So where is Modric rated in best CM’s of all time ?

TsuWave

you see that outside of the foot pass, then think about bruno's horrible attempts

man...

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Nah, not really. Pirlo was a better passer from deep and had better vision. Modric more dynamic and a better dribbler. Pirlo for set pieces. Modric was never the controller Pirlo was but he has the ability to run the transition and is more incisive and dangerous near the box. Slightly different players, I'd put them on the same level. Only Xavi has been better in the last 30 years
Modric's average position has always made less frequent for him to hit those long passes than Pirlo who was ideally set up for it. In terms of execution and accuracy, I never noticed that much of a gap between them. Going into a further comparison between would be difficult because the different role would impact it too much. At their best, I'd still take Modric without a single doubt in my mind

EtH

These threads are pretty useful in highlighting which posters have no clue about the different roles midfielders have in various teams. It's usually McT being compared to Rice, so it's refreshing to see that the same lack of insight can be applied to a wide spread of completely different types of midfielder.
Comparing Pirlo to Modric or Xavi or Scholes is totally legitimate. I find it bizarre when Iniesta or Zidane are part of the conversation though.

Devil’s Trident

It’s a good thing that we have seen Xavi and modric play against each other so we have some evidence to play with and the evidence was Xavi made Modric look completely mediocre when they played. I’m not talking about real or barca as a whole. I’m just talking about the midfield battle and in those games Xavi made a fool out of Modric every time. Never stood out, Couldn’t get near him, couldn’t touch him and that was a Xavi close to retirement and Modric in his prime age. Recency bias is the worst thing and I hate it. Xavi is the best CM of all time bar none. He made every midfielder look poor to bang average. Schooled everyone of them. No one is fit to lace his boots. Never seen a midfielder that dominant ever in football. As fabulous as Modric still is right now , there is a real dearth of world class midfielders, a time where Jorginho is one of the best midfielders on the planet. If only Xavi was still playing and we could see then, oh wait they did play in the same era and we know what happened and who was better.

Go watch his games again for barca or Spain whether against Scholes or Modric or pirlo or anyone if you have some confusion left in you. Stupid mindless chatter is what it is declaring Modric better than Xavi.

Last edited:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Nothing weird about it Xavi had Messi scoring or assisting 2-3 goals a game easy to look good in a successful team and David Silva was arguably more instrumental for Spain. Great midfielder don’t get me wrong but still benefited from the teams he played in..
You can't just say something outrageous and put 'arguably' to it to make it a supporting narrative! That's more a strawman than anything.

Xavi was the heartbeat for his country and has a fair claim for club too. Others contributed for both, of course they did, but Xavi was the reason systems flourished. There's literally no player in history not in complementary teams, and if we are talking Roy Of The Rovers, that's not a discussion for any player who has been mentioned in this thread and is more the realm of a Robson or whoever else who had to do everything (relatively) by themselves.

If you're going to say 'arguably" David Silva had more influence than Xavi, support that claim.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Nothing weird about it Xavi had Messi scoring or assisting 2-3 goals a game easy to look good in a successful team and David Silva was arguably more instrumental for Spain. Great midfielder don’t get me wrong but still benefited from the teams he played in..
:lol:

Vernon Philander

Lots of you underplaying the fact that Xavi had a whole cohort of players, both at club and country level, that played a style maximising his talents. Tiki Taka was *the* identity at club and country around the 2010 time. Bravo to him for shining in that environment. But Modric never had it so good.

Barca had a whole development school La Masia for producing these types, for goodness sake.

Modric was carrying the likes of Assou Ekotto and Kaboul.

Last edited:

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Keane could do literally everything Xavi could do along with having greater athleticism, defensive positioning, goalscoring ability and aerial prowess. The only player in that Barca midfield who he couldn't easily replace was Iniesta. Which figures, because I rate Iniesta higher than Xavi anyway.
What the actual...

KeanoMagicHat

I do. Xavi and Pirlo were marginalized if a match was evens never mind if the opposition was actually on the front foot. Meanwhile Scholes could still affect a match in so many different ways.
Case in point the screamer against Barca in the CL.
What games was Xavi marginalised for from 2008 to 2012?
Well above Xavi for me. That being said, the Xavi love in always baffled me. Overly risk averse (frequently refused to play killer passes and opted for ball retention at all costs) which he could get away with because of the quality of his teammates.

Put it this way, switch peak Xavi and peak Keane: Barca would be no worse whereas United... let's just say I'd love to see Xavi attempt to control a game playing in a midfield 2.
Come on that’s not true, Xavi has the second most assists in La Liga history and 20 assists in one season, 2008/09. Proper assists too, many unbelievable defence splitting passes.

KeanoMagicHat

Lots of you underplaying the fact that Xavi had a whole cohort of players, both at club and country level, that played a style maximising his talents. Tiki Taka was *the* identity at club and country around the 2010 time. Bravo to him for shining in that environment. But Modric never had it so good.

Barca had a whole development school La Masia for producing these types, for goodness sake.
Spain have won nothing since Xavi and Barcelona haven’t got the CL final without Xavi in their squad, despite having some star midfielders.

Real Name

It’s a good thing that we have seen Xavi and modric play against each other so we have some evidence to play with and the evidence was Xavi made Modric look completely mediocre when they played. I’m not talking about real or barca as a whole. I’m just talking about the midfield battle and in those games Xavi made a fool out of Modric every time. Never stood out, Couldn’t get near him, couldn’t touch him and that was a Xavi close to retirement and Modric in his prime age. Recency bias is the worst thing and I hate it. Xavi is the best CM of all time bar none. He made every midfielder look poor to bang average. Schooled everyone of them. No one is fit to lace his boots. Never seen a midfielder that dominant ever in football. As fabulous as Modric still is right now , there is a real dearth of world class midfielders, a time where Jorginho is one of the best midfielders on the planet. If only Xavi was still playing and we could see then, oh wait they did play in the same era and we know what happened and who was better.

Go watch his games again for barca or Spain whether against Scholes or Modric or pirlo or anyone if you have some confusion left in you. Stupid mindless chatter is what it is declaring Modric better than Xavi.
Interesting read this one.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Lots of you are underplaying the fact that Xavi had a whole cohort of players at club and country that dominated using a style playing to his strengths. Tiki Taka was *the* identity around the 2010 time. Bravo to him for shining in that environment, but Modric never had it so good.

They had a whole development school La Masia dedicated to it, for goodness sake.

Vernon Philander

Spain have won nothing since Xavi and Barcelona haven’t got the CL final without Xavi in their squad, despite having some star midfielders.
Prime, premier-league-player-of-the-year, Juan Mata couldn't get into the team around then. You're comparing 2 different levels of depths.

Devil’s Trident

Don’t get me wrong. I love Pirlo. Brilliant player. But this is the problem with him and Xavi. They were majestic as long as the team was performing but if the chips are down you’d rather have Modric in the side every day of the week. Despite being a shite tackler Scholes was more useful in a true midfield battle than Pirlo or Xavi.
Would Xavi have as many plaudits without Messi though?
“As many”.

Xavi still an amazing player, but when you club is winning 5,6-0 every week because you have a super midget up front, it’ll make you look a whole lot better..
How are these allowed to be promoted ? Inspirational stuff.
Well above Xavi for me. That being said, the Xavi love in always baffled me. Overly risk averse (frequently refused to play killer passes and opted for ball retention at all costs) which he could get away with because of the quality of his teammates.

Put it this way, switch peak Xavi and peak Keane: Barca would be no worse whereas United... let's just say I'd love to see Xavi attempt to control a game playing in a midfield 2.
Keane could do literally everything Xavi could do along with having greater athleticism, defensive positioning, goalscoring ability and aerial prowess. The only player in that Barca midfield who he couldn't easily replace was Iniesta. Which figures, because I rate Iniesta higher than Xavi anyway.
And then there is this. Kill me now.

KeanoMagicHat

Lots of you are underplaying the fact that Xavi had a whole cohort of players at club and country that dominated using a style playing to his strengths. Tiki Taka was *the* identity around the 2010 time. Bravo to him for shining in that environment, but Modric never had it so good.

They had a whole development school La Masia dedicated to it, for goodness sake.

For a few years at Spurs but since then Modric has been at one of the most expensively assembled teams ever for nearly 10 years alongside two of the best pure passers of their generation (Kroos and Alonso) and for country a Barcelona star midfielder (Rakitic), so he hasn’t been with complete mugs. Modric and Kroos on paper could dominate midfield like Xavi but they’ve allowed the opposition to take a foothold on games too often, relative to any Xavi team.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
For a few years at Spurs but since then Modric has been at one of the most expensively assembled teams ever for nearly 10 years alongside two of the best pure passers of their generation (Kroos and Alonso) and for country a Barcelona star midfielder (Rakitic), so he hasn’t been with complete mugs. Modric and Kroos on paper could dominate midfield like Xavi but they’ve allowed the opposition to take a foothold on games too often, relative to any Xavi team.
I love that Vernon posted this twice and it is my copy paste you chose to reply to.

KeanoMagicHat

Prime, premier-league-player-of-the-year, Juan Mata couldn't get into the team around then. You're comparing 2 different levels of depths.
Thiago couldn’t make the 2018 Spain World Cup team, they always have a lot of depth in midfield. Doesn’t mean the first team is successful.

And @B20, sorry that was the message I had seen!

kthanksbye

For me Xavi and Zidane are at the top with Modric and Iniesta just behind them but the difference is not much considering the different strengths of all the players.
As much as I love Pirlo, him and Scholes are behind Modric and Iniesta, again considering that these two are also very different types of midfielders who play very different roles.

Deery

Dreary
How are these allowed to be promoted ? Inspirational stuff.

And then there is this. Kill me now.
For having a differing of opinion about Xavi?

Xavi was a fantastic player but I think people just put him as the default number one because he was wonderful in the tiki taka system , but he had the best about playing alongside him too, I’m just not sure he does it for Croatia, maybe he does and I’m wrong no way of knowing, it’s just an opinion.

Last edited:

Deery

Dreary
You can't just say something outrageous and put 'arguably' to it to make it a supporting narrative! That's more a strawman than anything.

Xavi was the heartbeat for his country and has a fair claim for club too. Others contributed for both, of course they did, but Xavi was the reason systems flourished. There's literally no player in history not in complementary teams, and if we are talking Roy Of The Rovers, that's not a discussion for any player who has been mentioned in this thread and is more the realm of a Robson or whoever else who had to do everything (relatively) by themselves.

If you're going to say 'arguably" David Silva had more influence than Xavi, support that claim.
: “David Silva is one of the most talented players that Spain has ever produced - without a shadow of a doubt

“He’s a spectacular footballer! He has been throughout his entire career.

“Right from when he played for Eibar and Celta, and when he went back to Valencia.

“For the national team he has been a cornerstone, of that generation of highly talented Spanish footballers.

There’s a quote from Xavi himself..

B20

Supports
Liverpool
I am just not sure Messi would have been as good if he long balls pumped to him all the time instead of playing with xaviesta.

And Ronaldo is good at heading.

QED

Deery

Dreary
I am just not sure Messi would have been as good if he long balls pumped to him all the time instead of playing with xaviesta.

QED
Lucky he didn’t play for Liverpool then..

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Well, he’s still running the show at the highest level at 36. Took Croatia to WC final last time and now another CL final incoming?

Fair to say he’s one of the greatest, if not the best ever in that position. Of course There are many good midfielders but for me he’s the best out there with Kroos.

That assist yesterday was just ridiculous!

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Modric is amazing. If he goes on to win yet another CL this year then surely he and Benzema go up a notch in the rankings. Got to be getting to be on par with Zidane soon you'd think.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

QED
This.

Grande

It’s a decent point though, if we’re honest Scholes did very little or next to nothing at international level whereas the other 3 excelled, Messi is still getting judged below Maradona for it for God’s sake..
To think that Modric, Pirlo and Xavi was on a higher level to Scholes is fair enough, though I disagree. What is not fair enough is forgetting all the times Scholes was instrumental against the best teams at the highest level - which is one thing I pointed out. The other thing that I pointed out is the tendency to think that any of those four always were good or functioned well even.

I think it’s well known why Scholes had an ok carreer with England but not much more. I think for those of us who have watched Pirlo and Xavi in good and bad days, it’s easy to imagine how they might have looked if put on the right wing or as a second striker in a team playing like England. Good for them, they both experienced a period of time at their NT where a coach put them in their best role in a team that played to their strengths. That very seldom happened to Scholes, and if we look at the coaches in question, the competition and the rest of the context, it explains a lot. Now, you might still want to put Xavi, Pirlo and Modric higher based on their NT carreers, and that’s fair enough, but using the NT carreer of Scholes without mentioning the context, I think is unfair revision against Scholes.

Of all these, I think Modric is the most rounded player, he would do well in almost any team, and he’s been one of my favorites since he broke through for Croatia. It would be revisionism though, to omit the fact that several periods at club level, people have counted him as ‘overhyped’, ‘through’, ‘reached his level’ or similar things, things I would attribute more to team factors than to his level, but still. He has been made to shine, and shined, at especially two international tournaments, and that colurs peoples memories. And he deserves it!

I just think Paul Scholes also deserves being remembered in the right light, no need to downplay him to win am argument for Modric.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
: “David Silva is one of the most talented players that Spain has ever produced - without a shadow of a doubt

“He’s a spectacular footballer! He has been throughout his entire career.

“Right from when he played for Eibar and Celta, and when he went back to Valencia.

“For the national team he has been a cornerstone, of that generation of highly talented Spanish footballers.

There’s a quote from Xavi himself..
That is not supporting your claim. Games, data, frames of reference?

Xavi is not just a player in a system; he is a system in a player. As corny as that may sound, it is backed by statistics, trophies and metrics revolving around Xavi’s forte, which I am certain no other player who has played, period, can match.

Whether those qualities are your cup of tea or not, or if they constitute the ultimate midfielder of his type is in the eye of the beholder, but it is tangible proof of what he is and what he represented.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I find it very hard to judge Barcelona players. It's a club like no other- where they have had a footballing style from the ages of Cryuff.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool

I'd have it Iniesta, Xavi, Modric, but for me Iniesta is ahead of both of them. The ultimate big game player who had that magic and deciding factor surrounding him, moreso than anyone else.

Modric still playing at a higher level late in his 30s than Xavi or Iniesta doesn't really change anything for me, it's a tiebreaker when you're in the same tier but he's in a tier below for me. And it's actually Benzema who is running the show and dragging Real through this year's CL, even though Modric is quite clearly still class.

Smithy89

I'd take Modric over Xavi, but Iniesta was a different animal altogether.

Deery

Dreary
To think that Modric, Pirlo and Xavi was on a higher level to Scholes is fair enough, though I disagree. What is not fair enough is forgetting all the times Scholes was instrumental against the best teams at the highest level - which is one thing I pointed out. The other thing that I pointed out is the tendency to think that any of those four always were good or functioned well even.

I think it’s well known why Scholes had an ok carreer with England but not much more. I think for those of us who have watched Pirlo and Xavi in good and bad days, it’s easy to imagine how they might have looked if put on the right wing or as a second striker in a team playing like England. Good for them, they both experienced a period of time at their NT where a coach put them in their best role in a team that played to their strengths. That very seldom happened to Scholes, and if we look at the coaches in question, the competition and the rest of the context, it explains a lot. Now, you might still want to put Xavi, Pirlo and Modric higher based on their NT carreers, and that’s fair enough, but using the NT carreer of Scholes without mentioning the context, I think is unfair revision against Scholes.

Of all these, I think Modric is the most rounded player, he would do well in almost any team, and he’s been one of my favorites since he broke through for Croatia. It would be revisionism though, to omit the fact that several periods at club level, people have counted him as ‘overhyped’, ‘through’, ‘reached his level’ or similar things, things I would attribute more to team factors than to his level, but still. He has been made to shine, and shined, at especially two international tournaments, and that colurs peoples memories. And he deserves it!

I just think Paul Scholes also deserves being remembered in the right light, no need to downplay him to win am argument for Modric.
Who’s downplaying him to win an argument for Modric? I was saying the other poster had a good point about Scholes and international level, wasn’t even the one to bring Scholes up, but I also believe how good as Scholes was he wasn’t in the same tier as the other 3 and mostly that is because of international success.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

I'd have it Iniesta, Xavi, Modric, but for me Iniesta is ahead of both of them. The ultimate big game player who had that magic and deciding factor surrounding him, moreso than anyone else.

Modric still playing at a higher level late in his 30s than Xavi or Iniesta doesn't really change anything for me, it's a tiebreaker when you're in the same tier but he's in a tier below for me. And it's actually Benzema who is running the show and dragging Real through this year's CL, even though Modric is quite clearly still class.
Xavi isn’t going to win polls or even be credited in the same way as the other two. In fact, Xavi may even be seen as boring and one-track with his ‘subtle’ game.

Iniesta is primed to win such things because his work was done further upfield and led to more direct goal actions, plus his style is the most aesthetically pleasing of the lot by some distance. He shouldn’t even be in a poll with the other two; his competition is Zidane, Ronaldinho and anyone else who played in those more nebulous areas of the pitch which blur the lines of what position the player actually plays in or is defined by.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Xavi isn’t going to win polls or even be credited in the same way as the other two. In fact, Xavi may even be seen as boring and one-track with his ‘subtle’ game.

Iniesta is primed to win such things because his work was done further upfield and led to more direct goal actions, plus his style is the most aesthetically pleasing of the lot by some distance. He shouldn’t even be in a poll with the other two; his competition is Zidane, Ronaldinho and anyone else who played in those more nebulous areas of the pitch which blur the lines of what position the player actually plays in or is defined by.
I agree they're different players but you'd still place Zidane ahead of Pirlo even though they were different midfielders, no? Or any CAM who is in your opinion a tier above a DM.

There's always some subjectivity to these things of course. Maybe Xavi would have scored the winning goal in the 2010 final had he played Iniesta's position, but he didn't and Iniesta did score that goal.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I agree they're different players but you'd still place Zidane ahead of Pirlo even though they were different midfielders, no? Or any CAM who is in your opinion a tier above a DM.

There's always some subjectivity to these things of course. Maybe Xavi would have scored the winning goal in the 2010 final had he played Iniesta's position, but he didn't and Iniesta did score that goal.
I don’t expect Zidane or anyone else mentioned to come close to Pirlo as a deep-lying playmaker, equally, Pirlo is expected to be no match for any of these guys in an interactive game. I think the gauge, if there must be one, is in who was more exceptional at their role, which is where we can say Zidane or Iniesta are better players than Pirlo despite not having a prayer of recreating what he did on the pitch.

I don’t think things like the last sentence should have any bearing in such a discussion, and that they do shows why they are tainted and tilted towards the player further upfield than their compatriot. It’s not a coincidence that the top 10 players of all time is flooded with forwards and offensive players with someone like Beckenbauer literally incapable of being considered the best player ever under any circumstance.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Agree with the overall point and Xavi certainly dominated the majority of those games, but to be fair to Modric, this was a brilliant do-or-die performance against a juggernaut of a Spanish midfield.

Still, it feels like Xavi isn't fully getting his dues here as the hub of arguably the greatest club and international teams of all time. You can draw a close parallel between his peak and the peaks of Barcelona and Spain. When he moved into top gear in 2008, Spain overcame their international hoodoo as he won player of the tournament. Their 3 consecutive major international tournament wins has never been matched. When his powers started to wane in 2012, so did the success of Barcelona and Spain. So much so that the system no longer worked. Both Barcelona and Spain became vulnerable to the counter-attack, getting skelped famously a number of times, as the system could no longer function without Xavi's iron-clad grip on the centre of the park. Incapable of replacing him, Barcelona then had to redesign their team and midfield to be more transition-based to be successful again.

While a whole generation of great players coalesced around Xavi to a greater extent than Modric (or Pirlo or Scholes), he was still the starting point for that dominance. His instant command of the game, almost every single game, has never really been matched. What is particularly persuasive is how poorly Spain struggled when he was absent during those prime years. In 2010 Spain were unbeaten in 55 out of 58 games and had won 15 friendlies in a row prior to drawing against Mexico then losing against Argentina, Portugal and Italy. The common factor tying each of those defeats together was the absence of Xavi.
  • Mexico 0-0 Spain. Mexico did the early running and took the lead through Hernandez. Only once Xavi came on midway through the second half did they start to compete and he set up Silva's equaliser.
  • Argentina 4-1 Spain. Xavi didn't start and Cambiasso, Banega and Mascherano ran the show as they raced into a 3-0 lead. Xavi comes on at half-time and instantly regains control of the midfield.
  • Portugal 4-0 Spain. With the game goalless until the stroke of half time. Xavi comes off and Spain collapse to a 4-0 defeat.
  • Italy 2-1 Spain - Xavi absent.
The gulf in performance and control with and without Xavi demonstrated the extent to which he was the system. It was a squad full of world-class players, but they could not function in his absence. That's why he's the greatest controlling central-midfielder of all time for me.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
There was a five year period where Xavi dominated literally every midfield battle he played. Domination so total, that it was a foregone conclusion before the first whistle. It was a certainty that the opposition would be unable to win the midfield battle if Xavi played.

No midfielder has ever even come close to the kind of dominance Xavi exerted over the middle of the pitch. It's simply unprecedented.