Sofyan Amrabat | 2023/24 Performances

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Please no more left back. Please.

Play him in his position.

Put Dalot (urgh) left back and Lindelof (double urgh) right back, he's a disaster on there.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Hard to judge a player being played completely out of position. But I still believe he's far too slow with the ball and will be caught out in midfield

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
The period of the matches we looked best were when he stayed wider and got forward a bit to support on the left. As soon he drifted inside of Lindelöf, it offered nothing. I don’t get it. I know how an inverted full back can work, but this isn’t it.

OrcaFat

There were times and periods where he looked completely fine and comfortable playing leftback for us tonight. But then he was suddenly making mistakes at the back. The Gala 2nd he was involved pulled out of position which had a chain reaction needing his defenders to cover him and they failed. It was a normal thing to happen to a fullback so is something that can happen with our actual fullbacks.

However, the final goal is from a hopeful long ball forward that wasnt on and then playing the player onside. That one is all him
Yeah, he’s obviously not comfortable there but was doing a decent job. Lost concentration when he got tired and, frankly it’s bound to happen when you’re playing out of position.

EtH didn’t have too many palatable options but with hindsight it looks like it was a mistake to play him there.

Dr. StrangeHate

Yeah, he’s obviously not comfortable there but was doing a decent job. Lost concentration when he got tired and, frankly it’s bound to happen when you’re playing out of position.

EtH didn’t have too many palatable options but with hindsight it looks like it was a mistake to play him there.
Yia might as well play with a CB there. Lindelof at LB with Evans or Harry partnering Varane.

NZT-One

MOTM after Højlund, even with that mistake.
Thats probably a very exclusive perspective.

I am a bit discouraged that he seems as timid as he does. Where is all the bulldog'ness that was described before? I think, latest when Casemiro went off, he should have been moved to midfield, but he didn't impress today because he was playing a traditional LB role. He looks like a player who a) doesn't look like physically ready for this and b) like player who is used way more time on the ball. Both things could get better over time, lets hope so, but if that isn't happening, I am glad, it is only a loan. But very early days, lets hope he improves and gets more accustomed to his team mates and the competitions. And lets lower the expectations, it doesn't help anybody when some are now trying to continue their songs by insisting that he will be so much better only by getting a starting position that is a little further up and more central.

OrcaFat

I am a bit discouraged that he seems as timid as he does. Where is all the bulldog'ness that was described before? I think, latest when Casemiro went off, he should have been moved to midfield, but he didn't impress today because he was playing a traditional LB role. He looks like a player who a) doesn't look like physically ready for this and b) like player who is used way more time on the ball. Both things could get better over time, lets hope so, but if that isn't happening, I am glad, it is only a loan. But very early days, lets hope he improves and gets more accustomed to his team mates and the competitions. And lets lower the expectations, it doesn't help anybody when some are now trying to continue their songs by insisting that he will be so much better only by getting a starting position that is a little further up and more central.
Well I share some of your concerns but I don’t think it is a stretch to imagine he will play better in his regular position. He did pretty well for the most part and looked decent in his other games for us. People have said “he’s not a left back” and I would agree with that.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Shaw, Malacia, Regulion. How many clubs have three strong left backs, and yet none of them available and forced to play a midfielder as a left back? Not to mention that our right back AWB is also injured, otherwise we'd have played Dalot on the left.

We need somebody to remove whatever curse was put on our club this season ;)

NZT-One

Well I share some of your concerns but I don’t think it is a stretch to imagine he will play better in his regular position. He did pretty well for the most part and looked decent in his other games for us. People have said “he’s not a left back” and I would agree with that.
He for sure isn't but he also isn't asked to play like a traditional leftback. He is already moving into the center, interchanging with the CBs to support 1st phase play and generally being a pivot in the buildup. That is not going to change dramatically when he plays where Casemiro plays. He won't get more space and time there, he won't be expectated to cover less ground and to add some steele. I think, he is doing just fine for now, right to the level that can be expected from a new player in a new league. But until today, I am yet to see some of the steel, bite and especially the kind of progressive passing that has to be in there somewhere. Don't get me wrong, he was ok, but the biggest selling point was that he is at least(weird choice of words but I am sure you understand what I mean) exceptional with progressive long passes but by now, he wasn't able to show it.

Josh 76

I've seen some good parts to his game, which will be useful when he moves into midfield. Definitely gives us more energy. A midfield 3 of, Casemiro, Amrabat and Mount maybe could work.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Surely we have a youth team player who could be brought in for a few games at LB? Amrabat looks like he could be allright in his natural position, but at LB he doesn't have the positional awareness.

OrcaFat

He for sure isn't but he also isn't asked to play like a traditional leftback. He is already moving into the center, interchanging with the CBs to support 1st phase play and generally being a pivot in the buildup. That is not going to change dramatically when he plays where Casemiro plays. He won't get more space and time there, he won't be expectated to cover less ground and to add some steele. I think, he is doing just fine for now, right to the level that can be expected from a new player in a new league. But until today, I am yet to see some of the steel, bite and especially the kind of progressive passing that has to be in there somewhere. Don't get me wrong, he was ok, but the biggest selling point was that he is at least(weird choice of words but I am sure you understand what I mean) exceptional with progressive long passes but by now, he wasn't able to show it.
Read the effusive comments in his debut match thread. He showed a lot. I think you are underestimating the effect the responsibility of being the left back would have on your general play. Playing no6 knowing you have a left back with you is different to playing no6 when you also have to BE the left back.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Get Lindelgod as RB, put Dalot as left back and get this guy in the middle where he belongs.

Was hopelessly out of position for the winner, looks tidy on the ball though, so get him in the middle influencing things.

Guv77

Get Lindelgod as RB, put Dalot as left back and get this guy in the middle where he belongs.

Was hopelessly out of position for the winner, looks tidy on the ball though, so get him in the middle influencing things.
Lindelof and Varane were hopelessly out of position for the winner.

garelo

I missed the palace game in league cup where his performance was praised by many so i was eager to watch the palace game in pl but 2 games in, if i'm being honest he looked painfully average in those 2 occasions. Although it's really hard to judge considering he's been played out of position. one thing i trully dislike about him though, his "habit?" to hand the ball whenever he was down, is he mentally handicapped? i'm sorry but one or two occasions, he'd get red card for that.

Harry Freak

I usually read club supporters forums like Caf when someone is mentioned as new signing. It gives you more accurate information about player than some highlight video of him on YouTube. You will not find many Fiorentina fans crying over Amrabat leaving them. If you read Stuttgart forum about Wataru Endo, it’s completely different song. He was considered to be their best player and they all rave about him and wish him well in Liverpool. No crying fans of Inter about Onana leaving as well FYI. Good scouting team makes difference.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
No,

Amrabat was playing Icardi onside.
Think thats harsh. Hes dropped a bit deeper to play the pass, its a poor pass. The CBs are not in position to protect against a transition e.g if the pass is intercepted.

Amrabat makes a poor pass.
The CBs are in the wrong position in relation to Amrabat.They left Icardi on his own

FattyFooty

Shaw, Malacia, Regulion. How many clubs have three strong left backs, and yet none of them available and forced to play a midfielder as a left back? Not to mention that our right back AWB is also injured, otherwise we'd have played Dalot on the left.

We need somebody to remove whatever curse was put on our club this season ;)
Ten Hag then.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He's not a LB and I'm certain Ten Hag sees that, he's playing him there because he wants to be smart with inverted fullbacks joining midfield.

We need to play simple midfield base of Amrabat and Casemiro together. Play Dalot LB and whoever on RB, Lindelof, even feckin McTominay. It's not like we're doing anything offensively on right hand side anyway, so at least let's have more threat on the left and seal the midfield.

Champ

Think thats harsh. Hes dropped a bit deeper to play the pass, its a poor pass. The CBs are not in position to protect against a transition e.g if the pass is intercepted.

Amrabat makes a poor pass.
The CBs are in the wrong position in relation to Amrabat.They left Icardi on his own
He doesn't step up, the CBs have stepped up, Amrabat is dawdling and too deep, he should be in line leaving Icardi in. He had time to do so.
The CBs shouldn't be in line with the LB, it should be the CBs leading the line and so the LB should be the one stepping up.
There's a reason Lindelgod and Varane had stepped up together.

I think had that been the first half he probably would have stepped up, but he switched off momentarily and it cost us.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
He doesn't step up, the CBs have stepped up, Amrabat is dawdling and too deep, he should be in line leaving Icardi in. He had time to do so.
The CBs shouldn't be in line with the LB, it should be the CBs leading the line and so the LB should be the one stepping up.
There's a reason Lindelgod and Varane had stepped up together.

I think had that been the first half he probably would have stepped up, but he switched off momentarily and it cost us.
The CBs stepped up when we had the ball. He dropped deeper with the ball to make the pass. At that point they needed to drop

Everything you are saying relates to when the opposition has the ball. When we have the ball its about rest defence and being able to stop transition. They should be aware we have the ball deeper and our players should be able to see the CF

SambaBoy

I agree but luckily a and b will improve with time. It's a matter of fitness and adapting to the PL which will happen once he moves into midfield I'd imagine. It's not like hoping that AWB learns how to dribble and attack or Lindelof on how to defend.

We have to remember he probably hasn't had a pre-season, he arrived late into the window and hasn't been training so naturally he's probably not at match fit. He's also come into a mess of a team playing out of position in a demanding role.

A few more games and being moved into the middle and I think he'll be fine. I don't think his technique or his use of the ball has been bad so far.

Champ

The CBs stepped up when we had the ball. He dropped deeper with the ball to make the pass. At that point they needed to drop

Everything you are saying relates to when the opposition has the ball. When we have the ball its about rest defence and being able to stop transition. They should be aware we have the ball deeper and our players should be able to see the CF
Disagree entirely, no CBs would drop deeper in that situation, they are leading the line.
Amrabat should have stepped up and didn't.
The ball was played forward, Amrabat should have the awareness to step up, leave Icardi offside, alas he didn't. Not entirely his fault, that's not his natural game but he should still know and do better.

Just one snippet from a write-up on the game last night: Victor Lindelöf stepped up and watched the ball bounce past him and Icardi was through, Amrabat having played him onside

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
He can't play LB on Saturday surely. Even in the flashes he's looked good it's been when he's moved central. He's been all over the shop in fullback areas (not his fault I guess). Dalot LB, Lindelof RB on Satuday (assuming Reguilon injured)

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
He's not a LB and I'm certain Ten Hag sees that, he's playing him there because he wants to be smart with inverted fullbacks joining midfield.

We need to play simple midfield base of Amrabat and Casemiro together. Play Dalot LB and whoever on RB, Lindelof, even feckin McTominay. It's not like we're doing anything offensively on right hand side anyway, so at least let's have more threat on the left and seal the midfield.
Ten Hag said he was able to play LB when we signed him (rightly or wrongly). Hopefully he's realised that he was wrong.

Other than the positional change, I think he's another midfielder that falls into the 'average' bracket that many of our others do/did (McTominay, Fred, Sabitzer, VDB). I don't think he looks better than Fred if I'm honest. Maybe more robust physically, but a lot slower with a bit of an ambling gait, not overly assured on the ball, his passes have a loose look at times even if they do somehow make it to their man. If I'm honest, an opposition manager will be looking at him in midfield as a big opportunity - as soon as he is pressed he is all over the place, much like Fred.

He's certainly not going to revolutionise our midfield like some hoped. In the right set up with a decent plan then he could form part of a solid midfield 3 unit. Don't think he's got the outstanding individual qualities to really stand out the way we try to play.

Marwood

Disagree entirely, no CBs would drop deeper in that situation, they are leading the line.
Amrabat should have stepped up and didn't.
The ball was played forward, Amrabat should have the awareness to step up, leave Icardi offside, alas he didn't. Not entirely his fault, that's not his natural game but he should still know and do better.

Just one snippet from a write-up on the game last night: Victor Lindelöf stepped up and watched the ball bounce past him and Icardi was through, Amrabat having played him onside
He can't step up that quick though. It's impossible. He launched the ball and a second later its headed back and Icardi is through.

The pass was the problem.

But ETH can't complain, he's clearly asked his players to go long and this is what you get as a result

Jeffthered

Hard to judge a player being played completely out of position. But I still believe he's far too slow with the ball and will be caught out in midfield
Exactly. Again, I blame ETH. You could play Dalot there, and play Lindeholf at RB.

Their third goal highlights why you cannot have Amrabat, or a central midfielder at left-back. So much wrong with that goal.

spiriticon

Since when has he ever played left back at a top level in his life, and why are we asking him to do this now? Wild moves by the manager.

There are surely many other LB options available that are better than Amrabat, even the kids.

Champ

He can't step up that quick though. It's impossible. He launched the ball and a second later its headed back and Icardi is through.

The pass was the problem.

But ETH can't complain, he's clearly asked his players to go long and this is what you get as a result
He can step up, quite easily. Anyone that's played the game or follows the game should know he needs to step up there, a simple glance across the line would tell him that

From the ball being played to the ball coming back there's around 4 or five seconds, easily enough time to make up 5 yards if there's a jog, rather than a walk.
It's basic defending and a lapse of concentration when we needed players switched on the most.

philippexyz

We can't judge him properly still, he's not playing in his position. He can definitely win the ball, passing and press resistance are good/ok. In front of goal, he seems harmless, though. But, as a deepest midfielder, that wouldn't/shouldn't be much of a problem. He isn't really good in the air, as well, I think.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Ten Hag said he was able to play LB when we signed him (rightly or wrongly). Hopefully he's realised that he was wrong.

Other than the positional change, I think he's another midfielder that falls into the 'average' bracket that many of our others do/did (McTominay, Fred, Sabitzer, VDB). I don't think he looks better than Fred if I'm honest. Maybe more robust physically, but a lot slower with a bit of an ambling gait, not overly assured on the ball, his passes have a loose look at times even if they do somehow make it to their man. If I'm honest, an opposition manager will be looking at him in midfield as a big opportunity - as soon as he is pressed he is all over the place, much like Fred.

He's certainly not going to revolutionise our midfield like some hoped. In the right set up with a decent plan then he could form part of a solid midfield 3 unit. Don't think he's got the outstanding individual qualities to really stand out the way we try to play.
What else was he supposed to say? That he can't play fullback but that's the only option left? I wouldn't pay much attention to what ETH says publicly.

Back to Amrabat, there were two views presented in his thread when we were after him. First group made him look like deep lying playmaker with great engine and superb passing skills. Second group was a bit sceptical as there wasn't any serious interest in Amrabat from other clubs, and every clip he looked good presented him in acres of space doing a diagonal pass.

Truth is, he was bought as a squad player, and similarly like with Mount, I think he brings something different to the team while not a game changer himself. I think he's a better player than McTominay and that is OK. But regarding Fred, I always thought this is a mistake to sell him for peanuts and it doesn't seem like we've replaced him (I also think Hannibal will be dismissed soon).

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
What else was he supposed to say? That he can't play fullback but that's the only option left? I wouldn't pay much attention to what ETH says publicly.

Back to Amrabat, there were two views presented in his thread when we were after him. First group made him look like deep lying playmaker with great engine and superb passing skills. Second group was a bit sceptical as there wasn't any serious interest in Amrabat from other clubs, and every clip he looked good presented him in acres of space doing a diagonal pass.

Truth is, he was bought as a squad player, and similarly like with Mount, I think he brings something different to the team while not a game changer himself. I think he's a better player than McTominay and that is OK. But regarding Fred, I always thought this is a mistake to sell him for peanuts and it doesn't seem like we've replaced him (I also think Hannibal will be dismissed soon).
In response to the bolded part, he said this before the injury to Reguilon. This was when we first signed him and it wasn't even looking like he would be needed at LB at that point. What I'm saying is that having to play Amrabat at LB wasn't an issue in ETH's eyes as he already viewed him as a player that could play there.

I agree with the rest of what you say. The only point I would make is that McTominay hasn't always been a disaster. He kept Casemiro out of the team for a while last season due to him playing well. It was the same with Fred, hot and cold all the time. McTominay is the same but he is currently blowing cold and the opinion of him reflects that. I can just see Amrabat falling into the same category. Like you said, not a game changer or a world beater but if he's playing well then he can offer something different maybe. What it is that he will offer largely remains to be seen, I think an inform McTominay offers similar attributes based on what I've seen so far (bar maybe the odd long diagonal that Amrabat plays). But the harrying, working hard, physicality, short safe passes is all things McTominay offers when he is on his game.

RuudTom83

The knock-on effect of moving him into midfield will mean one of Mount/Bruno will need to be benched.

Also from what I have seen so far neither Amrabat or Casemiro look like a DM.

But I'll wait to see what he looks like in CM first.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
In response to the bolded part, he said this before the injury to Reguilon. This was when we first signed him and it wasn't even looking like he would be needed at LB at that point. What I'm saying is that having to play Amrabat at LB wasn't an issue in ETH's eyes as he already viewed him as a player that could play there.

I agree with the rest of what you say. The only point I would make is that McTominay hasn't always been a disaster. He kept Casemiro out of the team for a while last season due to him playing well. It was the same with Fred, hot and cold all the time. McTominay is the same but he is currently blowing cold and the opinion of him reflects that. I can just see Amrabat falling into the same category. Like you said, not a game changer or a world beater but if he's playing well then he can offer something different maybe. What it is that he will offer largely remains to be seen, I think an inform McTominay offers similar attributes based on what I've seen so far (bar maybe the odd long diagonal that Amrabat plays). But the harrying, working hard, physicality, short safe passes is all things McTominay offers when he is on his game.
McTominay's bad periods massively outweigh the good though. He was good for the first month under ETH, then was poor for the rest of last season. The season before he was good for the first month under Rangnick, poor the rest. So two good months in two seasons. The season before that I don't think he had any good runs of form, just the odd good match here and there. For instance 'that' Leeds match that people still talk about was followed directly by his worst ever performance against Leicester.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Surely we have a youth team player who could be brought in for a few games at LB? Amrabat looks like he could be allright in his natural position, but at LB he doesn't have the positional awareness.
We loaned him out. We're just run by geniuses.

Hester_manc

He looks like a midfielder trying to play left back. He has been terrible in that position, and I will wait to judge him, before he plays in his real position. But as left back he is useless.