Solskjær press conference vs Everton (A)

SoCross

Yep. I remember Fergie used to do something very similar. At pre season in a squad meeting he had an envelope and said “I’ve wrote down the name of 3 players that I think will let me down this year, it’s up to you to prove me wrong”.

No wonder he kept people on their toes. Think ole is trying the same, not NAMING people, but deep down the players will think “am I really trying hard enough? Could I do more?”
Fergie never did that :confused: that was Rodgers I think.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
We were never signing 7 players.
Why not? Juventus signed 7 players this summer and they were in far less mess then we do. (Ronaldo, Cancelo, Costa, Bonucci, Perin, Can, Cacares). Its time we act like the biggest club in the world rather then just talk about it.

Last edited:

haram

His press conferences are usually all boring but in this one he sounds firm. This one is better.

Fluctuation0161

and before that we spend a large amount of money on players every season. It's clear the board lost trust in Jose, currently Ole looks like he has the trust of the board, I think we'll spend in region 170-200m net.
That's even more incompetent by the board. Should've sacked him if they lost trust in him enough to stop investment in much needed players.

Fluctuation0161

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Our overturn of players is low. We've still got Jones, Smalling, Young at the club for god's sake.
The number varies depending on the criteria but it's 18-20 since 13/14.

City - 25
Barca - 24
Bayern - 23
Madrid - 23
Juventus - this one was near impossible to calculate because they do a huge amount of loans.

Its utter nonsense to say that our overturn of players is crazy. We are going to let Jones and Smalling have testimonials. We converted two aging wingers into fullbacks instead of getting proper ones. Rooney stayed on for 2-3 years too long. This club has way too much sentimentality, holding onto the remnants of SAF when only De Gea has actually been at the right level to be one of the best in the world.
It's not sentimentality from the board holding on to these sub par players, it's cost saving.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Damn. I stand corrected. Was it ever revealed who the players where?
I don’t think he ever actually put any names in it, it’s just a motivational trick

breakout67

Supports
Man City
It's not sentimentality from the board holding on to these sub par players, it's cost saving.
You are correct. I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt, thinking that they had the football in mind. Maybe they thought that the winning mentality of SAF would have rubbed off on them. But the reality is probably more bleak, they kept these players because it's cheaper to keep them than upgrade them.

Bestietom

If players don't want to be here and there heads have already been turned, then nothing will help improve their performances. They will stroll around for the remainder of the season ( if picked to play) knowing their wages will still be paid.

This is a lot of footballers nowadays, which is why Fergie always studied the players he was bringing in. We are fighting for a top 4 finish and need players on the pitch who will give 120% for the remainder of the season, we have too many who are not performing now.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Damn. I stand corrected. Was it ever revealed who the players where?
That's the point mate!!
There were no names, it was a clever psychological trick where each player would be determined not to prove him right and be one of the names!

Embargoed quotes

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Solskjaer on creating a culture
As a club we cannot carry players. Everyone has to take ownership, keep improving, show that hunger that you want to get better individually and as a team.

It's about culture as well. They have to get the culture where players take ownership themselves. I think the players deserve to get the chance to come in for pre-season and show what they're capable of. Are they fit enough? Are they hungry enough? Do they want this enough? Do they want to give everything to the team? Or do they think only about themselves?

What is the definition of culture? I'd say it's about how we do things here and I have my way of doing things and I expect them to be done. We want to create a culture that we believe in. That might mean small things like having breakfast or lunch together.

I like my players to take ownership of their own careers and their futures. That's the type of player I like – and I have been impressed by many of the players we have got here. Not all of them, but a lot of them.

Samid

On not living in the past
We cannot live in the past. I'm not trying to make things like they once were – because the world changes and football changes.

You can't tell players to do all the same things we did when I played. That would be naïve. Of course, we've got to move it forward in the way we think it has to be done.

But there were certain things we did when I was a player and that's what I am talking about in terms of culture. I'm talking about how the manager trusted us. About how we had to take ownership as a group and as a team.

He trusted us and if you stepped out of bounds then it was unfortunate for you that you wouldn't stay here long. That's the way it has to be at a club like this.

breakout67

Supports
Man City
Ole saying all the right things while Jones and Young got new contracts. I have a suspicion that the board is working against him because their priority is saving money.

Samid

On transfer plans
I don't think you can expect six players coming in. No. That isn't in any club's wishes and I don't think any manager you asked would like to have that kind of change.

I'm realistic enough to think there will be less than six players coming in – in fact, I know there won't be six players coming in. It is a rebuild. We know it's going to take a few windows – and we're not going to get six or seven players in.

We have to take one step of time. Any new player has to be the right player, the right fit. We can't just take players in because we need a body.

Samid

On telling players their United careers are over
That's what you sign up for when you come to Manchester United.

You have to make tough decisions. You have to say to players 'I don't think you're for me'.

Take Mason Greenwood. He's 17-years-old. He is a player for me. I want to give him the chance to become a top player at this club.

It's the same with Marcus Rashford at 21 and Diogo Dalot at 20. These players are going to get a chance – and that is going to affect players who are at the other end of their careers.

Samid

On signing different type of players than his predecessors
I don't know the reason we have signed most of the players here, but I do know that they were brought here because they have great quality and previous managers have seen that.

But I look for different things than Van Gaal did, than Moyes did, than Jose did. I fancy different types of players and that's just the way it is in football.

It's not a question of whether I like this player or that player. The question I ask is of they fit into Man United and the style I want this club to play.

izec

Nice talk. Lets see what the season still offers, Ole didnt have a chance to stamp his idea on the team so far. He says the right things, but lets see.

I am curious to see who and how many we sign, respectively who gets booted out. Pre season will be interesting, when everyone is on board.

Kag

Sensible words. As usual, to his credit. He puts down markers but not in a manchild sort of way.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Solskjaer on creating a culture
As a club we cannot carry players. Everyone has to take ownership, keep improving, show that hunger that you want to get better individually and as a team.

It's about culture as well. They have to get the culture where players take ownership themselves. I think the players deserve to get the chance to come in for pre-season and show what they're capable of. Are they fit enough? Are they hungry enough? Do they want this enough? Do they want to give everything to the team? Or do they think only about themselves?

What is the definition of culture? I'd say it's about how we do things here and I have my way of doing things and I expect them to be done. We want to create a culture that we believe in. That might mean small things like having breakfast or lunch together.

I like my players to take ownership of their own careers and their futures. That's the type of player I like – and I have been impressed by many of the players we have got here. Not all of them, but a lot of them.
Interesting comments. Mentioning players who might 'only think about themselves' or not want to fit into the culture. Some he's been impressed with, others not. Can probably guess a few.

Saf94

On transfer plans
I don't think you can expect six players coming in. No. That isn't in any club's wishes and I don't think any manager you asked would like to have that kind of change.

I'm realistic enough to think there will be less than six players coming in – in fact, I know there won't be six players coming in. It is a rebuild. We know it's going to take a few windows – and we're not going to get six or seven players in.

We have to take one step of time. Any new player has to be the right player, the right fit. We can't just take players in because we need a body.
This is the best news I’ve read all year. We have literally killed our club with short term thinking and expecting to fix our problems in one summer every year for the last 6 years.

I mean we are 6 years out from Fergie and we still need a complete rebuild. Anyone who thinks we should be doing more of the same but ‘better’ is missing the point completely, the strategy itself is heavily flawed.

You cannot rebuild in one summer because there’s only so many players available each summer and more importantly only a very select few who are good enough / the right fit. Our problem is when we don’t get enough of (or any) of those guys we just go for the next best available who usually isn’t good enough or doesn’t fit and we don’t fix our problems and just end up with a huge transfer bill. Think about all the players we signed in the last 6 years and you can point to probably only Pogba and maybe Shaw as having actually solidified themselves as good enough in their role. That’s an insane success rate for 6 years and 12 transfer windows, that’s actually an unbelievably poor rate. It points to a fundamental flaw in strategy not just that we need to do better. I mean it’s actually insane that we spent 90m on a striker who is being benched by a guy from our youth.

I’m so glad this seems to have been identified, we need to only sign players if they actually improve us and if we are spending 200m I’d rather spend that on 2 world class guys then 6 medium guys who need to be replaced in 2/3 years.

If we slow down we can actually speed up our rebuild because 2 guys in 6 years is an incredibly slow rate of progress.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
This is the best news I’ve read all year. We have literally killed our club with short term thinking and expecting to fix our problems in one summer every year for the last 6 years.

I mean we are 6 years out from Fergie and we still need a complete rebuild. Anyone who thinks we should be doing more of the same but ‘better’ is missing the point completely, the strategy itself is heavily flawed.

You cannot rebuild in one summer because there’s only so many players available each summer and more importantly only a very select few who are good enough / the right fit. Our problem is when we don’t get enough of (or any) of those guys we just go for the next best available who usually isn’t good enough or doesn’t fit and we don’t fix our problems and just end up with a huge transfer bill. Think about all the players we signed in the last 6 years and you can point to probably only Pogba and maybe Shaw as having actually solidified themselves as good enough in their role. That’s an insane success rate for 6 years and 12 transfer windows, that’s actually an unbelievably poor rate. It points to a fundamental flaw in strategy not just that we need to do better. I mean it’s actually insane that we spent 90m on a striker who is being benched by a guy from our youth.

I’m so glad this seems to have been identified, we need to only sign players if they actually improve us and if we are spending 200m I’d rather spend that on 2 world class guys then 6 medium guys who need to be replaced in 2/3 years.

If we slow down we can actually speed up our rebuild because 2 guys in 6 years is an incredibly slow rate of progress.
When did we try and rebuild in a single summer?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I bet Mason Greenwood feels like two millions dollars today.

Ole won’t have said that because he’s a precocious talent, he will have said that because he works his arse off in training and has an impeccable attitude.

DownRiver

This is so refreshing. Basically says everything a united wants to hear in terms of fitness, style, change of culture etc. The difference is if he is capable to implement these changes.

Saf94

When did we try and rebuild in a single summer?
Every summer where we identified all our problem areas and tried to fill them in one go regardless of whether we could get our first choice player or not (ie all of them). That’s what I consider rebuilding in one summer, when you just get bodies for bodies sake.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Every summer where we identified all our problem areas and tried to fill them in one go regardless of whether we could get our first choice player or not (ie all of them). That’s what I consider rebuilding in one summer, when you just get bodies for bodies sake.
We haven't. Under Mourinho we brought in something like 4 players, and then another 3 players. It was done in blocks and all players were either heavily scouted (Dalot, Fred) or reasonable punts on paper (e.g. Mkhitaryan, Lukaku).

You don't always get 1st choice. You have a short list and try and get names from the shortlist. Every club has that to be fair.

hn4manunited

The real problem is this club and its fans will not have patience for a multi year rebuild. All the previous managers were hired on for the same project. They’ll get a window or two and when things don’t go in a positive manner, they won’t get the backing of fans and most importantly Ed who makes the call on transfers...all I can say is, here we go again...

Saf94

We haven't. Under Mourinho we brought in something like 4 players, and then another 3 players. It was done in blocks and all players were either heavily scouted (Dalot, Fred) or reasonable punts on paper (e.g. Mkhitaryan, Lukaku).

You don't always get 1st choice. You have a short list and try and get names from the shortlist. Every club has that to be fair.
Ok but my point was they werent reasonable punts and actually pretty poor acquisitions. Lukaku was clearly not technically good enough for a top team, no one is surprised that he has a poor touch and the fact that he’s struggling now should’ve been clear to everyone. He’s a good goalscorer but doesn’t have the qualities to play for a big club.

Mikhitaryan had one consistent season in his career, he was a playmaker being played out wide and in a pretty specific counter attacking system. Sanchez had a poor season and was 29 and we blew our wage structure for him. Matic was good but again 29 and clearly wouldn’t last long and already wasn’t mobile enough which many people had mentioned. Bailly and Lindelof weren’t really the leaders in defence which we needed. Dalot to be fair is good signing given his potential.

And that’s just the guys Mou managed to get we all know he was after more including Perisic, Willian, Maguire - all these guys are in the same mould.

I’m not saying any of these guys are bad guys but they clearly weren’t the right fit for us, that’s plain as day. We needed a striker to replace Ibra but when no genuine top striker was available we just got the best one we could. When you don’t get first choice you need to be smart, if we spend 90m on third choice who just gets replaced by a guy from our youth what’s the point? 90m is absurd money for a bench player. We’ve spent something like 100m on centrebacks since Fergie left and our defence is still atrocious and we are still starting Smalling and Jones!

There’s a difference between not first choice and what we’re doing. We’ve spent so much money we’ve financially restricted ourself, we’ve damaged our chances of actually rebuilding and are losing good players like Herrera and potentially De Gea because of our wage structure.

We have to be smarter and get guys because they’ll genuinely improve us and not because we need players in that position.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Ok but my point was they werent reasonable punts and actually pretty poor acquisitions. Lukaku was clearly not technically good enough for a top team, no one is surprised that he has a poor touch and the fact that he’s struggling now should’ve been clear to everyone. He’s a good goalscorer but doesn’t have the qualities to play for a big club.

Mikhitaryan had one consistent season in his career, he was a playmaker being played out wide and in a pretty specific counter attacking system. Sanchez had a poor season and was 29 and we blew our wage structure for him. Matic was good but again 29 and clearly wouldn’t last long and already wasn’t mobile enough which many people had mentioned. Bailly and Lindelof weren’t really the leaders in defence which we needed. Dalot to be fair is good signing given his potential.

And that’s just the guys Mou managed to get we all know he was after more including Perisic, Willian, Maguire - all these guys are in the same mould.

I’m not saying any of these guys are bad guys but they clearly weren’t the right fit for us, that’s plain as day. We needed a striker to replace Ibra but when no genuine top striker was available we just got the best one we could. When you don’t get first choice you need to be smart, if we spend 90m on third choice who just gets replaced by a guy from our youth what’s the point? 90m is absurd money for a bench player. We’ve spent something like 100m on centrebacks since Fergie left and our defence is still atrocious and we are still starting Smalling and Jones!

There’s a difference between not first choice and what we’re doing. We’ve spent so much money we’ve financially restricted ourself, we’ve damaged our chances of actually rebuilding and are losing good players like Herrera and potentially De Gea because of our wage structure.

We have to be smarter and get guys because they’ll genuinely improve us and not because we need players in that position.
We need to just disagree for Lukaku. He was wanted by Chelsea when we snapped him up, and right now the reports are that Bayern and PSG would be interested along with Juventus. So yeah, he is good enough to play for a top club.

The general problem you elude to is nothing to do with quantity. It's to do with execution and identifying the right players. We should be capable of bringing in 5-6 vital players if we wished to, but we are just not capable of it. There is no structure in the club so whether its 3 players or 6, we will likely continue to waste our cash on misidentified talents.

Do we have it in us to do a Liverpool and bring in 6-7 quality players where the majority are either great cogs in a unit or world class? Probably not. Because our structure is shit and has zero signs of being fixed.

Saf94

We need to just disagree for Lukaku. He was wanted by Chelsea when we snapped him up, and right now the reports are that Bayern and PSG would be interested along with Juventus. So yeah, he is good enough to play for a top club.

The general problem you elude to is nothing to do with quantity. It's to do with execution and identifying the right players. We should be capable of bringing in 5-6 vital players if we wished to, but we are just not capable of it. There is no structure in the club so whether its 3 players or 6, we will likely continue to waste our cash on misidentified talents.

Do we have it in us to do a Liverpool and bring in 6-7 quality players where the majority are either great cogs in a unit or world class? Probably not. Because our structure is shit and has zero signs of being fixed.
Ok I agree with you on most of that but my point about the quantity thing is simply a matter of money. Im pretty confident that if we spent 150m on 2 players rather than 4/5 players we could easily be signing much better quality and improving our side quite a lot. People have balked at prices like 100m for Koulibaliy but if he’s the right man then why not, it’s better than 100m on 5 guys who don’t improve us at all.

Liverpool spent big money when they needed to, 75m on Van Dijk, 70m on Allison. It’s true they built pretty well for good money and we aren’t in that position but that doesn’t mean we can’t improve our team. At the very least improve our success rate from 1/2 good signings in 6 years to something much better than that.

We’ve wasted a lot of money and we could invest it much smarter if we saved ourselves from desperately trying to plug all our gaps every summer

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Made some pointed remarks which was refreshing, but we need to walk the walk too.

Maybe mentioning those younger players means we're not signing a forward or a right back.

Hope he realises now that we are going nowhere until we upgrade our defense properly.

Intilo

"idon't think you can expect six players coming in. No. That isn't in any club's wishes and I don't think any manager you asked would like to have that kind of change."
Pep got 22 new players over 4 transfer window , our board are just incompetent and always on money saving mode.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Renewing players is protecting your assets, we don't want them to leave for free, mainly financial reasoning behind most of the renewals.
I'd pay to have Ashley Young leave tbh.