Sofyan Amrabat | signs for United on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superunknown

We should offer to pay the full transfer fee in installments over leap years. I reckon we could just about afford it then.

Looks like Fiorentina are in luck. 2024 is the next one!

Idxomer

Not saying we should have waited until next year... I'm saying £55m for a player that is out of contract in a year and that his club are looking to make money on because of FFP is an absolutely crazy amount to spend.
I think we should've waited till next year, another 8/10 hybrid wasn't a priority. There was also no reason to go for him as our first target this summer when it was clear he wasn't signing for anyone else. It made us look desperate when it shouldn't have been the case for a player out of contract in a year.

lex talionis

I’m on board with bringing in Amrabat, but I also have no problem deputizing Mainoo for the job.

If we’re ever going to step forward, we have to risks. Intelligent risks, of course, when we have a player who shows incredible potential we have to give that player a chance instead of closing the door on him.

OrcaFat

Not saying we should have waited until next year... I'm saying £55m for a player that is out of contract in a year and that his club are looking to make money on because of FFP is an absolutely crazy amount to spend.
Yeah but didn’t we spend ages trying to get him cheaper? I dunno. If he does well for us it won’t seem that bad. But my point was that it doesn’t always make much difference how long is left on the contract, you still have to get the deal done or it won’t happen or the player goes somewhere else.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Really our predicted line-up for the game against Arsenal is a perfect example of why Amrabat would be useful.

As is we have to decide between Eriksen and McTominay to play in midfield, both of whom come with very distinct weaknesses. If Amrabat was here, he'd be a more rounded option than either and an obvious choice ahead of both for this game.

And if it was Casemiro who was injured instead, he would also be the best replacement option in that case. And if everyone was fit, he'd give us the option of setting up with two defensive options in midfield for this tougher game, just as Arsenal opted for Rice and Partey in midfield when playing City. And even if he didn't start, he'd give us the option to change things tactically or shore up midfield by coming off the bench.

Options and depth are good, and he'd add both to the team.

cyberman

That bid was embarrassing, should've just not bothered at all than to send that. Fiorentina must be furious, we've basically spent all window unsettling a player only to offer them peanuts.
They just accepted a 17m bid. How higher than 2m can a years loan be?

Superunknown

I actually think that Mainoo was/is in for a bigger role than you think. Not as a starter obviously, but as first reserve for Casemiro. He would effectively take McTominay's role, leaving the latter fairly redundant. However with McTominay staying and Mainoo currently injured, he is obviously going to play some part.
He might have been, but shit things happen in football. He's injured and isn't an option right now. Clubs have to plan for possible scenarios and have options to try different formations or systems, as situations adapt, too.

We will seriously come undone if we rely on those three for that position for the rest of the season. This is also taking into account everyone being fit and in form. If Casemiro's form drops or if he has a lengthy injury, you're relying on McTominay and Mainoo for that spot with no further options. We're asking for trouble by not exploring more players for that position. I'd rather have a player in the squad who could fulfill that role than have a desperate looking bench.

Remember the geese

The whole reason we are desperate for a midfielder is because of your last sentence. Mctominay as the next available option is the problem.
Agreed. However, I assume while McTominay is still here he will be used as third in line once Mainoo is fit and not completely frozen out.

OrcaFat

I’m on board with bringing in Amrabat, but I also have no problem deputizing Mainoo for the job.

If we’re ever going to step forward, we have to risks. Intelligent risks, of course, when we have a player who shows incredible potential we have to give that player a chance instead of closing the door on him.
I’d like to see Mainoo come through but it’s going to be gradual. Say Casemiro gets injured just as Mainoo gets fit again, is it realistic to bring him straight in to play no6 in our system. Casemiro is struggling with it himself. And what happens if Case is unavailable before Mainoo gets fit?

I think we can bring a no6 in without closing the door on Mainoo. He’s still learning the game and was really more of a no8 than a no6 until very recently. He’s got the quality to push for a place before too long but it would be a big ask to lob him in now.

Jig1234

Woodward would’ve spent money we don’t have and somehow agreed a 40m deal on the last day of august. I’m not sure which is more harmful :lol:
Spend big to get back in the CL Once we are are back in.... no money, FFP etc.... clueless window, where we can't sell anyone... when we finish 6th or worse they will brief in the media...."we will have money to spend"

OrcaFat

I don't rate McTominay, but even taking that into account, are we really going to sign Amrabat on loan because Mainoo is injured for a couple of months? Possibly so, but I'd have thought McTominay could hold the fort as Casemiro's deputy in the meantime.
I think we probably want a better option in the squad going forward. With this loan business, we’re just trying to get Amrabat cheap and with minimal risk and (what a shock) Fiorentina said feck off. We’ll have to buy him if we want him.

Superunknown

I’d like to see Mainoo come through but it’s going to be gradual. Say Casemiro gets injured just as Mainoo gets fit again, is it realistic to bring him straight in to play no6 in our system. Casemiro is struggling with it himself. And what happens if Case is unavailable before Mainoo gets fit?

I think we can bring a no6 in without closing the door on Mainoo. He’s still learning the game and was really more of a no8 than a no6 until very recently. He’s got the quality to push for a place before too long but it would be a big ask to lob him in now.
It's also heavily unfair on Mainoo and won't be doing him any favours to be introduced too soon if he's not ready or if the team is not set up to help him. He's still learning the game. He is young and is going to make mistakes, and that can be very punishing and relentless at this level. Casemiro is a pro and it hasn't been smooth sailing for him this season.

Remember the geese

I think we probably want a better option in the squad going forward. With this loan business, we’re just trying to get Amrabat cheap and with minimal risk and (what a shock) Fiorentina said feck off. We’ll have to buy him if we want him.
Yeah, it's pretty clear that we view Amrabat as a bit of a stop-gap. I'll be interested to see what our long term plan is.

Remember the geese

He might have been, but shit things happen in football. He's injured and isn't an option right now. Clubs have to plan for possible scenarios and have options to try different formations or systems, as situations adapt, too.

We will seriously come undone if we rely on those three for that position for the rest of the season. This is also taking into account everyone being fit and in form. If Casemiro's form drops or if he has a lengthy injury, you're relying on McTominay and Mainoo for that spot with no further options. We're asking for trouble by not exploring more players for that position. I'd rather have a player in the squad who could fulfill that role than have a desperate looking bench.
I just think that 4 defensive midfielders is overkill. Of course there's every chance that one of Amrabat, Mainoo or McTominay can partner Casemiro in addition to merely deputising for him, but that would not appear to be the plan for the majority of our games.

lysglimt

Scout
Does anyone here actually know what the penalty is for breaking FFP the way United might do if we sign Amrabat ? Surely it cant be bad

windycityfan

Does anyone here actually know what the penalty is for breaking FFP the way United might do if we sign Amrabat ? Surely it cant be bad
Clearly that horse has left the barn. No matter how large or infinitesimal, we’re scraping the bowl, and about to cut it in half to get any clingy residue. fecking Glazers.

Artimities

What I cant grasp is apparently City have something over 50 FFP breaches against them, yet we are worrying about like 15 mil? I think the whole FFP thing is a joke. Saudi Arabia obviously doesnt have it in their league.

lysglimt

Scout
Clearly that horse has left the barn. No matter how large or infinitesimal, we’re scraping the bowl, and about to cut it in half to get any clingy residue. fecking Glazers.
That might be - but I doubt the penalty for going £15-20 million over the limit is that severe - so why not do like Chelsea and City and just sign them.

Plastic Evra

From fines to being excluded of European competitions (happened to Milan AC and Juventus, IIRC). I don't know if it includes transfer bans, that's maybe more a tool for national institutions in charge of auditing clubs.

windycityfan

That might be - but I doubt the penalty for going £15-20 million over the limit is that severe - so why not do like Chelsea and City and just sign them.
Marching orders. They won’t spend past the threshold set out, and that will probably be the case no matter Haaland, Pele or Batman would push to join.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
arnold out, if we cant sign amrabat then we need to have a serious look at how this club is being run and bring out the guillotines

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We have backed him but the reason we’re in this mess isn’t due to the money ETH has spent but the literal hundreds of millions we’ve burned through in the years before he arrived. Money that was spent on dross and big names looking for a last payday, then you’ve got the renewed contracts that were repeatedly handed out to players that should’ve been moved on but instead kept to “protect their value”, another one of Woodward and the Glazers bright ideas that’s still hampering us.
He still got somewhere near £400m to invest. It’s plenty enough to rebuild a team to a point where it should have some quality.

Crimson King

He still got somewhere near £400m to invest. It’s plenty enough to rebuild a team to a point where it should have some quality.
£400m isn't as much as you think in the current transfer market, especially if you're trying to sign players to mount a title challenge.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
£400m isn't as much as you think in the current transfer market, especially if you're trying to sign players to mount a title challenge.
It’s still a lot. Very few clubs can afford to give their managers £400m to spend in two years without any outgoing transfers, and on top of that allow them to pick their own targets with virtually no interference. It’s incorrect to claim ETH has not been backed.

Hughie77

Need to come in or he has to show more confidence in McTominay and so far he hasnt.

Redstain

People suggesting we break the FFP rules just to sign this guy. Come on.

That could lead to being kicked out of Europe.

You think the club are going to risk that?
Also is the quality and level of the player worth doing this. Can understand for Mbappe etc but for Amrabat totally unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.