Sofyan Amrabat | signs for United on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrcaFat

This is what I think we will see:
Yeah I saw that post and it’s an interesting idea but I don’t see EtH wilfully removing Martinez from the team as he is crucial to the way we play. Maybe he has a 3-4-3 idea up his sleeve and would bring Evans in.

We need an rvn

Wouldn't most of us? We're not spending another 50m on a midfielder this summer.
Agreed, but I just don’t see the point in spending £25m on a semi McT upgrade who won’t help us win the league when we should be making the signings like Lavia / caise etc.

We’ll constantly be stuck with players on 4 year contract who were trying to get off the books as they aren’t at the level we should be signing

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
Yeah I saw that post and it’s an interesting idea but I don’t see EtH wilfully removing Martinez from the team as he is crucial to the way we play. Maybe he has a 3-4-3 idea up his sleeve and would bring Evans in.
The idea is more about giving us another first phase progressor option other than Martinez. More tactical flexibility and no single point of failures if any player gets injured.

MinGin

Agreed, but I just don’t see the point in spending £25m on a semi McT upgrade who won’t help us win the league when we should be making the signings like Lavia / caise etc.

We’ll constantly be stuck with players on 4 year contract who were trying to get off the books as they aren’t at the level we should be signing
Then you need to know that what type will ETH prefer on that position, DLP or ball destroyer.
Recently, Amrabat would provide us propressive passing from deep position like Erikson last season but Lavia will only provide us a solid defense. Maybe Lavia will turn to a monster of passing machine but recently he will provide us a similar function of Case but not that good.
And I think ETH would prefer DLP on that position rather than ball destroyer..

MUFC OK

I'm not so sure about that. I can see us struggling with teams on the counter this season with the way we're structuring our midfield. Amarabat/ Mount will probably compound the issue if played with Case and Bruno.
Considering we got destroyed 7-0 there last season, yes it is. I don't see Mount as much of a defensive upgrade on Eriksen.

Amrabat has legs and can break up play. It should be us looking to counter in that fixture. Both can dispossess and ping balls into the channels so we can hurt them.

MUFC OK

He's a huge upgrade on McSideways. We arent signing lavia for 50m to sit on the bench and we need a squad.

Matt851

Is he really just a slight mct upgrade? I haven't seen much of him but mct's positioning and passing when playing in a deep position are terrible

We need an rvn

He's a huge upgrade on McSideways. We arent signing lavia for 50m to sit on the bench and we need a squad.
Is he really just a slight mct upgrade? I haven't seen much of him but mct's positioning and passing when playing in a deep position are terrible
I honestly haven't seen enough of him to truly judge him, other than at the WC (where some players just have a fantastic tournament and that's all your hear or see of them again). Whereas I have seen enough of Lavia to say I think he'd be great for the squad and plenty of scope to improve as well.

I think my point is more that when you look at the city squad, their bench step into our starting XI for the majority of places. Hence in order for us to improve we need to be signing players of that calibre in order to compete for the title again. I see Lavia as a better talent than Amrabat. I also see Lavia, as I do Caicedo, as a natural replacement for Casemiro - hence why I'd prefer them in the squad as I don't think Casemiro can do what he does in two more years time.

Redstain

I actually think this signing is a necessity because of Mount. It's almost like the club couldn't identify a quality player for the midfield to replace Eriksen with so the responsibilities in offering something is split into two different players. The more I think of it and on the premise of some pre season performances I see nothing in Mount to suggest he's going to excel in deeper positions. Realistically Mount is more of the understudy to Bruno.

flameinthesun

I'd imagine he might be able to function in a way Kroos or Modric did next to Casemiro which would be interesting. Definitely would be a good addition.

OrcaFat

Imo, Amrabat is better than both of those guys in the deep part of midfield which is where we need the competition / depth.

Also, he’s not a replacement for McT or anyone. He will add strength and variety to our MF. Having said that, we could do with the money from McT’s sale.

Jacob

My Serie A watching brother in law says he is toying with all midfields in the league, including Juventus.

OrcaFat

The idea is more about giving us another first phase progressor option other than Martinez. More tactical flexibility and no single point of failures if any player gets injured.
Yes. I just meant that solving the height issue by purposely swapping out Martinez for a taller CB is a no-no for me. If fit and in form, Martinez has to play, I feel. His positive impact on the side is huge.

Rysho

My Serie A watching brother in law says he is toying with all midfields in the league, including Juventus.
I was watching some of Fiorentina games in Europe and was surprised with him, stood out in their team. Playing style very similar to Carrick with better physical side of his game. Very comfortable in ball possession. For me it would be best signing alonside Hojlund.

James35

I see this guy as our most important signing personally, so really hope it goes through. Our current midfield will get found out again defensively this season without substantial reinforcements.

RC89

Maybe it's about the money we net by selling Mctominay/buying Amrabat and still getting a little upgrade?

OverratedOpinion

As someone who hasn't followed this at all. Are we at the stage where he's obviously signing but it's just about when or is it still just a possibility?

Trex

As someone who hasn't followed this at all. Are we at the stage where he's obviously signing but it's just about when or is it still just a possibility?
We're waiting for midfield departures, our options as it is overcrowded. But he wants us and it wouldn't cost much.

El-Manos

Romano claims that he had his heart set on us despite offers from elsewhere and that we will activate the bid once outgoings are confirmed.

Swedish_Plumber

Obviously you never quite know how signings will turn out, but if we get this guy it turns a good window into a great one (on paper).

croadyman

We're waiting for midfield departures, our options as it is overcrowded. But he wants us and it wouldn't cost much.
Yeah won't get any movement until we manage to sell Donny/Fred so best to sit tight

Chief123

Ok, I'll admit it - saw him at the world cup and that's about it. But is he actually any good? So confused as he really doesn't seem anything special at all, and isn't like an out-of-contract option, or a young prospect. If he's a Fred replacement that costs more than Fred, is he actually any better?
He isn’t going to cost more than Fred. He’s significantly better than Fred and Mctominay.

Chief123

Like the look of him, should be brought in. However, I'm concerned about our aerial ability in midfield and the team in generally, especially if we sell Mctominay.
I’m more concerned about our footballing ability if we have McTominay in the team. Anyway, we are gaining a 6’3 player in our expected starting lineup which will add height/presence along with Varane, Casemiro, Shaw and the improved aerial dominance of Onana compared to De Gea.

Hopefully Onana will come and claim some corners rather than the 10 years of having De Gea rooted to his line.

Trex

I've taken time to watch a lot of all action videos of him. He's the guy that sit at the base of midfield and switch the ball from flank to flank, pass it into the feet of the center forward, pass it back to the defenders. Just general constantly get on the ball a lot and distribute. Out of possession he's a very capable ball winner, he's quite strong and uses his body very well to out muscle opponent. He plays in the same position as Casemiro but he's a better passer, probably not as good overall defensively but he has the same level physically.
If he comes here he'll be in direct competition with Casemiro mostly. They could play together but its something ETH would only do to see out games or vs the big boys. He looks good enough to really keep Casemiro on his toes, our options in midfield would be up there with the best in the league if he arrives.

OverratedOpinion

Like the look of him, should be brought in. However, I'm concerned about our aerial ability in midfield and the team in generally, especially if we sell Mctominay.
What a random thing to be worried about. McTominay barely played last season.

croadyman

I've taken time to watch a lot of all action videos of him. He's the guy that sit at the base of midfield and switch the ball from flank to flank, pass it into the feet of the center forward, pass it back to the defenders. Just general constantly get on the ball a lot and distribute. Out of possession he's a very capable ball winner, he's quite strong and uses his body very well to out muscle opponent. He plays in the same position as Casemiro but he's a better passer, probably not as good overall defensively but he has the same level physically.
If he comes here he'll be in direct competition with Casemiro mostly. They could play together but its something ETH would only do to see out games or vs the big boys. He looks good enough to really keep Casemiro on his toes, our options in midfield would be up there with the best in the league if he arrives.
Expecting to see some movement on midfield outgoings once these last two pre season fixtures are out of the way

Chief123

He looks a lot better quality than his price tag is suggesting. Does anyone know why fiorentina are happy with such a low fee?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Considering we got destroyed 7-0 there last season, yes it is. I don't see Mount as much of a defensive upgrade on Eriksen.

Amrabat has legs and can break up play. It should be us looking to counter in that fixture. Both can dispossess and ping balls into the channels so we can hurt them.
Liverpool are very good on the counter. They don't play counter attacking football, it's very rudimentary to look at football as two teams with two set styles of play and no nuance. Within a game we go on the attack and Liverpool have to defend, as does any team. What I'm saying though is Liverpool will look to hit us quickly on the break because it's a clear weakness for us that won't be sorted by the looks of things. They'revery good at transitioning quickly from back to front. In fact, it's been as evident an issue for us as ever in pre season. We've just got away with a lot due to quality of opposition.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Don't rely on those all action videos. If you're drawing from it that he's maybe as good as Casemiro then that says it all. Makes you wonder why he's only ever played for C level teams at best. He's not some hidden gem that has slipped through the net until the age of 27. He's likely just seen as a cheap option that can play as a backup.

Trex

Expecting to see some movement on midfield outgoings once these last two pre season fixtures are out of the way
Yeah definitely Fred and Donny should be leaving its just a matter of time. I think his arrival will make Mctominay surplus to requirements as the role he currently occupies as Casemiro deputy would no longer exist. If he choose to stay he may as well get a sit belt for seat on the bench.

BerryBerryShrew

The more we are linked with Amrabat, the less sense the Mount signing makes (to me). Amrabat isn't really a Casemiro replacement: he'd complement Cas perfectly (better than Mount would). And Bruno is a guaranteed starter. So Mount, our no. 7, is...an expensive rotation option? And we're still lacking a guy who can adequately fill in for Cas when he's AWOL?

In EtH we trust and all that, but I'm just a bit perplexed by this.

Trex

Don't rely on those all action videos. If you're drawing from it that he's maybe as good as Casemiro then that says it all. Makes you wonder why he's only ever played for C level teams at best. He's not some hidden gem that has slipped through the net until the age of 27. He's likely just seen as a cheap option that can play as a backup.
I didn't say he's as good as Casemiro though, he's obviously a better passer even stats back it up and he's obviously just as physically imposing. I can't say if his positional sense is on the same level though. Plus Casemiro gives you goals and 'key passes' from time to time.

FrankWhite

Not Frank White
What a random thing to be worried about. McTominay barely played last season.
You're missing the point. I want us to sign Amrabat, he'll be crucial member of the squad. However, Mctominay played in place of Casemiro and was inadequate in a lot ways apart from aerially. If you do a straight swap of Casemiro for Amrabat in our starting eleven, we'll be down to just Varane who's good in the air. If you don't believe it, check the fbref reports.

NLunited

At this point we really shouldn’t go for players that don’t improve us and are barely an upgrade on McTominay or Fred.

They should be ready to contribute and have the attributes for Ten Hag’s tactics.

I can’t think of a better player to add in the base of our midfield that is attainable, than Amrabat.

Woziak

He looks a lot better quality than his price tag is suggesting. Does anyone know why fiorentina are happy with such a low fee?
He’s got one year left on contract and will not sign a new one, we should be able to get this deal done for £25m max and he’s more than suitable for what we want as a club.

Status
Not open for further replies.