So who’s your favourite player now?

MalaysianRed7

De Gea pissed me off when he was instrumental in getting Franz Hoek sacked and his mate installed as goalkeeping coach. From that moment on his all-round game stopped improving.

Since this was clearly done with the blessing of club and manager, I think it’s rather harsh to put all theblame on him though. And criticising him for our inability to build from the back is also harsh, considering that he’s spent a good deal of time here playing for managers who haven’t remotely been playing that way.
‘His mate’ made him his best version in 2017-18. I’ve never ever seen a goalkeeper reach those levels since the likes of VdS and Cech.

Canagel

Nobody.

They haven't won us anything to be lauded and most of them have won nothing substantial in their careers.

KeanoMagicHat

De Gea can be spectacular and a great servant to the club. Rashford is a good lad, easily the best character in the squad, although the way he plays is frustrating to watch. I like Pogba's personality and charisma, but it's hard to like him too much with that agent and always flirting with other club. Bruno plays with conviction and passion and seems to care about the club. Cavani is a warrior and very likeable.

El Jefe

For the first time as a United supporter I don't have one. About a year ago it would have been Greenwood, Pogba and Martial but for obvious reasons I've fallen out of love with all three.

Cavani probably comes closest and Sancho and Varane have potential to be that but for now I'm quite apathetic to most of the squad.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Fred, Bruno, Dalot, Elanga, Cavani, all seem to have the right attitude on the pitch. I was getting sick of watching Mason Rashford and Ronaldo have zero chemistry or work rate between. Without any of that it’s just 3 expensive names on a page. Let’s hope we find the balance and can kick on from here.

Corridor of Uncertainty

Fred, Bruno, Dalot, Elanga, Cavani, all seem to have the right attitude on the pitch. I was getting sick of watching Mason Rashford and Ronaldo have zero chemistry or work rate between. Without any of that it’s just 3 expensive names on a page. Let’s hope we find the balance and can kick on from here.
Agree with most of that. I do find Bruno's incessant winging on the pitch tiresome and Cavani's lack of availability is starting to grate on me, but loving Dalot, Fred and Elanga's desire at the moment.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
For never say die attitude and obviously for his stats Bruno tops the list. For his whinging and theatrics he falls to nearly the bottom which is why I'd go for De Gea. Lost his form for a couple of seasons but on the whole he's been fantastic for us and doesn't seem to get involved in any unnecessary drama.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
McTominay. Might not be the most talented, but you can't ever fault his application and attitude on the field. Has that bit of steel and grit I like to see in our players, doesn't seem like someone who can be cowed easily.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
I don’t have one either. Tough to find anyone genuinely likeable that isn’t also frustrating to watch on the pitch.

Revaulx

‘His mate’ made him his best version in 2017-18. I’ve never ever seen a goalkeeper reach those levels since the likes of VdS and Cech.
We’ll if you didn’t mind him hoofing it long at every opportunity and almost invariably giving the ball away. Not his fault; I presume he was following Jose’s instructions. It was sad to watch given how good his distribution had been a couple of years earlier.

His shot stopping was excellent that season, certainly. Was it statistically better than previous seasons though? Or this one? I really don’t know.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Favourite player (singular) is easy: Cavani. I love him as a player - I only wish he was a bit younger.

ETA As I've said before, my current admiration for him is enhanced by the fact that I used to underrate him (before he came to United).

Red Star One

Bruno and Varane are the only ones who really feel like Manchester United players to me. I don’t see the attraction with Rashford so many do. He is like a robot on and off the pitch. Greenwood was by far the main draw in this squad for me.

Sad state of affairs.
Pretty much this plus I still have huge respect for De Gea and the fact he spent his best years (when he was the best or around the best in the world) with an underachieving team like ours, even if now I think his limitations in the game make him possibly redundant after the next overhaul.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Nobody.

They haven't won us anything to be lauded and most of them have won nothing substantial in their careers.
Can you only have a favourite player if they've won things? Seems like a very glory hunter attitude. Most football clubs rarely if ever win anything, can their fans not have a favourite player?

yipthatman

Sancho. Does the simple things well. Intelligent player which most of our team sadly lacks.
I agree. He was ace last night. A real ray of light in an otherwise rubbish month as a United fan. He is stepping up it seems

Lee565

Sancho as he is one of the very rare signs of player needed to be progressive modern side instead of brainless technically deficient players

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Agree with the poster above. Greenwood was the main draw for me or this current team. He was an exceptional talent and he’s thrown it away by being an idiot. Horrible incident all round but from a footballing perspective it’s an absolute catastrophe for Utd. It’s almost typical of how cursed this club feels these days.

copen1945

The less he plays due to his injuries, the more loved Cavani becomes. He will be a United legend soon. I would go with Rashford, for his contributions on and off the field.

MalaysianRed7

We’ll if you didn’t mind him hoofing it long at every opportunity and almost invariably giving the ball away. Not his fault; I presume he was following Jose’s instructions. It was sad to watch given how good his distribution had been a couple of years earlier.

His shot stopping was excellent that season, certainly. Was it statistically better than previous seasons though? Or this one? I really don’t know.
His distribution was admittedly better under LvG. But his stopping has improved since then imo. He’s on something ridiculous like 7 xG prevented this season already, so well on the way to exceeding his best season. The state of us that despite that, we’re still barely scraping 4th place, probably soon to be overtaken by Spurs.

FrenchRed

For the first time ever I’m pretty ambivalent to everyone in our squad. I’ve always had players I liked or followed, even from my first memories supporting in 1984/5. These days I really can’t say I have much time for any of them.

Yes football has changed and I feel really far away from the game as a whole compared to before, but it’s a sad indictment of our lack of character and current predicament.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Yeah, good call.

Varane is the consummate pro. He never puts in a bad display, you never hear a bad word said about him in the press, and he's a nice guy off the pitch by all accounts. There are certainly worse contenders for your favourite player.

Rashford and Bruno are up there for me too.

ekestubbe

It's still Messi for me. I cannot get over the things he has done on football fields since he broke through so many years ago. It's sad that he seems to have lost his motivation lately, but so far he is still my favorite active player.

Cloud7

Probably Ronaldo I guess. Prior to the start of this season my two favorite players were Pogba and Martial. Martial is gone and before the last game I can't even remember the last time I saw Pogba play. It's gone pretty cold in that regard, even moreso now as it looks like he might be leaving. Varane might have taken it if he was ever fit long enough. As important as Bruno is for us his profligacy annoys me and I don't think he'll ever be my favorite due to that.

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
Cavani, he should have arrived like 12 years ago at the club though.

As for my favorite player from any team, Salah. Wish he were a United legend.

greatscott9930

Supports
St. Louis City Soccer Club
On this team? Probably Mata.

The rare times he's on the field I find myself hoping he does something memorable as he is one of the few guys on the team I genuinely like and hasn't caused trouble somehow.

eltigreFalcao

Favourite player from the squad: Bruno. Simply the best of the lot.

Having said that, none of them deserve much fanfare at the moment, spirits are low and performaces quite turrid.

djembatheking

Favourite player when I was a kid was Pancho. All time favourite is Eric. I honestly haven`t got a favourite out of this bunch , no one really stands out .

Barry Red

Phil Jones. Not the most skilful, quickest or popular, and certainly not the most photogenic :lol::lol: but he gives 100% whenever he is called on and is a committed United man. That makes him unique amongst the overpaid primadonnas that we currently have strutting around the club. have