Solskjaer presser vs Bournemouth

Seven Seas Sardines

I am 100% sure I've read Valencia speaks English to the other players. Just not confident enough to speak it in public and half of the people complaining don't even speak a second language.
Great, a captain who isn't comfortable speaking English in public. That confidence will give lots of inspiration!

Paul_Scholes18

Come on now United. Lets keep playing some great football. Give our players a chance to find form and find the flow again. We are Man United and we need to show the power of unity and cooperation. United in love we can win again!

klsv

Enough for me

Also, here's him clapping hands together enthusiastically while understanding English, like a captain

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He played better with Ecuador, so I'm expecting a better performance from the Captain. It's amazing what having a positive manager can do to fans faith.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
For those of you that reckon he can speak english. This is him last year
the chap who reckoned I made it up you can apologise now
There you go...irrefutable, definitive proof that the man doesn't speak English! Sarri recently used an interpreter for an interview. People still thinking that Valencia can't get by after all this time in England need to get real.

Great and positive comments by Solskjaer. Will be great having Sanchez, Lukaku and Martial back next week.

ChaddyP

Enough for me

Also, here's him clapping hands together enthusiastically while understanding English, like a captain
Best captain in the world. Look at those claps. Jordan Henderson .. Eat your heart out

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Quinton Fortune confirmed on MUTV that Valencia spoke English very well, after a caller had asked about Valencia not speaking the language.

Shiva87

I don't think most people who are critical of Valencia really give a hoot whether he's the symbolic captain or not, or whether he can speak English. What I care about is how poor he is on the ball and how detrimental he has been to high tempo attacking football. It isn't a new thing - he's always been quite poor on the ball and terrible at crossing - but it's really been in the last 4-5 seasons that his deficiencies have turned us into such a lop-sided team going forward.

At Wigan, and at United pre-injury, his weaknesses were compensated for by his pace, power and aggression. And his shitty deliveries were compensated by the fact his aggression got him into so many crossing opportunities he could afford to mess up most of them and still finish the match with an assist. But about half a season after his comeback from injury his confidence in running at defenders seemed to take a big knock, and as a result his crossing opportunities really diminished. And with that he seemed to lose all confidence in his shin-smashers as well. This marked the birth of "turnaround Toni".

This was obviously partly why SAF moved him to right-back. He probably also thought that if Valencia wasnt going to make the most of his pace and power on the ball, he might at least make use of it off the ball. But it still meant we had a right back who would receive the ball in advanced areas, dither with it, slow everything down, only to turn tail and play it back into midfield, repeat ad infinitum. He's done okay defensively at full back, again due to his physicality, but in the modern game that is far from enough.
Good post - but it is only criticizing Valencia for his lack of crossing prowess.

While I agree with the injury etc, the big difference is that he is actually the best RB (defensively) that we have in the squad. He has had some brilliant seasons in that position - and has also developed great positional awareness.

He is still very good at carrying the ball up the pitch - and always takes the team 10-15 yards forward. Now, that's where the problem starts - i.e. the turnarounds. My view is that this was common because he was being coached to be conservative. With 4-5 players in the box, and the manager encouraging expression - he might start crossing regularly again.

That's why I think he deserves a chance!

MuFc_1992

Were the past three managers actually encouraging Valencia to those low crosses to avoid losing position and be less vulnerable to counter attacks? I know it's a crazy theory but We'll know for sure if he continues doing the same under ole.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
True, but he's easily earned the right to be our first choice RB.

Valencia's last few performances under Jose were shockingly bad. You do have to wonder whether it was a fitness/"I hate Jose" issue or his legs have gone. His performance against Valencia in the CL was one of the worst I've seen in a long time.
I'm not sure you can take much from that given how many players last few performances under mourinho were shockingly bad.

Young won't be able to play every game and will be back at left back soon seeing as Shaw is prone to injury and also seems to have refound his appetite for pies