So what made you become a United Fan?

SAred

Lee Martin Scores , Sir Alex legacy begins

United has one of the biggest worldwide fan bases of any football team, why with all the many teams in the world did you choose United to be your Team of choice?

a) When did you start supporting United?
b) Which Player when you started supporting United was your Favorite?
c) Which is your favorite player since supporting United until now?
d) Which Player is your favorite in the team now?
e) Best Player that has played for United?
f) Favorite Game?
g) Favorite Kit?
h) Favorite United Team? which season.

Interest to hear how you ended up supporting United.

sifi36

My family are all United supporters.

a) When did you start supporting United? 1996
b) Which Player when you started supporting United was your Favorite? Beckham
c) Which is your favorite player since supporting United until now? Scholes
d) Which Player is your favorite in the team now? Martinez
e) Best Player that has played for United? Ronaldo
f) Favorite Game? Champions league semi final vs Arsenal at the Emirates in 2009
g) Favorite Kit? 12-13 home
h) Favorite United Team? which season. 07-08

Brophs

The One and Only
So what made you become a United Fan? Robbo. Once you’ve seen him play, you can’t go back.

a) When did you start supporting United? 1985
b) Which Player when you started supporting United was your Favorite? Robbo
c) Which is your favorite player since supporting United until now? Robbo
d) Which Player is your favorite in the team now? I don’t really have a favourite. Until this season I hated them all equally.
e) Best Player that has played for United? Roy Keane
f) Favorite Game? 1999 CL
g) Favorite Kit? Not bothered with kits. I don’t really notice them.
h) Favorite United Team? which season 1999

pacifictheme

Nothing made me want to. I always have been. I don't remember not supporting united.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Bryan Robson and then hearing the history of 58/68. Seemed mythical.

a) When did you start supporting United? 1985
b) Which Player when you started supporting United was your Favorite? Bryan Robson
c) Which is your favorite player since supporting United until now? Robbo,Keane,Scholes,Becks,Ronnie can’t split them
e) Best Player that has played for United? Best. Question answers itself.
f) Favorite Game? 1999 CL final
g) Favorite Kit? 87 home or away
h) Favorite United Team? which season 1999

Good thread.

Slon

a) When did you start supporting United? Lost home game against Fenerbahce in CL. When I heard it is first home game lost in cups in 38 or so years I thought the team must be special. That was the moment i started. Before it was only Real Milan and to some extend Bayern. Now only Man. Utd.
b) Which Player when you started supporting United was your Favorite? Scholes/Giggs
c) Which is your favorite player since supporting United until now? Scholes/Roy
d) Which Player is your favorite in the team now? De Gea
f) Favorite Game? Bayern/Tottenham(5:3)
g) Favorite Kit? Vodafone one
h) Favorite United Team? which season. 2006-2008.

Bocca9978

Had joined a Sunday league team, didn’t support anyone for the first year. Mate supported United, 7 year old me liked the Red Devils thing.
Mid 80’s so grew into it, was delighted when glory came.

Trequarista10

I started supporting United because from as young as I can remember, because my old brother told me to. I was probably 4? I can remember watching him use ceefax/teletext to check the scores when I was too young to use them myself. Now, the official story goes that my Grandad, who has supported United since he was a teenager, was the prompt for my brother to support United. And that's a nice story, because my Grandad started following United when United were in the old Division Two. However being realistic and cynical, I think my brother was just a glory supporter, as he also instructed me to support Bath in Rugby Union, and Warwickshire in the CCC, who just so happened to be the two best teams as well at the time, and we had no connection to them.

Being told to support United and actually supporting United just blends into one for me. I suppose my Grandad helped as he was a fountain of knowledge of United history. I remember the Cantona, Ince, Kanchelskis and Hughes era a little bit, but more from magazines than actually watching the football, but it was only really when the class of 92 broke through that I became more interested, as it coincided with me being allowed to stay up late to watch Match of the Day, United playing in the Champions League on ITV, and then Euro '96 a bit later. My grandparents lived a couple minutes away from my primary school so I'd stay over some nights, and if United were on in the Champions League, every time United scored my Grandad would pour himself a whiskey and put a sip of his beer in a glass for me. The first ever episode of Match of the Day I watched was the infamous "you'll never win anything with kids" episode. Cantona was still the main man at that point and I obviously played football with my collar turned up on my United kit - but the first real hero moment for me was Beckham after his halfway line goal vs Wimbeldon. However Scholes was the player I associated with as I was a short kid and played as a midfielder or a number 10 (for some reason we played 12 a side until I was like 8 or 9, and we played a 4412 formation). Weirdly I also really liked Phil Neville because he was the youngest of the lot and playing left and right side seemed incredible to me. And then Solksjaer came along, and the coaches at my team called me "baby faced assassin" because I was young looking and scored goals, so he became a favourite too.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
I was not allowed to watch football until I got to high school, and I was interested in United because my 3 best friends were United fans.

United has one of the biggest worldwide fan bases of any football team, why with all the many teams in the world did you choose United to be your Team of choice?

Cantona
Cantona
Eriksen
Cantona
f) Favorite Game?
2-1 Fa Cup Semi 1999 v Arsenal
g) Favorite Kit?
None

OlsensHummelBoots

Indoctrinated by my father.

First cup final I remember 76, I can laugh about it now as I've indoctrinated my two kids.

United was the one thing me and my father could talk about.

Poor sod got dementia now and has no idea what the fuuck is going on. I still go down my mam's to watch a game with him. He only recognises it fleetingly but its worth it for them few seconds.

Happy fuucker me.

UTFR

Last edited:

Josh 76

Supporting Utd - early 80s
Childhood hero - Bryan Robson
Fav goal - 1985 cup final Whiteside
Fav game - 1999 fA cup semi v Arsenal
Fav Team - 1994 double winners
Fav player - Roy Keane
Fav Kit - 1985 home kit

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Cantona
Rooney
Rashford
Ronaldo
f) Favorite Game?
CL Final against Bayern
g) Favorite Kit?
Sharp kits
1998-1999

Sparky Rhiwabon

Mine was indirectly due to this game in 1957 when my home town club Wrexham played the Busby Babes at home in the FA Cup. The crowd of 34,445 remains a record to this day. United won 5-0.

https://www.wrexhamafcarchive.co.uk/matchdetails.php?id=2100

My dad used to go to all Wrexham's home games with his dad. His dad knew a guy on the turnstiles and used to let him carry my dad over the turnstiles. Anyway, he went to this match when he was 7 and thought that the Busby Babes were so fantastic that he started supporting United from that day on! I guess that the Munich Disaster about a year on and the gradual recovery from that with Best, Law and Charlton etc probably added to that investment in the team and, of course, he brought me up as a United fan as well, growing up in the 80's when United were largely a “cup team” and most of my friends supported the more successful Liverpool or Everton until I was rewarded from the 90's onwards as we became the successful team!

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Lived in Manchester for 15 years as a kid

a) When did you start supporting United? 1991
b) Which Player when you started supporting United was your Favourite? Cantona
c) Which is your favorite player since supporting United until now? Cantona
d) Which Player is your favourite in the team now? Martinez
e) Best Player that has played for United? Berbatov in terms of fluidity and skill not necessarily goal return
f) Favorite Game? 1999 CL
g) Favorite Kit? Treble winning kit
h) Favorite United Team? 1999

Cloud7

Dwight Yorke was a United player. It was amazing to me at the time that someone from T&T played at one of the top clubs in the world. Started following United for him and grew to love the club over time starting from that point.

Foxbatt

1967. A young man who looked like a musician. Looked like Beatles. Found out his name was Best. George Best.

AaronRedDevil

Dwight Yorke and Andy Cole. Even though I can't remember a damn thing about them now.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Early-to-mid 90's. My father says I was originally a Spurs supporter like him, but growing up in Australia at the time there wasn't much football to watch. Man Utd tended to be on tv more than anyone else, they played good football, and were successful. Naturally I gravitated towards them. My first actual memory of being a supporter was my father telling me Blackburn had beaten us to the title in 95.

I don't really remember too much before 98 or so (combination of youth and simply not being able to watch us play that often), but from that point forward it would be Keane.

Keane

Martinez

In my time - Ronaldo. Never saw the Holy Trinity to know how they compared.

f) Favorite Game?
Tough choice between the 7-1 against Roma and the 1999 FA Cup semi against Arsenal.

g) Favorite Kit?
No idea. I don't tend to take too much notice.

Another tough choice between 98/99 and 06/07. Probably the former if I had to pick.

Edwards6

When Ryan Giggs made his debut, I was 7 and remember all the kids at school talking about him and the stuff in match magazine I used to get every week

a) When did you start supporting United? 1991
b) Which Player when you started supporting United was your Favorite? Ryan Giggs
Eric Cantona
Lisandro Martinez
From what I've seen Cristiano Ronaldo
f) Favorite Game?
'99 Fa Cup semi vs Arsenal
g) Favorite Kit?
Black away kit '94
Treble '99 but '08 comes close

norm87cro

In my case its just my dad.

a) When did you start supporting United? 1992/93 (i was 5 and that is the first team I clearly remember but there really wasnt no choice for me since my dad is United as well)
b) Which Player when you started supporting United was your Favorite? Sharpe
c) Which is your favorite player since supporting United until now? Scholes
d) Which Player is your favorite in the team now? Rashford
e) Best Player that has played for United? Best
f) Favorite Game? The CL 99 final and the Liverpool Fa cup final in 96
g) Favorite Kit? That is a hard one. But I will go with the 98/99 classic
h) Favorite United Team? which season. 98/99[/QUOTE]

izec

a) When did you start supporting United? 1997/1998
b) Which Player when you started supporting United was your Favorite? Beckham
c) Which is your favorite player since supporting United until now? Beckham, Scholes, Keane, Rooney, RvN.
d) Which Player is your favorite in the team now? Not sure yet, TBC.
e) Best Player that has played for United? Best/Charlton.
f) Favorite Game? 5-3 vs Spurs
g) Favorite Kit? 2001/2002
h) Favorite United Team? which season. 2008/2009

Lord Zlatan

a) When did you start supporting United? 1979
b) Which Player when you started supporting United was your Favorite? Jimmy Greenoff
c) Which is your favorite player since supporting United until now? Cantona
d) Which Player is your favorite in the team now? Casemiro (i know recent but the class we needed)
e) Best Player that has played for United? George Best
f) Favorite Game? 1999 FA cup semi final replay
g) Favorite Kit? 1994 Black Kit
h) Favorite United Team? which season. 1993-1994 (team full of hard men)

Doracle

Started supporting United in roughly 1984 I think. Main reason was that I wanted to see someone/anyone other than Liverpool win the league and United seemed the main challengers and played exciting football.

b) Which Player when you started supporting United was your Favorite? Whiteside
c) Which is your favorite player since supporting United until now? Giggs (as a player not a person)
d) Which Player is your favorite in the team now? Rashford, Martinez
e) Best Player that has played for United? From clips, Best. In my lifetime, Ronaldo
f) Favorite Game? Juventus away 1999
g) Favorite Kit? No preference
h) Favorite United Team? which season. mid/late 90s - preferably with Eric still in the team

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
My family supports United and I was born in Salford (which is mostly Red), so I don't remember having a choice!

See above.

I don't remember it starting, it just kind of happened. The first match I remember watching is the '85 Cup Final.

Whiteside - he scored that memorable winner in the Cup Final. Also loved Sparky and Robson.

Toss up between Cantona and Keane.

Martinez currently.

Ever? Charlton or Best. That I've seen, Ronaldo (best, not favourite by any means).

f) Favorite Game?
Juve 2 - 3 United in the 99 SF. Still gives me goosebumps.

g) Favorite Kit?
The black Sharp Viewcam one has special memories.

Always had a soft spot for the 93/94 team. Great side.

Interest to hear how you ended up supporting United.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
In answer to the thread title, it was 1993 when i made my choice. I initially hung up my boots at the age of 5 years old, after my parents decided i was too rubbish to play for the local team, despite having dribbled past the entire team and scoring a wonderful solo effort. The fact is was into our own goal against my own teammates was a problem apparently.

Now years later at the age of 8 i was asked was it possible to have one last dance and try again. So at right back i went and it all felt knew to me. A training session or two later and it was declared we needed a new keeper and did anyone want to try out? "A change of position perhaps? Sure why not". I was like an early day Alan Smith.

I was unbelievable, pouncing left and right like a young Lev Yashin. I got home and told my Dad i was the new goalkeeper.

"If you want to be a goalkeeper, you should check out Peter Schmeichel" he said.

"Whose he, Daddy?"

"He plays for Manchester United. He's the goalkeeper for them. He's amazing"

...and the rest is history.

Real_Knut

a) When did you start supporting United? Probably in 1977, aged six. I don't really remember the cup final but I remember feeling great about winning it in the following weeks. Read a 30 page write-up on the complete United history the following year and that really cemented it

b) Which Player when you started supporting United was your Favorite? Steve Coppell

c) Which is your favorite player since supporting United until now? Robson. I was the right age, was absolutely thrilled when we got him, he lived up to it and... I still think we would have won the league in the 80s if he could have stayed free of injury at the key moments

d) Which Player is your favorite in the team now? Martinez. He combines the old fashioned British combativeness, taking no shit from anyone, with pure class on the ball. Should be in line for captaincy IMO.

e) Best Player that has played for United? Ronaldo in his best seasons

f) Favorite Game? The 5-3 vs. Spurs when we were 0-3 down. Saw it at my (then) local pub and a friend said we'd turn it around to win it 5-3 in the second half to much ridicule and derision. My friend has since passed away but his swagger (and our drunkenness) after the game is one of my fondest memories of him (and of United).

g) Favorite Kit? None

h) Favorite United Team? The 1994 league winners. Now that was entertainment

LouieVanGallsRedArmeh

So what made you become a United Fan? The Year was 1997 and I first saw Manchester United play in my home country on 17th september of that year and I was awestruck by all the football superstars like Keane, Scholes, Beckham, Irwin, Schmeichel. Sadly I did not see my favourite player Ryan Giggs play at the stadium that day, but I saw Karel Poborsky play for Manchester United and that was all that mattered that day, he was known as "poboráč" in our language and he was my favourite CZ player at the time aswell.

a) When did you start supporting United? 1997
b) Which Player when you started supporting United was your Favorite? Ryan Giggs
c) Which is your favorite player since supporting United until now? Ryan Giggs
d) Which Player is your favorite in the team now? Hard to tell, there isn't a favourite, from a nostalgic stand point most certainly Cristiano Ronaldo, but I don't have a favourite, I admired Mason Greenwood, but who knows if he'll ever play for United again. Antony can easily become my favourite one in the current squad. And of course my fellow countryman Dubravka, although I haven't seen him play a single game yet.
e) Best Player that has played for United? Ryan Giggs
f) Favorite Game? Final in Munich 1999 against Bayern, legendary last few added time minutes, I remember being on a bike ride with mom and dad and was watching the last few minutes on a big screen in my home town, was really disappointed i couldnt watch the whole game, but in the end saw all the important bits right there and then on my bike.
g) Favorite Kit? 2013 atypical checkered one, the last one Manchester United won a PL title in
h) Favorite United Team? which season. Hard to decide, could be the treble team at 98/99 season or the 2003/04 or 2004/05 seasons where Giggs, Keane, Scholes, Cristiano Ronaldo RVN and Rooney were all playing together I mean it was like watching a dream team play, coincidentally United have only won one FA CUP trophy during those two seasons, which is kind of odd to be honest.

sevenxl

Since birth, no choice.
Brian Mcclair
Eric Cantona
Christian Eriksen
Wayne Rooney
f) Favorite Game?
2008 CL final
g) Favorite Kit?
Black 94 Away kit

svn

Like others, I grew up with football on in my house and my Dad cheering on United. So it was all I ever knew.

a) When did you start supporting United? 1992 (Not a bad time to become a United fan)
b) Which Player when you started supporting United was your Favorite? Peter Schmeichel - I always liked playing in goal, so it was an obvious choice
c) Which is your favorite player since supporting United until now? Eric Cantona
f) Favorite Game? 1999
g) Favorite Kit? 92-94 Home Kit with the laced collar
h) Favorite United Team? which season. 1999

ScholesyTheWise

So what made you become a United Fan? My older brother was an Arsenal fan growing up in the late 1990s. Had to support the team he hated.

United has one of the biggest worldwide fan bases of any football team, why with all the many teams in the world did you choose United to be your Team of choice? There was something really captivating with Fergie, the players we had, the comebacks, the fact that neutrals hated us... United felt different, and I could feel it as a young boy and teenager.

a) When did you start supporting United? There was a match at Highbury, we wore black. I think it was a 1-1 draw, Henry scored for them, and Giggs for us. must have been around 2001, or 2002. can't find it on Google. This is anyway my first memory of rooting for United. was 11 or 12 at the time.

b) Which Player when you started supporting United was your Favorite? Beckham, as did many kids at the time I guess
c) Which is your favorite player since supporting United until now? Scholes. And his god-awful punditry saddens me to no end as I can't bear seeing him on TV.

d) Which Player is your favorite in the team now? Would be funny to say Martinez or Eriksen as they've been here 2 seconds. I don't particularly like any of the previous squads. Maybe DDG.

e) Best Player that has played for United? In my lifetime it'll be either Ronaldo or Keane. The "correct" answer will probably be Best or Charlton.

f) Favorite Game? the 4-3 against City with Michael Owen... and maybe the 3-2 against pool with Berbatov's hattrick cuz I was there that day.

g) Favorite Kit? 1999, red home kit, Sharp as sponsors

h) Favorite United Team? which season. From old tapes- the 1993/4 seems like a team that I'd loved to have been able to support live.

JustKatie

The year Cantona joined. My family had no interest in football so I followed the best player, which was Cantona.

Eric Cantona. He was so confident and charismatic and as a anxious, self loathing kid he was an idol

Tough one as there's so many but I think it's Wayne Rooney. Yes he declined but he was an absolute beast for us for so many years

Hard to say. Possibly Martinez as he's shown so much desire and passion. Or De Gea. Sure De Gea would've left and despite his bad seasons, for me, he's always been a steadfast player in our worst period in recent times.

Just from my experiences it's Rooney. Sure Ronaldo was a freak of nature but Rooney adapted so well.

f) Favorite Game?

Roma 7-1. After the first leg loss we all said "it doesn't feel like a loss" I also put my first ever bet on for Darren Fletcher to score first at 14-1. God we were so good in that game

g) Favorite Kit?

I've never been very interested in kits tbh.

07/08. I can barely remember us losing a game that season and the absolute tension of the champion's league final was immense

JB7

Straight away I guess. Never had a choice, they were mams team & everyone tells me she had United shirts & old scarves all over the cot before they brought me home as a baby.

Beckham 10 was the first name/number I got on a shirt in about 96 or 97. Though there were others he was probably the first & I still won’t hear a word against him to this day. I loved Schmeichel & Keane too at a similar time.

Probably still Beckham or Keane. Keane was just outstanding.

Martinez. Just love everything about how he plays the game. But I do get a great feeling when Rashford is scoring goals too, love having a proper red in the team.

In my lifetime it’s Ronaldo, but Keane is also in the conversation. Like I said before, he was outstanding pretty much every week & drove others to be better too.

f) Favorite Game?
99 Arsenal or Juventus.

g) Favorite Kit?
08 all black away with with the red stripe on the back.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
a) When did you start supporting United? 2006
b) Which Player when you started supporting United was your Favorite? Vidic
c) Which is your favorite player since supporting United until now? Vidic
e) Best Player that has played for United? Rooney
f) Favorite Game? United 8-2 Arse
g) Favorite Kit? 2008 AIG Red
h) Favorite United Team? which season. 2012-2013, Sir Alex's final season

fergosaurus

a) 92
b) Giggs/Cantona
c) Keane
d) Martinez/Casemiro
e) Ronaldo
f) Very tough, maybe Arsenal in 99 at Villa Park
g) Not sure
h) 94

Luminous Lizard

My dads side of the family were big United fans, mums side all city fans. Usually just switched alliance depending on who I was with that day.

Then my dad took me to watch us against Anderlecht and we won 5-1 -which won me over full time:lol:

wangyu

season 97/98
Beckham
Beckham
Eriksen
Beckham
f) Favorite Game?
no idea, I barely remember what I ate this morning
g) Favorite Kit?
doesn’t interest me
89/99

I became fan after watching MOTD. That particular day Utd beat Barnsley 7-0 and a week later Wednesday 6-1, during this time my father also told me about Munich 58 and off we go.

ricky-romeo

Cantona/Beckham
Beckham
Cristiano Ronaldo
My lifetime Cristiano Ronaldo/Roy Keane
f) Favorite Game?
Hard to pick one.probably the last 3 minutes of the bayern final game
g) Favorite Kit?
1999 home kit
Between 1999 and 2008.