g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Solskjaer presser vs Bournemouth

klsv

Squad update
We’ve not had a lot of training since so we had yesterday off, today’s the first day back. Rom, Anthony and Alexis were light yesterday so hopefully they can join part of the training today, let’s see how they come through. Marcos and Scott look like they can take part soon. Smalling’s got a sore foot so I don’t think we’ll see him until the New Year, maybe not before Spurs, probably, but you never know.
On improving
There are things we need to improve we are in this position for a reason, we’ve not been consistent, not been able to keep clean sheets, not scored enough goals, conceded two goals on set pieces now, now but the open play of defending has been good but we need to get back to the habit of not conceding goals. There’s loads of things, in a team of football you always look to things to improve on. I’m coming from the outside, it’s hard to make a difference, my job has been to speak to the players, know their feelings, confidence levels, every single one has a responsibility to improve.
On getting the best out of players
I think you put it the wrong way, I cannot do anything for their performances on the pitch, Paul has done it, my chats with Anthony, Rom, Alexis, I’m here to give them on the path and it’s up to them to do it on the pitch. I don’t agree that I’ve done that with Paul. It’s up to them when they get a chance that’s the name of the game as a footballer, you’ve got to do it yourself, I gave some guidelines of course on expression, freedom of expression but that’s how I’ve always been as a manager you can’t tell what the players to do in this position. They are here for a reason it’s up to them to use their imagination and creativity just enjoy playing for this club, that’s the best time of your life, but it’s not a bad time to be manager for a while.
On PogPlay
I think Paul’s a top top player. He’s one of the best top top players in the world, attacking wise he’s done really well but he’s a big lad, can win headers, tackles, he’s been the same as the others. The attitude has been perfect and that’s key, you should be tired towards the end of every single game he’s been top class and we’re looking to build a team around of course but there are so many quality players.
Captain situation
Antonio is the captain when fit, hes going through a couple of tough sessions now to get him ready for the busy period, there are not many more better right backs going forward with his abilities so you’ll see him wearing his band.

Zlatattack

I hope he's just being nice about Valenica and doesn't actually plan to play him.

Devil may care

Other than the bit about Valencia that was good stuff, and I get the Valencia comments it's just he's a useless Captain and clearly well past his best as a player, so hopefully Ole was just being nice and using more good man management.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Thanks for posting those. I know we've seen some of the headline catching stuff in other threads, but it's good to see the source story. I'm not as optimistic as he is about seeing Valencia come good when he's back to 100%, but we'll see - as long as he doesn't get stuck on playing out of form players in the hopes of something changing, I'll be happy.

Useful updates on our injury situation for the lineup prediction game as well.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
In fairness to Tony, he may still be quite useful playing further up the pitch. I wouldn't be against seeing him starting at RB - every player deserves a chance.

Snafu17

Did anyone really think he's going to change the captain mid-season?

Escape Goat

Supports
Forest
No point upsetting Valencia when his most important and difficult job is building up a team spirit after the poisonous Portugueser did his best to destroy it. Captaincy is a matter for the summer.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I hope he's just being nice about Valenica and doesn't actually plan to play him.
Other than the bit about Valencia that was good stuff, and I get the Valencia comments it's just he's a useless Captain and clearly well past his best as a player, so hopefully Ole was just being nice and using more good man management.
OMG, what's with the hate for Valencia?

How many players in our squad can claim to have played really well over the last 3 years or so? Only DDG springs to mind.

Valencia is a senior player who deserves respect. Whether he's 1st choice depends on what the coaches see in training.Let's just wait

Shark

@NotShark
In fairness to Tony, he may still be quite useful playing further up the pitch. I wouldn't be against seeing him starting at RB - every player deserves a chance.
What baffles me about Valencia is despite his decline, he still gets into some good positions, but has forgotten how to cross a ball since 2009.

Weird player.

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
What baffles me about Valencia is despite his decline, he still gets into some good positions, but has forgotten how to cross a ball since 2009.

Weird player.
He's been touched by Ole so that's all past. Watch him banging cross after cross when back as if last 9 years didn't happen.

Devil may care

How many players in our squad can claim to have played really well over the last 3 years or so? Only DDG springs to mind.

Valencia is a senior player who deserves respect. Whether he's 1st choice depends on what the coaches see in training.Let's just wait
Chill, I didn't kill your father! ;)

It's got nothing to do with respect or Mourinho, it's clear to the eye how much Valencia has regressed, can't cross, can't beat a man, is mediocre defensively, he's basically a poorer version of Ashley Young at this point, Ole isn't a magician that will make every player better, some of these players have been deadwood for quite some time, regardless of who the manager is.

luke511

Quite obvious how much he fills the players with belief, saying all the right things.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I really can’t wait until I never have to read about Valencia again. He’s been a good servant to the club but enough is enough.

Totally understandable from Ole though, just hope Dalot starts to play more and keeps his place.

scoi

He's coming across very positive since joining and the players are responding. It will be interesting to see his approach when a result goes badly or a player performs below par.

He's even made me want to see what Valencia and Lukaku can bring, the man has some super powers.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
He's going to give everyone a fresh slate. If he doesn't perform then I'm sure he'll be phased out.

red thru&thru

AV needs to be given a fair chance, just like all the other players. A bit harsh writing him off already. Let's just wait and see how he does?!

Redrich91

I for one am actually looking forward to seeing Valencia. He's solid defensively and gets in the right forward positions. He will come good and be useful in our fast high pressing system. Mark my words.

Reactions: golden_blunder

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's going to give everyone a fresh slate. If he doesn't perform then I'm sure he'll be phased out.
Nothing wrong with that but to be made captain in when he has shown zero leadership qualities is not the way to go. Sounds like Valencia will walk back into the team too, which I don't really agree with it. It's time for us to move on from the likes of Valencia.

Unlike Mourinho though, I'm willing to give Solskjaer the benefit of the doubt.

Zlatattack

Played is the key word here. He's been pretty poor recently. Still a decent defender but no end product going forwards.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Nothing wrong with that but to be made captain in when he has shown zero leadership qualities is not the way to go. Sounds like Valencia will walk back into the team too, which I don't really agree with it. It's time for us to move on from the likes of Valencia.

Unlike Mourinho though, I'm willing to give Solskjaer the benefit of the doubt.
He's already captain!

AgentP

Valencia could yet be useful. Everyone should get a chance to prove themselves after Jose.

RedDevil@84

If Matic can look better, so can Valencia or Lukaku. Yes, things won't be perfect, but yes he can look better than the dross he has been putting out recently I guess. One can always hope :D

Besides Ole had said everyone has a chance and starts on a clean slate. I don't see any reason why Valencia shouldn't get the opportunity. Playing Dalot who is young and coming from different injuries in each and every match is not something I want to see.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
I think he is being smart and tactful with the captain. It can be an emotive subject and in reality it can often be over played. There are more important things to focus on. This will be one of those things that falls into position in due course and that might be retirement of Valencia.

Jinn

Ole is not going to put down any of his players in public. He's learnt from SAF, and SAF hardly ever spoke negatively about his players in public.
Now that that's cleared up, we shouldn't expect Ole to be all truthful in his press conference...also a leaf from SAF's management book.
He knows that Valencia is almost done as a player, why not get the best out of him in the next few months. His job is to get the best out of these players till the end of the season.

Mick1

Never gotten it. Valencia is, and by quite a margin, my favourite united player. When some players fall out with the manager, such as Paul, many poeple will stand by them and start finding reasons why the manager is at fault for both performances and effort, and yet when our longest serving player, a player that has been here for over 10 years and has given nothing less than 100% over that period, whilst being a model professional both on the pitch and off it struggles under mourinho, he s a vile captain.

He might not be the most talented player in the squad, but he s been here for over 10 years and im fully behind him getting a contract extension that would allow him to finish his career here. Maybe a pay as you play contract of some sort.

I really want united to be the type of club that does not push long servants out, and allow them to retire here whilst being a positive influence on up and comers. Their experience and calming influence will be a very big help in the tumultuous period we re going through and i certainly dont want the ferdinand treatment branded about to the oldies.

fallengt

We should stop wasting time with Valencia, Phil Jones, Rojo already.
Ole is just interim manager but the last 3 managers, they gave deadwood too much time until it became obvious that some players were just not United quality

Cardozo

I’m surprised at the reaction to Valencia being captain here. I can’t think of a better captain available at the club at the moment. Especially in a period where we are repairing what was a rapidly sinking ship.

The only other players guaranteed a start in our current set-up, who may fit the bill, are De Gea and Pogba. There’s an argument for De Gea but he seems quite a quiet reserved guy and Pogba is still too immature and more a friend to his team mates.

It’s a role which has more weight off the pitch than on it and therefore Valencia with his experience and time at the club gets my vote. Players should earn the captaincy and hopefully the next owner will show himself soon because admittedly Valencia is coming to the end of his career.

Reactions: sizzling sausages

Jonno

I presume he's just being tactful and it's quality man management. No one can rate Valencia that highly in 2018.
Absolutely this. He's way past his best but still good enough to be in the squad this season.

Not sure why fans would want Solskjaer to come in and start dropping people and stripping them of their armband mid-season, especially when he's one of your longest serving players.

Mick1

Yes, leadership qualities are judged by how hard you can shout in flawless english.
Players respect Valencia. He s quiet, professional, hard working, and has had a very good career at the club. Leadership comes in different types, and we all know that.

Zidane was not any less of a leader because he was quiet, it was his " aura". But since hating on Valencia is very fashionable, people will write absolute t**** about abstract concepts such as leadwrship qualities, that are significantly better understood when seing the person s interaction with the others players, and how respected/ highly thought of he is.

Smores

Yes, leadership qualities are judged by how hard you can shout in flawless english.
Players respect Valencia. He s quiet, professional, hard working, and has had a very good career at the club. Leadership comes in different types, and we all know that.

Zidane was not any less of a leader because he was quiet, it was his " aura". But since hating on Valencia is very fashionable, people will write absolute t**** about abstract concepts such as leadwrship qualities, that are significantly better understood when seing the person s interaction with the others players, and how respected/ highly thought of he is.
And you know his leadership qualities how exactly?

I'm genuinely intrigued as i don't think I've ever witnessed anything from him that comes close to being leadership.

Mick1

And you know his leadership qualities how exactly?

I'm genuinely intrigued as i don't think I've ever witnessed anything from him that comes close to being leadership.
Again, I dont know, which is why i dont come up with statements such as" he is/ isnt a good leader". I never saw Paul as a leader as he always seemed too goofy and immature, and yet he showed with france what he could do. I think the manager and fellow players have much more knowledge as to who has " leadership qualities".

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Changing captain half-way through the season is a big slap in the face to Valencia, a move that wouldn't be appreciated I'm sure.

Another excellent press conference. Is Fergie feeding him his lines?

fallengt

Imagine when players need a motivational speech from Valencia n halftime to lift their mood. It'd cure insomnia for some

RedDevil@84

Some of the people suggesting that Ole should insult Valencia by stripping him of captaincy mid-season :lol::lol::lol:

OldTrevil

Yeah I also hope it's because he doesn't want to create any early commotion and is planning to give him enough rope to hang himself. Not only is Valencia past his best, he has always been a limited footballer who was just all pace and strength with the usual predictable cutback. I don't see a manager that requires skill at the fullback position using him for a sustained period.