Sofyan Amrabat | 2023/24 Performances

Castia

He’s 27 and had a decent World Cup that one time

Bang average player but anyone who’d seen him play could have told you that. Argued and argued in this thread with people telling me he’s a good player.

Fiorentina aren’t loaning top players out. It’s as simple as that.

HookedOnAPhelan

In his first game for us playing out of position he was strong, smart, tidy, confident. Seems to have caught the United virus in record time.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
I like his positioning and his passing but it feels like he's a step behind. I don't know if it's fitness, getting used to the team or both but he needs to step up because we need his profile in the team.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
In his first game for us playing out of position he was strong, smart, tidy, confident. Seems to have caught the United virus in record time.
I think the first game he played exactly like I saw him in Fiora highlights - low intensity game, no pressing, easy passing options.

One thing about Fred - he was a perfect squad player. He could fill a gap and if you were losing midfield battle, or were one man down for that matter, he could close the gap. Amrabat looks just super slow, I don't understand how this was not picked up as a problem when we were scouting him.

Betson

Not taking his chance at all , he talked about his lifelong dream of coming here and then we he gets his chance to show what he can do he is just so passive. There was one decent pass last night.

But most if his time here has been pointless two or yard pass's to nowhere and not looking even to get on the ball or get involved that much.

I think it was Rio Ferdinand said when he was playing one of his first games form Utd and was keeping everything very simple with pointless 5 yard sideways passes that Roy Keane came over to him and roared that you are not at fecking Leeds now and that more than that is expected off a Man Utd player.

Someone needs to pass that advise on Amrabat or his dream move will be over very soon.

Heinzesight

Has a really annoying habit of dwindling on the ball near the centre circle, gets pressed a bit and plays a weak pass to a teammate which is intercepted.

Looking like a bit of a plodder but it’s still early days for him.

Aresma7

I dont Get why we sold fred. He was our best player in many games last year. Also had quick feet and brazilian technique on top of running alot and closing space.

lex talionis

What is that we do to midfielders to fukk them all up when they arrive at Old Trafford?

Gordon Godot

I dont Get why we sold fred. He was our best player in many games last year. Also had quick feet and brazilian technique on top of running alot and closing space.
He wasn't good enough but we have replaced him with worse. ETH only signs his ex players....

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
:lol:

"Arggghhhhh!! Waht is happening to meeee? Why am I seeing Michael Jordan and various cartoon characters in my sleeep!!? Arghhhhh!"

Red&Black

Supports
Milan
his WC was excellent, and his Serie A performances were very good at best, average to good on average.

he got some insane hype on social media circles, but he was never more than an average player. this playing him out of position business isn't gonna do him any favors though, that's for certain.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
Ounahi, who was signed by Marseille after the WC, has also been struggling badly to play well. He's eventually been dropped.
Never sign on the back of World Cup performances seems to be the lesson here.
I thought he was better than Amrabat at the WC.

gaffs

I thought he was meant to be this press resistant midfielder who could be used to transition the ball between defense and attack. Not seen any of that.

In the lead up to their 4th goal, we are playing out the back. Dalot passes to Amrabat and he passes the way he is facing, back to Maguire.

This isnt what a top midfielder should do. He takes the simple option because prior to receiving the ball from Dalot, he has not looked left and right, so even though he has time to turn and progress the ball, he goes straight back to Maguire, which allows Copenhagen to continue their press.

We haven't seen that terrier from the World Cup either. Sorry, but i think he was "enhanced" in Qatar. He had something in the hookah pipe that was giving him super human energy.

OrcaFat

He played pretty well in the first minutes he got in CM but has not been so good since he got hooked at half time in a game where he was actually doing alright.

He’s a good player but he’s taking too long to hit his levels. Maybe that’s unfair on him but he’ll be back in Firenze if he doesn’t buck up.

I just wanted him and Case fit and available at the same time so they could push each other and sometimes play minutes together but our season is such fecking carnage that no such luck is in prospect. It’s depressing.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Remember his first game when he was "future fans favorite"? :wenger:
These posts, where we refer back to some optimistic comment made by a poor deluded United fan looking for something to be positive about and take the piss out of it when we turn in another shocker....well, I don't enjoy them.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Who said he was press resistant? I always found him the opposite of that because he turns slower than an ocean liner. Just put pressure on him and he isn’t quick footed enough to get the pass away

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
These posts, where we refer back to some optimistic comment made by a poor deluded United fan looking for something to be positive about and take the piss out of it when we turn in another shocker....well, I don't enjoy them.
Ok, fair play. I was mentioning that because it is (sadly) our story with nearly every player last 10 years. It was not a dig at someone or "told you so" shit. First few games it is all "wow" and "great" and every simple move is praised and then reality hits us like a truck.
Been there, done that myself with Martial, Depay, Antony ( :nervous: )....

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The descriptions of him as a player who could work space for himself and play forward passes from deep really had me sold. He sounded like exactly what we needed and an excellent stop gap, but watching him in action, he is slowwwww, sluggish and very poor in terms of agility. As many others have said, he overruns plays and takes himself out of position and the play and then has no ability to recover himself, on top of that, he's not quick, so simply shouldn't oversell himself like he does.

It doesn't look like a fitness issue - that'd be even less reason to oversell yourself in the tackle. The pace of the game just looks overwhelmingly fast for him.

His first couple of games gave more hope than those that have followed, which isn't a good sign.

Wonder how he'll be utilised in the future.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
I learnt after Darmian to never trust rave reviews of transfers on here until I've actually seen them play.

SER19

Disappointed by this. thought he was great in qatar and also on his debut he looked so composed despite being left back. Never expected fireworks but thought we'd have a really competent, fast passer and high energy defensive presence.

Fred was the better player, so far anyway.

FerociousCorgis

can we stop over rating our old players just because our new ones have struggled. Yeah fred would have an occasional game where he would look great, but most of the time he bounced between "ok" and "cant make a simple pass to save his life". Upgrading on him was clearly the right call, we just missed on the midfield signings so far it seems.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
can we stop over rating our old players just because our new ones have struggled. Yeah fred would have an occasional game where he would look great, but most of the time he bounced between "ok" and "cant make a simple pass to save his life". Upgrading on him was clearly the right call, we just missed on the midfield signings so far it seems.
Fred was so far and away the best presser at the club with or without Mount, that it's not even funny. It's a very bizarre move to get rid of your best presser by an absolute mile, then switch to the system that would benefit him literally more than anyone else in the squad!

lex talionis

I have no idea how great Amrabat was before we brought him in, but we've made quick work of turning him to shit as well.

Leftback99

It wasn’t clearly the right call if we’ve failed to do it.

FerociousCorgis

It wasn’t clearly the right call if we’ve failed to do it.
that makes zero sense. Those are two different things. 1) upgrade on fred. 2) find the specific player.
They are not mutually exclusive it wasnt like we had literally two options in the entire world, keep fred or sign amrabat.

The United

Ounahi, who was signed by Marseille after the WC, has also been struggling badly to play well. He's eventually been dropped.
Never sign on the back of World Cup performances seems to be the lesson here.
If managers (at united) actually want to learn, it was provided already by none other than SAF, who specifically talked about how he avoided doing that. He learnt that from at least a couple of signings like that.

Leftback99

that makes zero sense. Those are two different things. 1) upgrade on fred. 2) find the specific player.
They are not mutually exclusive it wasnt like we had literally two options in the entire world, keep fred or sign amrabat.
Can say the same for any player.

it was a bad decision.

FerociousCorgis

Fred was so far and away the best presser at the club with or without Mount, that it's not even funny. It's a very bizarre move to get rid of your best presser by an absolute mile, then switch to the system that would benefit him literally more than anyone else in the squad!
because we need midfielders who can actually pass the ball consistently. I love fred when he is pressing but holy hell he would routinely have stretches where his touch/pass was honestly worse than rec players ive seen. I cant speak to anything weve attempted this season it has just been so damn weird and i have no idea overall what we are trying to do in midfield. Pretty sure United having a functional midfield is listed under a sign of the End Times

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
because we need midfielders who can actually pass the ball consistently. I love fred when he is pressing but holy hell he would routinely have stretches where his touch/pass was honestly worse than rec players ive seen. I cant speak to anything weve attempted this season it has just been so damn weird and i have no idea overall what we are trying to do in midfield. Pretty sure United having a functional midfield is listed under a sign of the End Times
But if you want to press like lunatics, you don't get rid of your best presser. And Fred's passing was wildly erratic, but his bottom level is literally no worse than the dross we've seen served up in midfield this season.

It's a very strange state of affairs; if we were navigating away from pressing high up the pitch, sure, move him on, he's a liability the further back in midfield he is played, but if you're trying to be some monstrous vertical team, he's the last player you move on before securing the midfield and players to play in that manner. It's even worse when the player who was supposed to be the upgrade struggles mightily at being an actual midfielder and is behind the play for the majority of the game because he doesn't think like a midfielder.

Litch

I think the first game he played exactly like I saw him in Fiora highlights - low intensity game, no pressing, easy passing options.

One thing about Fred - he was a perfect squad player. He could fill a gap and if you were losing midfield battle, or were one man down for that matter, he could close the gap. Amrabat looks just super slow, I don't understand how this was not picked up as a problem when we were scouting him.
Spot on. They blamed Fred and now some people realise it was never easy in that midfield. Id argue the midfield has gone backwards...