So... Was it a red? (Casemiro / Hughes Royal Rumble)

Was it a red?

• Red

Votes: 409 33.5%
  • Yellow

Votes: 415 34.0%
  • No card

Votes: 270 22.1%
  • Not sure

Votes: 69 5.6%
  • Can you repeat the question?

Votes: 59 4.8%

• Total voters

OverratedOpinion

His hands clearly fell on his neck. It's just a storm in a teacup
This is what I thought. He was moving Hughes away with his hand on his shoulders then cause Hughes was pushing into him his hands slipped onto his neck and (stupidly) Casemiro kept pushing him away still.

His hands were on his neck for about 1 full second from what I saw and he was very clearly not trying to choke him. He then very quickly put his hands up with his palms showing and was trying to calm him down.

I feel like dozens of very slow motion replays 1 after the other make it look like he was trying to choke him when that clearly wasn't the case.

SER19

Are we talking about the Ayew punch in Fred's neck? Because absolutely no media source is

RuudtheRed

Yeah, you don't do that unless someone asks you to.
Louis van Gaal: "only in sex masochism"

It was a red, unfortunately, but the slow motion replay in VAR made it look worse than it actually was.

stoinz

It was stupid and nearly cost us the game but I missed players like this. Case was first in the palace players were surrounding Antony.

Waynne

Possibly, but shouldn't VAR only intervene for a clear and obvious error. I don't think it was either. Happy that we've got a team that sticks up for each other.
There are better ways to stick up for your mates than having your hand around an opposition players neck.

You just can't do that nowadays. It's not WWE like it used to be 30 years ago.

RedCurry

You freeze the frame, it’s a red. You watch it happen in real time, it’s not a red.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
By the books yes, but I hope the refs allow players to play by emotions a bit more. It was stupid but hardly very endangering to the players safety, certainly less so than Schlupp's push on Antony.

OldSchoolManc

Edited VAR for the referee to make it look worse than it was, but still shouldn’t have had hold of his collars.
Should have been at least a red for Palace too if that was fair.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
By the letter of the law yes...

By what should actually constitute a red card? Nah... These reds for hands on the face are pathetic. There's zero lasting damage...unlike a certain bad tackle from behind

arnie_ni

Andy gray and Richard keys are saying its not a red. That's all the evidence you need it was a red

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Any videos of this instead of going by still pictures?

from a picture ayew should be off too, clear hand on the neck

DevilRed

feck sake.

Literally the last person we needed to get a red.

Why couldn't it have been Fred or Lindelof or one of those chancers.

First time he has been shown a straight red in Europe too.

Matson

It was a red for me. You can't put your hands around a players neck no matter the intent and expect to get away with it. Casemiro is experienced enough to know better and shouldn't of put himself in that situation.

SirAnderson

The camera angle on the right makes it look very bad. But if you see the other angle, it actually looks like he is holding he's shirt collar and not wrapped around he's neck.

Ibi Dreams

Yes, clearly. Some were saying it was his shirt and not his neck - nonsense

Really stupid, as soon as that gets VAR checked they're always gonna give a red

ROFLUTION

Yes, but deliberate fouls like Schlupp’s should be punished harder too. Out to injure even if it’s by a push with the chest. Its the motive behind that matters. As cnutish as Carroll.

But one could argue Schlupp’s not a red by the book - but the rules need changing here as shoving with the chest has become the new (less punished) push after VAR has been introduced.

Ps hope the cnut gets injured.

.Phil1968

It's a term of endearment in Brazil.
Seriously I was at the Utd Arsenal brawl in the early 90s where there was worse than this, Ince put Limpar over the advertisement boards and that just ended with 2 yellows . However it's different times now and with VAR scrutinising everything that will always be a red unfortunately.

laughtersassassin

From the behind angle which they never showed the ref it looks like he is grabbing his jersey.

OmarUnited4ever

yeah, hard to argue against a sending off like that, it wasn't necessary for the issue to escalate that quickly, especially Antony jumping on Schlupp like that, damn!

HBFSTR00

Supports
Ten hag
Hughes clearly enjoyed it. so, no red for me.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Fred slapped him at some point so he'd have been off as well
Slapped him? It was light tap, sort of "come on lad, chill out" thing.

Completely unnecessary, as the hands around neck also were.

bdecuc

Any videos of this instead of going by still pictures?

from a picture ayew should be off too, clear hand on the neck
Well that's the problem. Still pictures and slow motion footage make it look much worse.

FriedClams

It is simply ridiculous that he will miss 3 games for that. That’s not fair at all.

AndySmith1990

It was a red. You're not allowed to put your hands around a players neck. We all know this. Accept it, learn from it and move on

Spaghetti

Mom's
The stills make it worse. There were much worse things than Casemiro’s neck hold (it was not a strangle, nor was it even in an aggressive way). The foul on Casemiro in the first half was much more dangerous than him restraining Hughes.

I could understand the red card more if it was only Hughes and Casemiro going at it, but there were about 15 of them all doing similar things.

arnie_ni

Slapped him? It was light tap, sort of "come on lad, chill out" thing.
Martial got sent of against spurs a few years ago for similar. The intention doesn't matter, if var picked it all up and done it "properly" Fred and ayew? Would have both seen red as well