Solskjær press conference vs Everton (A)

buckooo1978

Solskjaer on creating a culture
As a club we cannot carry players. Everyone has to take ownership, keep improving, show that hunger that you want to get better individually and as a team.

It's about culture as well. They have to get the culture where players take ownership themselves. I think the players deserve to get the chance to come in for pre-season and show what they're capable of. Are they fit enough? Are they hungry enough? Do they want this enough? Do they want to give everything to the team? Or do they think only about themselves?

What is the definition of culture? I'd say it's about how we do things here and I have my way of doing things and I expect them to be done. We want to create a culture that we believe in. That might mean small things like having breakfast or lunch together.

I like my players to take ownership of their own careers and their futures. That's the type of player I like – and I have been impressed by many of the players we have got here. Not all of them, but a lot of them.
this is why Solskjaer is right for this job. He understands that the levels have dropped off so far from when we were winning leagues

good leadership is about changing the culture and not being able to buy Gareth Bale - it's about getting people to buy into that vision. Ole has already developed good buy in from the players he so lavishly praised so far in his role. Now to challenge them to rise.

think we will see a more focused, professional and hard working United side next season.

I'm expecting to see an unrecognisable United side in 3 years

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
This is the best news I’ve read all year. We have literally killed our club with short term thinking and expecting to fix our problems in one summer every year for the last 6 years.

I mean we are 6 years out from Fergie and we still need a complete rebuild. Anyone who thinks we should be doing more of the same but ‘better’ is missing the point completely, the strategy itself is heavily flawed.

You cannot rebuild in one summer because there’s only so many players available each summer and more importantly only a very select few who are good enough / the right fit. Our problem is when we don’t get enough of (or any) of those guys we just go for the next best available who usually isn’t good enough or doesn’t fit and we don’t fix our problems and just end up with a huge transfer bill. Think about all the players we signed in the last 6 years and you can point to probably only Pogba and maybe Shaw as having actually solidified themselves as good enough in their role. That’s an insane success rate for 6 years and 12 transfer windows, that’s actually an unbelievably poor rate. It points to a fundamental flaw in strategy not just that we need to do better. I mean it’s actually insane that we spent 90m on a striker who is being benched by a guy from our youth.

I’m so glad this seems to have been identified, we need to only sign players if they actually improve us and if we are spending 200m I’d rather spend that on 2 world class guys then 6 medium guys who need to be replaced in 2/3 years.

If we slow down we can actually speed up our rebuild because 2 guys in 6 years is an incredibly slow rate of progress.
The 4 players per year might be good enough for a club whose competitive and needs to just freshen things up. We have failed wingers as fullbacks, we got 1 decent winger and you can count our talented players on one hand

Under such circumstances no wonder why we are giving contracts to young and jones

devilish

this is why Solskjaer is right for this job. He understands that the levels have dropped off so far from when we were winning leagues

good leadership is about changing the culture and not being able to buy Gareth Bale - it's about getting people to buy into that vision. Ole has already developed good buy in from the players he so lavishly praised so far in his role. Now to challenge them to rise.

think we will see a more focused, professional and hard working United side next season.

I'm expecting to see an unrecognisable United side in 3 years
With 4 signings a year (max) I very much doubt it. There's a bigger chance of us giving contracts to the same old tripe ie young, Rojo and jones

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Simple question. These pressers are a waste of time.
That question was asked multiple times and he answer it many times too, that he wants his team to play attacking game, working harder than anyone citing examples of Giggs and Beckham and their workrate. Also he talked about fitness and how we have to improve that next season.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...

This is so refreshing. Basically says everything a united wants to hear in terms of fitness, style, change of culture etc. The difference is if he is capable to implement these changes.
Its the first time ive seen this set of journos and my word, thier questions were really good. Finnaly, press conference questions added somethig important to the discussions around our club.

Re Ole's comment. The biggest benefit of him getting the job is that he will have 6 months to asses the players. I expect a huge clear out this summer and plenty of youngster added to the first team squad.

Smores

Hopefully that's a pointed remark at Young and he's seen Dalot now has to play instead. Just hope all those saying "Dalot isn't ready Young has to start" aren't too hard in their criticism of Ole.

buckooo1978

An unrecognisable United.
well even if we do actually only sign a maximum of 4 players a year (which we aren't guaranteed he will do) in 3 years we....and let me check my maths... yes that 4 x 3 = 12 players

also I think many would expect Greenwood to break through as well as some of Garner, Gomes, Chong, Laird.

it's not just about players though.. it's about a fitter team, maybe more humble and focused. Having a side that is more solid defensively and being able to compete better with top teams rather than playing on the break

Solskjaer is also not in a rush.... he says he will wait for the right players rather than buy stop gaps or squad members. Liverpool are likely to win the league and the crucial thing they did was wait for Van Dijk

he also talks about the attitude of the players we sign. Young and hungry players will be the way forward. For the last 5 years we've been flash in the market, with Woodward trying to impress people with his buying power and squandering funds. Sanchez picked us over City and could anyone argue the deciding factor wasnt money? this was a transfer that has unsettled things at the club with Rashford, Pogba and De Gea potentially.

we might not win a thing with Ole but he will leave us in a much much better state than he finds us given the values he has shared

Last edited:

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Another point people miss is that the decisions to renew Jones, Smalling and Young were made before Ole took over, even if they weren't finalised. Player contracts take ages to sort out and once the wheels were in motion they likely couldn't just be withdrawn at a moment's notice.

Young was also one of our better performers at the time and few were complaining about him getting a once year deal with a view that he'd be back up next season

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Hopefully that's a pointed remark at Young and he's seen Dalot now has to play instead. Just hope all those saying "Dalot isn't ready Young has to start" aren't too hard in their criticism of Ole.
Well Young isn't in the squad for Everton so I don't doubt that it was exactly this he was alluding too.

devilish

well even if we do actually only sign a maximum of 4 players a year (which we aren't guaranteed he will do) in 3 years we....and let me check my maths... yes that 4 x 3 = 12 players

also I think many would expect Greenwood to break through as well as some of Garner, Gomes, Chong, Laird.

it's not just about players though.. it's about a fitter team, maybe more humble and focused. Having a side that is more solid defensively and being able to compete better with top teams rather than playing on the break

we might not win a thing with Ole but he will leave us in a much much better state than he finds us given the values he has shared

That would work if our side is a static thing were contracts never end & players never age, get injured or want out etc. Which isn't the case. Players do age, injuries do happen and considering the rumours surrounding DDG and Pogba patience is running thin. Next season we'll probably

a- need to replace the GK
b- our fullback department consist of a kid whose deemed not good enough to send Young on the bench, an injury prone LB and Ashley Young
c- You can squeeze all the talent of our CBs in a small cup which means we need at least 1 CB.
d- Matic is in decline hence that need to be addressed.
e- Out of all our wingers, only Martial can dribble past a player which means we need 1-2 wingers there as well
f- Herrera is probably leaving which means that we need to address that as well
g- I won't be surprised if Lukaku would want out as well.

Also I find this complete trust on our youth academy as funny.

a- We had produced 1 WC player since the class of 92 and lets face it, we can attribute much of his development with playing with Pirlo and Vidal
b- The class of 92 attribute their success to SAF's, Keane's, Irwin's, Schmeichel's and Cantona's tutorship. Whom do these kid got? Matic? Smalling? Jones? Young? The guy who got his arse kicked after few months at Cardiff? So we're expecting Chong, Garner and co to succeed at a younger age then the likes of Scholes did with barely any tutorship at all.

Don't take me wrong I wasn't expecting (or even wanted) a crazy summer were we signed a horde of Neymars and Messis. However I did expected us to kick the hornet's nest by getting rid of the rubbish and sign 6-7 young players (the Bergwijn's, De Ligts, Milenkovic's Ndidi's type). That would have raised standards, it would have put players on their toes and it would have given Ole a fighting chance of actually retaining his job. Oh well, hopefully the likes of Jones & Young will come from preseason and perform in a way that they never had done before.

Last edited:

Adamsk7

We don’t need to buy 7 players. There’s potential for disaster there because I have never known any club bring that many in and for the majority be a success. Also, from a culture and dressing room point of view, replacing 7 out of 11 first team players in one go would not create a very good dynamic.

I think four in is perfect. Four first team, bonafide class players to challenge those who are here to step up. That way we can see what Rashford, Martial etc are made of. One in the January window and then another two -three in the following summer. That’d be 7-8 new players over three windows. Personally I think we should (and likely will) rebuild even slower than that.

It’s not a race to build a competitive squad. Liverpool finally learned it and look at the rewards.

devilish

We don’t need to buy 7 players. There’s potential for disaster there because I have never known any club bring that many in and for the majority be a success. Also, from a culture and dressing room point of view, replacing 7 out of 11 first team players in one go would not create a very good dynamic.

I think four in is perfect. Four first team, bonafide class players to challenge those who are here to step up. That way we can see what Rashford, Martial etc are made of. One in the January window and then another two -three in the following summer. That’d be 7-8 new players over three windows. Personally I think we should (and likely will) rebuild even slower than that.

It’s not a race to build a competitive squad. Liverpool finally learned it and look at the rewards.
Well Juventus strengthened the squad with 6 potential 'first teamers' this seasons (Ronaldo, Bonucci, Perin, Can, Costa, and Cancelo), 7 if you consider Kean being recalled from loan and 8 if you take Caceres loan from Lazio. The year before they bought Bernardeschi, Matuidi, Cuadrado, Benatia, Bentacur, De Sciglio and Szczesny. That's a fully functional squad whose actually win stuff

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I doubt we even know what number we will sign is yet. Ole would be silly to say “we will sign 5/6 players” then end up with 2/3.

It depends who’s available/wether a fair deal can be done.

Allas8

Well Juventus strengthened the squad with 6 potential 'first teamers' this seasons (Ronaldo, Bonucci, Perin, Can, Costa, and Cancelo), 7 if you consider Kean being recalled from loan and 8 if you take Caceres loan from Lazio. The year before they bought Bernardeschi, Matuidi, Cuadrado, Benatia, Bentacur, De Sciglio and Szczesny. That's a fully functional squad whose actually win stuff
Are you saying that if Juventus did not sign 6 new 'first teamers' they would not win stuff?

Adamsk7

IMO they were arguably a better team before those players came in. I’d also say that less than half of those have been an out and out success and the most high profile and expensive of the lot, Ronaldo, probably only has another two seasons at the top.
I don’t trust our board or scouts to be able to identify 5,6 or 7 players that are all going to improve us. I’m just saying that four considered, well scouted players with the right culture to fit our club, would be better then w panic summer. Don’t forget, this is Ed Woodward we are talking about!

devilish

IMO they were arguably a better team before those players came in. I’d also say that less than half of those have been an out and out success and the most high profile and expensive of the lot, Ronaldo, probably only has another two seasons at the top.
I don’t trust our board or scouts to be able to identify 5,6 or 7 players that are all going to improve us. I’m just saying that four considered, well scouted players with the right culture to fit our club, would be better then w panic summer. Don’t forget, this is Ed Woodward we are talking about!
I doubt that they expected anything better tbh. If players do well they are kept. If they fail, then they will be quickly identified and sold before their value dips to the ridiculous. That's how Juventus tend to operate.

There's more to transfers then the actual signings. Its also about keeping players on their toes, its about ensuring standards remain high & about removing disruptive/complacent players before they infect the squad. What type of message do you think players got when the club decided to keep Jones for another 4-5 years? The message is that its ok to be consistently shit at this club because you'll still get a contract. Same when we decided to start moving failed wingers as fbs instead of actually buying fullbacks.

Oh well, hopefully our players will return to the preseason with an extraordinary 'hunger' and talent we haven't seen in years.

buckooo1978

That would work if our side is a static thing were contracts never end & players never age, get injured or want out etc. Which isn't the case. Players do age, injuries do happen and considering the rumours surrounding DDG and Pogba patience is running thin. Next season we'll probably

a- need to replace the GK
b- our fullback department consist of a kid whose deemed not good enough to send Young on the bench, an injury prone LB and Ashley Young
c- You can squeeze all the talent of our CBs in a small cup which means we need at least 1 CB.
d- Matic is in decline hence that need to be addressed.
e- Out of all our wingers, only Martial can dribble past a player which means we need 1-2 wingers there as well
f- Herrera is probably leaving which means that we need to address that as well
g- I won't be surprised if Lukaku would want out as well.

Also I find this complete trust on our youth academy as funny.

a- We had produced 1 WC player since the class of 92 and lets face it, we can attribute much of his development with playing with Pirlo and Vidal
b- The class of 92 attribute their success to SAF's, Keane's, Irwin's, Schmeichel's and Cantona's tutorship. Whom do these kid got? Matic? Smalling? Jones? Young? The guy who got his arse kicked after few months at Cardiff? So we're expecting Chong, Garner and co to succeed at a younger age then the likes of Scholes did with barely any tutorship at all.

Don't take me wrong I wasn't expecting (or even wanted) a crazy summer were we signed a horde of Neymars and Messis. However I did expected us to kick the hornet's nest by getting rid of the rubbish and sign 6-7 young players (the Bergwijn's, De Ligts, Milenkovic's Ndidi's type). That would have raised standards, it would have put players on their toes and it would have given Ole a fighting chance of actually retaining his job. Oh well, hopefully the likes of Jones & Young will come from preseason and perform in a way that they never had done before.
well we dont know what the future holds in terms of a number of things
- How many players will we actually be able to sign
- how much backing will Ole actually get
- De Gea and Pogba's future
- Will youth team players progress - they dont have to be World Class by the way to make big contributions.
- will players like Rashford, Martial, Shaw, Dalot, McTominay take the next steps. There is superb potential there and that's half a team.

Ole has said himself that this is a long process. Mourinho and Van Gaal said the same but failed to impose an effective style or have players perform at an acceptable level.

Where Ole differs I think he understands the mentality that brings success at United. Something LVG and Mourinho didnt have experience of - Ole understands that culture and I think that's the foundation to turning things around

as I said we've no clue how many we will sign but Ole is hardly going to say he wants 6/7 players - that was disastrous for Moyes. You only need to look down thr M62 and see Liverpool's recruitment to see how it can be done - interestingly they've made on average 4 significant signings each year over the past 3 years ranging from 8m for Robertson to 75 for Van Dijk

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-liverpool/alletransfers/verein/31

Good coaching and a clear culture/philosophy of playing by Klopp has elevated the performances of existing players like Henderson and hes brought in quality

as I said and maybe I am being positive but I think this United side will be unrecognisable is 3 years and in waiting for the right players with the right attitude we will be challenging hard

devilish

well we dont know what the future holds in terms of a number of things
- How many players will we actually be able to sign
- how much backing will Ole actually get
- De Gea and Pogba's future
- Will youth team players progress - they dont have to be World Class by the way to make big contributions.
- will players like Rashford, Martial, Shaw, Dalot, McTominay take the next steps. There is superb potential there and that's half a team.

Ole has said himself that this is a long process. Mourinho and Van Gaal said the same but failed to impose an effective style or have players perform at an acceptable level.

Where Ole differs I think he understands the mentality that brings success at United. Something LVG and Mourinho didnt have experience of - Ole understands that culture and I think that's the foundation to turning things around

as I said we've no clue how many we will sign but Ole is hardly going to say he wants 6/7 players - that was disastrous for Moyes. You only need to look down thr M62 and see Liverpool's recruitment to see how it can be done - interestingly they've made on average 4 significant signings each year over the past 3 years ranging from 8m for Robertson to 75 for Van Dijk

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-liverpool/alletransfers/verein/31

Good coaching and a clear culture/philosophy of playing by Klopp has elevated the performances of existing players like Henderson and hes brought in quality

as I said and maybe I am being positive but I think this United side will be unrecognisable is 3 years and in waiting for the right players with the right attitude we will be challenging hard
I am only posting in response to what Ole wrote. Regarding the kids, I'm sorry, but if we relying on them to actually become competitive then they need to become WC. The likes of OShea, Lingard or even Rashford/Welbeck won't cut it. Hence why I don't have trust in this youth academy vibe. We're expecting them to step up at the same level of the class of 92, at a younger age, and with less support then the class of 92 had. In fact there's no SAF, Schmeichel, Keane and Cantona protecting them this time round, just some rookie who was out of depth at Cardiff and a pair of very average players who shouldn't even be here in the first place. Considering that we have produced just 1 WC players since the class of 92 that's pretty daunting.

Also this side lacks the talent to make it to top 4 which is a prerequisite to keep your job at United. 4 players next summer won't change things drastically as other clubs who already have a better side and manager then we do will be strengthening their side as well. Therefore I doubt that Ole will keep his job past the summer next to this.

Last edited:

buckooo1978

I am only posting in response to what Ole wrote. Regarding the kids, I'm sorry, but if we relying on them to actually become competitive then they need to become WC. The likes of OShea, Lingard or even Rashford/Welbeck won't cut it. Hence why I don't have trust in this youth academy vibe. We're expecting them to step up at the same level of the class of 92, at a younger age, and with less support then the class of 92 had. In fact there's no SAF, Schmeichel, Keane and Cantona protecting them this time round, just some rookie who was out of depth at Cardiff and a pair of very average players who shouldn't even be here in the first place. Considering that we have produced just 1 WC players since the class of 92 that's pretty daunting.

Also this side lacks the talent to make it to top 4 which is a prerequisite to keep your job at United. 4 players next summer won't change things drastically as other clubs who already have a better side and manager then we do will be strengthening their side as well. Therefore I doubt that Ole will keep his job past the summer next to this.
out of interest who in the class of 92 was World Class?

Scholes and Beckham you could argue but the Nevilles, Butt no chance. We won the treble with Cole and Yorke who weren't world class. Stam, Keane, Irwin, Giggs and Schmeichel were but with the exception of Giggs they were all bought

if we sign 4 there is pressure there that all 4 need to make a major impact but you have to give Ole a chance to do just that.

I fully expect us to get top 4 next season as a building block. We've been awful this season for the most part and we are still in with a shout of getting top 4.

if we bring in really effective players in a RB, CB, RW and midfielder that would make the difference - look at the impact Van Dijk made to that Liverpool side

anyway you seem to have made your mind up already oddly - I'm more prepared to give the manager making the right sounds a chance.

devilish

out of interest who in the class of 92 was World Class?

Scholes and Beckham you could argue but the Nevilles, Butt no chance. We won the treble with Cole and Yorke who weren't world class. Stam, Keane, Irwin, Giggs and Schmeichel were but with the exception of Giggs they were all bought

if we sign 4 there is pressure there that all 4 need to make a major impact but you have to give Ole a chance to do just that.

I fully expect us to get top 4 next season as a building block. We've been awful this season for the most part and we are still in with a shout of getting top 4.

if we bring in really effective players in a RB, CB, RW and midfielder that would make the difference - look at the impact Van Dijk made to that Liverpool side

anyway you seem to have made your mind up already oddly - I'm more prepared to give the manager making the right sounds a chance.
We had 3 ie Giggs, Scholes and Beckham. Gaz wasn't world class but his attitude was and at his prime he was pretty much close to WC.

As said the problem here is that we're relying on kids to step up, at a younger age then the class of 92 and in an environment which is way more difficult then that faced by the class of 92. We're also expecting that we'll be able to dig ourselves out of this hole by signing 4 players when others whose got a better side and a better manager then we do will probably strengthen their side with that same amount of signings as well. I can't see that plan succeeding tbh.

devilish

So how is what Juventus doing relevant to United. Serie A is a one team league where Juventus can do whatever they want and still win.
The gap between Juventus and the rest is big because they keep strengthening the side and they keep all their players on their toes. Its pretty much what happened to United up until Mou came to scene. Others didn't win the league because they were better then us but because we allowed our standards to slip. In fact once our weaknesses were ratified we got on top once again.

Adamsk7

As always. Nice words on press conferences and total shit on the pitch.
He’s not playing though, is he?

Let’s not blame Ole - I think it’s clear, considering the team has been shit under Moyes, Van Gaal, Mourinho and now Solskjaer, that the problem is NOT the manager.

WPMUFC

Players get called out and they've turned on Ole. Literally no one is playing football, it's 10 idiots running around

Patrick08

Stop being a long ball team and play pogba at 10 for eff sake. 433 ain't working with this pathetic midfield and defense.

Patrick08

Lvg " ole is playing the same mourinho played but winning".

This was certainly that.

Play pogba at 10 and make 2 sit behind him.

john moran

Lvg " ole is playing the same mourinho played but winning".

This was certainly that.

Play pogba at 10 and make 2 sit behind him.
play pogba in madrid and have him joined elsewhere by 2 or 3 who just could not be bothered , yes i mean you Messrs Martial and Rashford and DeGea