Sofyan Amrabat | 2023/24 Performances

Rossa

Amrabat runs like he's eaten 4 kebabs, I honestly don't think he's quicker than Lindelof
Lindelof looks like he is hauling 4 trailers filled with kebabs. No way does he accelerate faster than any footballer not called Maguire. He may look busy running with arms flailing all over the place, but if you look at him, he doesn't move. Last match, he had this instance where he was caught up field (so much for positional awareness), then he started to sprint like a madman, but in reality, he was moving slightly slower than your average grandma with a shopping trolley.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Yeah Lindelof is poor, but his positioning is better. I remember a live game, cant remember which one, but Amrabat was completely and utterly lost, I think he gave away a cheap yellow because he couldn't be bothered to run with the player. He wasn't put back at LB since.

I genuinely think Lindelof might have more acceleration than Amrabat as well, which is a big factor when you're a left back.
Not that either of them is a Ferrari, but Lindelof barely moves.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Lindelof looks like he is hauling 4 trailers filled with kebabs. No way does he accelerate faster than any footballer not called Maguire. He may look busy running with arms flailing all over the place, but if you look at him, he doesn't move. Last match, he had this instance where he was caught up field (so much for positional awareness), then he started to sprint like a madman, but in reality, he was moving slightly slower than your average grandma with a shopping trolley.
:lol:

Incredibly accurate.

Shark

@NotShark
Really don't think there's any point in keeping this guy on. Was never keen on having squad players for the sake of having a squad player. They still have to be good enough for this club. Always think back to the likes of Park, O Shea and to his credit recently Mctomminay.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I think he's been dismissed prematurely. As a midfielder he is strong, can tackle, position and perform simple passes. He hasn't had the luxury of playing with us much when Mainoo has been otherworldly and generally on a winning run.

He should get a run out this season and I think fans will be pleasantly surprised. Especially if Case is not performing/cba/suspended. Not saying we should be signing him but I believe it would be a good midfield combination worth trying.
It'll never happen, but I'd take out both Casemiro and Bruno out and give Amrabat and Amad a run.

Mainoo Amrabat
Garnacho Amad Rashford
Hojlund
Erik's team is set now, though. The current six (Mainoo, Casemiro, Bruno, Garnacho, Rashford and Hojlund) will start near enough every game. The only way the others are getting a run is if the aforementioned players get injured or suspended.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I would be very interested to hear what kind of player ETH thought he was getting, as is still doesn't seem like he fancies Amrabat. He seems fairly average player, and that would be OK if he was a bit faster. But looking at him I just don't see any use for him in that team.

Brophs

The One and Only
Only a few more months until we can all tacitly agree never to speak of this guy again.

Irwin99

I thought he put in some good effort in what little time he was on the pitch. It's fair to say though it's another loan signing that hasn't been a success unfortunately.

TheReligion

Abusive
The silly thing about this particular transfer is that it's technically a loan, but we basically paid as if we were planning to sign him. £8m loan fee for a year, with £18m to make it permanent which we've only done because we could not squeeze him in within FFP.

I wonder where we will go with him after this season. He's a ten Hag boy so preference will be probably to keep him but can we really afford to spend close to £20m on a player that probably won't contribute much to a winning side?
Its been widely reported he’ll return to his parent club

Foolsgold21

In a crowded field - possibly the slowest player to ever take to the field for us?

My word, it’s something else.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Are you lot serious?

Garner is crap.
Garner has probably been top five U25 midfielders in the PL this season since beeing allowed to play centrally and not out wide. He will have a really good career in the PL. Amrabat will not and will never be a regular for any side in the PL.

E-mal

:lol: :lol:
Common on now, I think he is more mobile than Amrabat

E-mal

My biggest issue with Amrabat is that he is very neutral during our games. He does nothing, has no impact either positively or negatively. Appears to loose very battle and lacks any presence

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Garner has probably been top five U25 midfielders in the PL this season since beeing allowed to play centrally and not out wide. He will have a really good career in the PL. Amrabat will not and will never be a regular for any side in the PL.
I mean....

Rice
Mainoo
João Gomes
Sarr
Enzo Fernandez
Caicedo
MacAllister
Szobozilzilozizlsas
Curtis Jones
Onana

I could probably go on

I fully imagine Amrabat would do a very decent job for Everton.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Rice
Mainoo
João Gomes
Sarr
Enzo Fernandez
Caicedo
MacAllister
Szobozilzilozizlsas
Curtis Jones
Onana

I could probably go on

[/QUOTE]

I can’t. Dont have pace, agility or legs to work for teams that dont have the ball much less (CP, WHU, Everton etc). And not good enough on the ball to play for more possession-oriented sides.

A few of these are not under 25. And others have barely played half the amount of football. Enzo and Caicedo, while having great potential, have not been good at all this season. So yes, better «names», not better this season.

I would have Sarr, Szobo and Onana ahead of him. And Onana, while being more exciting, not by much at all this season.

Regarding Joao Gomes I have not seen enough of Wolves this year so I will not pretend to be able to make any qualified assessment of the guy.

Rossa

I can’t. Dont have pace, agility or legs to work for teams that dont have the ball much less (CP, WHU, Everton etc). And not good enough on the ball to play for more possession-oriented sides.

A few of these are not under 25. And others have barely played half the amount of football. Enzo and Caicedo, while having great potential, have not been good at all this season. So yes, better «names», not better this season.

I would have Sarr, Szobo and Onana ahead of him. And Onana, while being more exciting, not by much at all this season.

Regarding Joao Gomes I have not seen enough of Wolves this year so I will not pretend to be able to make any qualified assessment of the guy.
Isn't Garner also slow? I thought that was a reason why people thought he wouldn't work at United - lacked pace and strength...

Ekeke

I mean....

Rice
Mainoo
João Gomes
Sarr
Enzo Fernandez
Caicedo
MacAllister
Szobozilzilozizlsas
Curtis Jones
Onana

I could probably go on

Well he wouldnt get on the pitch because better midfielders play for them.

34 year old Gueye who has come in as rotation with Garner and Onana is still better than Amrabat

Ekeke

Isn't Garner also slow? I thought that was a reason why people thought he wouldn't work at United - lacked pace and strength...

Whilst not being particularly fast he's still faster than Carrick, Matic and is probably around the same as McTominay. Think people are just grasping at straws. They're doing the same thing with Mainoo actually, some people saying he's slow

Rossa

Whilst not being particularly fast he's still faster than Carrick, Matic and is probably around the same as McTominay. Think people are just grasping at straws. They're doing the same thing with Mainoo actually, some people saying he's slow

Thanks. I haven't watched much of him as watching Everton is quite far down the list on what I choose to spend my time. I don't think you need to be particularly fast to suceed as a central midfielder. Kroos has done pretty well, and he's slow. Scholes was slow. Pirlo was slow. Xavi was slow. Carrick... Matic... etc. But I do recall his physicality being one of the arguments against him. Seems to be doing quite well at Everton though.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Myth. Agility wise he would be a big upgrade on Casemiro.

I agree that James Garner looked a bit off pace in his first few games for us. It is not that uncommom with a young player first playing senior level. Looks more than quick enough now.

Edit! I tried a google search:

https://www.goodisonnews.com/2023/0...premier-league-midfielders-as-speed-revealed/

Rossa

Myth. Agility wise he would be a big upgrade on Casemiro.

I agree that James Garner looked a bit off pace in his first few games for us. It is not that uncommom with a young player first playing senior level. Looks more than quick enough now.

Edit! I tried a google search:

https://www.goodisonnews.com/2023/0...premier-league-midfielders-as-speed-revealed/
Interesting, but those stats are always misleading. They show a measured top speed that can last for a microsecond. Would you honestly say that Garner would outpace Almiron in a foot race? No chance. The ability to maintain your top speed is difficult and few manage it without starting to stumble - Garnacho is a victim of this. He can reach a high top speed but struggles to maintain it. Walker is insane at both. Carrick had decent top speed but lacked acceleration.

Good to hear that he has improved his physicality though. Would you say he could fit into the current United side?

Ekeke

Thanks. I haven't watched much of him as watching Everton is quite far down the list on what I choose to spend my time. I don't think you need to be particularly fast to suceed as a central midfielder. Kroos has done pretty well, and he's slow. Scholes was slow. Pirlo was slow. Xavi was slow. Carrick... Matic... etc. But I do recall his physicality being one of the arguments against him. Seems to be doing quite well at Everton though.
Yeah he could be a bit physically stronger especially as he's not a small player. Playing with Onana, Gueye and Doucoure around him might help out with physical strength. Most of the CMs we bring through from youth dont have a lot of physical strength and are more about stamina and running when it comes to being athletic. McTominay being the outlier.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Interesting, but those stats are always misleading. They show a measured top speed that can last for a microsecond. Would you honestly say that Garner would outpace Almiron in a foot race? No chance. The ability to maintain your top speed is difficult and few manage it without starting to stumble - Garnacho is a victim of this. He can reach a high top speed but struggles to maintain it. Walker is insane at both. Carrick had decent top speed but lacked acceleration.

Good to hear that he has improved his physicality though. Would you say he could fit into the current United side?
I agree with all of that. But I do think there is a correlation between speed and acceleration for most players/people.

I do think Garner would be more suited to Man Utds style than Everton. But it is hard to say if he will be good enough. I think he is an underestimated talent.

Ekeke

Yes. But while I appreciate Garner and I think that clubs watching Brathwaite will no doubt have been impressed with him too including England, I think Wharton who played against him for Palace last game and who joined them from Blackburn in Jan is a bigger one to watch for a DM position

Rossa

I agree with all of that. But I do think there is a correlation between speed and acceleration for most players/people.

I do think Garner would be more suited to Man Utds style than Everton. But it is hard to say if he will be good enough. I think he is an underestimated talent.
Not sure I agree. I think some players have a clear top speed > acceleration and the other way around. Some are very quick off the mark but lack top speed. Centre backs normally often have quite decent to great top speed but lack acceleration. Carrick actually had pretty decent top speed, but his acceleration was downright terrible. Scholes in his prime was quite nippy, but lacked any semblance of top speed. Iniesta was electric off the line but had no top speed. Not sure how important it is for central midfielders, although being quick and or fast is never a negative.

Rossa

Yes. But while I appreciate Garner and I think that clubs watching Brathwaite will no doubt have been impressed with him too including England, I think Wharton who played against him for Palace last game and who joined them from Blackburn in Jan is a bigger one to watch for a DM position
Interesting. He just turned 20 as well - perhaps too young a midfield with him and Mainoo as starters? Could play him as a rotation with Casemiro... What are his stand out qualities?

Rossa

Yeah he could be a bit physically stronger especially as he's not a small player. Playing with Onana, Gueye and Doucoure around him might help out with physical strength. Most of the CMs we bring through from youth dont have a lot of physical strength and are more about stamina and running when it comes to being athletic. McTominay being the outlier.
Exactly. You don't have to be all that strong if you have a low centre of gravity. However, more lanky players may struggle. I find it a long time ago that we produced players with great physical attributes bar some central defenders like Fosu-Mensah, Tuanzebe and Williams - none of them doing that great either. But from midfield into attack, the players that have been introduced into our starting XI or sold on have been more technical than outright pacy or strong players. Garnacho is fast, but he's not quite at Giggs or Ronaldo levels at the same age.

Ekeke

Interesting. He just turned 20 as well - perhaps too young a midfield with him and Mainoo as starters? Could play him as a rotation with Casemiro... What are his stand out qualities?
Tackling (especially slide tackles) and passing either spreading play or playing a ball over the top of the defence to try and put someone in

Age and aggression/ball winning are the main reasons I'd have him over Garner for a DM. He looks about the same level as Garner overall based on his first few games in the premier league against Chelsea and Everton. Obviously thats just 2 games whereas Garner has been doing it all season but again the age gap and the potential that get someone just as good but at an earlier age so more time for improvement

Rossa

Tackling (especially slide tackles) and passing either spreading play or playing a ball over the top of the defence to try and put someone in

Age and aggression/ball winning are the main reasons I'd have him over Garner for a DM. He looks about the same level as Garner overall based on his first few games in the premier league against Chelsea and Everton. Obviously thats just 2 games whereas Garner has been doing it all season but again the age gap and the potential that get someone just as good but at an earlier age so more time for improvement

Cheers!

His game looks very effortless, if that makes sense? Like he has all the time in the world. The really good players often have that ability - promising. He also looks to have pretty good vision from his position with accurate long range passing. He needs to take some lessons with Scholes to make them not quite as lofty. How is his engine and mobility?

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Very good second half, when he basically played as a midfielder.

Drove forward and used the ball well.