So what do we think? the club's targets for January were: Haaland, Fernandes and Bellingham

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Please don't come into this thread moaning! The point, whether we got these players or not, is about the quality and profile of them, and whether that is showing we're trying to head in the right direction!

I don't think we thought Haaland would be going anywhere but here - he's the hottest available talent that was available for the January window, and but for a loathsome agent (who does right by his clients) I think there was no doubt about him coming here.

We also tabled a solid bid for one of the most prodigious youngsters in the country.

Bruno has been Sporting's star player for a long time and looks like a player who should bring quality to the first xi.

IF things had've worked out as the club intended, that would have been a stellar window, no? Not only in terms of addressing our needs, but also in terms of profile, expenditure and future-proofing.

It looks a lot better than going round looking for names and short-term fixes, no? Upon reflection, it also lends itself the question of whether this is the kind of summer we can look forward to.

Again, please no whining, as the thread is not for that!

Chairman Steve

I think we might have had Haaland if shitbag wasn’t his agent, making him dream of using clubs as stepping stones to gigantic paydays every three years.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
We’ve done ok. Not brilliant but ok. Would have loved to tie up Bellingham bit fear we missed that boat too now.

AFC NimbleThumb

We can demonise his agent all we like, the fact is Haaland now plays for Dortmund & we missed out on a premier talent. @Zehner put it best in the Haaland thread itself so I won’t even attempt to paraphrase him. Simply put he is the worlds best young forward & we are no longer one of the worlds best teams - his team held all the cards & we lost out massively.

Since when do we celebrate attempting to sign the worlds premier striking talent but ending up with Ighalo?

Bellingham. ‘We tabled a solid bid’, what does this actually mean?! Why are we giving out credit for missing out on targets, can’t we just congratulate them on the transfers they make not the ones we hear speculated. There was a time where we would bid for prodigious talent & you know, actually sign them but now we’re just happy the press write a clickbait piece about it.

The real sign of progress will be if our “transfers committee” can come up with adequate Plan B’s to those we’ve missed.

I’ll be told I’m moaning [cause that’s what a difference in opinion is generally labelled here] but I’m honestly curious as to why we’re praising people for speculated moves that if true attempts were made were actually failures.

I too like the profile of player we are rumoured to be after but this window isn’t a masterclass.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Haaland and Fernandes. Bellingham is one that can be done anytime, given he would likely be loaned back anyway.

hungrywing

What really messes with your head is: what if we'd gotten Bruno in the summer and he'd racked up nine or ten assists by now and we went for Haaland like we did and Raiola didn't have the 'you'll get no service there and it will hamper your development' card to play.

But yes, I agree the targets are encouraging.

That being said, I'm not sure it's necessarily an indicator of a major positive swing (read, no more Woodward signings like Pogba) in the way we're looking to recruit. We'll get a better idea of that this coming summer.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Haaland and fernandes would have been stellar. Pleased with fernandes but think not getting haaland is a sign -and now also a cause - of the clubs fading star, usurious ballbag of an agent or not.

ReallyUSA

Great ambition. Haaland was a tough situation, but I understand and respect both sides. We had the money, but the kid and his handlers had all the leverage. Fernades is a great replacement for Pogba.

Ace of Spades

It is fine. We can get Bellingham in the summer and send him on loan again for the season. Whenever he moves, we will be there and we are willing to pay the most among the clubs interested, and their club needs the money.

Haaland was disappointing, but understandably we did not agree with the release clause. Don't think we have put any release clauses in the PL era, and we also do not give any guarantees about playing time. The more annoying bit was we did not seem to have planned for a back up, hope the club takes this time until the summer window to get things sorted.

Fernandes is a much needed signing, not too young and has matured as an induvidual. Has plenty of experience and can be counted as a senior player. We have a lot of talented youngsters in the academy, we need some great quality, experienced players in the team till they get settled and develop which can take time.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
People always tend to like our targets. It's what happens with our signings after that sucks the life out of everyone.

Mr Smith

One of three is not so bad in January, especially when it was probably in our most urgent position.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Sadly this is how transfer windows work for most teams, you set your targets and back ups and then compromise as it gets complicated!

Great targets, I was genuinely surprised you didn’t get Haaland, but that’s life. Fernandes could and should turn out to be a very good signing and Ighalo, I think is a stroke of leftfield low risk genius!

Great targets but good result from the window too, and you could still get Bellingham in the summer.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Haaland was a fine target. I'm one of the few who don't mind Martial as our CF, and I love seeing Greenwood get game time, too, but I was still all for this signing. The added competition, which some weren't keen on, plus having a potentially very good player, would've been nice.

Bellingham I don't have an opinion on as I've never watched him.

Fernandes I'm not too keen on in terms of the profile we're looking at for midfielders. I'd rather we go for more technical ones who can resist pressing opposition, can work in tight spaces, is very consistent with their standard of play, etc. Bruno, to me, is too much of a highlights player. Great moments here and there, but his general play leaves a lot to be desired.

Overall, I think we're in desperate need of players who can still excel in tight spaces, are strong on the ball when opposition press, and have good technical ability - which includes dribbling - and I don't think this group addressed the issue. So, while it's not bad, I don't think it's great either.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
Targets were fine but everything seems poorly executed, like there's no actual plan or preparation although it could had been worse.

GeordieRed

While Haaland was the right target, we dodged a bullet with that release clause.

And as frustrating as it was to see the Bruno negotiations dragged out, landing him at £70k a week is fantastic business considering how problematic our wage structure had become.

TheReligion

Abusive
We can demonise his agent all we like, the fact is Haaland now plays for Dortmund & we missed out on a premier talent. @Zehner put it best in the Haaland thread itself so I won’t even attempt to paraphrase him. Simply put he is the worlds best young forward & we are no longer one of the worlds best teams - his team held all the cards & we lost out massively.

Since when do we celebrate attempting to sign the worlds premier striking talent but ending up with Ighalo?

Bellingham. ‘We tabled a solid bid’, what does this actually mean?! Why are we giving out credit for missing out on targets, can’t we just congratulate them on the transfers they make not the ones we hear speculated. There was a time where we would bid for prodigious talent & you know, actually sign them but now we’re just happy the press write a clickbait piece about it.

The real sign of progress will be if our “transfers committee” can come up with adequate Plan B’s to those we’ve missed.

I’ll be told I’m moaning [cause that’s what a difference in opinion is generally labelled here] but I’m honestly curious as to why we’re praising people for speculated moves that if true attempts were made were actually failures.

I too like the profile of player we are rumoured to be after but this window isn’t a masterclass.
Dortmund aren't one of the world's best teams. We pulled the plug on the deal.

Champagne Football

It's a great window and hopefully time will show we did well. January is a nightmare to find real quality. We landed a player who Pochettino and Spurs really wanted last summer, and Spurs have been very effective with transfers the past few seasons.

Ighalo is a top striker. There's tons of players in China who would walk into our first XI, Hamsik, Paulinho etc so it's nothing to be ashamed of landing a talented player from there.

If Ighalo and Bruno guide us to top 4, then the window will be seen as a huge success.

dove

Judge and Woodward mucked up the haaland deal. It had zero to do with alleged Raiola demands.

Because Dortmund would never cave in to them demands Judge and Woodward claimed stopped them...
You must have been in the same room where negotiations took place. Got any more inside info?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Happy with all the targets.

Disappointing to miss out on Haaland but it's fair to say Raiola was never going to send him here with glowing reports.

Dortmund probably IS the better option for him as a next step, but im sure he would have been a star here as he's quite frankly better than Martial as a goal scorer already IMO.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Good targets and good profile players. I’m not sure Haaland would have had the same impact with us though, tbf.

Without a functioning midfield and right wing, he’d have struggled here at the moment. So sorting those issues out first is the priority.

Jacckk1985

Thinks we should ban Niall
Judge and Woodward mucked up the haaland deal. It had zero to do with alleged Raiola demands.

Because Dortmund would never cave in to them demands Judge and Woodward claimed stopped them...
Guess you were the fly on the wall there? Want to tell us more in depth information or just continue with slander and lies?

Champagne Football

If its true that Raiola insisted on inserting a low buy-out clause, say 70 million, then it was best to walk away from the deal.

Erling probably dreams to play for City, and might want to wait a season or two to see if he can end up there.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
You must have been in the same room where negotiations took place. Got any more inside info?
It's simply putibg 2 and 2 together. They claimed Raiola wanted a low release fee and he and the father wanted high percentage claims on a future sell.

If that was true. How the hell did a club (Dortmund) that sold a dembele and pulisic for abnormal profits cave in to such demands to get the player?

And bear in mind we're talking of a Woodward and Judge team who 'negotiated' for Maguire all summer yet STILL paid what was demanded for Maguire. A year after deaming him 'too expensive" at a cheaper price.....

AFC NimbleThumb

Dortmund aren't one of the world's best teams. We pulled the plug on the deal.
I assume you’re referring to the briefing we pulled the deal because he wanted a buy out clause yet we signed Ighalo on a short term 6 month deal so a few years of the best young forward in europe vs 6 months of. . . a Prem ‘legend’ [in Watford at least].
You don’t turn down a deal based on thinking the buy-out which is double what you’d pay anyway is short term only to sign a striker on 6 month loan.

@Zehner puts it far better below.

Pulling the plug because we are they might Manchester United’ was more short term in its thinking than actually signing the player.

You also don’t have to be Real, Barca or City to be a better run club than we are. Dortmund hold an attractive options in comparison to this current United.

Of course I understand that buyout clauses have negative consequences for clubs and I also fully understand that elite clubs are willing to pay higher wages in order to compensate players for not having one. However, I'm speaking of this particular case, not the general one.

For me, your arguments ultimately come down to pride and pride is generally speaking a bad advisor when doing business. Assuming that Haaland generally preferred you over Dortmund, the choice for you was between signing him with a buyout option or not signing him at all. You guys think "we're Manchester United. Barcelona and Madrid don't grant players buyout clauses and we are also a big club, so why should we?" when you should actually be asking "why can Madrid and Barcelona sign those players without clauses and we can't?"I know it's a bitter pill to swallow but at the very moment, you don't have this third option of paying higher wages and not grant buyout clauses at all anymore. You are all like "Dortmund is a selling club, we aren't" when the whole point of being a "selling club" is that you develop players of a quality you otherwise wouldn't get your hands on. And that's exactly the problem you're having: The elite isn't willing to sign for you any longer. If a player nowadays plans his career, you aren't his ultimate destination. You may be considered as an intermediate stop but not the club he wants to spend his prime years at. Acting like a top club doesn't automatically make you one. Imagine a random small club would just copy that behaviour and in negotiations with a highly promising youngster would say "no, we won't give you a buyout clause. Sign for us without one or sign for someone else." This would just come across as silly. You can only play that card when you actually have the position of strength necessary for it and United IMO lacks this international standing.

In essence, you are still acting like you're one of the absolute top clubs when you actually aren't any longer. My point is that instead of refusing reality you should accept your current position and think of a way to regain your previous status. And for that, Haaland would've been a great signing. You argue "we develop him for 2 years and then he signs for City and Liverpool? Nah." but you'd have sorted out your striker problems for 2.5 years with a guy who's already good enough to lead the line at a top club and guarantee you 20+ goals a season and if he eventually leaves then this sends a signal into the world that improves your reputation as a good place to develop for young players. And in the meantime of those 2.5 years you'd have time to scout a successor for Haaland without pressure. And if he really leaves for one of your biggest rivals, what's the problem? If he goes there after spending 1.5 or 2.5 years at Dortmund, you'll get the same result.

So in the end, all of your issues with this deal are of symbolic nature. I don't get this kind of thinking. Imagine for once that you applied the same strategic approach Dortmund is currently applying. Take a step back, build up a young, talented squad and sign players like Hakimi, Sancho, Haaland, Brandt, Dembele, etc. and don't block their development by having (or signing) experienced players in your squad that may be just a little bit better right now but ultimately have a much lower ceiling. Over 1-2 years, you'd assemble an extremely talented squad with a great promising player in every position, pretty much like Dortmund has now. The only difference is, you have the financial prowess Dortmund lacks. That means you have much better chances of actually retaining those players. Imagine Dortmund could go into negotiations with Sancho, offer twice his salary and say that the strategy for the upcoming years is to hold this squad together, spend big on another two or three top stars and ultimately challenge for big titles. You certainly could. Of course one or two of those players would still leave but that doesn't matter, a club can compensate that. Liverpool also lost Coutinho who seemed irreplaceable for quite a while. And they lost Sterling to City. That's part of the business, everyone has to go through it.

Thing is, you want to make the second step before the first. You want to avoid the uncomfortable part and you are doing that for far too long already, essentially making matters worse.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I believe Håland and Bruno were the main targets.
Bellingham, Ighalo & King were alternatives. The last two were panic-alternatives as the club didn't look for more than one proper striker alternative. I don't think the club had a budget for Bellingham, Bruno and Håland.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Good targets and good profile players. I’m not sure Haaland would have had the same impact with us though, tbf.

Without a functioning midfield and right wing, he’d have struggled here at the moment. So sorting those issues out first is the priority.
But the idea they had in mind, seemingly, was to combine him with Bruno, who provides that kind of forward with opportunities via both passes and spills/rebounds from his shooting.

As an overall plan, there seems to be semblance to it, which is not something I'd associate with our windows for a long time.

Alabaster Codify7

I'll tell you what I think.

Fernandes - a player we rejected in the summer (wrongly).
Haaland - the hottest prospect in Europe that Ole knows.
Bellingham - same as above but English.

We do not have a scouting network. If our manager wants a player, our board literally target the most well-known option.

RUCK4444

But the idea they had in mind, seemingly, was to combine him with Bruno, who provides that kind of forward with opportunities via both passes and spills/rebounds from his shooting.

As an overall plan, there seems to be semblance to it, which is not something I'd associate with our windows for a long time.
I agree, also with the OP.

Less scattergun and more structure to the targets.
People will throw Ighalo as a reason why this isn’t true and refuse to see that loan signing for what it is (a body in attack until the end of the season.)

If we had managed those three in Jan it would have been an outstanding Jan window.

Granted we can’t give praise for something we didn’t achieve but I agree with the sentiment that the approach is more structured.

Personally I’ve been happy with our recruitment so far.

Maguire, AWB, James, Fernandes;
Those are all a step up in quality to what we had and we can focus on specific outstanding needs in the summer.

RUCK4444

I'll tell you what I think.

Fernandes - a player we rejected in the summer (wrongly).
Haaland - the hottest prospect in Europe that Ole knows.
Bellingham - same as above but English.

We do not have a scouting network. If our manager wants a player, our board literally target the most well-known option.
Ok so we should use the fact we approach young, clearly talented, footballers as a negative??

I agree our scouting isn’t the best but, ya know, scouts will probably come back and agree that the most talented players are the ones we should buy.

TheReligion

Abusive
I assume you’re referring to the briefing we pulled the deal because he wanted a buy out clause yet we signed Ighalo on a short term 6 month deal so a few years of the best young forward in europe vs 6 months of. . . a Prem ‘legend’ [in Watford at least].
You don’t turn down a deal based on thinking the buy-out which is double what you’d pay anyway is short term only to sign a striker on 6 month loan.

@Zehner puts it far better below.

Pulling the plug because we are they might Manchester United’ was more short term in its thinking than actually signing the player.

You also don’t have to be Real, Barca or City to be a better run club than we are. Dortmund hold an attractive options in comparison to this current United.
Yeah you're rambling now. It's ironic you talk of briefings yet your opinion is subjective and based on nothing credible. The only credible information available is what has been publicly released yet to you this isn't valid as it doesn't fit your narrative so you call it a briefing. The rest of what you say is emotive bollocks I can't be arsed with.

Believe what you want. Just keep the moaning down please. It's tedious.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I think people overstate the influence an agent has on the player. They might make a deal more difficult but if Haaland was that set on coming here regardless of anything else, theres no way his agent would have the last say.

I'm guessing it was more that he wanted to make sure he'd play enough, and also probably wanted the rekease clause in order to not tie himself to a club that might not reach the hrights he wants to.

From the stuff coming from Ole and the club it sounds like the problem is more that United aren't willing to accept they aren't top of the tree anymore and so can't dictate things if another club makes a player a more reasonable offer. So I think that one of again on stupidity at the United end of the chain.

There is nothing outrageous about the deal Haaland has at Dortmund so it makes no sense at all why United stood their ground rather than matching it.

I am very happy with the players we seem to go for. They are generally the right type and in the positions we need. I still think the process we seem to go about getting them is an absolute mess. We could hace signed Haaland and could have had Bruno 6 months ago. If we'ddone both of those things our season would likely be in a much better position than it is.

Zen86

It’s ironic that people suggest us not getting Haaland is a sign of our diminishing standing in world football, and yet him coming here with a release clause, quite clearly using us as a stepping stone to somewhere else would have been fine. We quite rightly told his agent to **** off.

Reactions: Fortitude

Kag

We’ve signed four players that all play in positions that needed to be improved. At the very least, it’s a step up from the lunacy that was presided over under Mourinho’s influence.

Pogba will leave in the summer (which I still think is a shame) and you would expect the club to replace him to the tune of two midfielders. A first-team striker is clearly on the cards, too.

We’ve managed to get rid of so much rubbish within the squad, whether it be attitude-related (Lukaku) or those that are happy to fester (Young/Darmian); I’ve said all season that I can see a plan and I maintain that viewpoint. Results are inconsistent, yes, but we’ve been without key players all season long.

The summer is crucial from a squad point of view. The board - and those responsible for identifying players - must continue on this path.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
There is nothing outrageous about the deal Haaland has at Dortmund so it makes no sense at all why United stood their ground rather than matching it.
Depends how you look at it.

Arguably, we should feel confident enough to allow the release clause: he hits the ground running, keeps developing, turns into an undeniable world beater - and meanwhile United get back to challenging properly. So, in a year or two we simply offer him an improved contract and he opts to stay at United (rather than fecking off to Real - or whatever).

The flipside is this: we're building a team for the future, it could take some time (to get back to properly challenging for the biggest prizes), we don't want to face a scenario in which the player leaves prematurely (as it were) because of a relatively low release clause.

At any rate, this Haaland business doesn't jibe with the "nobody wants to come to United, we're a joke" notion. Because it seems we could have landed him - if we wanted to (i.e. agreed to the personal terms in question).