Solskjær press conference vs Crystal Palace (H)

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I find it alright. I don’t know what he was asked but what I got from the several quotes is he basically wanted to get across:

1. We already have good players so the pool of players who can really improve us is small + the players in that small pool are usually that good that the price is high and selling club don’t want to sell them.

2. By mentioning the above as well as Bruno, VdB, Pogba being fit, etc. he sends out the message to all those players that they are special and he values them (compare that to for example Moyes’ quotes about needing 6-7 players to improve United or you can also compare it to many of Mourinho’s quotes. Players don’t get a moral boost from such negative messages.)

3. He is also having a little dig at Glazers/Woodward by saying that he and his players can only try to do as good as they can in areas which they can control (training, fitness, etc.), but transfers (things which cost money) are out of their hand and the owners’ responsibility

Also these quotes came one day before the first game of our season, Ole can’t be setting a negative mood or sending negative messages among his team.

That’s at least how I see it. A direct attack at the owners isn’t going to help anyone.
Yeah, option #3 is quite plausible. That's why I asked if he's trolling (the board). As I've said, I can't see us not strengthening further in the next couple of weeks.

NK86

All he needed to say was, "We will try to get in the top 4 at best as things stand" and the fire would have been well and truly lit under the Glazers and Woodward. He wouldn't have to call anyone out and the word would have been easily sent across.

With that comment, even the sponsors would take notice.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
All he needed to say was, "We will try to get in the top 4 at best as things stand" and the fire would have been well and truly lit under the Glazers and Woodward. He wouldn't have to call anyone out and the word would have been easily sent across.

With that comment, even the sponsors would take notice.
And with one sentence trashed the confidence of his squad ahead of starting a new season

Withnail

And with one sentence trashed the confidence of his squad ahead of starting a new season
It really is baffling that the affect public comments could have on the squad is never taken into account in these demands for Ole to put pressure on the board.

It's as if we Mourinho was never here.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
What, why wouldn't this team of dedicated career football players be motivated that the manager goes out in public and says they are not good enough to get the job done?

Personally I think Ole needs to start calling out Luke Shaw in particular by name after every game we don't win. It'd be a nice tradition following Mourinho

MrBest

What utter drivel. Welcome to my block list. All the best with your ivory tower complex.... p.s. From a qualified professional.
Never been so happy to be put on a block list! No more senseless responses.

NK86

Shit players playing in key positions
And that's what was supposed to be conveyed via the press. Just because we want to coddle these shite players, the manager is getting fecked over by a leeching board.

Cassidy

And that's what was supposed to be conveyed via the press. Just because we want to coddle these shite players, the manager is getting fecked over by a leeching board.
No it doesn't, it needs to be conveyed to the board. The press can't sign players for us

Tarrou

i like the idea one off-hand comment from Ole is gonna get a billion pound business to change it's budget it meticulously planned months ago

"Joel, it's Ed again... we've got a bit of a problem. Ole's just said mean things about us in the pre-match for the Palace game. Can you fire up the cash-flow projection in google sheets we need to find an extra £50m from somewhere.".

Dinghy

Going on about how important it is to get a good start in the presser, then he starts two championship level-players (at best) on the right, that's never played a competitive game together. Wtf was he thinking?

NK86

No it doesn't, it needs to be conveyed to the board. The press can't sign players for us
You think Ole hasn't done that already or the likes of Jose and LvG didn't do so before. You talk as if Ole is not saying anything to the Board. He has and they have done shite.

So it's time to pressure them outside the boardroom meetings. Many, many top managers do it to get their owners to spend. Nothing wrong with it. And players aren't fools to not realize where they stand.

NK86

i like the idea one off-hand comment from Ole is gonna get a billion pound business to change it's budget it meticulously planned months ago

"Joel, it's Ed again... we've got a bit of a problem. Ole's just said mean things about us in the pre-match for the Palace game. Can you fire up the cash-flow projection in google sheets we need to find an extra £50m from somewhere.".
No but it surely will get the fans behind the manager more than the crap lines he feeds.

Unless you think fan discontent has zero meaning for the club. In which case, Ole can say whatever he wants and the Glazers won't ever be concerned.

Cassidy

You think Ole hasn't done that already or the likes of Jose and LvG didn't do so before. You talk as if Ole is not saying anything to the Board. He has and they have done shite.

So it's time to pressure them outside the boardroom meetings. Many, many top managers do it to get their owners to spend. Nothing wrong with it. And players aren't fools to not realize where they stand.
Of course he has, he would also know that Jose was sacked due to going after the board in the press. Which also didn't help anything for that season with the dressing room

NK86

Of course he has, he would also know that Jose was sacked due to going after the board in the press.
There is a massive difference between doing a Jose and pressuring the board smartly. It's not either Jose or sucking up to the Board in pressers.

Cassidy

There is a massive difference between doing a Jose and pressuring the board smartly. It's not either Jose or sucking up to the Board in pressers.
You obviously didn't watch the presser as Ole agreed with the fans on the fact the squad needs more quality.

Tarrou

No but it surely will get the fans behind the manager more than the crap lines he feeds.

Unless you think fan discontent has zero meaning for the club. In which case, Ole can say whatever he wants and the Glazers won't ever be concerned.
No I don't think that. Most reasonable fans know it would be counterproductive and back-fire like it did with Mourinho.

We don't even need to speculate. Jose tried it and it was a complete disaster.