So... Was it a red? (Casemiro / Hughes Royal Rumble)

Was it a red?

• Red

Votes: 409 33.5%
  • Yellow

Votes: 415 34.0%
  • No card

Votes: 270 22.1%
  • Not sure

Votes: 69 5.6%
  • Can you repeat the question?

Votes: 59 4.8%

• Total voters

JustinC00

It’s as clear a decision as the ref will get all season.
only if you look at it from 1 angle, slowed down and freeze framed at a certain point which is where it ends and loops. if you look it in regular time from multiple angles never a red

Smores

A lot of RAWK like posts in here. It's an inarguable red unless you're showing extreme bias.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
only if you look at it from 1 angle, slowed down and freeze framed at a certain point which is where it ends and loops. if you look it in regular time from multiple angles never a red
Again, he put his hands up. That’s the relevant bit. The law states that’s a red
All the other stuff is irrelevant

JustinC00

Again, he put his hands up. That’s the relevant bit. The law states that’s a red
All the other stuff is irrelevant
VIOLENT CONDUCT: Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made. In addition, a player who, when not challenging for the ball, deliberately strikes an opponent or any other person on the head or face with the hand or arm, is guilty of violent conduct unless the force used was negligible.

He never strikes his head or face, he grabs his kit, then puts his hand on his shoulder and then takes it off, all in less than a few seconds

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
You contradict yourself
You put your hands up like that it’s a red card all day long regardless of anything else. Those are the rules
Where his hands are is a matter of viewing angle and opinion. And there is actually no rule that says "your fingers cannot be X inches away from a throat"

If we ant to talk the rules, the rule says: "A player is guilty of violent conduct if he uses excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball. He is also guilty of violent conduct if he uses excessive force or brutality against a team-mate, spectator, match official or any other person."

I didn't see any excessive force or brutality.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
VIOLENT CONDUCT: Violent conduct is when a player uses or attempts to use excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball, or against a team-mate, team official, match official, spectator or any other person, regardless of whether contact is made. In addition, a player who, when not challenging for the ball, deliberately strikes an opponent or any other person on the head or face with the hand or arm, is guilty of violent conduct unless the force used was negligible.

He never strikes his head or face, he grabs his kit, then puts his hand on his shoulder and then takes it off, all in less than a few seconds
Would it not fall under "excessive force" when not challenging for the ball?

ExoduS

Very, very soft. Naive from Casemiro but that was not for a red card.

golden_blunder

Staff

Put his hands up. End of story. Easy one for me. What I’m pissed about is that more players didn’t get punished

Bratt

You contradict yourself
You put your hands up like that it’s a red card all day long regardless of anything else. Those are the rules
If rules were to be followed it should have been several reds, and even more yellows in that brawl, that’s my point.
As I said, probably a red if it was a separate incident, but a good ref should see that this is a heated situation where many players are in the wrong, and just let it slide.
Also, if it was so obviously a red as you say, wouldn’t VAR just give it instead of having the ref go watching the replays?

golden_blunder

Staff
Where his hands are is a matter of viewing angle and opinion. And there is actually no rule that says "your fingers cannot be X inches away from a throat"

If we ant to talk the rules, the rule says: "A player is guilty of violent conduct if he uses excessive force or brutality against an opponent when not challenging for the ball. He is also guilty of violent conduct if he uses excessive force or brutality against a team-mate, spectator, match official or any other person."

I didn't see any excessive force or brutality.
I would argue that he did use excessive force

it will be interesting to hear MOTD thoughts tonight

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

@Dion It’s the use of the word “strikes” that differentiates what Casemiro did from a legitimate red card. He didn’t swing an arm, elbow or fist he didn’t even shove Hughes in the head or face. When you watch the full footage, in real time, you don’t see anything that merits being sent off for violent conduct.

Having said that, I don’t think it’s worth appealing. As they will only circle the wagons. That’s what they do.

Side note. There’s a fair bit of brutality in deliberately shoving an opposition player down a slope onto concrete. Yet that was only a yellow card.

golden_blunder

Staff
Okay, I think we’re kind of agreeing after all
Oh yeah I agree the ref lost control and should have carded several

but as for the question that was posed “was it a red?”. In my opinion it is, he gave the ref no choice

Trumpeter Whydah

Supports
Full Members
It's literally impossible to tell how much force he's exerting with his thumbs on his throat... If any at all.
I hope that when you guys discuss the incident in your cast, you restrain from talking about such minute details (although it's what the mob likes to hear) and instead focus on the bigger picture: the why and the what for of brawls, the example these give and how a much better system of outside help - see NFL f.e. - could handle these transparently, so as to completely rule out hotheaded players attempts at serving justice, which is the refs job. Of course, the ref was poor before, but that's an explanation for hotheadedness, not an excuse.

Put his hands up. End of story. Easy one for me. What I’m pissed about is that more players didn’t get punished
Exactly!
Cards festivals until they get it, and get it they will quickly.

Dion

Justin is wrong, the neck counts as part of the head/face.
@Dion It’s the use of the word “strikes” that differentiates what Casemiro did from a legitimate red card. He didn’t swing an arm, elbow or fist he didn’t even shove Hughes in the head or face. When you watch the full footage, in real time, you don’t see anything that merits being sent off for violent conduct.
You don't need to swing for it to be considered a "strike". Xhaka got done for a similar one where he reaches up and grabs the throat. The technical guidance on what constitutes a strike is attempting to touch another player when not challenging for the ball. It's why intentionally touching heads with an opponent even if you don't "butt" them is technically a red card.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Having said that, I don’t think it’s worth appealing. As they will only circle the wagons. That’s what they do.

Side note. There’s a fair bit of brutality in deliberately shoving an opposition player down a slope onto concrete. Yet that was only a yellow card.
There was absolutely zero violent intent or excessive intent in what he did. He held the guy for a couple of seconds and then said “calm down” to him and they both had an amicable exchange straight after it and moved on.

What the VAR panel did was ridiculous. They basically did a directors cut, showing the worst angle, in slow motion with none of the context.

Bratt

Oh yeah I agree the ref lost control and should have carded several

but as for the question that was posed “was it a red?”. In my opinion it is, he gave the ref no choice
But should the ref then really give out three reds and six yellows (not exact numbers) in these situations, or should he, given the circumstances, reprimand the players and maybe give the two captains a yellow?
If we go back to the old united-arsenal games there wouldn’t be many players left at the field if you should follow the rule book as strict as you say.

Rusholme Ruffian

This is where you're wrong. The rules are very clear.

Intentional contact with the head/face when not challenging for the ball is an automatic red card for violent conduct unless the contact is negligible. Which obviously given Casemiro is trying to prevent Hughes moving somewhere (and succeeding) means it obviously wasn't negligible.
Is that second paragraph correct? Cos someone else posted the wording on violent conduct earlier in the thread and it was:

In addition, a player who, when not challenging for the ball, deliberately strikes an opponent or any other person on the head or face with the hand or arm, is guilty of violent conduct unless the force used was negligible.

Whereas you have it written as 'intentional contact'. I'm not sure you could argue that Casemiro struck him could you? Especially with force that was more than negligible?

CloneMC16

I wouldn't call it 'violent conduct', but he put his hands around someone's neck. If you do that, you're asking for trouble. If that happened to one of our players, most people here would ask for a red card to be given. Casemiro is an idiot for doing what he did. I expect more from him and our other experienced players. He's a big miss for the next 3 games.

city-puma

By the laws of the game it’s a red, you simply can’t put your hands up there. Regardless of all the other stuff which isn’t relevant. He put his hands up, therefore it’s a red. That’s the laws of the game.
Sorry, it’s completely nonsense. The laws of the game has no single word like you said.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Justin is wrong, the neck counts as part of the head/face.

You don't need to swing for it to be considered a "strike". Xhaka got done for a similar one where he reaches up and grabs the throat. The technical guidance on what constitutes a strike is attempting to touch another player when not challenging for the ball. It's why intentionally touching heads with an opponent even if you don't "butt" them is technically a red card.
Correct. Which is why I also mentioned that he didn’t shove him either. I refuse to believe that technical guidance exists which states that merely touching another player is always considered as striking them.

I don’t remember the Xhaka one but maybe that ticked the “excessive force or brutality” box? I mean, if Casemiro had Homer Simpson’d him by the neck then I wouldn’t be arguing against the red card at all.

Last edited:

Gerald G

Yellows would have sufficed - both for Casemiro and Ayew.

I hate that anytime a player touches someone's face then red cards get shown - like when someone goes head to head and a player gets sent off. I've always been frustrated at it.

Wheato

Having got home from the match, and seen the footage in real time I cannot comprehend how that was deemed a red card. But I've also seen footage of the slowed down still that the ref was shown and it's looks like his is choking Hughes. VAR is a disgrace, you can show something in a freeze frame which is out of context. Casemiro is holding up one hand telling Hughes to calm down, then they end up hugging.

On the bright side, Casemiro gets some much needed rest before Barcelona away. And the EFL final, so at least we can be thankful for that.

NoPace

Can't grab a neck in almost any context really. Vibes are simply too murder-y. Probably costs us points against Leeds once, though Sabitzer looked fit enough to be solid there and Fred is in good form.

Ayew should probably get a game or 2 from what it looks like.

Glorio

There were many people a lot more violent than him in that melee.

He had both hands on the Palace player, sure, but I don't get why that is considered more of an offence than the number of players there full on shoving other players with all their strength. I also don't get why his was the only action reviewed among many.

city-puma

The one should be punished is the referee. When Anthony was bumped violently by Schulop, he didn’t intervene. It’s the reason the followings occurred.

Glorio

100% agree with this

city-puma

Can't grab a neck in almost any context really. Vibes are simply too murder-y. Probably costs us points against Leeds once, though Sabitzer looked fit enough to be solid there and Fred is in good form.

Ayew should probably get a game or 2 from what it looks like.
Stop talking nonsense. He didn’t grab Hughes’s neck!

Sviken

I wouldn't call it 'violent conduct', but he put his hands around someone's neck. If you do that, you're asking for trouble. If that happened to one of our players, most people here would ask for a red card to be given. Casemiro is an idiot for doing what he did. I expect more from him and our other experienced players. He's a big miss for the next 3 games.
Absolute bullshit. Nobody here was whining about the Crystal Palace players throwing punches prior to Casemiro's sending off.

lex talionis

There’s zero chance the red card will be overturned. But it’s not hard to see the punishment being reduced to a one match ban. If, that is, an appeal if filed, which I would encourage. There was clearly no violent intent, but it’s also clear that a player cannot grab the throat of another player.

Dion

Is that second paragraph correct? Cos someone else posted the wording on violent conduct earlier in the thread and it was:

In addition, a player who, when not challenging for the ball, deliberately strikes an opponent or any other person on the head or face with the hand or arm, is guilty of violent conduct unless the force used was negligible.

Whereas you have it written as 'intentional contact'. I'm not sure you could argue that Casemiro struck him could you? Especially with force that was more than negligible?
I have quoted that rule multiple times in the thread already myself :D . The confusion you have is you're working on a definition of strike which doesn't match what the referees use. It's intentional contact with another player when not challenging for the ball. That's it, that's all strike means in that context.

Dion

Correct. Which is why I also mentioned that he didn’t shove him either. I refuse to believe that technical guidance exists which states that merely touching another player is always considered as striking them.

I don’t remember the Xhaka one but maybe that ticked the “excessive force or brutality” box? I mean, if Casemiro had Homer Simpson’d him by the neck then I wouldn’t be arguing against the red card at all.
It is, which is why there are caveats for excessive force or brutality when it's not at the head/face.

Striking someone isn't an offence in and of itself, it's when it's excessive, brutal or on the head/face.

Wheato

Jordan Ayew has Fred round the neck. No card??

Eriksen out for the rest of the season. No card given for this?

Martinez elbowed in the eye. No card given for this?

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
It's a red, he was stupid for putting his hands around another player's throat. Anyone arguing against it either doesn't understand the rules or is letting their bias get the best of them.

Wise up, chill out, he'll be rested for the more important fixtures coming up.