Sofyan Amrabat | 2023/24 Performances

GinobiliTheGOAT

You watched him regularly?
One of my friends is a big fiorentina fan, I’ve watched their matches more than any other serie A team because of him.

their fans were very happy to see him go. Doesn’t mean he’ll be bad for united, but he’s been fairly wank a heck of a lot more than he was good. Very error prone.

zaafi

One of my friends is a big fiorentina fan, I’ve watched their matches more than any other serie A team because of him.

their fans were very happy to see him go. Doesn’t mean he’ll be bad for united, but he’s been fairly wank a heck of a lot more than he was good. Very error prone.
That's interesting. Based on his stats, he very rarely miscontrols the ball and is seldom dispossessed. He is also one of the best midfielders in the world in terms of possession and passing, and is in 3rd percentile for errors. So either you're lying or you're watching a different player than Amrabat.

GinobiliTheGOAT

That's interesting. Based on his stats, he very rarely miscontrols the ball and is seldom dispossessed. He is also one of the best midfielders in the world in terms of possession and passing, and is in 3rd percentile for errors. So either you're lying or you're watching a different player than Amrabat.
Just Did a Google search, I think you’re way off the mark with his performances:

https://tribuna.com/amp/en/news/man...tina-fans-react-to-imminent-amrabat-transfer/

I get that you’re excited to overhype him but there’s a reason fiorentina were more than happy to let him go on loan

ShinjiNinja26

Watching him in that Conference League final he looked very good. Completely outshone £105m man Declan Rice despite being on the losing side.

zaafi

Just Did a Google search, I think you’re way off the mark with his performances:

https://tribuna.com/amp/en/news/man...tina-fans-react-to-imminent-amrabat-transfer/

I get that you’re excited to overhype him but there’s a reason fiorentina were more than happy to let him go on loan
Fiorentina weren't happy to let him go. His contract expires next year and he didn't want to renew, so the best solution for them would be to cash in on him while they have the chance.

If anything that article proves, it is that it's the system they play and not the player that is at fault here. This article is based on 3 Fiorentina fans who are probably sad to see him go, and this is how they vent their frustration. It is typical, and fans of every club does this when a player they like leave, United fans included.

AndyMUFC

We've needed a midfielder like him big time. Eriksen did a good job last season helping us improve from McFred but we've all been able to see off the ball that it's not his natural position.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Idxomer

Fiorentina weren't happy to let him go. His contract expires next year and he didn't want to renew, so the best solution for them would be to cash in on him while they have the chance.

If anything that article proves, it is that it's the system they play and not the player that is at fault here. This article is based on 3 Fiorentina fans who are probably sad to see him go, and this is how they vent their frustration. It is typical, and fans of every club does this when a player they like leave, United fans included.
He's just annoyed because Barca couldn't get him and instead bought that shit ex-Southampton player.

GinobiliTheGOAT

oh dear, there’s a reason he barely got noticed outside of a WC run. I get that you are desperate for the signing to work out as united have struggled with good signings and fingers crossed he does well but we have a lot more performances outside his WC suggesting he is often anonymous. I’ll take the fans words over yours easily.

He's just annoyed because Barca couldn't get him and instead bought that shit ex-Southampton player.
You want to overhype against crystal palace’s b team be my guest. I think Barca dodged a bullet. I get united desperately need some signings to work out with how the season has gone so far so people will grasp onto anything.

@zaafi here are more stats for you:

https://tribuna.com/amp/en/news/liv...-as-he-is-with-morocco-at-world-cup-answered/

And maybe he does become good for united, all the best with him, but overhyping against a very poor palace B team is funny. But again, with how bad United’s start this season has been I know people understandably really want him to work out and get the other players going in midfield.

Last edited:

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Does anyone know about his engine? Was this an adrenaline dump for him or has he been haring about indefatigably in Serie A like this the majority of his games?

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
oh dear, there’s a reason he barely got noticed outside of a WC run. I get that you are desperate for the signing to work out as united have struggled with good signings and fingers crossed he does well but we have a lot more performances outside his WC suggesting he is often anonymous. I’ll take the fans words over yours easily.

You want to overhype against crystal palace’s b team be my guest. I think Barca dodged a bullet. I get united desperately need some signings to work out with how the season has gone so far so people will grasp onto anything.
You said you watched him a lot yourself earlier on this page, now you're basing your opinion on other fans?

I'm not going to get excited about him until I see him do it against better teams than that, but I'm at least glad we now have a player capable of showing energy and passing well in the middle.

zaafi

Maybe you should look at statistics, which are literal facts, instead of listening to three or four frustrated Fiorentina fans? You claim he is very error prone, but if you had bothered, you'd know he's not error prone at all.

What do you even mean by he barely got noticed? He was wanted by Atletico Madrid, Barcelona, Liverpool and United. He was very close to joining Klopp, but he only wanted United. But sure, a couple Fiorentina fans know better. :lol:

avgp_1

Maybe you should look at statistics, which are literal facts, instead of listening to three or four frustrated Fiorentina fans? You claim he is very error prone, but if you had bothered, you'd know he's not error prone at all.

What do you even mean by he barely got noticed? He was wanted by Atletico Madrid, Barcelona, Liverpool and United. He was very close to joining Klopp, but he only wanted United. But sure, a couple Fiorentina fans know better. :lol:
TBH the errors could be down to his defensive work because he does have lapses in concentration.. failing to track runners, clumsiness trying to win the ball etc. He'll be a fine player if he can curb those here.

OverratedOpinion

What a weird way of trying to make a point but okay.

https://www.violanation.com/2023/6/...rabat-biraghi-bonaventura-gonzalez-milenkovic

https://www.violanation.com/special...view-player-grades-best-goal-signing-transfer

Seems that he was extremely popular with Foirentina fans. "Collosal", "a star", "Italy's most destructive midfield force".

Then you can look at the stats or watch him and see that none of your claims are true. Or you could look at the clubs who wanted him.

Pretty much any way you dice it, you're talking a load of rubbish.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
This guy will make such a difference to your team, definitely your best signing. He’s always available, always moving. Get Varane fit, you will turn your season around IMO. Made himself available for 90 mins.

Ekeke

The problem is you're hyperfocusing on one area. The one area that is his strength.

He's a deep midfielder who is average defensively - although fairly strong physically, not that fast as a counterpoint. He can be making mistakes positionally, defensively, giving away a freekick in a poor area etc. Its not just about giving the ball away with a pass that means something is an error.

That is indeed where he's best, he comes deep to get on the ball and is happiest when he can play a 30 yard pass across from one side of the pitch to the other, or play a long ball into the box from deep for players to try and get a shot from. In that one particular area of playing the ball yeah he's not going to mess up too much because thats his comfort zone.

A midfielder needs to do more than 1 thing.

Also when it comes to the "error" stats you find online they tend to list it as a very specific thing, losing the ball leading to a shot or goal and along those lines. That is not what most people mean when they talk about an error. You can make an error without the opponent being able to convert it into a chance or goal. If you get lucky and they mess up does it change that you left the chance open for them to do more than they did? Next time you might not get lucky. Or it might happen in a really important match which means more than an error in a common match.

He is as a player similar to Jorginho in his first season at Chelsea but more mediocre and stronger physically. Or a third as good Carrick without the defending but more physicality.

That doesnt mean he wont play better than McTom is currently playing. But overall its mostly a sidegrade on when McTom is playing well. He's more of a passer and someone wanting to get on the ball but McTom when playing well is a better ball winner and goal threat. If he was equally as good at ball winning as McTom I'd say he's a better fit in the position because we have Casemiro going forward as a goal threat. But he isnt. So you are sacrificing McTom's better ball winning for Amrabat's higher activity with the ball and better passing. We should in theory be better with the ball but if we lose it we're likely even more vulnerable than we already are on counterattacks and opponent attacks.

Anyway he did well as a fill in left back and didnt have much time in the middle before being subbed. So bring on the next game where he gets to start in midfield and have a proper chance to show what he can do. If he can suddenly do a great job ball winning and defending when Casemiro fails to track back or is caught up the pitch on an attack then thats when he will have been a really good player to bring in. So he needs a few games in midfield to show if he has that. He didnt at Fiorentina and they have a midfielder who can do the 30-40 yard passes but also get forward and score from range. So they certainly didnt need him and are sitting 5th with a game in hand over 2 clubs they could pass with the right result. The best Fiorentina run in ages

IrishRedDevil

Does anyone know about his engine? Was this an adrenaline dump for him or has he been haring about indefatigably in Serie A like this the majority of his games?
Not sure, but in the interview after the game last night he said he was working hard on his fitness for the last 2/3 weeks after injury, and he said he still needs more game time to get his fitness levels up. More to come…

Kag

He’s going to be one of the first names on the team sheet after the next few games, we should have had him in from day one of the season yet again the Glazers delaying tactics cost the club.
This shit in the transfer market fecks up our start to the season almost every year.

All of this shenanigans for a loan signing.

I expect Amrabat will play next to Casemiro a fair bit going forward.

IrishRedDevil

He’s going to be one of the first names on the team sheet after the next few games, we should have had him in from day one of the season yet again the Glazers delaying tactics cost the club.
It was apparently our ‘Scouting Department’ that said he wasn’t suitable for English football…

That probably caused internal debate and delay.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It was apparently our ‘Scouting Department’ that said he wasn’t suitable for English football…

Mitten was also saying the other day that what he heard was concerns if he was quick enough for the prem. Just a complete lack of understanding from whoever it was with these concerns of what quickness is required in midfield. You need mental awareness and mental quickness. He knows where to move into space after every touch and pass, to remain in space and be an option. That's the #1 attribute for a midfielder like that. Know where to move so you can always receive the ball in space off the defenders. It's crazy because that's what made Scholes and Carrick so good for so long, yet seemingly the club forgot what they were so good at.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
The problem is you're hyperfocusing on one area. The one area that is his strength.

He's a deep midfielder who is average defensively - although fairly strong physically, not that fast as a counterpoint. He can be making mistakes positionally, defensively, giving away a freekick in a poor area etc. Its not just about giving the ball away with a pass that means something is an error.

That is indeed where he's best, he comes deep to get on the ball and is happiest when he can play a 30 yard pass across from one side of the pitch to the other, or play a long ball into the box from deep for players to try and get a shot from. In that one particular area of playing the ball yeah he's not going to mess up too much because thats his comfort zone.

Also when it comes to the "error" stats you find online they tend to list it as a very specific thing, losing the ball leading to a shot or goal and along those lines. That is not what most people mean when they talk about an error. You can make an error without the opponent being able to convert it into a chance or goal. If you get lucky and they mess up does it change that you left the chance open for them to do more than they did? Next time you might not get lucky. Or it might happen in a really important match which means more than an error in a common match.

He is as a player similar to Jorginho in his first season at Chelsea but more mediocre and stronger physically. Or a third as good Carrick without the defending but more physicality.

That doesnt mean he wont play better than McTom is currently playing. But overall its mostly a sidegrade on when McTom is playing well. He's more of a passer and someone wanting to get on the ball but McTom when playing well is a better ball winner and goal threat. If he was equally as good at ball winning as McTom I'd say he's a better fit in the position because we have Casemiro going forward as a goal threat. But he isnt. So you are sacrificing McTom's better ball winning for Amrabat's higher activity with the ball and better passing. We should in theory be better with the ball but if we lose it we're likely even more vulnerable than we already are on counterattacks and opponent attacks.

Anyway he did well as a fill in left back and didnt have much time in the middle before being subbed. So bring on the next game where he gets to start in midfield and have a proper chance to show what he can do. If he can suddenly do a great job ball winning and defending when Casemiro fails to track back or is caught up the pitch on an attack then thats when he will have been a really good player to bring in. So he needs a few games in midfield to show if he has that. He didnt at Fiorentina and they have a midfielder who can do the 30-40 yard passes but also get forward and score from range. So they certainly didnt need him and are sitting 5th with a game in hand over 2 clubs they could pass with the right result. The best Fiorentina run in ages
Mctominay is awful at tracking runners, getting back in transition and they are both pretty clumsy in the tackle. Amrabat being a worse defensive option to Mctominay is a wild take.

Ekeke

Mctominay is awful at tracking runners, getting back in transition and they are both pretty clumsy in the tackle. Amrabat being a worse defensive option to Mctominay is a wild take.
How many matches have you watched Amrabat Vs. Mctom?

McTom is a much better ball winner, neither are good tracking back.

Kramer

Lot of debate on how happy/sad Fiorentina were to see him leave.

But here’s the thing. He’ll be replacing Fred/Mctominay minutes. And on that sole point alone, he will be a major upgrade lads.

A midfielder who is available to receive the ball and actually be willing to receive it and turn. I’m sold.

Of course he’s no Frenkie De Jong. We know that. Don’t expect him to be world class. But we don’t need him to be. Based on the skills he does possess, he will make us a much better and more balanced team. And for that, I am happy.

RussellWilson

2020 NFC Fantasy League winner
How many matches have you watched Amrabat Vs. Mctom?

McTom is a much better ball winner, neither are good tracking back.
In a defensive system with morroco, Amrabat has proved he is a very good ball winner and the stats back that up.

They are both very prone to giving away fouls.

zaafi

How is he average defensively? Because his defensive percentiles when it comes to tackles and interceptions on FBref said so?

Your position on the field is not an error. "Error prone" means exactly that - prone to errors. It has nothing to do with where you are on the pitch, so if he meant that he isn't positionally aware, then he should say that, and not error prone.

If you pass the ball to an opponent, that is an error, even if it doesn't result in a chance. He is one of the best passers in Serie A, so obviously I'm going to focus on his strengths and what we've been lacking in midfield. You should think of him like a deep lying playmaker first and foremost, and not a defensive beast, even if he looks like a defensive madman like Vidal. Him being decent defensively and at tracking runners is a bonus, but it's mainly Casemiro's job to do this, while Amrabat should be a focal point of possession and passing.

I don't even know why you claim he is bad at tracking runners, but it indicates you haven't watched him much. Besides, when you say he is mostly a sidegrade on McTominay, you pretty much lose all your credibility with this post.

Ekeke

How is he average defensively? Because his defensive percentiles when it comes to tackles and interceptions on FBref said so?

Your position on the field is not an error. "Error prone" means exactly that - prone to errors. It has nothing to do with where you are on the pitch, so if he meant that he isn't positionally aware, then he should say that, and not error prone.

If you pass the ball to an opponent, that is an error, even if it doesn't result in a chance. He is one of the best passers in Serie A, so obviously I'm going to focus on his strengths and what we've been lacking in midfield. You should think of him like a deep lying playmaker first and foremost, and not a defensive beast, even if he looks like a defensive madman like Vidal. Him being decent defensively and at tracking runners is a bonus, but it's mainly Casemiro's job to do this, while Amrabat should be a focal point of possession and passing.

I don't even know why you claim he is bad at tracking runners, but it indicates you haven't watched him much. Besides, when you say he is mostly a sidegrade on McTominay, you pretty much lose all your credibility with this post.
I watched Fiorentina a lot. Thats how I know Mandragora is a better midfielder who can also do the 30 yard passes Amrabat does and why I wasnt impressed with us going for him. He didnt stand out at Fiorentina while players like Castrovilli and Mandragora who also play in midfield for them do. Theres also Bonaventura having a great time but he's too old to be a target. Its very weird when people who havent taken the time to watch him over a period make comments like this. Self report really.

Its also why I suggested Lucas Quarta Martinez as a CB upgrade before this summer. He's started the season like he was last season, outstanding for them. A few more - Was watching when Fiorentina were struggling for a striker and started giving Vlahovic games. They kept being linked with strikers but he looked good enough to me. Also was a big fan of Chiesa back when we were linked with Sancho and thought Milenkovic was overrated. But yeah I guess ive never seen Amrabat play

Last edited:

Ekeke

In a defensive system with morroco, Amrabat has proved he is a very good ball winner and the stats back that up.

They are both very prone to giving away fouls.
I wasnt saying Amrabat does all the things I listed it was a general point. I was explaining that errors arent just losing the ball when you have it. A player can make those mistakes too and not be counted on websites under "error" stats

zaafi

I watched Fiorentina a lot. Thats how I know Mandragora is a better midfielder who can also do the 30 yard passes Amrabat does and why I wasnt impressed with us going for him. He didnt stand out at Fiorentina while players like Castrovilli and Mandragora who also play in midfield for them do. Theres also Bonaventura having a great time but he's too old to be a target. Its very weird when people who havent taken the time to watch him over a period make comments like this. Self report really.

Its also why I suggested Lucas Quarta Martinez as a CB upgrade before this summer. He's started the season like he was last season, outstanding for them. A few more - Was watching when Fiorentina were struggling for a striker and started giving Vlahovic games. They kept being linked with strikers but he looked good enough to me. Also was a big fan of Chiesa back when we were linked with Sancho and thought Milenkovic was overrated. But yeah I guess ive never seen Amrabat play
There is not a single Fiorentina fan that would rate Mandragora over Amrabat. Be serious. It's fine that you don't agree with us going for Amrabat, but rating Mandragora - a nothing midfielder who would struggle breaking into Nottingham Forest's midfield (he also couldn't break into Juventus' average midfield) - over Amrabat is lunacy. Bonaventura is an understandable shout - a much better player than Mandragora, but even then, he's not better than Amrabat.

According to yourself, you've watched a lot of Fiorentina, but I guess you're just really poor at recognising a player's abilities.

Woziak

I heard this and whilst one excellent performance doesn’t means he’s the second coming of Roy Keane or Bryan Robson, he showed enough last night to show how inept our scouting department truly is ?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
We're lucky if we get one good month out of McTominay a season. And that's not an exaggeration at all.

Even if all Amrabat ends up doing is being consistently at the level that Scott is for that one month a season, overall it's a significant improvement. Maybe that won't be the case and he'll be as inconsistent as Scott is, but he's certainly started well.