So what made you become a United Fan?

troylocker

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
a) When did you start supporting United? 1979, My older cousin was a fan and had a shirt on the wall in his room. The first book I got was the history of Manchester United, so I was sold on United from I was really young.
b) Which Player when you started supporting United was your Favorite? Lou Macari
c) Which is your favorite player since supporting United until now? King Eric
d) Which Player is your favorite in the team now? Bruno
e) Best Player that has played for United? Tough one. Never watched anything but highlights of best, but let's call it a tie between peak Best and 2008 Ronaldo
f) Favorite Game? '99 CL final, well only the last 5 minutes of it really, but that was mental.
g) Favorite Kit? No one in particular
h) Favorite United Team? which season. 98/99

Murder on Zidanes Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
a) When did you start supporting United?
My best friend in Primary school. I was 5-6 and his family were United fans and as was he. I remember he had the Green and Gold shirt and the one with the laces on the neck.

My family weren't into football but I loved playing it and looking at his sticker books and programs. We watched a game together and that was that. Then bugged my mum to buy me United videos and here we are.

b) Which Player when you started supporting United was your Favorite?

Schmeichel, Cantona, Irwin

c) Which is your favorite player since supporting United until now?

Scholes/Keane/Cantona

d) Which Player is your favorite in the team now?

De Gea/Bruno

e) Best Player that has played for United?

Charlton/Ronaldo

f) Favorite Game?

United 5 - 3 Spurs
Barca 99
Moscow 08

g) Favorite Kit?

Blue away kit 08
Sharp Viewcam Home kit 94
Purple keepers kit 96
White and Gold reversible kit 02

h) Favorite United Team? which season.

Last edited:

Jimble

Over 65s Team Player
a) When did you start supporting United? - 1983, not sure if it was because of the FA Cup win. Or whether I just became aware of football, and just followed my mothers team.
b) Which Player when you started supporting United was your Favorite? Bryan Robson, followed by Mark Hughes
c) Which is your favorite player since supporting United until now? Eric Cantona
d) Which Player is your favorite in the team now? Martinez
e) Best Player that has played for United? Cristiano Ronaldo
f) Favourite Game? Bayern Munich 1999. I remember vividly my girlfriend at the time telling me that if it went to extra time we were still leaving at the end of 90 minutes. Realised there and then that relationship was pretty much done.
g) Favorite Kit? 1986 Home Shirt
h) Favourite United Team? 1999 Treble Season

Bowlcut11

a) When did you start supporting United? In the year 2000, when I was 5. My parents took me to Costa del Sol and took me to one of the cheap, novelty stores and let me buy one thing. I saw a red top (my favourite colour) that turned out to be a knock-off of the Treble season shirt with Beckham on the back. The rest is history! Made even funnier that my whole family detest football and my dad is a massive rugby fan.
b) Which Player when you started supporting United was your Favorite? As per above, I was 5 and the only player I immediately knew was David Beckham. I remember crying when he left a few years later
c) Which is your favorite player since supporting United until now? Ruud van Nistelrooy - probably a combination of him scoring so many goals and the general quality all around the team at that point but what a player he was.
d) Which Player is your favorite in the team now? Lisandro Martinez - I'm a short defender with the tendency to bite at people's heels so to have Licha destroying at the back for United is incredible to watch. He has such passion that the squad has definitely been lacking for a few years
e) Best Player that has played for United? I'm Northern Irish so I think I'm legally obligated to say George Best. Looking back at old clips and seeing him glide through defences, he had such skill beyond his era
f) Favorite Game? United 4-3 Real Madrid 2002/03 - I know it put us out of the Champions League but an R9 hat trick and still United beating the true Galacticos at OT is too much to pass up
g) Favorite Kit? Blue kit from 2008/09 season
h) Favorite United Team? which season. 2002/2003 - being so far behind in the title race and coming back to win it. Keane, Scholes, Beckham, Neville, Rio's first season, Ruud up top. What a squad that was.

Guv77

a) When did you start supporting United? 3rd October 1981, watching Bryan Robson signing his contract on the pitch (my first football memory, I was 4)
b) Which Player when you started supporting United was your Favorite? Bryan Robson
c) Which is your favorite player since supporting United until now? Bryan Robson
d) Which Player is your favorite in the team now? Rashford
e) Best Player that has played for United? Bryan Robson
f) Favorite Game? 1991 European Cup Winners' Cup Final
g) Favorite Kit? White Sharp
h) Favorite United Team? which season. 99 Treble season

Sounds of the Aquarium

a) When did you start supporting United? just happened, Dad is a United fan. have photos of me with him after he got back from 85 cup final day
b) Which Player when you started supporting United was your Favorite? Bryan Robson. used to read his soccer skills book all the time.
c) Which is your favorite player since supporting United until now? Van Nistelrooy. scored 44 goals in my first year at uni which was a good year for me (02/03)
d) Which Player is your favorite in the team now? Eriksen
e) Best Player that has played for United? Scholes
f) Favorite Game? Juventus 2 - 3 united (1999)
g) Favorite Kit? 3rd kit 13/14
h) Favorite United Team? 07/08

DutchSerb

Supports
FC Groningen

2004-2005 thanks to FIFA, but actually a season (or maybe two) later when I first had the opportunity to buy a subscription/PPV to games

Ruud!

Vidic, he's everything I want a player to be. Smart, physical, unfazed and a good communicator/leader.

Lisandro Martinez

I can only talk about the one's I've seen play. Ronaldo would be the obvious choice, Van Persie is one of the most underrated players ever IMO, but his time with us was too short. I have to go with Rooney. He could really do it all and he was a true team player.

f) Favorite Game?

8-2 vs. Arsenal is high up the list, but the '08 CL final was magical.

g) Favorite Kit?

Loved the AIG kits, especially '07.

'08, easily. That front three was must-see television.

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Not a United fan, but I was in awe over Cantona and his collar in the 90s. Mostly because we hardly had English football on TV here so it seemed a bit mythical. Having Stam and Ruud also helped peek my interest and was the reason I started lurking Redcafe long before I actually signed up. I vaguely remember everyone piling up on an Arsenal fan named Peterstorey or something

BebeGotBack

1988 - just hit the age where I started watching football.

I guess Robbo, but I didn't have a "favourite player" until Lee Sharpe broke through.

Eric, 100%. I wouldn't say he was the most talented player I've seen in my 30+ years watching the club, or the most influential, or the most stylish, or even the one who had the most impact on the pitch - but I haven't seen anyone who combined all of those things like Cantona. Genuinely don't believe we'd have had the 90s/00s success without him.

Still Rashford - so glad he seems to have got his head/nagging injury right, I'd love to see him develop into what we all thought he could be.

Can only talk about while I've been watching - I'm sure the "right" answer is Best, but that's before my time.

Ronaldo had a couple of seasons that I've not seen any other United player touch, he's the "best" in terms of maximum output.

For overall best tenure in the shirt, Roy Keane. Rooney had higher highs, but lower lows - Keano was the rock that Fergie built a decade's worth of teams on.

f) Favorite Game?

United 2-2 Barcelona. I try to explain to my kids what European football was like back when you couldn't follow every team in the world from your sofa, but they'll never get it - Barcelona were like something out of a myth. Romario, Stoichkov, Abelardo - and United having to battle the "foreign player" rule on top of it. Going toe to toe with them in an open game was thrilling to watch, and when Sharpey got that equaliser I went absolutely ballistic.

g) Favorite Kit?

1996 home - first one I got (my parents didn't buy £30 shirts for kids!), and I wore that thing to death.

2007-8 - that attacking three was something else, and some of the tactical moves Fergie made that season were just genius.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd

I never started supporting United in the sense that I picked United as my favourite team. I was pretty much indoctrinated by older relatives, there wasn't a choice. But I suppose by the time I was six or seven, thereabouts, I defined myself a United fan (as opposed to mates, who were fans of other teams).

(See above). At the time when I started to properly appreciate what it was all about: Bryan Robson.

Bryan Robson.

I don't have one. Too old for that shit. Or, maybe not. But I don't have any sentimental attachment to any of the players who have been around for a while. If I had to, at gunpoint, pick one "favourite", it would likely be one of the new arrivals. Probably Martínez: he's the sort I would love to see having a brilliant United career.

Depends what you mean (of course). Highest peak as a United player in my time as a fan, considering all kinds of factors: Probably Cristiano Ronaldo. All time (same factors considered): Charlton or Best.

f) Favorite Game?

United - Wednesday, 1993.

g) Favorite Kit?

Mid to late 80s, after they dropped the "electronics" bit from "Sharp".

That's very hard to pick. But I'm going to say 1992-93.

When did you start supporting United?
1976 cup final.
Football was hardly on the TV back then but the cup final always was.
Guy from the bottom of our lane was 17, used to ride a motorbike and smoke fags, I thought he was James Dean, I was 7.
I knocked about with his younger brother and him and his brother came up to our house to watch the cup final, both of them big United fans. United played OK but could not score, Sammy Mac hit the crossbar in the second half, then Southampton broke and Bobby Stokes scored a famous goal. I thought this was thoroughly unfair as United had been all over them.
From then on I wanted United to win the cup as revenge for this injustice which they duly did in 1977, stopping Liverpool doing the treble and allowing 8 year old me to slabber to 8 year old Liverpool fans at school on the Monday.
There is no better feeling than shutting up the scousers.
Which Player when you started supporting United was your Favorite?
Stuart Pearson, scored in the cup final against the scousers
Which is your favorite player since supporting United until now?
Roy Keane, a born winner
Which Player is your favorite in the team now?
Probably Martinez as he has that aggressiveness we have been missing
Best Player that has played for United?
Tough one, George Best and Duncan Edwards were before my time, if I have to pick I will go with Georgie boy
Favorite Game?
Juventus 2 United 3, 1999 champions league semi final 2nd leg. Peak Keane.
Favorite Kit?
Admiral 1976
Favorite United Team? which season.
1999 treble winners. yorke and Cole up front, brilliant

FCAES_7

a) When did you start supporting United? I started cheering for United as my dad is a Liverpool fan so picked them just for fun, but in 95 they became my Fav team cause of Cantona's kick
b) Which Player when you started supporting United was your Favorite? Eric Cantona
c) Which is your favorite player since supporting United until now? Cantona, Keane, Rooney, Scholes
d) Which Player is your favorite in the team now? De Gea, Martinez, Rashford
e) Best Player that has played for United? Ronaldo, Rooney
f) Favorite Game? Many but that stand out vs City 4-3 vs Aston Villa 3-2
g) Favorite Kit? 2006 2007 Home Kit
h) Favorite United Team? which season. 2007 2008

Dyslexic Untied

a) 1992 - When I found out that Schmeichel played there.

b) Schmeichel

c) Cantona

d) Rashford

e) Ronaldo

f) Roma 7-1 on TV and City 2-1 before lockdown at OT.

g) The black mid-90s one

h) 99

Kaos

Dumb story. I was an Arsenal fan for all of one week as a 7 year old (I grew up in North London), asked my mum to buy me Arsenal posters, bedsheets, etc. She mistakenly bought all United gear instead so I just went with it :lol:

a) When did you start supporting United? 1997
b) Which Player when you started supporting United was your Favorite? Ryan Giggs
c) Which is your favorite player since supporting United until now? Paul Scholes
d) Which Player is your favorite in the team now? Lisandro Martinez
e) Best Player that has played for United? Paul Scholes
f) Favorite Game? 8-2 Arsenal
g) Favorite Kit? Treble season home kit
h) Favorite United Team? which season. 2008/9

Elliot

a) When did you start supporting United? 1998
b) Which Player when you started supporting United was your Favorite? Beckham
c) Which is your favorite player since supporting United until now? Vidic
e) Best Player that has played for United? Best
f) Favorite Game? 4-3 City
g) Favorite Kit? 07-08
h) Favorite United Team? which season. 1999

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
a) When did you start supporting United? 1985 - as a 5 year old watching the FA cup final, Moran sending off was the oriignal United pack of rabid dogs chasing the ref
b) Which Player when you started supporting United was your Favorite? McGrath/Stapleton/Moran/Strachan/Robson - loved them all
c) Which is your favorite player since supporting United until now? Loved Yorke and Cole
d) Which Player is your favorite in the team now? Martinez for sheer character
e) Best Player that has played for United? - Keane was the most influential
f) Favorite Game? Juve away in CL 99
g) Favorite Kit? 99 Home kit long sleeve
h) Favorite United Team? which season. Treble team

Someone

Something
a) When did you start supporting United? Don't remember
c) Which is your favorite player since supporting United until now? Rooney
e) Best Player that has played for United? Rooney
f) Favorite Game? 7 - 1 Roma
g) Favorite Kit? 06/07
h) Favorite United Team? which season. 07/08

pauldyson1uk

a) When did you start supporting United? 1985 - as a 5 year old watching the FA cup final, Moran sending off was the oriignal United pack of rabid dogs chasing the ref
b) Which Player when you started supporting United was your Favorite? McGrath/Stapleton/Moran/Strachan/Robson - loved them all
c) Which is your favorite player since supporting United until now? Loved Yorke and Cole
d) Which Player is your favorite in the team now? Martinez for sheer character
e) Best Player that has played for United? - Keane was the most influential
f) Favorite Game? Juve away in CL 99
g) Favorite Kit? 99 Home kit long sleeve
h) Favorite United Team? which season. Treble team
I was at that game, in the stand behind Whiteside has he curled it it.

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
I used to move schools a lot and didn't like football but would say I did just to fit in and make friends. At the last school I moved to a guy said I should support United, so I did, because I wanted friends.

a) When did you start supporting United? 1991 or 1992.
b) Which Player when you started supporting United was your Favorite? Once I started looling into the club and watch matches, Eric Cantona.
c) Which is your favorite player since supporting United until now? Between Canton, Rooney and RVN
d) Which Player is your favorite in the team now? Martinez, he has the kind of fire that we missed.
e) Best Player that has played for United? Paul Scholes or Roy Keane
f) Favorite Game? 98/99 Champions League Final
g) Favorite Kit? 98/99 had great kits, not one of them was was bad

scottser

1977, after we beat Liverpool 2-1 in the FA Cup final. My brother is a Liverpool fan and it was to piss him off really. I was 8. I'd like to get my hands on that 70s admiral strip. Favourite player then was Steve Coppell, of all time, Roy Keane. I can't really get excited about many of the current team tbh but thank feck for Martinez. The 99 treble team is one of the most iconic teams in the history of football and Ole's goal ensured an unforgettable 3 day bender for me and a couple of United supporting mates.

Last edited:

GueRed

Arsenal was the most popular team at school. Being a rebel it had to be someone else...United or Liverpool or Spurs. My United friend and classmate and his family were cockney reds went to games, gave me scarves, sweatbands all that paraphernalia when i was young. They sold it to me easily really, that and Robson was my favourite player. My best friend was a massive Liverpool friend and gloating cnut who wound me up no end, feck Liverpool. :)

a) When did you start supporting United? Mid 1980's
b) Which Player when you started supporting United was your Favorite? Robson
c) Which is your favorite player since supporting United until now? Robson
d) Which Player is your favorite in the team now? Stopped doing favourites since Robson left in '94. I tend to just favour players who play well. Which changes around a lot these days..
e) Best Player that has played for United? In my lifetime Ronaldo 2006-2009 takes some beating.
f) Favorite Game? 1999 Arsenal Semi-Final Replay. Quality football and drama. Unforgettable.
g) Favorite Kit? 1986-88 Home Kit
h) Favorite United Team? which season. Favourite team 1993-94 Double Winners. Favourite Season 1998-99

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
1. 1968
2. George Best
3. George Best
4. Lisandro Martinez
5. George Best
6. 99 FA Cup Semi replay v Le Arse.
7. Meh
8. 1993/94

BootsyCollins

a) When did you start supporting United? Around 92-93 i guess
b) Which Player when you started supporting United was your Favorite? No one to start with as i was to young and it was only because of my dad, then Cantona
c) Which is your favorite player since supporting United until now? Cantona
d) Which Player is your favorite in the team now? Rashford and DeGea
e) Best Player that has played for United? Cantona and Scholes
f) Favorite Game? A league cup game against City when Rooney scored at the end, as it was my first time to OT
g) Favorite Kit? 92/93/94 home kit

Harold_Giles

a) When did you start supporting United? 1995
c) Which is your favorite player since supporting United until now? Beckham probably, remember cutting out pictures of him from newspapers just to hang up in my bedroom
d) Which Player is your favorite in the team now? Lisandro Martinez, Bruno and Rashford would be my top 3
e) Best Player that has played for United? Cristiano Ronaldo
f) Favorite Game? CL finals '99
g) Favorite Kit? The black Sharp one, from 93-95
h) Favorite United Team? 98/99, 99/00 and 07/08 - all great seasons