Solskjær press conference vs Tranmere (A)

Matst1

Think people are being unfair on Ole, he’s had an injury crisis like no other, imagine having mctominay and pogba this whole time, we have about seven good players in this whole squad, most of them are out. Not his fault, klopp and pep would certainly struggle. So many fans just expect instant results, even though they know the team needs a lot of work. Just take a break for a while maybe?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
a- he genuinely believed that the kids will bail him out. There's a huge gap between first team football and reserve football
b- he fell in the trap were the owners first agree with the manager's vision on the condition that he sell players first only to fail to support him once the 'deadwood' is cleared.
Yes - and yes. Both could be true.

The hope that remains, however, is that there was a genuine understanding between Ole and Woodward that this would indeed be a (purely) transitional season, where the focus was on a) getting rid of players (unsuitable and/or on huge wages*) b) bringing in recruits according to a long-term plan and c) easing youngsters into the first team.

Do we believe this? No, not really - not fully. But like I've said before, if Woodward is ready to sack Ole for failing to secure CL football next season - well, what can you say? It's a new low - and remarkable, even for him. And some of the presumed goals above (easing in youth, not least - Greenwood, Williams, McTominay - have been reached more or less).

* They all are/were, relatively speaking.

Rooney24

Im not even sure that he has improved Fred as such. Fred is playing half decent now because injuries have forced Oles hand and allowed him to have a settled run in the team. Id honestly be more convinced its down to that than anything Ole has done.

Eleven-Eighteen

Will be great watching Martial look flummoxed as he tries to run past 3 players at a time, and refusing to make a timely pass

RedMachine03

Poster of Articles
https://twitter.com/utdreport
Solskjær: "We’ve spent loads of money in the past five or six seasons — and I’ve got to make sure with the club that when we spend the money now it’s on the right players and the right types, that will be here in the long run and will add quality now." #mulive [men]

Solskjær: "Football has changed, money has changed big time. Players to improve #mufc or the top teams are very expensive these days. What is error? Is it error when it takes a player from abroad spending a season getting acclimatised?" #mulive [men]

Solskjær: "People saying he’ll [Fred] never be good enough, I’ve read some of the nonsense which has been said. I think he proves now it’s very vital and important we have players here to perform but when players come in you can’t expect it straight away." #mulive [men]

Solskjær: "I have not seen many of my players getting their hoods up, hiding and trying to disappear. I can see loads of players that really want this to be a success and we put demands on ourselves behind the doors." #mulive

Solskjær: "I am not going to sit here and criticise my players. I will do that behind closed doors. We have open discussions there but we are not going to hang people out to dry, that is just common sense." #mulive [men]

Solskjær: "Some people do blame others. Some of us think we are better than others. For me it’s all about understanding the club — and I believe in the structure that’s been put in place here." #mulive [mirror]

Solskjær: "In the time I have been here, we have spent a lot of resources on scouting, recruiting and researching players to make sure we are comfortable when we sign them." #mulive [mirror]

Solskjær: "The club won’t sign a player without me accepting it. It’s down to me to say yes or no when the club finds a target." #mulive [mirror]

Solskjaer on Van Gaal and Mourinho complaining about the structure of the club: "It’s a skill to look yourself in mirror sometimes and not just blame others as well. That's what some of us do, blame others, some of us think we’re better than others.” #MUFC

Solskjær: "I really don’t fear for my position. I just keep on working. Of course you know you need results and to show you are doing the right things. But I won’t spend big money on someone to come in here now if they are not right for the club." #mulive [mirror]

Solskjær: "There’s always room for error in transfers because you can never be 100 per cent — and sometimes it just takes time." #mulive [mirror]

Solskjær: "When I sat down with the club, we all agreed that the culture had to change. It’s not like I’ve been told what we’re doing — we all agreed on these things when we signed contracts. We agreed a plan." #mulive [mirror]

Solskjær: "I have not thought: 'Oh, I wish I had kept him.' Some of those [players] we let go were not right for the culture I was trying to build. That is why we kept the players we know will run through a brick wall for the club — not everyone did." #mulive [mail]

Last edited:

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Solskjaer on Van Gaal and Mourinho complaining about the structure of the club: "It’s a skill to look yourself in mirror sometimes and not just blame others as well. That's what some of us do, blame others, some of us think we’re better than others.” #MUFC

Solskjær: "I really don’t fear for my position. I just keep on working. Of course you know you need results and to show you are doing the right things. But I won’t spend big money on someone to come in here now if they are not right for the club." #mulive [mirror]
With all due respect, how can you not fear your position after looking at yourself in the mirror... really.

Seij

Honestly feel like this could be another MK Dons game when we lost 4-0.
Nah, this is about time we get a win. Seems like every time the pressure on him really mounts high, we get a win and then everyone comes out to say "See, we're making progress".

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Solskjær: "When I sat down with the club, we all agreed that the culture had to change."
The height of irony.

Godfather

10:08
Why can't United spend so much money?
For me, we do have a way of doing things, you can see other teams have done well. You can see Jurgen spent four years building his team and they’re doing well now, it’s not gonna be a quick fix, and it’s not eight or 10 players in in one transfer window, we’ve had one proper transfer window and we are trying to do something now.
Jesus Christ...

Worth pointing out united have the second highest wage bill in world football and the highest wage bill ever recorded in the Premier league....for dross.

Fragile and inconsistent players are one of the reasons the club is struggling.

People threatening to stage a walk out is embarrassing. I cringe when I hear this sh*t. We would have laughed at Liverpool a decade ago for mouthing off about walkouts.

The culture is toxic and younger players are rightly avoiding the place.

The glimmer of hope I get is seeing high powered agents mouthing off against the club. If we are pissing them off we are going in the right direction.

Get rid of the deadwood, get in pros who will bleed for the shirt and you'll see results improve.

Ventura

It looks like the club are prepared (or planning) to take a(nother) bad season (or two) right now on the chin in the name of long term planning, slowly rebuilding and signing "the right" players plus clearing out the wrong ones. It's also a question of money. We have an outrageous wage bill for the quality of the squad and we're paying Sanchez £60-80+ million over his contract for doing bugger all. That sort of thing has to be holding us back and must be avoided at all costs in the future. We're pouring silly amounts of money down the drain and can't invest as much as if we hadn't been so stupid in the past. So it's understandable that we're very careful with any new signings. We've spent years digging a hole for ourselves and we're stuck in it for a while longer. That being said, our squad is forked right now and for the rest of the season and it's going to be a pain to watch.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
It looks like the club are prepared (or planning) to take a(nother) bad season (or two) right now on the chin in the name of long term planning, slowly rebuilding and signing "the right" players plus clearing out the wrong ones. It's also a question of money. We have an outrageous wage bill for the quality of the squad and we're paying Sanchez £60-80+ million over his contract for doing bugger all. That sort of thing has to be holding us back and must be avoided at all costs in the future. We're pouring silly amounts of money down the drain and can't invest as much as if we hadn't been so stupid in the past. So it's understandable that we're very careful with any new signings. We've spent years digging a hole for ourselves and we're stuck in it for a while longer. That being said, our squad is forked right now and for the rest of the season and it's going to be a pain to watch.
Indeed. But They forget one thing. When the next manager comes in, there will still be a lot of money being thrown around. Therefore the priority must be to back a manager fully, buy into his plans.

Even with Ole, They are still limiting his spending. So it's all bollocks.They have to cut their loses and We are about to enter a period of mediocrity unless if Ole pulls off a miracle.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Jesus Christ...
"Sir Alex has spent 25 years building Manchester United and see how successful they are now. It's not gonna be a quick fix and I need at least 20 years."
Ole - 'The Universe has had since time began to get where it is now. So, you know, it's not gonna be a quick fix to get back to where we need to be'.

"The Sun / Mirror / Sky Sports understands that the Glazers and Ed Woodward believe in Solskjaer's vision to create a team capable of winning a few games here and there with kick 'n' rush footy, so they're willing to back him until he reaches retirement age...

If things haven't improved by that point, Gareth Southgate will be wheeled out from his own retirement and put in charge".

Roboc7

It’s all talk and PR spin, they can’t preach about the right players when they made Maguire the most expensive defender of all time and have Phil Jones a new 4 year contract (on big wages I assume).

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Some of the response in this thread is bit unfair on Ole. He already had a thin squad and injuries to Scott and Pogba stretched it to the limits. This is the only complain I had as he should have swallowed his pride and kept players who he didnt want and then should have done squad rebuild without stretching squad. You can question whether he is qualified enough to do the job but questioning his intentions and calling him puppet of Glazers is bit too far as far as I am concerned.

Rashford injury is a big blow but with Pogba and Scott back, we can definitely get something out of this season. The amount of flak he took for Rashford injury was also incorrect as none of us had any knowledge of what actually happened and just went by newspaper stories.

Red00012

Or thereabouts.

The thing is he got an underperforming team performing almost immediately. He improved players. Then he went from there.

I cant think of a single player that Ole has improved.
:houllier:

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Tenner on Mark Robbins to get the only goal in a 1-0 win. And then a couple of decades of dominance.

Red00012

I honestly get what Ole is saying but Phil Jones was given a 4 plus 1 contract just before he sat down to discuss the culture of the club. Juan Mata was then given a 2 year contract when he’s clearly doesn’t have the quality anymore. I’m guessing he had options from other clubs for a 2 year contract so we just bend over.

I won’t add Maguire yet as it’s early days and he’s to deal with Lindelof and Jones alongside him, I reserve judgement until Axel is paired with him.