So... Was it a red? (Casemiro / Hughes Royal Rumble)

Was it a red?

• Red

Votes: 409 33.5%
  • Yellow

Votes: 415 34.0%
  • No card

Votes: 270 22.1%
  • Not sure

Votes: 69 5.6%
  • Can you repeat the question?

Votes: 59 4.8%

• Total voters

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
There's literally photo and video evidence showing his hands around the lads neck. He's obviously not strangling him but the position of his hands are there for all to see. But when we live in a world where some still argue the earth is flat, I guess its no surprise than everything will be debated regardless of evidence
Take a look at post #256

clean-sheet-culkin

I'm don't think you can put your hands around a neck in any capacity and expect to get away with it, but if he was off for Violent Conduct we should appeal.

From the FA's Law 12:

Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made.
I would argue he certainly didn't use excessive force or brutality, thus probably deserved the sending off for being a dummy, but should only receive either a one or two match ban.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
De Gea’s not having it

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Like ETH said… a few players crosses the line but only one team gets picked out. The spirits there… the players stuck up for Antony because he could have been badly injured. It’s good that the players defend each other but they have to control their emotions and not go above the limits.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
If you grab somebody wearing a shirt by the throat then their collar will obviously be under their hands. It’s how clothes work.
You see his hands move down to the shoulders while still holding the shirt.

ok I give up

Trumpeter Whydah

Supports
Full Members
He didn’t initiate anything
Absolutely useless to go after the gentleman, even if said gentleman banters you.
Readable like a book. Then smacks one.

But, to be fair, I am on the outer spectre of how refs should handle brawls. To me, brawling is a disgrace almost no matter what, and very much a reason why Tom, Dick and Brady behave this way in Sunday league. And I won't stop blaming the troublemakers just because they wear a nice shirt.

To what tune?
:) Not fluent in that, unfortunately. Suggestions?

I think much is heated because the refs are notoriously bad, but that does not excuse hotheaded Antony trying to step in for the ref.

Dobba

Normally you have to wait until later in the week to see the exact same thing not given a card nevermind a red one. VAR outdid themselves this time with everyone in the booth all coincidentally blinking when the Ayew incident appeared on screen.

Cantonalegod

No. He was holding his collar of his shirt the whole time. The moment and angle the VAR showed the ref made it look like Casemiro was choking him. If you're making ref go and look at it, feckin show him the whole thing.
Exactly this

Judas

Open to offers
It’s obviously a red, but there was enough there from other players that it shouldn’t have been the only one dished out. He’s an idiot for raising his hands like that.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Guarantee the FA will extend it as though he’s throttling him to death given we have a cup final on the horizon. They’ve always liked to make an example out of our players.

criticalanalysis

Thanks mate.

2:10 onwards for those interested.

I don't mind a card or even red card given if that's the rules and standards but the inconsistency throughout the match and not retrospectively looking at other incidents is the kicker. Disgraceful to call that a red imo of all the things to look at.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

Do people still think that’s a red card and violent conduct?!
I wouldn’t argue against it being a red but it defintely wasn’t hands on neck choke that I keep seeing people say it was.

there were so many other hands on necks during that melee it could have been about 4 red cards going by the case sending off though

Apokalips

It's probably a red and dumb but the slow mo and stills make it much worse than it really was.

Hughes didn't react as though he was being choked and pretty sure he went for someone else after and Cas tried to grab him to pull him away again.

Munkehboi

In real time it seemed so innocuous. Regardless, you can't just raise your hands. Thankfully it will be Leeds and Leicester where we will miss him so it could be worse.

Strelok

I agree with Ten Hag, yeah.
Imo ETH doesn't agree with that decision.

He said something like when you freeze it he crossed the line. So imo what he actually mean was Var did a really shitty job. That's why he said we would appeal.

Matthew84!

Has anyone thought perhaps Casemiro done this on purpose? He'll sit out the league games leaving him fresh for the Barcelona games, plus can't pick up any suspensions before the cup final?