Solskjær press conference vs Le Arse (H)

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir

The United boss will be addressing the media ahead of the home game vs Arsenal.

Samid

Solskjaer: Fitness key to revival
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer spoke to Norwegian media outlet TV2 earlier this week and says Manchester United’s recent revival is mainly down to their improved fitness since the international break.

“The truth is that we were not in shape before the international break. Now we are fit and we are sharp and it has only gotten better and better.

We are always working to be stable, and I think we have been stable ever since February. We’ve lost one of the last eight, which I think is pretty consistent.”

Our squad is good and it gives us many opportunities. We can play in different formations, but the key is how we execute it. I am very happy at the moment.”

Samid

Solskjaer on Arteta at Arsenal
Any manager would need some time to put his principles and plays, he’s already won a trophy with them and you can see what he’s doing, you can see he’s got his own ideas and that he’s also worked under a top manager before, definitely. When you’re at the start of your career as a manager and you can start winning already it’s a great foundation to build from and they’ve really found a manager who wants the best for the club.”

Samid

Solskjaer on United rivalry vs Arsenal
“When I played it was between us and Arsenal to win the league, that was a very fierce rivalry, there are all sorts of stories about what happened, that’s passion, the excitement, importance of those games - we knew if we beat Arsenal and we took six points off them that’d’ be us winning the league and vice versa. Some unbelievable games, some fond memories and some bad memories, there is still a rivalry and history but now we don’t think about them or anyone as our rivals, we just need to put points on the board and it’s so early anyway.”

Samid

Solskjaer on Telles/injury news vs Arsenal
Alex won’t be ready, no, so apart from that I would think everyone else looks like they could be involved.”

Samid

Solskjaer on Romero+Jones prospects
“Well, Sergio [Romero] has just come back into training this week, so he’s started his pre-season work and is working to get to his peak fitness with the goalkeepers. Phil has been injured and had an operation and working really hard to be back, hopefully he’ll get fit in December, when you’re injured you can’t get into the squad, he’s working really diligently and he’ll be coming back soon.”

Samid

Solskjaer on title race
I think football has developed and so many clubs have developed strength in depth and the ability to challenge for the trophies, even though last two seasons you had two teams running away with it, I think this season a lot of us just underneath them would hope to put up a challenge, back then it was us or Arsenal, and then Chelsea came through. Now it’s more exciting for me and the fans that it’s not one of these two. Anything can happen this season with what’s happening around the world and we’re just taking one game at a time.”

Samid

Solskjaer on United progress over last year
Well, we keep on working, want to develop, we want to improve, it’s not up to me to say how far we’ve come but I’ve been very pleased with the response after what we did early on in the season, we knew we had to hang in early on and try to get points on the board because we were far behind but now we feel fit and strong and competitive in every game.”

Samid

Solskjaer on diamond formation used vs Leipzig/demands of full-backs in that system
Well, it’s different demands in different systems, we’re still the same, call it the same principles of a Man United full-back - you need to be good at defending and good going forward, we need assists and goals from them [Wan-Bissaka and Shaw], both of them have played and developed and we don’t really have wide wingers like Giggsy and David Beckham, and are more dependent on full-backs coming on and giving us width.”

Samid

Solskjaer on Pogba position
Paul can do everything on a football pitch more or less, he can play long passes, get in the box, arrive in the box, play combinations outside the box, but he played really well, he did impact the game [vs Leipzig], we love to see him driving forward and affecting the game, what has been the case with Paul after being injured and ill for so long, it is about getting fitness, getting the sharpness back, and the fitter he is the more he can do.”

Samid

Solskjaer disappointed five-sub rule was scrapped
100% (would’ve liked to have had five subs in the league) and I don’t understand and cannot believe the vote went against, we have to look after the players and this season is the most demanding season of all. I can see the point why clubs voted against but if you take a step back and think about these professional footballers and their mental and physical health, I think the only sensible solution would have been to give us the opportunity to rest a few more. We have already seen loads of injuries, Pep has spoken about it, we as managers and club medical staff have to look after them and that’s why we have to rest players at certain times. I would have liked to have had five subs.”

Samid

Solskjaer on squad depth
At the moment, we are looking like a Man United squad, I’ve got opportunities, competition for places, and any successful team in the modern era of football have had the option to rest players, to rotate and that is probably the only way you can last in this most intense league in the world and also with the Champions League involved, you want to go for the trophies.”

Samid

Solskjaer on Fred's form
He’s got incredible attributes, and we are seeing the better side of Fred, definitely, we’ve waited for it, he played a fantastic season last season and did what we wanted for him. He’s a humble boy, works really hard and, as he said after the game, he missed a couple of passes but that’s in his genes to look to improve and to look at his own performance, his high energy... he’s little but his point of gravity, his balance is fantastic, he’s so sharp, wins the balls and can play a good pass, delighted with his development.”

Samid

Solskjaer on managing his 100th game for United vs Arsenal
Arsenal is always gonna be difficult, because they are a very good team with a good manager who has got some great ideas on how football should be played and I’m looking forward to it. Surprised it’s 100 games, it’s gone really quickly even though a lot has happened, so let’s hope I can celebrate No.100 with a good performance and a good result. I’ve enjoyed it so far.”

Samid

Solskjaer on how United have reacted to Spurs loss
I think any result as brutal as a 6-1 would have to get a response and, of course, it has been dealt with internally, we’ve tweaked a couple of things, got players fit and I think the manner of the defeat wasn’t something we should ever have to be confronted with again. Then again things happen in football these days and the response has been fantastic, and that’s what I’m concerned about, because we wanted to finish that off as soon as we could and move forward.”

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Fair play to him, Ole never gives an inch when it comes to hinting at who may start in the next game.

Annoyingly, I hate it from a Fantasy Football sense.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Fair play to him, Ole never gives an inch when it comes to hinting at who may start in the next game.

Annoyingly, I hate it from a Fantasy Football sense.
Yeah I like how Ole keeps his cards close to his chest. Also pleased to see some Fred love

El Zoido

I love how he talks up the squad. Must be brilliant for the players and give them great confidence going in to a game, after receiving such public praise from their manager.

Meanwhile at Tottenham...

OleTheGreat

I only have one thing on my mind, can we trigger a response with this team when we go a goal behind and attack the opponents because that is only thing on my mind these days. When we start well and have control over the game and score first, we generally end up winning by good margins but when we go down early, I don't know if we can cope with it and react quickly to go to the other end and attack attack attack... We are still very very tediously slow in possession and that can go against us as well. I hope we can take advantage of the way Arsenal play ( open and expansive ) and break them. Hoping for a huge victory and lots of positivity on Sunday. Let's go! No Mata and James please.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Solskjaer disappointed five-sub rule was scrapped
100% (would’ve liked to have had five subs in the league) and I don’t understand and cannot believe the vote went against, we have to look after the players and this season is the most demanding season of all. I can see the point why clubs voted against but if you take a step back and think about these professional footballers and their mental and physical health, I think the only sensible solution would have been to give us the opportunity to rest a few more. We have already seen loads of injuries, Pep has spoken about it, we as managers and club medical staff have to look after them and that’s why we have to rest players at certain times. I would have liked to have had five subs.”
Me too. I thought this was fecking barmy to scrap.

HowYouDoin

Madness that the card was such bullshit and he still misses 3 games.
C'est la vie. We have done well since, we have great options, its what it is.
Personally I do think Greenwood and Rashford should start anyway.

Lentwood

Wait so....our 1-3 against Palace and our 1-6 against Spurs were down to the fact that we had only been back off the beaches for two weeks, whilst these clubs had a couple of months to prepare?

Mad that isn't it. There was me thinking the RedCafe experts who declared most of our players as write-off's and Ole as a 'PE Teacher' had it all right on the money again. Who would have thought fitness levels had anything to do with results?

HowYouDoin

Wait so....our 1-3 against Palace and our 1-6 against Spurs were down to the fact that we had only been back off the beaches for two weeks, whilst these clubs had a couple of months to prepare?

Mad that isn't it. There was me thinking the RedCafe experts who declared most of our players as write-off's and Ole as a 'PE Teacher' had it all right on the money again. Who would have thought fitness levels had anything to do with results?
I think its even more tactical than fitness levels.
Ok Spurs game was a bit of an anomaly because we played with 10 men but Ole started Matic and Pogba in those two games and they were just way too slow. We were getting cut through midfield like butter.
Everything changed when Ole started playing Fred and McT in midfield. That's literally the biggest adjustment he's made and it made us a much better team.

Okey

I only have one thing on my mind, can we trigger a response with this team when we go a goal behind and attack the opponents because that is only thing on my mind these days. When we start well and have control over the game and score first, we generally end up winning by good margins but when we go down early, I don't know if we can cope with it and react quickly to go to the other end and attack attack attack... We are still very very tediously slow in possession and that can go against us as well. I hope we can take advantage of the way Arsenal play ( open and expansive ) and break them. Hoping for a huge victory and lots of positivity on Sunday. Let's go! No Mata and James please.
Well, there was that recent game against Newcastle...

HowYouDoin

I kinda wanna see him start Dan James just to see the meltdown on here and then sub him off after 5 minutes haha.

James Peril

Quality control
Solskjaer on title race
I think football has developed and so many clubs have developed strength in depth and the ability to challenge for the trophies, even though last two seasons you had two teams running away with it, I think this season a lot of us just underneath them would hope to put up a challenge, back then it was us or Arsenal, and then Chelsea came through. Now it’s more exciting for me and the fans that it’s not one of these two. Anything can happen this season with what’s happening around the world and we’re just taking one game at a time.”
He’s cute though. We’re a couple of places above the relegation zone, we’re basically one loss away from being out of the title race after 6-7 games, I’d hold the aspirational talk about winning trophies for a couple of weeks.

McTerminator

I'm almost certain that this team have come from behind to win a number of times under Ole, admittedly without looking it up...

Unless someone can correct me and tell me I imagined that, just forget those concerns, strap in and enjoy the ride while the going is good my friend

He’s cute though. We’re a couple of places above the relegation zone, we’re basically one loss away from being out of the title race after 6-7 games, I’d hold the aspirational talk about winning trophies for a couple of weeks.
Behave, It's insane to put much stead in league position five games into the league, but for the sake of argument...

We are currently six points above the relegation zone with a game in hand.

If we win our game in hand we go three points off top with 32 games (96 points) left to play.

I don't want to say the we are going to have a tilt at the title this season, but if the stars can align and Leicester can win the league, then so can the current Manchester United.

Last edited:

georgipep

You do realize he is asked questions and needs to answer them, right? Or would you prefer him saying that we don't have a chance at all?

georgipep

Nah was a bs rule designed to support the big clubs who have huge squads and dont want to dissappoint their players
The big clubs also play a lot more games because of European tournaments. Let's see how the 'small' clubs fare after Christmas when fatigue and the fixture congestion starts taking its toll..