Solskjær press conference vs Crystal Palace (H)

Sambob

What do you want from a presser though. Its a media obligation and I am sure Ole would prefer to be on the training pitch with the team rather than taking the same shit questions week in week out.

' What transfers are you working on Ole?'

'I don't comment on other clubs or there players'

Wash rinse repeat x infinity
He could do what every other manager has done, use the platform to put some pressure on the move 'Ive always said I liked X player, their skills are this that and the other, I cant comment on a move they are X teams player' it pressures the board, it pressures the execs. I like him being pleasant, I dont want an arsehat but the way he is SO placid with the management above him is embarrassing and it will eventually see him just chucked under the bus when we dont bring the players in and we struggle in the league.

Squeaky Bumtime

He could do what every other manager has done, use the platform to put some pressure on the move 'Ive always said I liked X player, their skills are this that and the other, I cant comment on a move they are X teams player' it pressures the board, it pressures the execs. I like him being pleasant, I dont want an arsehat but the way he is SO placid with the management above him is embarrassing and it will eventually see him just chucked under the bus when we dont bring the players in and we struggle in the league.
Are you placid with your boss at work?

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Or, he's just doing it in a grown up way. Nobody can read / listen to, what he said there and not interpret it as a clear message to the club that more players are needed. Also, I always find it unclassy when managers comment about specific players who are contracted to other clubs. Ole doesn't do it until after a player has been confirmed. Nothing wrong in that at all and not embarrassing unlike quite a few of our entitled fans

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
But that's entirely true though is it. Not every manager goes out in the press to agitate their respective board and use the presser as a pitch for more players. In fact I can only think of a few; Mourhinio and Conte who are both agitators.

I really don't understand the need or the desire from some fans to see Ole start getting spiky with the board publicly. Clearly we as fans are frustrated with the Glazers but to expect Ole to start calling them out is naive at best.

Not as a rule no, if my boss at work is doing something that is bad for the company in my opinion then I say so, thats what my job is.
And would you do that publicly in front of all your colleagues and subordinates. In my business it is actively encouraged to challenge management. There is a right way to do it and also a right place

Sambob

Or, he's just doing it in a grown up way. Nobody can read / listen to, what he said there and not interpret it as a clear message to the club that more players are needed. Also, I always find it unclassy when managers comment about specific players who are contracted to other clubs. Ole doesn't do it until after a player has been confirmed. Nothing wrong in that at all and not embarrassing unlike quite a few of our entitled fans
Thats one way of looking at it, although I find it very interesting that historically for us the managers that have been a bit bullish in the press with signing got a lot of money from the board and the ones that werent didnt, its also happening at other clubs with other managers.

I love Ole as a manager, he has been the clubs best manager since Fergie, but you cant say that he has had an easy time with transfer targets, he has had it harder than any manager since Fergie....

Either way, it was a bad presser.

snowkarl

Ask yourselves honestly: are you being objective in your judgement of OGS/Greenwood/Southgate in this situation or are you blinded by the fact that you want Greenwood to do well, be shielded from all and any criticism, and so on?

It's not unusual for huge up and comers like Mason to get interviewed on their first call ups. Ainsley Maitland Niles was also interviewed for some length because he got his first call up.

It's unfortunate that his already booked press conference involved the Maguire scandal. But whose fault is that - Southgate's or Maguire's?

It would have been worse if they'd cancelled it because of it.

Reminds me of Sir Alex calling every player “the boy”.
That's clearly why he does it. Sounds a bit silly for me personally though, since he says it twelve times a minute. It's like a catch phrase now.

Sambob

Sure man, I believe you.
Im a shareholder and manage the developer department at a software development company, my boss is the owner and is non-technical, you couldnt have picked a worse example. Im not arsed if you believe me or not either, but you did ask.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Good replies by OGS, but sadly we didn’t know anything concrete about transfers and tomorrow’s match squad
It would be a foolish manager to give details about the club's transfer activities and the lineups in a pre-match presser.

Sambob

Ask yourselves honestly: are you being objective in your judgement of OGS/Greenwood/Southgate in this situation or are you blinded by the fact that you want Greenwood to do well, be shielded from all and any criticism, and so on?

It's not unusual for huge up and comers like Mason to get interviewed on their first call ups. Ainsley Maitland Niles was also interviewed for some length because he got his first call up.

It's unfortunate that his already booked press conference involved the Maguire scandal. But whose fault is that - Southgate's or Maguire's?

It would have been worse if they'd cancelled it because of it.

That's clearly why he does it. Sounds a bit silly for me personally though, since he says it twelve times a minute. It's like a catch phrase now.
Completely agree with this, the problem is not that he was in the press, its what he was in the press for. I was very surprised when the story came out because he seems like a relatively quiet lad

Squeaky Bumtime

Im a shareholder and manage the developer department at a software development company, my boss is the owner and is non-technical, you couldnt have picked a worse example. Im not arsed if you believe me or not either, but you did ask.
Either way it's easy to say what Ole should or shouldn't say. And it's not really comparable. As @GaryLifo said you can't expect him to name other clubs players. Or put a pressure in a presser instead of behind doors.

Mainoldo

Southgate just threw him out of the team, right?
Made him do a presser when he does zero press for United then in my opinion took no care in making sure he was looked after like maybe not sharing a room with your also young and immature mate from Manchester. Put them both with an elder, just to break them in first.

CG1010

Oh god already words like "embarrassment" thrown around for Ole's perfectly apt press conference :lol:

Sambob

Either way it's easy to say what Ole should or shouldn't say. And it's not really comparable. As @GaryLifo said you can't expect him to name other clubs players. Or put a pressure in a presser instead of behind doors.
Ok last one on this because I dont want to come across as being contrarian, and its getting off topic.

Its not a stretch to say that the majority of people looked at Ole as a bit of an easy target for the board and specifically Ed Woodward. He has done a great job of coming in, managing expectations and most importantly getting results through a series of improvements across the board. The issue is that at some point he needs to break that association of being 'the boards lapdog', he needs to do that because its for the good of his career and therefor the club. Fergie was top dog, but had a great rapport with the chairman, it meant he was unquestioned in the player's eyes and was able to use his influence to get the right signings in when we needed them pretty much most of the time.

At the minute I think Ole is absolutely the right guy for the job but I dont think he will be around for long. He has managed to keep his job at times when people were asking for him to go largely because of his role of protecting the board and he has played that very well but its a double edged sword, and its pressers like this one, at the start of the season with two weeks left in the window where his naivety comes through and I think it holds him back.

MrBest

Good comments from Ole but deep down he looks frustrated with everything. It has been an awful summer, limited rest, internationals and Maguire and Greenwood in the press for wrong reasons. It is also the first time I can really see that he is not happy with this bunch of players and he wants more quality.

Ole is not the man for me to take us forward but I truly believe he needs to be backed by the club. We got lucky with DVB because of VDS and our connections. I do not count that as quick business, it just worked out. If we won't pay 108m and Dortmund will not budge (why should they?) then we really should gave aquired a second option by now. We barely have quality in depth in the sqaud, games will come thick and fast and I can see Ole only trusting 12 to 14 players. We will be shattered by Christmas and by then, 5 games in 15 days. The board need to back Ole or they are just putting him out if a job in 12 months.

Matriac

So would you raise issues with your boss to the media? Or bring it up in a meeting/shareholder assembly?

snowkarl

Completely agree with this, the problem is not that he was in the press, its what he was in the press for. I was very surprised when the story came out because he seems like a relatively quiet lad
Clearly not the case though. Can't remember one of our players got this much negative press in such a short space of time.

Southgate just threw him out of the team, right?
Do you really think they could have kept them in the team? He and Foden broke quarantine rules during a global pandemic, risking the entire game. If they'd been allowed to stay, even if we ignore the risk of disease spread and why it'd never happen, what kind of message would that send to the rest of the squad? Break the rules and no consequences!

Look at what happened at this club during the summer. Scandal after scandal. Our most quiet, seemingly well behaved players like AWB and Maguire going off to Arabia against club advice and getting into scraps with police in Greece. No consequences whatsoever. You really think Ferguson would have just said "aaalright it's fine BOYS it's Southgate's fault!"?
The players need to respect the rules regardless of their status and talent, a lesson hard learned by the French FA, resulting in a mutiny by players due to a lack of respect for hierarchy and rules. They took immediate steps to immediately exclude anyone who didn't fully commit to the team and its rules and to no one's surprise, they won the world cup!

Southgate made him do a presser answering questions about Maguire, hes an absolute idiot
England player making his debut joins press conference. Literally nothing wrong with this. The fact that a pre planned press conference was slightly derailed by the actions of another player is seriously not the FA's fault. Were they supposed to cancel the press conference when the Maguire news broke because it might inconvenience Manchester United?

I just don't understand why it's an issue he was asked about Maguire either. It's a total non issue. He's got media training.

Blame Maguire, no one else.

Sambob

So would you raise issues with your boss to the media? Or bring it up in a meeting/shareholder assembly?
Its not really as applicable to my job as it is to Ole's job. In Ole's situation if he doesnt get the players he desperately needs, which is the current situation with two weeks left to sign players, then its a reasonable possibility it could lead to the right man not being in the job any more at the end of the season. Who does that benefit?

Squeaky Bumtime

Ok last one on this because I dont want to come across as being contrarian, and its getting off topic.

Its not a stretch to say that the majority of people looked at Ole as a bit of an easy target for the board and specifically Ed Woodward. He has done a great job of coming in, managing expectations and most importantly getting results through a series of improvements across the board. The issue is that at some point he needs to break that association of being 'the boards lapdog', he needs to do that because its for the good of his career and therefor the club. Fergie was top dog, but had a great rapport with the chairman, it meant he was unquestioned in the player's eyes and was able to use his influence to get the right signings in when we needed them pretty much most of the time.

At the minute I think Ole is absolutely the right guy for the job but I dont think he will be around for long. He has managed to keep his job at times when people were asking for him to go largely because of his role of protecting the board and he has played that very well but its a double edged sword, and its pressers like this one, at the start of the season with two weeks left in the window where his naivety comes through and I think it holds him back.
You think he's naive cause he hasn't put pressure on the board in the presser, I think you're wrong. He shouldn't put the dirty laundry out for everyone to see. He's been put to dry by the board, true and I don't think he'll be happy about it. But he can manage all that without putting it in the air in the presser.

simmee

Its not really as applicable to my job as it is to Ole's job. In Ole's situation if he doesnt get the players he desperately needs, which is the current situation with two weeks left to sign players, then its a reasonable possibility it could lead to the right man not being in the job any more at the end of the season. Who does that benefit?
But he did mention that we are working on transfers which puts a bit of pressure on the club to deliver. He of course doesn't want to promise that we'll sign Sancho and put his own name on the line when he's not the decision-maker.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Feck the FA and feck Southgate, the less United players going away with England the better.
It was a decent press conference, at least Ole has confirmed we are still in for some players, whoever they are.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
In terms of the issues going on at the club it was typical steady as she goes stuff from Ole, but I very much enjoyed the barbs for Southgate and the England set up regarding Mason. Fergie took pleasure in shitting on them at every opportunity and Ole has clearly learned from the best.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Clearly not the case though. Can't remember one of our players got this much negative press in such a short space of time.

Do you really think they could have kept them in the team? He and Foden broke quarantine rules during a global pandemic, risking the entire game. If they'd been allowed to stay, even if we ignore the risk of disease spread and why it'd never happen, what kind of message would that send to the rest of the squad? Break the rules and no consequences!

Look at what happened at this club during the summer. Scandal after scandal. Our most quiet, seemingly well behaved players like AWB and Maguire going off to Arabia against club advice and getting into scraps with police in Greece. No consequences whatsoever. You really think Ferguson would have just said "aaalright it's fine BOYS it's Southgate's fault!"?
The players need to respect the rules regardless of their status and talent, a lesson hard learned by the French FA, resulting in a mutiny by players due to a lack of respect for hierarchy and rules. They took immediate steps to immediately exclude anyone who didn't fully commit to the team and its rules and to no one's surprise, they won the world cup!

England player making his debut joins press conference. Literally nothing wrong with this. The fact that a pre planned press conference was slightly derailed by the actions of another player is seriously not the FA's fault. Were they supposed to cancel the press conference when the Maguire news broke because it might inconvenience Manchester United?

I just don't understand why it's an issue he was asked about Maguire either. It's a total non issue. He's got media training.

Blame Maguire, no one else.
Everything is wrong with an 18 year old doing a presser with England when his club never let him do one. Especially when England knew the issues around with Maguire. At the very least those questions should have been banned or a more experienced played should have been there

Nickelodeon

Ole can be a good diplomat. Rarely have I seen him say anything controversial in a press conference yet he seems confident and assured.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I've seen the whole presser.

Ole gave some awkward answers, in some cases barely answering it at all.

He addressed Greenwood well enough. He didn't properly answer a very good question "last year was top 4, what are you looking to achieve now in the process". He could have worded it better than he did.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Really good press conference that from Ole.

He really seems to like Donny, think he will start next to Pogba in CM.

TheGame

How did you get that from what I said?

It was a pointless presser, the only thing of substance was him mentioning Mason and I think that the standpoint he took was fine but basically youve got an 18 year old role model hiring sex workers during a deadly pandemic and you are saying he needs management....is he saying its Southgate's fault then, the two games he was with England made him make bad choices? Its pretty much saying Ole/the club didnt manage him well in terms of his decision making as a person, and that he has no control over whether his players go off to things that are not good for them.

Presumably you liked the presser then?
I took it you wanted to him to state something about transfers or give specific details but you have said that wasn’t the case.

I like the way he conducts himself but you rarely find anything specific out as managers are reluctant to give details away these days.

Dinghy

Good answers, but a lot of stuttering and he seemed uncomfortable, especially with the questions regarding Greenwood and Maguire.

Cole9

I'm all for managers protecting their players, but come on. There's a global pandemic and Greenwood chose to do what he did and he's old enough to know better. He's an adult. It was his fault and nobody else's.