So where is Modric rated in best CM’s of all time ?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He is absolutely amazing. People will praise Neymar for that goal and rightfully so, but he was easily better than Neymar throughout entire game.

Raiden Shogun

Supports
FC Barca
Take it from a Barca fan, my 2nd fave player of all time is Xavi (Dinho 1st).. Modric is on that level. What an amazing player.

RG77

Supports
Real Madrid
I only want one thing and that is for Modric to win the WC.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Still not as good as Xavi and Iniesta? Man does everything to an excellent standard, and defensively is excellent too. At 37 he's still everywhere in this QF.
Yes. Still not as good.

And interpreting this as a slight on Modric is insane. He's obviously a legendary player (@Scholesy died for this).

But Xavi and Iniesta did more than win. They absolutely dominated games. Even when they lost, it wasn't because control of the midfield was lost.

Atheist

One player I totally wished played for Man Utd but never happened. He is a legend of the game, ageing like fine wine.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
For me Modric is absolutely at Xavi and Iniesta’s level.

marktan

Defensively all over the place.

Gets up and down the pitch.

Has the ability to evade pressure like Iniesta.

Has as good a passing range.

I feel like you sometimes overrate anything to do with City/Barca. There's not really anything else you could want in a midfielder that Modric doesn't have.

Yeah Barca/Spain dominated but it's easier when you have a golden generation of players next to you.

redshaw

What a game he had today. A true warrior, it's just amazing to see how much pressure and tackles he goes through at 37, the organization and vision to anchor the team. His team mates were excellent as well, both teams had around 700 passes and gave an excellent match.

KeanoMagicHat

I don't see how that's even possible. He can do everything they can do, he's on the same tier as Zidane for me. Iniesta or Xavi in this Croatia team would not have the same impact.
Ah I think Xavi would do the same thing Modric does, Modric is playing with Brozovic and Kovacic (before Rakitic) in a possession game, he’d be more than comfortable in that, not like you’re throwing him into a long ball team.

Winrar

What a rolls royce of a player, you wouldn't think he's 37 judging by how he played today

gorky_utd

Yes. Still not as good.

And interpreting this as a slight on Modric is insane. He's obviously a legendary player (@Scholesy died for this).

But Xavi and Iniesta did more than win. They absolutely dominated games. Even when they lost, it wasn't because control of the midfield was lost.
Well Modric doesn't have another god tier midfielder with him in Croatia.

slored1

I am in awe of what he does night-in, night-out. Simply spectacular. Surely the best midfielder of this generation.

adexkola

Supports
Defensively all over the place.

Gets up and down the pitch.

Has the ability to evade pressure like Iniesta.

Has as good a passing range.

I feel like you sometimes overrate anything to do with City/Barca. There's not really anything else you could want in a midfielder that Modric doesn't have.

Yeah Barca/Spain dominated but it's easier when you have a golden generation of players next to you.
All those qualities... both players were just as good as Modric :confused:

You're literally saying Croatia would be disappointed if Modric fell ill and his replacement was Xavi.

gorky_utd

Not exactly Busquets-Iniesta.
That is my point. In club football, he has Kroos and have achieved more than barca in UCL. In international football, he has achieved world cup final and semi with underdog squad. What more he needs to do?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
That is my point. In club football, he has Kroos and have achieved more than barca in UCL. In international football, he has achieved world cup final and semi with underdog squad. What more he needs to do?
It's a team sport. He didn't achieve more than Barcelona. Madrid did (only in CL). You people talk as though players win trophies.

I think Modric is brilliant but he'd one notch below those two. Their midfield play was astoundingly good.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Still not as good as Xavi, no. As good as or better than Iniesta, yeah. But that's been the case all along, it's not this game that puts him there

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
A great player. But I don't see any reason to suddenly rate him above Xavi/Iniesta if you didn't already. And I didn't already.

Even just focusing on international football, someone like Iniesta was on the team of the tournament for Spain's first Euros win, was MOTM in their semi-final win in that tournament, then was MOTM in a World Cup final win, scored the winning goal in a WC final, was on the team of the tournament for that WC, then was MOTM in another Euros final win while being overall Player of the Tournament in that Euros having been MOTM in three different games. If you claim that he benefitted from being surrounded by excellent players then it's all the more remarkable that he was so consistently their best performer on those biggest occasions. Even when they stank the place out in 2014, he was their best player.

It isn't an insult to Modric to say that he has in no way outstripped Iniesta on this stage, even with excellent performances like today's.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Yes. Still not as good.

At 37 he is the best player on the pitch in the 1/4 finals of World cup. What were Xavi and Iniesta doing at that age? There are arguments for both sides.

All three are one of my favourite midfielders ever, I actually like Xavi and Iniesta more than Modric but you make it sound like you are comparing them to someone like Mascherano.

And also you do realise you are literally comparing two players to single player?

Because yeah, Xavi and iniesta are better than just one Modric because you can dominate game easier with two players than just one.

cyberman

Its a hard working team that covers his legs. I thought he had a good game but that was it. They didn’t have any midfield control at all tonight

stoinz

He is a great player still but he needs to to play in the right set up. What impressed me was he doesn't seem to have lost any of his pace, trickery and stamina at 37.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
He is a great player still but he needs to to play in the right set up. What impressed me was he doesn't seem to have lost any of his pace, trickery and stamina at 37.
Modric needs the "right setup"? What makes you think that?

adexkola

Supports
A great player. But I don't see any reason to suddenly rate him above Xavi/Iniesta if you didn't already. And I didn't already.

Even just focusing on international football, someone like Iniesta was on the team of the tournament for Spain's first Euros win, was MOTM in their semi-final win in that tournament, then was MOTM in a World Cup final win, scored the winning goal in a WC final, was on the team of the tournament for that WC, then was MOTM in another Euros final win while being overall Player of the Tournament in that Euros having been MOTM in three different games. If you claim that he benefitted from being surrounded by excellent players then it's all the more remarkable that he was so consistently their best performer on those biggest occasions. Even when they stank the place out in 2014, he was their best player.

It isn't an insult to Modric to say that he has in no way outstripped Iniesta on this stage, even with excellent performances like today's.
Right, no one is saying Modric is not brilliant. He obviously is (and @Scholesy is a prophet). One of the best midfielders to have played the game.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Modric needs the "right setup"? What makes you think that?
He did it at Tottenham, Madrid, Croatia - all across numerous teams within those independent teams. Nobody had ever catered towards his ability. Its crazy to say he needs to right setup.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He did it at Tottenham, Madrid, Croatia - all across numerous teams within those independent teams. Nobody had ever catered towards his ability. Its crazy to say he needs to right setup.
It's not crazy it's just ignorance and stupidity

Isafim

I would say Xavi and Iniesta above Modrić, at their very best and/or over the 'peak period'. Maybe Xavi before Iniesta, but I didn't always think so, and they brought slightly different qualities to each other while complimenting each other very well of course. Iniesta has more varied abilities/qualities, and maybe even a slightly longer peak period, but Xavi was a better pure passer/playmaker and better for controlling the midfield I suppose too

FerociousCorgis

i mean i guess technically he needs the right set up in that he needs 10 other players on the field generally maybe haha.

adexkola

Supports
This is correct.

Conversely, if you have any doubt as to whether the names he is mentioned next to, could adapt to those teams, you don't know much about football.