Solskjær press conference vs dippers (A)

Lynty

Did Ole seriously say we were ready to offer Young a 2 year deal?
I took it as we were ready to "offer him the opportunity to accept 2 year contract elsewhere as he's been been a good servant, captain, won trophies, league cups..."

May be wrong though.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
10:10
Klopp says United 'only defend'
I don’t think it’s an accusation, take it as a compliment we’ve defended so well, when the opposition manager is frustrated that’s a good sign our boys have done well, I think we’ve been closest to winning both games so I don’t know what the problem has been.
Good answer. We were less than ten minutes from winning the game at OT so Klopp can suck our collective balls

el3mel

10:12
Long-term future of striking options
We can see them three, got them on long contracts, and can see them three developing into a very exciting front three.
I was here with Ronaldo, Tevez, Rooney that’s what we want as supporters and manager, express yourselves, put the fear to their defenders, but we’ve got Daniel James here as well so I am very excited for it.
Greenwood favorite position is a striker and with Rashford playing as left forward I don't get how how him and Martial can exist together in the same lineup few years from now on. It might be OK now to play Greenwood on the flank but at one point he will have to be moved again to his natural position surely.

Ban

Maybe. I'm not against giving him the armband currently anyway, as there are no more options available. Not like we have Keane or Evra around. Though maybe whenever we invest more in the squad and get more senior players, we might then revise such decision.
Of course.

TrustInOle

Greenwood favorite position is a striker and with Rashford playing as left forward I don't get how how him and Martial can exist together in the same lineup few years from now on. It might be OK now to play Greenwood on the flank but at one point he will have to be moved again to his natural position surely.
If you watch closely, you can see the aim for how he wants the front 3 to perform. Very similar in fact to that of liverpool. Martial is the focus with the intention of him dropping into the 10 position and pick the ball up at his feet and turn. Evident from the pinged forward passing we seem to be attempting this season towards him.

Giving his close control and quick turn, this gives Rashford and Greenwood the chance to make breaks into space almost acting as a wide-split front 2. I feel we will see much more of this once Pogba is back in the team and more creativity (Bruno) is added.

In all honesty this seems the best solution and isnt outside the realms of possibility that they will each perform in these roles with the service from Tony, Paul and Bruno. Exciting times ahead.

Dr. StrangeHate

Unfortunately he didn't say anything that controversial so I can't be outraged. Hopefully someone can help with that.

el3mel

If you watch closely, you can see the aim for how he wants the front 3 to perform. Very similar in fact to that of liverpool. Martial is the focus with the intention of him dropping into the 10 position and pick the ball up at his feet and turn. Evident from the pinged forward passing we seem to be attempting this season towards him.

Giving his close control and quick turn, this gives Rashford and Greenwood the chance to make breaks into space almost acting as a wide-split front 2. I feel we will see much more of this once Pogba is back in the team and more creativity (Bruno) is added.

In all honesty this seems the best solution and isnt outside the realms of possibility that they will each perform in these roles with the service from Tony, Paul and Bruno. Exciting times ahead.
Both Salah and Mane were never strikers in general and were always inside forwards from the sides while Greenwood is a clear number 9 for me. Another point is I don't actually see Martial having a similar qualities as Firmino in assisting the play. He can hold the ball well and play with his back to the goal but creating chances regularly and stuff I honestly don't see it. Many times this season whenever he drops deep and the ball reaches the flanks there's no one in the box to receive crosses which doesn't indicate that we are playing with 2 forwards upfront.

As for now I will be fine with such setup but in the future I think we will have to make a choice on whom will be a striker eventually. Not to mention that of course we are going to sign more attackers which will make the choice much more complicated.

Toni Roncoroni

Did Ole seriously say we were ready to offer Young a 2 year deal?
Oh boy, I hope not. He was a good servant. So you just keep everybody in the squad that was here a few years as long as they want? This mindset brings you in this mess.

And by the way: he was mentioning the PSG-game. Come on, that was luck and not really a great performance.

Hoof the ball

Obviously Klopp is playing mind games saying that we 'only defend'. He knows we'll play deep and look to counter, which is a huge pain in the ass because Liverpool rely on space behind for the long passes to hit Mane and Salah, so he's trying to bait Ole and the players to emotionally respond by committing men forward in numbers recklessly.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
10:03
Ashley Young latest
To be fair, I think it was for Ashley, he’s 35 in the summer and if he gets a two year contract somewhere I think it’s up to him to take that, we were ready to offer that, he’s been a good servant, captain, won trophies, league cups, but we’ve got players coming through and when Ashley’s head and mindset was on so why not now.
ManUtd updated the comments, Ole said we weren't ready to offer 2 year contract.

“Well, to be fair, I think it was for Ashley, you know,” explained Ole.

“He is 35 in the summer and, if he gets a two-year contract somewhere, I think it's up to him to take that. We weren't ready to offer that.

“He's been a good servant for the club. He's been captain and he's won trophies, leagues, cups, but we've got players coming through.

“So it was time now, then. When Ashley's head and mindset was on 'yeah, I want to try this', why not do it now?“
https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...reed-for-transfer-from-man-utd-to-inter-milan

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Oh boy, I hope not. He was a good servant. So you just keep everybody in the squad that was here a few years as long as they want? This mindset brings you in this mess.

And by the way: he was mentioning the PSG-game. Come on, that was luck and not really a great performance.
Think it has been misquoted, as others said it makes more sense and was actually said that we wouldn't give him a two year contract.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Don't really like Maguire as a captain and I see nothing in him that points to him being a leader but at the same time there are no other choices unfortunately. De Gea would have been a terrible captain and there are no more senior players left in the squad after the stupid mass selling without replacing. Hardly a choice for us I guess.
Can't stand Maguire either, but I guess we don't see him day to day.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
10:09
Any chance United could go as long as Liverpool without a title?
That’s what we’re working hard to make sure doesn’t happen and let that be a lesson for us and let that be a lesson to us. We can’t let ourselves go another 24 years without winning the league. I believe in this club, we will get there.
Nice little dig at the Scousers :devil:

Russky14

This match rests on Ole formation or more importantly being able to change these during the game. This is now dependent on Rashford fitness.

Klopp will probably go with a 4-4-2 like the 2nd half at OT. So it will be park the bus but he will need to be brave at points and mix the formation i.e. 3-5-2 with 2 DM's. His split striker tactics at OT at actually found Klopp wanting. This formation works if the Scousers go to effective 5 in midfield but he needs to mix this approach up. sometimes in life attack the strength i.e. VVD rather than split strikers, counter with fast balls to make him turn but with both strikers on him. Without VVD at his best then the Scousers ain't a machine. Attack the strength not always the weakness if there is an opportunity. Then again I can't see OGS thinking this way at all!

Seven Seas Sardines

DDG
AWB Maguire Williams
James Fred Pogba Rashford
Fernandes
Greenwood Martial
:smirk:

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Anyong suggesting United will win need to see a doctor.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
In the press conference?
Good one. Sounds like we already won that one, judging by Ole's answers

Typically, Pool and Klopp have been very cautious when playing with us, so I am hoping for some kind of draw, but would be happy to beat the crap out of them as well. Of course you can always lose when playing with the unbeaten top of the league club, but don't want to think about that

el3mel

Liverpool will win 1-0. They don't thrash teams these days. It will be a close affairs I reckon.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Good one. Sounds like we already won that one, judging by Ole's answers

Typically, Pool and Klopp have been very cautious when playing with us, so I am hoping for some kind of draw, but would be happy to beat the crap out of them as well. Of course you can always lose when playing with the unbeaten top of the league club, but don't want to think about that
Yeah, for a team that's so good against the bigger sides they rarely match that level against us. Of course, that may say more about our current standard.

Can only recall being dominated by Klopp during the first leg of our Europa tie with them under LvG.

I think it'll be cagey, but I'd be very surprised if we come away with anything - especially as we could be missing arguably our 3 most important outfield players.

Lynty

He won't be ready to play centrally until another 4 years at least. Why worry?

Toni Roncoroni

Think it has been misquoted, as others said it makes more sense and was actually said that we wouldn't give him a two year contract.
Yes I guess I jumped the gun there. Sorry for that. Is reasonable not to give him a new contract, whatever the length. But I would find it really strange if Young really run off after talks with him. But maybe this is just media stuff and they decided that it is better for the transfer that he isn't involved in practice anymore.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
10:09
Any chance United could go as long as Liverpool without a title?
That’s what we’re working hard to make sure doesn’t happen and let that be a lesson for us and let that be a lesson to us. We can’t let ourselves go another 24 years without winning the league. I believe in this club, we will get there.
Arsenal probably will...now it doesn’t seem like a big thing. But 2003/2004 when they last the won the league seems like only yesterday and it you’d had said then that by 2020 they wouldn’t have another league title

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Yeah, for a team that's so good against the bigger sides they rarely match that level against us. Of course, that may say more about our current standard.

Can only recall being dominated by Klopp during the first leg of our Europa tie with them under LvG.

I think it'll be cagey, but I'd be very surprised if we come away with anything - especially as we could be missing arguably our 3 most important outfield players.
True. A lot depends on availability of Rashy. Any news on that one?

Gator Nate

From how I read it, Ole was saying if anyone else offers Young a 2-year deal, at almost 35, he should jump on it.

Not a bad press conference. The fact that he frustrates Klopp cannot be underestimated and he should play that up. A Klopp meltdown on the sidelines would be sweet. As has been pointed out, Pool doesn't run up the score often, only 5 goals in the last four matches following a 4-0 trashing of Leicester, and our defense is strong. No matter how things look, as long as we can hold them within 1 goal, we'll always be in it.