Film Solo: A Star Wars Story

midnightmare

Can't say I'm at all excited about this. I don't think this movie can do anything but further affect the character that ANH originally created (remember, Han shot first!). He was not a noble guy or anything as such at the start. The movie here will undoubtedly try to build some backstory showing how he was always a guy with a heart of gold and not really a scoundrel, but to me, that will taint it all. Maybe it's just me. The BO will undoubtedly be set on fire as Han remains an enduring favourite, but I just can't get on board with this... I hope I'm proved wrong, but TPM onwards, no SW movie has done so yet...

Woodzy

Can't say I'm at all excited about this. I don't think this movie can do anything but further affect the character that ANH originally created (remember, Han shot first!). He was not a noble guy or anything as such at the start. The movie here will undoubtedly try to build some backstory showing how he was always a guy with a heart of gold and not really a scoundrel, but to me, that will taint it all. Maybe it's just me. The BO will undoubtedly be set on fire as Han remains an enduring favourite, but I just can't get on board with this... I hope I'm proved wrong, but TPM onwards, no SW movie has done so yet...
While I agree with that, I can't help be a little bit excited.

It looks like it's going to be the James Bond of the Star Wars world :lol:

bucky

Apparently they will do the opposite.

midnightmare

While I agree with that, I can't help be a little bit excited.
It looks like it's going to be the James Bond of the Star Wars world :lol:
Nobody can help being a bit excited! It's SW and for all I may crib, I've watched every damn thing they've come out with including the prequels! It's just that sinking feeling of "Damn, I'm going to watch this regardless, aren't I?" that swamps me. Oh well, let's hope they do a (finally) decent job of a movie for a change...

Apparently they will do the opposite.
Call me a cynic, but I'm convinced this is going to be yet another "let's create more stuff as merch" platform. Oh well, I read the links and shall entertain hope (and of course, will watch for Emilia anyway :lol:).

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Trailer was decent, but then most of the new Star Wars movies always tend to produce excellent trailers. Not too much hope for the movie itself...pointless and unnecessary at best, and a lot of the supposed production problems and minimal promotion suggest it won't be that great. Still, Donald Glover as Lando should be cool.

beedoubleyou

Nobody can help being a bit excited! It's SW and for all I may crib, I've watched every damn thing they've come out with including the prequels! It's just that sinking feeling of "Damn, I'm going to watch this regardless, aren't I?" that swamps me. Oh well, let's hope they do a (finally) decent job of a movie for a change...

Call me a cynic, but I'm convinced this is going to be yet another "let's create more stuff as merch" platform. Oh well, I read the links and shall entertain hope (and of course, will watch for Emilia anyway :lol:).
First point. Whatever your thoughts on the recent movies, the critical and box-office response has been overwhelming. While naysayers are more vocal on the Internet, by any measurement that counts, Lucasfilm have hit their first run of form since the 80s. It's harsh to say otherwise within that context, though all opinions are all valid.

Second point. What does that mean? Which Star Wars film didn't create merchandise? Every film which followed A New Hope was bankrolled on merchandise. The very nature of an exotic alien universe means there will be things that lend themselves to being merchandise. Regardless of the paranoia surrounding Disney's ownership of Lucasfilm or what people's opinions are of the movies, does anyone really think that the stories are driven by merchandise? A successful film will drive the merchandise, not the other way around.

Obliviously I have high hopes for this film, but I've also got incredibly low expectations. I think messing with a character like Han is extremely risky. Would really like an Obi Wan film as it would be great to see Ewan McGregor working with some direction, but the sooner they move away from the original trilogy, the better.

Sylar

Yeah, creating merch is not a bad idea. It would be stupid if they werent trying to create as much merch based on this as possible. They bought it for a shit load of money and need a return.
Movie looks like it could be decent backfill for him. Think it will be like Rogue one.

I am more interested though when they move to other areas of the universe which arent linked to the Skywalkers.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Looked fun, but I'm not getting hyped at all. Will likely watch when it comes to viaplay or netflix.

Last edited:

Hoof the ball

Bloody hell, Redcafe is literally the most depressing place on the internet to discuss movies and television.

It's either brilliant or it's the worst movie ever. There's absolutely no grey area for anything movie and tv related on the Cafe. :lol:

beedoubleyou

don't care about the new star wars movies at all, they're all shit so far tbh. In all fairness, Episode I to III weren't that good either, but I was a kid back then and all hyped, so I still love em. Great childhood memories. I don't feel any excitement watching the Disney ones. It lacks heart and flair, it's just another Disney moneymaker movie without any innovation at all. Kind of feels like the whole bunch of shitty superhero movies that get produced 123434 a year
Yet here you are, stinking out the place with your negative contribution complaining that the new films don't have the heart and flair of the plastic-coated prequels.

Sylar

I don't see any connection tbh

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tu_quoque

???
TBH, it is weird that you dont care. But you have to make a whole point of making sure others realise you dont care when it would be easier to just avoid this and discussion if you really didnt care.

Bloody hell, Redcafe is literally the most depressing place on the internet to discuss movies and television.

It's either brilliant or it's the worst movie ever. There's absolutely no grey area for anything movie and tv related on the Cafe. :lol:
You get that for pretty much anything even football performance discussions here

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Disney spent billions to acquire Star Wars. They will make as many spin offs as it takes to recoup that investment and then make a profit. Ewoks might have their own franchise at some stage.

I think the new films have been OK, the originals were average, and the Phantom Menace trilogy was probably the best of the bunch.

Sylar

Disney spent billions to acquire Star Wars. They will make as many spin offs as it takes to recoup that investment and then make a profit. Ewoks might have their own franchise at some stage.

I think the new films have been OK, the originals were average, and the Phantom Menace trilogy was probably the best of the bunch.
:eek::eek::eek:

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
Wasn't looking forward to it at all but it does look ok.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Booooorrriiing.
Well now I'm sold :smirk:
That's the typical reaction, but the originals have dated poorly. A product of their time, but terrible to watch today.
Nah there good, watched them with the fam recently. Agree that they are slightly overrated in comparison to the prequels tho. I liked episode 2 and 3, as much as the originals

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Feck canon or not, can somebody please do a Thrawn trilogy movie?
Matter of time, imo. In that spewing up rate with new movies, they'll soon run out of ideas. Thrawn will become obvious choice but hopefully they won't cramp it to just one movie.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Well now I'm sold :smirk:
Tbf, I would’ve been quite interested in a Lord & Miller version. Looking forward to it even. But they sacked them so they could make it less unique and more like all the other Star Wars films we’ll be getting once a year, every year, for ever and ever and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Boooorrrrriiiing!

Last edited:

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
They haven't aged well but the prequels are abominations.
It's a contest to decide which is least bad in many ways. I don't mind the newer versions, but find the older ones are unwatchable (aside from Alec Guinness who ironically despised the whole franchise).

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
No way I'm paying them for this. I don't care what his backstory is.

Sylar

Thats why you should get an unlimited card :P