Solskjær press conference vs Chelsea (N)

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
That response on the VAR narrative was 100% spot on.

I am, however, worried he might not rest players but then again he said he'll need to make changes before the Soton game and we started with the same team, so I hope it'll be similar to that one.

Also a bit concerning Shaw is not fit yet and I really hope we get him back for the LCFC game.

AFC NimbleThumb

Solskjaer reacts to claims United are lucky with VAR decisions
“How long have we got? I can sit here for hours now and try to talk about this. It looks like there’s a narrative, it looks like people want to influence whoever is making the decisions. I hear people talking about luck, that we’ve been lucky more than unlucky.

“If you look at the factual decisions - I don’t want to sound like a certain manager talking about facts - but if you’re offside you’re offside, that’s clear.

“Talking about lucky; the penalty we got against Tottenham in the last minute that was taken away from us; that might be two points for us. Talking about the red card [Oriol] Romeu should have had against us when he almost got Mason Greenwood crippled, that should’ve been a red card, maybe that would’ve helped us.

“Talking about Mark Noble when he should have been sent off against us when we lost at West Ham. Talking about the actual decision that is made that is against Man United but is overturned and corrected. So it’s actually me that should be complaining that we get decisions against us on the pitch by the on-pitch referee. “

There’s a narrative there but we have to focus on our games, we let other people talk about that. I don’t wanna go too much into it because I might be in trouble! I hope I’m not now!

“I’m pretty relaxed on these and refs are gonna be making objective decisions and are not gonna be influenced by any emotion in any way, so I don’t think they’ll read [what Lampard said].”
I’ve been one to roll my eyes at his conferences but what an answer! Don’t feed the trolls.

El Zoido

“How long have we got? I can sit here for hours now and try to talk about this. It looks like there’s a narrative, it looks like people want to influence whoever is making the decisions. I hear people talking about luck, that we’ve been lucky more than unlucky.

“If you look at the factual decisions - I don’t want to sound like a certain manager talking about facts - but if you’re offside you’re offside, that’s clear.

“Talking about lucky; the penalty we got against Tottenham in the last minute that was taken away from us; that might be two points for us. Talking about the red card [Oriol] Romeu should have had against us when he almost got Mason Greenwood crippled, that should’ve been a red card, maybe that would’ve helped us.

“Talking about Mark Noble when he should have been sent off against us when we lost at West Ham. Talking about the actual decision that is made that is against Man United but is overturned and corrected. So it’s actually me that should be complaining that we get decisions against us on the pitch by the on-pitch referee. “

There’s a narrative there but we have to focus on our games, we let other people talk about that. I don’t wanna go too much into it because I might be in trouble! I hope I’m not now!

“I’m pretty relaxed on these and refs are gonna be making objective decisions and are not gonna be influenced by any emotion in any way, so I don’t think they’ll read [what Lampard said].”
Brilliant response.

VAR has gone against us more than it’s gone for us this season, but a narrative is being built. They talk for hours about decisions gone in our favour but it’s crickets when it’s something that goes against us.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He could also have brought up that ridiculous goal Everton got at our place when DDG got elbowed in the face

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Isn't it a guaranteed fine and maybe even touchline ban to accuse a referee of bias?

How is Lampard doing that about the referee in charge of VAR any different?

Comet49

Lampard, think he’s spent too long with Mourhino. If a toe doesn’t make you off side, what does, maybe a foot with a visible gap?

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

Ole speaking facts.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Isn't it a guaranteed fine and maybe even touchline ban to accuse a referee of bias?

How is Lampard doing that about the referee in charge of VAR any different?
Well that would add a bit of fuel to the fire, we own the football authorities. Fine the lot of them. The media have started all this with their examination of all our penalties etc. Yet they ignore decisions we should have got, especially sending offs. Every Tom, Dick and Harry can kick our players from here to eternity it seems.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Hits back at Jose, Frank and takes a swipe at Rafa in one fell swoop - Nice!

DRM

Good lord, that response gave me a hard on!!! Well done Ole

United58

If you look at the factual decisions - I don’t want to sound like a certain manager talking about facts - but if you’re offside you’re offside, that’s clear.
:lol::lol::lol:

When's the knighthood? Love Ole

Djemba-Djemba

He's exactly right to point out though that if VAR keeps "saving us" as the narrative seems to be now, doesn't that just mean we keep getting shitty decisions from the on field ref and assistants that need to be corrected?

It's a load of bollocks, we get tons and tons of debate over the penalty situations against Palace and Villa but the Southampton player tries to break Masons ankle well after the ball is gone and it's not even deemed a foul and nothing gets said.

Ole is sounding more and more like Utd manager.

Last edited:

Kostov

He forgot about that Everton goal at OT, it was a blatant foul of DDG they reviewed it and let it count. I am sure there are others too.

Smores

It's a great answer but bias aside we definitely have been lucky in VAR decisions this season. I don't suspect many will admit that and see some have convinced themselves it's the reverse, most fans seem to think that about their club oddly enough.

Shiva87

It's a great answer but bias aside we definitely have been lucky in VAR decisions this season. I don't suspect many will admit that and see some have convinced themselves it's the reverse, most fans seem to think that about their club oddly enough.
Genuinely that's not true. We have got a few in our favour, but a number of others against us - like any other team.

We are no different from other clubs in that sense. In general - VAR needs to be implemented better. Frank is bringing this up because he doesn't want a penalty decision against him, and is putting some pressure on the refs. It's something he will be super worried about given the pace we have in and around the box, and the lack of discipline of his own CBs.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
That was a brilliant response indeed. Got his point across, didn't risk a fine and definitely let it known he won't be bullied in the press.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
He could also have brought up that ridiculous goal Everton got at our place when DDG got elbowed in the face
Or Sheffield United equaliser hits the top of his arm. Deli Ali goal brushes his arm like the Bailly pen but lower on the arm also. Penalty against City on Fred, blatant, not given on review.

Pathetic the narrative when a subjective call goes our way....the offside is just offside anyway. Will be given 100% of the time

RedDevilRoshi

Well fecking said Ole! :devil:

MileStolar

He never gives much out to the press / public.

He admitted as much in his recent interview that if someone isn't performing he slowly & quietly phases them out.
Interesting how at around 15th minute he speaks about how Ferguson gave him bollocking for that last ditch tackle and sending off vs Newcastle. I remember watching video of that event and seeing Ole saying to a teammate "I had to" as he was getting off the field.

I for certain liked Ole for that act and that attitude, twas legendary feat to run all the way back and prevent a goal in such a fashion, and I think that's a thing mourinho would make a textbook of about what kind of sacrifice he wants from his players, but not SAF, the old man wanted noble and fair win, not at all cost and rather get a loss if you've not been better than win in such manner. No wonder he was knighted.

I like how Ole follows the same ideology and wants to instill in our players that "win fair" mentality. I wouldn't like scum in our team, like fecking David Luiz smiling while acting hurt or Suarez biting or pinching people.

Redfrog

Lampard said 10 times
He had a bit of moan and a whinge about VAR and us

Lampard said 10 times he is not worried here. Just hope he instills that kind of confidence to his players for sunday ;) .

El Zoido

On the whole, we really haven't. We've been lucky in some decisions, unlucky in others.

Web of Bissaka

Early team news
“Luke will be out. I can’t see him recovering. Brandon will hopefully be okay, he’ll try to join in training today with his eye. We’ll see if he can see the ball when he comes in! He should be fine.”

I think he should wear an eye protector in games from now on.

Pirate "One-eyed B-Will"

He never gives much out to the press / public.

He admitted as much in his recent interview that if someone isn't performing he slowly & quietly phases them out.

When was that filmed? When he talks about buying players and asking Rashford what they are like in the national team I could swear he was about to say Sancho's name.

Keefy18

When was that filmed? When he talks about buying players and asking Rashford what they are like in the national team I could swear he was about to say Sancho's name.
Within the last week.

Posted on the 15th, just 3 days ago.

Smores

On the whole, we really haven't. We've been lucky in some decisions, unlucky in others.
Being unlucky in some and lucky in others is a given but that doesn't mean it's all balanced neatly across the season and teams. Some have seasons where fortune shines and we're one of a few teams this season in my view anyway. Largely subjective but our match day threads think everything's a pen and every opponent tackle a red.

It does come with skillful and pacey front players that you get more opportunity for soft decisions. It's a good sign in my view and it shows our progress in a way.

Strelok

Brilliant :devil:

Genuinely that's not true. We have got a few in our favour, but a number of others against us - like any other team.

We are no different from other clubs in that sense. In general - VAR needs to be implemented better. Frank is bringing this up because he doesn't want a penalty decision against him, and is putting some pressure on the refs. It's something he will be super worried about given the pace we have in and around the box, and the lack of discipline of his own CBs.
Spot on.

Hark Muse

Jesse Lingard has key role to play
“Jesse’s a part of the club and has worked really hard and deserves his chance to come back in, we know his qualities, we know he has got different qualities to other players and he knows we value him.”
Yeah, we value him at about £12-15m!

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
It's a great answer and bias aside, having more VAR calls go in our favour just means the refs are making more mistakes that harm our chances.

It's all well and good saying VAR helped us but you can also look at it differently. VAR don't always decide to review crucial bad calls (see Romeu) and then we end up with the ref's decision and VAR overrules throughout the season show us is often incorrect when it concerns us.

always_hoping

And Solskjaer has won it!

Great reply which should make the haters and idiots to sit down and shut up.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Being unlucky in some and lucky in others is a given but that doesn't mean it's all balanced neatly across the season and teams. Some have seasons where fortune shines and we're one of a few teams this season in my view anyway. Largely subjective but our match day threads think everything's a pen and every opponent tackle a red.

It does come with skillful and pacey front players that you get more opportunity for soft decisions. It's a good sign in my view and it shows our progress in a way.
If you mean that VAR have given more decisions our way, that just means that the on-the-field referees are making more mistakes against us and the VAR are having to correct that.

If you mean that VAR are giving more 'wrong' decisions our way, that's very debatable. I admit two of our penalties have been wrong calls (James in the 2-1 vs Norwich and Bruno in the 3-0 against Villa), but I don't remember any other wrong decisions that went our way. Meanwhile there has been at least one goal wrongly allowed to stand against us (Everton foul on DDG), at least one blatant penalty we should have got (Fred vs City), as well as a number of red cards that the opposition should have received. I'm not necessarily saying the bad has outweighed the good (there may have been a couple going our way that I'm forgetting) but I'd say it's at least balanced.

SinNombre

LiVARPool is the kings among the refs. Why is the media not calling them out?
Most of the media is Liverpool supporting.

During our 20 year period of domination, both print and tv media kept adding Liverpool pundits to spice up their coverage.

The only ex-United players who got a media gig were those who had a falling out with Fergie like Keane or Ince, and who could be trusted to throw in some bitterness at United. All the others were forced to look for post-retirement football jobs in coaching or managing.

Now that we have sucked by our standards for 7 years, we have seen the likes of Rio and Scholes get media jobs.

I would rather have Liverpool keep the media crown and for us to keep the on-pitch one.

jlecesne

Frank is still moaning because of loss back in February when they had 3 VAR's go against them.

I think its fair to be critical of VAR because it has been so inconsistent. But to suggest that VAR has been biased in favor of United is preposterous and he should be fined.

Embargoed quotes

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
On trophies
"Yes of course, for any player or any team to lift the first trophy is a great start and a great experience. We've come a long way since the start of the season and to be able to get to the final would be fantastic."

"Well first of all we need to get to the final to have a chance to lift the trophy so definitely we're focused on this semi-final now against a good Chelsea team. We believe that this team that we're building will win trophies and there's no better way to kick it off than by getting an FA Cup trophy."

"Yes. A word, you said there, responsibility... I think it's our duty and our responsibility as Man United players and staff to go for trophies. As I've said here, I've never seen anyone celebrate a win or a trophy more than our gaffer. Sir Alex was vital. I still remember him coming to watch my first game as a reserve-team manager in the Lancashire Senior Cup against Liverpool, that was my first game, and knocking on my door at half-time because we were 1-0 down. He wanted to win, we needed to win that game, and we won it in the end. To turn around and see his smile after that... So that is a big, big thing for our club and for our players to get used to winning, in the habit of winning."

"Well when you're at Man United, yes, you need to win trophies. That's what we've done over the history, that's our aim and we want to win trophies playing the right way. So for me, where do you start? Do you start with the way of football and the culture? That's where we've come a long way, I feel, and now we need to back it up with trophies."

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
On Matic
"Matic has got so much experience and confidence and he is vital for us in the respect that he's been around the block, he's won trophies, he's calm, composed, he's a leader so in some games, a few games actually when he's been on the bench, he's had to come on and just grab the players by the neck and calm them down or gee them up. Nemanja's been fantastic since he's come back into the team."