g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Solskjær press conference vs Tranmere (A)

MrBest

He shouldn't even mention the guy. The gulf between the two is too big. It makes him look silly.
Klopp had a clear style when he joined Liverpool. Ole does not. The guy is deluded and is playing football manager with us.

hobbers

Klopp's desired style was apparent from day one.

Ole's desired style is, as far as anyone can see, just to become like Leicester under Ranieri. Win the league by being counter attacking giant killers.

That's even less aspirational than parking the bus under Mourinho. At least his teams could score goals at home against the worst teams in the league. :lol:

meamth

His answers are literally basic NPC speeches. They don't answer anything or give you important information. The kind of speeches you encounter in Pokemon Battles. "I like comfy shorts! They're comfy and easy to wear".

What the feck did that have to do with the question
That's what professionals do, they are NPCs.

If you're hoping for the old times manager talking what they are thinking, then you should forget reading pressers.

Football press conferences is like WWE. Now we're in PG era.

Rooney24

Ole's desired style is, as far as anyone can see, just to become like Leicester under Ranieri. Win the league by being counter attacking giant killers.

That's even less aspirational than parking the bus under Mourinho. At least his teams could score goals at home against the worst teams in the league. :lol:
I made this point on here a while back. Someone absolutely ripped the head off me for it. Must go and dig that out again.

Woodzy

He literally has about four different responses that he just finds a different way of saying each press conference.

I like the guy and I imagine he’s getting tired of the same old shit just as much as we are, but I think at some point he needs to drop the act and just start being a bit more honest.

Rooney24

So 5 weeks then?
Or thereabouts.

The thing is he got an underperforming team performing almost immediately. He improved players. Then he went from there.

I cant think of a single player that Ole has improved.

Handsome Devil

Need for signings
I think our fans know what we have started on and I’ve been trusted to do that job and that rebuild doesn’t go one way all the time, it doesn’t just go we’re doing great, we’re doing great, said it so many times.

The foundation has to be laid and the culture has to be properly set and laid down and this group is a good core of players that believe in themselves and what we’re doing to carry us forward with signings and players coming back.

You need to knock the house down, you don’t just start with the roof, we’ve had some rainy days and wish that roof was on, but we can’t hide.
Yes, except the Glazers got in O'Reilly men again instead of Stubbs.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It is more about us being the 5th best team in the league. Expectations don’t just apply to Manchester United. If ‘other clubs have been dropping points’ then they have been worse than us if they are behind us. We haven’t been great, hence us being 5th and not 1st, but 5th is 5th. There’s no ‘5th that should really be 10th’. That’s just bollocks spin to fit an argument.
You do notice that we are at par points with 7th place wolves and just 4 points ahead of 14th place Newcastle? Irrespective of that we should have benefited of an upheaval which saw Chelsea suffering a transfer ban and 2 big clubs removing their manager mid way. Ole had all summer to prepare +we spent 130m. Despite all that we still had the worst start in 30 years. His record in terms of defeats worse then moyesy.. So seriously the least he compare him/us to Klopp's Liverpool the better. He's better off comparing us to souness or Evans liverpool instead

Last edited:

TrustInOle

• Solskjær SLAMS injury prone Bailly for being 'LAZY in his HEAD'

• Homeless Solskjær COMPLAINS about Manchester rain and wants SYMPATHY for being 'without a ROOF'

• Ruthless Solskjær DESTROYS £100m flop Pogba for 'not caring' as he labels homegrown superstar Rashford a ‘genuine Manchester United supporter'
Wow, should work for the mail. :lol:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
You do notice that we are at par points with 7th place wolves and just 4 points ahead of 14th place Newcastle? Irrespective of that we should have benefited of an upheaval which saw Chelsea suffering a transfer ban and 2 big clubs removing their manager mid way. Ole had all summer to prepare +we spent 130m. Despite all that we still had the worst start in 30 years. His record in terms of defeats worse then moyesy.
So what is your point exactly? That ‘technically we are not 5th, we are really 12th?’ I’m not saying we are great at all, or that we have been impressive. 5th in itself is not a fantastic achievement, but you can’t take 5th away from the team if they are 5th. By the same token, Chelsea in 5th are only 10 points from 14th. So what? They are 4th. And we are 5th. If he loses more games than Moyes this season and finishes 4th, it’s only a problem for those who want to move goalposts. Every season is different. Right now, 4th is the target and we are not there, but for a team chasing 4th place, there is no position in the league better than ours right now, that is a fact.

AneRu

You do notice that we are at par points with 7th place wolves and just 4 points ahead of 14th place Newcastle? Irrespective of that we should have benefited of an upheaval which saw Chelsea suffering a transfer ban and 2 big clubs removing their manager mid way. Ole had all summer to prepare +we spent 130m. Despite all that we still had the worst start in 30 years. His record in terms of defeats worse then moyesy.. So seriously the least he compare him/us to Klopp's Liverpool the better. He's better off comparing us to souness or Evans liverpool instead
Don't worry, people can defend him all they want but time will always reveal all. No one can hide away from time, I am sure by the end of the season everything will be clear one way or another and our true position will be apparent for all to see.

POF

Or thereabouts.

The thing is he got an underperforming team performing almost immediately. He improved players. Then he went from there.

I cant think of a single player that Ole has improved.
Not one? How about Rashford, McTominay, Fred, James, Williams, Greenwood? Even Pereira (poor as he is) is having his best season at the club and Martial looks like a genuine first choice number 9 for the first time in his United career.

Wan Bissaka has also shown progress in his attacking play over the last few games. He's gone from absolutely useless to less useless but it's progress nonetheless.

gica_7

Ole is doing his job fantastically. The problem is, we all expect him to be United's manager but he is Glazer's manager. He should have never been the manager of this club, he knows it and acts accordingly.

It pains me to say this. Ole was one of my favourite players growing up. Too bad it came down to this.

devilish

So what is your point exactly? That ‘technically we are not 5th, we are really 12th?’ I’m not saying we are great at all, or that we have been impressive. 5th in itself is not a fantastic achievement, but you can’t take 5th away from the team if they are 5th. By the same token, Chelsea in 5th are only 10 points from 14th. So what? They are 4th. And we are 5th. If he loses more games than Moyes this season and finishes 4th, it’s only a problem for those who want to move goalposts. Every season is different. Right now, 4th is the target and we are not there, but for a team chasing 4th place, there is no position in the league better than ours right now, that is a fact.
What I am saying is that we had all the cards to exploit an EPL league in turmoil nearly in the same way Liverpool are doing. Our manager has been here for months, he knows the squad, they know him and we spent 130m on players ole wanted. Instead we are at par points to 7th place wolves and we are just 4 points away from 14th place Newcastle. The gap between us and 4th Chelsea is bigger then that between us and Newcastle which is disgusting considering that Frank started last summer and he couldn't buy new players.

This is our worst start in 30 years and Ole had suffered more defeats to Moyes. There is no way anyone can positive spin that

romufc

Not one? How about Rashford, McTominay, Fred, James, Williams, Greenwood? Even Pereira (poor as he is) is having his best season at the club and Martial looks like a genuine first choice number 9 for the first time in his United career.

Wan Bissaka has also shown progress in his attacking play over the last few games. He's gone from absolutely useless to less useless but it's progress nonetheless.
In all fairness to Ole, this is a very young team. How many of these would have experienced anything like this?
AWB is in his 2nd year of professional football,
McT first full season
Williams first full season
Greenwood first full season
Fred just adapting
James 2nd full season

Apart from Mata, DDG, Maguire, Pogba and maybe Rashford none of the players have played for a club where the pressure is so high to deliver weekly.

Players like Perreira, Lingard, Shaw, Lindelof, Matic, Martial are all good players but they are not able to deliver performances on a consistent basis. (Except Lingard)

But that is the problem, we are expecting these players to turn up weekly, I am afraid it is not going to happen.

Smores

This is really desperate stuff. If we're 5th at the end of the season then yeah who cares about points, well apart from those who deride our 2nd place finish i guess.

At the moment being 4pts above 14th placed Newcastle is a very important and telling indicator of where we are and not one to excuse with some meaningless current position.

I'm fairly confident if we were lower in the table but 4 points off 4th this would become very relevant to you more so than our position.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
What I am saying is that we had all the cards to exploit an EPL league in turmoil nearly in the same way Liverpool are doing. Our manager has been here for months, he knows the squad, they know him and we spent 130m on players ole wanted. Instead we are at par points to 7th place wolves and we are just 4 points away from 14th place Newcastle. The gap between us and 4th Chelsea is bigger then that between us and Newcastle which is disgusting considering that Frank started last summer and he couldn't buy new players.

This is our worst start in 30 years and Ole had suffered more defeats to Moyes. There is no way anyone can positive spin that
And what I am saying is despite all that, we are still 5th and still in the EL. At the end of the season, we could finish 4th and 8 points from 14th - so what?

It’s also not that every other side had issues this season apart from us, so we had some sort of free run. We had a thin squad, and have been extremely unkind with injuries this season, otherwise we almost certainly have made up the 6 points on Chelsea had we had Pogba, Martial, Shaw and McTominay all season. I’m not making excuses, I don’t think I need to. We still have an excellent chance to achieve our objectives for the season. Even if we manage that, it will have been a difficult season, largely because we are not that great in the first place, and secondly, we have lost every top quality outfield player we have for at least 2 months. But we will have made it, which means that we have been better than those who did not make it. We desperately need to strengthen, but from everything I am hearing, the club isn’t in denial about that fact. I am hopeful we can qualify for the CL one way or another next season. None of the detail of this season will matter then. What will matter is where we go from there in the summer and next season. You seem fixated on the detail. I am mainly concerned with us achieving our target.

As I said, I am hopeful. Not confident, but hopeful, as I will remain so long as we are one place away from our target and still in the EL. Fans talk about character a lot, but many don’t have the bottle for a fight themselves. Maybe because they are not used to them supporting United. We could be 4 points off 4th with months to go you will read ‘forget it’ , ‘season’s finished’ and variations of throughout the caf. We can only hope our players and manager are not as spineless as that.

Water Melon

Comedy gold.

Pogba shows he cares by wearing red trainers at the Paris fashion week
Or maybe it was tongue in cheek by Ole. In any case, looks like Paul will leave in the summer. Hopefully, we will get decent amount for Pogba and buy a couple of midfielders who will not let us miss him.

Nickelodeon

Where does he get all the rainy days quotes from? Every time we lose, it's about culture, right direction, players believing in themselves etc. etc. Nothing tangible. What the feck! These can be applied to literally any situation for any club.

el3mel

Need for signings
I think our fans know what we have started on and I’ve been trusted to do that job and that rebuild doesn’t go one way all the time, it doesn’t just go we’re doing great, we’re doing great, said it so many times.

The foundation has to be laid and the culture has to be properly set and laid down and this group is a good core of players that believe in themselves and what we’re doing to carry us forward with signings and players coming back.

You need to knock the house down, you don’t just start with the roof, we’ve had some rainy days and wish that roof was on, but we can’t hide.
That's an ultra stupid strategy for a rebuild project.

Dan_F

Not to mention everyone knew before a ball was kicked how Klopp was going to try and play. He’d already had plenty of success in Germany playing that way.

devilish

And what I am saying is despite all that, we are still 5th and still in the EL. At the end of the season, we could finish 4th and 8 points from 14th - so what?

It’s also not that every other side had issues this season apart from us, so we had some sort of free run. We had a thin squad, and have been extremely unkind with injuries this season, otherwise we almost certainly have made up the 6 points on Chelsea had we had Pogba, Martial, Shaw and McTominay all season. I’m not making excuses, I don’t think I need to. We still have an excellent chance to achieve our objectives for the season. Even if we manage that, it will have been a difficult season, largely because we are not that great in the first place, and secondly, we have lost every top quality outfield player we have for at least 2 months. But we will have made it, which means that we have been better than those who did not make it. We desperately need to strengthen, but from everything I am hearing, the club isn’t in denial about that fact. I am hopeful we can qualify for the CL one way or another next season. None of the detail of this season will matter then. What will matter is where we go from there in the summer and next season. You seem fixated on the detail. I am mainly concerned with us achieving our target.

As I said, I am hopeful. Not confident, but hopeful, as I will remain so long as we are one place away from our target and still in the EL. Fans talk about character a lot, but many don’t have the bottle for a fight themselves. Maybe because they are not used to them supporting United. We could be 4 points off 4th with months to go you will read ‘forget it’ , ‘season’s finished’ and variations of throughout the caf. We can only hope our players and manager are not as spineless as that.
Please note that you were the one obsessing with the 5th place thing not me. And for the record we are closer to 7th place (we're at par points to Wolves) or even 14th place (4 points away from Newcastle) then 4th place Chelsea (6 points away from us).

Regarding the thin squad, well, the board has alot to answer to that as well. However let's be honest here.

a- Ole gave his go ahead for Lukaku, Sanchez, Smalling and now Young to leave the club.
b- He was the guy who thought that the likes of Chong and Gomes were ready to step in, something that backfired spectacularly. That lead to us relying heavily on our few good players which lead to wear and tear and injuries
c- He was also the guy who spent a looping 130m on 2 decent but hardly world class players instead of going for cheaper options who would have been just as good. Leicester must be laughing their way to the bank.
d- he changed our fitness regime to a high tempo football which meant that players would get tired earlier in the season.

At this time of writing we had our worst league start in the EPL for the past 30 years , Ole's captain had just left the club, our best player wants to leave same as the likes of Chong and Gomes, we are losing players to injury left right and center and his former player is scoring hat tricks at Dortmund after showing him the middle finger. Ah, I almost forgot, despite that he's expected to be given time because of Klopp or something.

RedIan

We’ll see if he gets us to the EL final this season shall we? Klopp wasn’t in the top 4 his first season either, Ole is currently 5th, not 10th. I believe they finished 7th (Liverpool). They could not have possibly come 7th by being more impressive than we have been so far this season. The only difference has been pressure and expectation.
5th? Don’t be fooled. It flatters to deceive, due to how erratic the usual candidates are.

We are 4 points above 14th place, 4 points above Burnley who were relegation favourites just over a week ago.

We are 2 losses away from relegation fodder and unless we get a striker and playmaker in the remaining 7 days of this window, we will be in the thick of it.

Bestietom

Please note that you were the one obsessing with the 5th place thing not me. And for the record we are closer to 7th place (we're at par points to Wolves) or even 14th place (4 points away from Newcastle) then 4th place Chelsea (6 points away from us).

Regarding the thin squad, well, the board has alot to answer to that as well. However let's be honest here.

a- Ole gave his go ahead for Lukaku, Sanchez, Smalling and now Young to leave the club.
b- He was the guy who thought that the likes of Chong and Gomes were ready to step in, something that backfired spectacularly. That lead to us relying heavily on our few good players which lead to wear and tear and injuries
c- He was also the guy who spent a looping 130m on 2 decent but hardly world class players instead of going for cheaper options who would have been just as good. Leicester must be laughing their way to the bank.
d- he changed our fitness regime to a high tempo football which meant that players would get tired earlier in the season.

At this time of writing we had our worst league start in the EPL for the past 30 years , Ole's captain had just left the club, our best player wants to leave same as the likes of Chong and Gomes, we are losing players to injury left right and center and his former player is scoring hat tricks at Dortmund after showing him the middle finger. Ah, I almost forgot, despite that he's expected to be given time because of Klopp or something.
Ole should have demanded players in before players leaving.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Or just defending in General.
We're not shit at defending in general, statistically. Quite the opposite, in fact.

But we are shit at defending set plays. We concede more from corners than almost any team in the league.

And - yes - someone should ask him about that. Because unless you put it all down to coincidence, that's a matter of coaching, fielding an organized defence with clear role assignments, etc.

devilish

Ole should have demanded players in before players leaving.
Of course he should. He fell to the two oldest tricks in football

a- he genuinely believed that the kids will bail him out. There's a huge gap between first team football and reserve football
b- he fell in the trap were the owners first agree with the manager's vision on the condition that he sell players first only to fail to support him once the 'deadwood' is cleared.

There again its normal for inexperienced managers to fall for tricks like that.

Also we need to stop calling the likes of Lukaku and Smalling deadwood. Jones is deadwood, Bailly is deadwood, Mata is deadwood not Lukaku and Smalling. The former was a regular goalscorer for us while the latter flirted between being our 1st and 3rd best CB.