Solskjaer, Arteta, Lampard and the 'Manager in/Manager out' culture

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I’m not sure Brighton qualifies for this in/out culture.

In 11 years we’ve had 5 managers. One, Garcia, resigned after a year, while the only other short lived one was Hyypia, who was the worst manager ever, he was sacked. The others Poyet and Hughton both stayed for more than 4 years and of course Potter is in the job right now.

Watford right now are a great example of why you shouldn’t switch managers at the drop of a hat.Soton wouldn’t have changed so much if it were purely the clubs choice, I’ll give you Leicester, but again they hardly have a reputation for hiring and firing.
You guys are kind of a good example though. You appointed a dud in Hyypia but quickly realised your error and sacked him, you found the right man in Hughton but eventually saw his tenure was running it's course and acted before it was too late.

Of course a manager with medium/long term stability is the ideal I think every single football fan and owner is on the same page with that one, but sticking with the wrong man to hunt for said stability or sticking with a manager who's gone stale out of gratitude is about as far from stability as it's possible to get.

I think clubs in general actually lack ruthlessness when it comes to accepting something is broken and ironically it's probably a big reason why many clubs can't seem to find a suitable medium/long term manager. It's worth remembering two of the few clubs currently with that managerial stability in City and Liverpool got Pep and Klopp respectively because they were sharp in letting their manager's go. Other clubs would have been like "we can't sack Pellegrini he gave us the title" or "Brendan got us in the title race against all odds just over 12 months ago, he deserves time to fix this", then compare that to Arsenal who stuck with Wenger when they could have been ruthless and maybe got one of them two.

Last edited:

Benitez and houllier both built competitive liverpool sides that challenged for and won some trophies. If that's hopeless I would argue your standards are too high and you will be forever unhappy.
Au contraire Longshanks, when the likes of Houllier and Benitez are managing Liverpool I’m always happy, just as Liverpool were/are watching Big Ron or LvG.
My unhappiness is when the likes of Klopp are in the scouse hot seat.

It’s a weird debate when posters are arguing that people who managed the second biggest club in the country for 6 years and managed one attempt at a title race in that time is anything other than hopeless.

Smores

I don't really get the assertion that the OP is making. Bringing in a young unproven manager isn't any more building for the future than with hiring a more proven manager.

There isn't extra space afforded to these managers to learn on the job just because they're young. They've been brought in to build for the future sure but that's to build the team not to build their capabilities. Like any manager if they're not performing and don't look like they'll work long term they'll be sacked, that decision is always going to be a judgement call.

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
There is one question that always comes to my mind when I read so many posts on here. Why do you watch football? There's no logical benefit to any of us following a team. Whether Utd win the league or get relegated, I still gotta get up in the morning, do my job, deal with all my problems and so on. The benefit of following a team, at least in my eyes, is to feel that sense of belonging with your fellow fans and your team. There is no logic in grown adults avidly following 22 guys in shorts running after a ball while following arbitrarily created rules. Its all about emotion.

So when I see people on here saying what's Ole done to deserve our support, well he has an existing emotional bond with us, and that is more important than any trophies he might win. Ole is one of ours (just as Lampard is one of Chelsea's) and anything we win with him will be far more meaningful than anything we would have won with Jose, because we all knew he wasn't one of us. It's the same with players, Zlatan may be a better player, but Rashford will always make us happier than Zlatan ever would, simply again because Marcus is one of our own. Bruno feels one of our own because we see him buying into the ethos of our club, while Pogba, despite being an academy lad, and more talented than him, never really feels like he's Utd through and through.

So yes Ole and Lampard and Arteta deserve the time because they earned that feeling of belonging with the fans during their playing days. Football is all about emotion and if you wanna take all of it out and replace it with logic, then there's no reason to support any club that isn't winning. PSG is a perfect example of this. Win the league every year, have some of the best players, but you don't hear anyone saying they support PSG. Why? Because that's a club that took all emotion out of it and is now just an unlikable husk which no one gives a damn about.