Sofyan Amrabat | signs for United on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
You mean if we weren’t totally broke like last Jan?
Are we totally broke? Or do we rightly recognise signing Amrabat as a long term solution isn’t going to be good enough to challenge? Loan for 12 months to cover Casemiro without any obligation - then get a younger, better player in 12 months plus Mainoo being a year older makes way more sense. We won’t want him next year.

Superunknown

Casemiro and Mainoo.
Casemiro for sure, as he is the best player we have in that position.

Mainoo is injured and has a grand total of 1 appearance in the league. He cannot and should not be expected to have a starring role this season at this stage in his career. We're talking substitute appearances in the league + maybe a few cup starts. Maybe.

McTominay is an absolute last resort for me in that position. We've even been looking to transfer him out of the club, which I don't think is necessarily the worst thing for him or the club.

So, in short, we've got one world class option, one youth prospect, and one player who doesn't really fit that position. If Casemiro is injured or suspended, we are fecked in that position. Not even a little bit fecked, but very, very fecked. Double-barrel screwed.

OrcaFat

I'd agree with you, accept we spunked £55m on Mason Mount, an man who would literally have been free in a year.
There were people saying we should just get Kane for free next year. Still, we shouldn’t be discouraged.

Imo we should get all our players for free. Can it really be that hard?

OrcaFat

It hasn't though. You just don't like the plan, based on two games with our first choice midfield, one of which we won. You being impatient with the plan doesn't change the fact that it is and will continue to be the plan.

However, that doesn't mean we couldn't do with better quality depth in that deeper midfield position, or the option to set up in different ways for different games or even in different phases of games. Both of which Amrabat would help with.
Well said.

Real Name

It hasn't though. You just don't like the plan, based on two games with our first choice midfield, one of which we won. You being impatient with the plan doesn't change the fact that it is and will continue to be the plan.

However, that doesn't mean we couldn't do with better quality depth in that deeper midfield position, or the option to set up in different ways for different games or even in different phases of games. Both of which Amrabat would help with.
I just love plan has gone through the window posts. Based on fek all.

Yanited__

We’ve made a 2m loan bid with a break clause in January meaning we can cancel it and only pay the 1m. I’m still not convinced we want him all that much…
I get that feeling as well. Lots of red flags around the signing if you think about it. The break clause as you mentioned, no other clubs being seriously in for him despite it being his last year and a 'good world cup', the low asking price/seems like Fiorentina not that bothered... Even the fact we've left it so late (although that probably is Utd's incompetency in the market)

Mickeza

still gets no respect
It’s quite funny that nobody called the 2m initial loan offer for Cucurella - a player who went for 60m last year and plays at a rival - derisory. Yet apparently it is insulting for Amrabat…someone who is desperate to leave and hasn’t been in a match day squad or trained with the first team in a month.

ShinjiNinja26

We have backed him very heavily. It was his choice to spend all the money on the players he picked. Few managers get to spend as much as he has in his two years here.
We have backed him but the reason we’re in this mess isn’t due to the money ETH has spent but the literal hundreds of millions we’ve burned through in the years before he arrived. Money that was spent on dross and big names looking for a last payday, then you’ve got the renewed contracts that were repeatedly handed out to players that should’ve been moved on but instead kept to “protect their value”, another one of Woodward and the Glazers bright ideas that’s still hampering us.

Remember the geese

Mainoo is 18 and injured.

If we do somehow sign Amrabat the season will develop with this system:

Casemiro (Mainoo) - Amrabat (Eriksen)
Bruno (Mount)
Doesnt matter how much Erik wants to play with two number 10s, its not going to work and he'll be forced to stop it less risk losing his job by November. At best it'll only be trotted out during home games against the Bournemouths and Sheffield Uniteds (and cost us points in the process).
Every chance this happens, but you would like to think that we signed our priority midfielder (Mount) to be a starter. Depends how married ten Hag is to his new system.

FerociousCorgis

It’s quite funny that nobody called the 2m initial loan offer for Cucurella - a player who went for 60m last year and plays at a rival - derisory. Yet apparently it is insulting for Amrabat…someone who is desperate to leave and hasn’t been in a match day squad or trained with the first team in a month.
plus only fair game for when italian teams love to come in for players with peanuts loan deals. Love seeing it hopefully returned back to them.

hobbers

Amrabat would be joining with a view to a permanent deal though whereas Cucurella is just emergency cover.

gaffs

Agree. Plus, Amrabat has a year left on his contract.

Ahmer Baig

The club has really made mess of this transfer. I wonder what Amrabat is feeling and thinking now?

hobbers

Would he? Do we know that?
Dont see why he wouldnt be. Given how he's been withdrawn from the Fiorentina squad for weeks and has turned down other offers, ETH must have been talking to him.

That doesnt happen for a short term loan target. Sabitzer was a loan for emergency cover whereas Amrabat is a system signing.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
There were people saying we should just get Kane for free next year. Still, we shouldn’t be discouraged.

Imo we should get all our players for free. Can it really be that hard?
Not saying we should have waited until next year... I'm saying £55m for a player that is out of contract in a year and that his club are looking to make money on because of FFP is an absolutely crazy amount to spend.

Remember the geese

Mainoo and McT are not viable. One is injured and a child and the other plays like a child and might as well be injured.
I don't rate McTominay, but even taking that into account, are we really going to sign Amrabat on loan because Mainoo is injured for a couple of months? Possibly so, but I'd have thought McTominay could hold the fort as Casemiro's deputy in the meantime.

Last edited:

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Yeah, I do feel for him. He's obviously got a list of preferential targets and the higher-ups have either not got those targets, or have paid way over the odds for them. It was the same pre-ETH and it'll be the same after him if these fecking parasites don't piss off.

Funny you mention Lukaku. I thought the club generally did well to move him on quickly and recoup a huge amount of that cost. We spent big on him and then transferred him when it became apparent he wasn't the right fit. I actually wouldn't mind if the club did more of that. 2 years is a good amount of time to judge whether a player is worth sticking with or moving on.
True, I’m glad we didn’t cling onto him another year like we seem to do with so many others. Him having a bit of resale value helped I guess, I’m just surprised we managed to get £68 million out of inter Milan.

dasty

This is Amrabat's last year of his contract. If they loan him to us for 2m then that is all they are getting for him leaving. Completely different scenario. Cucurella will still go back to Chelsea after his loan so Chelsea can still try to offload him for some money, Fiorentina literally can't do that with Amrabat because he would be out of contract by the time he finishes his loan here.

Reddevildans

We have backed him but the reason we’re in this mess isn’t due to the money ETH has spent but the literal hundreds of millions we’ve burned through in the years before he arrived. Money that was spent on dross and big names looking for a last payday, then you’ve got the renewed contracts that were repeatedly handed out to players that should’ve been moved on but instead kept to “protect their value”, another one of Woodward and the Glazers bright ideas that’s still hampering us.
He has squandered money as well. There are question marks over Hojlund and Mount and I would say Anthony has been a massive disappointment (even a flop). Even casameiro has papered over cracks and has been inconsistent. No doubt the upper management has been a shambles but the managers choices in the transfer market have been awful.

gajender

This is Amrabat's last year of his contract. If they loan him to us for 2m then that is all they are getting for him leaving. Completely different scenario. Cucurella will still go back to Chelsea after his loan so Chelsea can still try to offload him for some money, Fiorentina literally can't do that with Amrabat because he would be out of contract by the time he finishes his loan here.
They have an option for another year .

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Nope. They have an option to extend.

gaffs

Dont see why he wouldnt be. Given how he's been withdrawn from the Fiorentina squad for weeks and has turned down other offers, ETH must have been talking to him.

That doesnt happen for a short term loan target. Sabitzer was a loan for emergency cover whereas Amrabat is a system signing.
I would agree, but that wouldn't normally demand a loan fee, especially one as described in the James Horncastle tweet, earlier in this thread.
If United want a break clause in Jan, it wouldn't suggest a loan with mandatory buy.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Why are we so broke :lol: Having to scrape the barrel and offer teams minimum amounts.

Remember the geese

Casemiro for sure, as he is the best player we have in that position.

Mainoo is injured and has a grand total of 1 appearance in the league. He cannot and should not be expected to have a starring role this season at this stage in his career. We're talking substitute appearances in the league + maybe a few cup starts. Maybe.

McTominay is an absolute last resort for me in that position. We've even been looking to transfer him out of the club, which I don't think is necessarily the worst thing for him or the club.

So, in short, we've got one world class option, one youth prospect, and one player who doesn't really fit that position. If Casemiro is injured or suspended, we are fecked in that position. Not even a little bit fecked, but very, very fecked. Double-barrel screwed.
I actually think that Mainoo was/is in for a bigger role than you think. Not as a starter obviously, but as first reserve for Casemiro. He would effectively take McTominay's role, leaving the latter fairly redundant. However with McTominay staying and Mainoo currently injured, he is obviously going to play some part.

Status
Not open for further replies.