Solskjaer target 5 signings; 6 players could leave [BBC, Telegraph, Guardian]

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Looks like the press is briefed.

- Solskjaer wanted RB, CB, Versatile forward, 1 or 2 midfielders depending on Mata and Herrera.
- Sancho, AWB, CHO, Koulibaly, Varane, Rice mentioned as possible targets.
- BBC reported, ManUtd source said Herrera has agreed to join PSG
- Telegraph reported ManUtd have no intention to sell De Gea and are hopeful of signing contract
- Guardian reported ManUtd might sell De Gea if he doesn't sign contract.
- Sanchez, Mata, Herrera, Darmian, Valencia, Rojo all could leave. Bailly also depending on the CBs we sign.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...ed-huge-summer-overhaul-ole-gunnar-solskjaer/
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...hez-manchester-united-exodus-de-gea-solskjaer
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/47805207

Hopefully we show the intent in the market this summer. We have lot of players who are not contributing, have to clear the squad and sign better players who can improve the first 11.

Needham

"Hi, We're Manchester United. We are the richest club in the world. How much of our money would you like?"

JohnnyKills

- Solskjaer wanted RB, CB, Versatile forward, 1 or 2 midfielders depending on Mata and Herrera.
- Telegraph reported ManUtd have no intention to sell De Gea and are hopeful of signing contract
- Sanchez, Mata, Herrera, Darmian, Valencia, Rojo all could leave. Bailly also depending on the CBs we sign.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/footbal...ed-huge-summer-overhaul-ole-gunnar-solskjaer/
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...hez-manchester-united-exodus-de-gea-solskjaer

Hopefully we show the intent in the market this summer. We have lot of players who are not contributing, have to clear the squad and sign better players who can improve the first 11.
All very sensible and constructive. Would suggest we need two CBs but there we go.

Interesting Pogba not among the possible 'outs'.

roonster09

Scout
Also according to Ducker, Solskjaer wants British core to his side.

Makes sense, also going by targets mentioned it might be true. AWB, Sancho, CHO, Rice.

An Irish Red

Makes sense, also going by targets mentioned it might be true. AWB, Sancho, CHO, Rice.
I think Wan Bissaka and Rice are absolutely nailed on signings; I'm convinced that we'll target them and I can't see why we wouldn't be successful.

I'm not sold on Rice, though if Ole wants him then I'm all for it obviously, but I think Wan Bissaka could be a fantastic signing. His defensive ability is top class.

Coops73

Wouldn’t say no to any of these and that Saul fella looks a player too but that’s a lot of money to be spent there and I just don’t see it happening. Hope I’m wrong though.

Hawks2008

Interesting, we do need a big window so fingers cross the club is this ambitious in the window. Still unsure on Rice though, feel we need a more technical player at the base of midfield.

roonster09

Scout
Wouldn’t say no to any of these and that Saul fella looks a player too but that’s a lot of money to be spent there and I just don’t see it happening. Hope I’m wrong though.
Telegraph reported AWB might be available for 40 million, that's a decent price for both parties considering he will be 3rd highest for a FB.

Not sure about all other players though, they might be for a big fee. Doubt Rice will go for very big fee.

Grande

Not convinced. We are not getting Varane if Zidane doesn’t want it. Spending alot on Wan Bissaka makes little sense with Dalot the same age bracket. CHO for big money when he prefers to play left? Sancho or Odoi would be very exciting, but I wouldn’t be expecting us to challenge consistently the first year with say Martial, Rashford, Sancho and Lukaku playing most games up front (more to do with experience and consistency than quality of course). Rice for Herrera would be an expensive like for like, and would again leave us very young. It would be very interesting in a three year perspective, but I would expect a good round of unexpected or frustrating losses.

More than that, though, I really hope though that we don’t go for five almost first choice players if the alternative is two or three first choice players.

OleGunnar20

I think Wan Bissaka and Rice are absolutely nailed on signings; I'm convinced that we'll target them and I can't see why we wouldn't be successful.

I'm not sold on Rice, though if Ole wants him then I'm all for it obviously, but I think Wan Bissaka could be a fantastic signing. His defensive ability is top class.
Interesting, we do need a big window so fingers cross the club is this ambitious in the window. Still unsure on Rice though, feel we need a more technical player at the base of midfield.
Agreed on Rice, I think its too soon to rule out a worst case Rodwell / best case Dier trajectory just yet, despite the obvious potential. I think we need someone with more ability on the ball at the base unless we rejig the dynamic in front.

The rest sound great, although won't AWB put a bit of a spanner in Dalot and possibly Laird's development? Both look like talented options at RB to me.

Reactions: jojojo

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
5 sounds good. It's just about right for the first summer under new management too.

Fine with that but is Rice really technically good enough for the dominant team we want to become? If he isn't, Matic, McTom, and Rice being limited alongwith Fred being raw, may be an issue. I think we need a midfielder who is genuinely excellent on the ball.

roonster09

Scout
5 sounds good. It's just about right for the first summer under new management too.

Fine with that but is Rice really technically good enough for the dominant team we want to become? If he isn't, Matic, McTom, and Rice being limited alongwith Fred being raw, may be an issue. I think we need a midfielder who is genuinely excellent on the ball.
Yeah agree with your point. I'm not sure how good Rice is on the ball. We need midfielder like Carrick who can control the game.

Chairman Steve

Great news to wake up too. It’s what is ideally needed and hopefully they’re going to follow through on it. Ideal year to do it with no summer tournament to get in the way and hike up prices.

Great time also to get a British core going, with a lot of good British talent coming through recently that even the likes of Bayern are peering over to see if they can get in on the action.

Armchair Manager

Supports
Northampton
I dont think, doing a mass change of squad will be fruitful, neither is it viable. United surely can sell upto 6 but signing 5-7 will create imbalance. Even with all the money at Man city. It took pep 2 years to get the players he needed and ine more year to get the team he needed. Ofcourse man utd has the resources and money but you guys will need to move lot of dead wood. Man Utd i believe was paying the most wages while having one of the worst squads among top six.

jesperjaap

Thing is, last season I remember very similar story leading up to the summer 8 was being talked about strongly with players named to leave and something like 6 in with a big war chest of £200-250m being mentioned, what happened Fred, Dalot, Lee Grant, nobody left until Fellaini in January, our worst transfer season in decades probably, especially as personally I got sold on the stories as obviously needed, as it is again this summer.
Personally I almost hope some of these outgoing rumours are true so that we are forced to bring in 5/6 even if it means it isnt all of the right players leaving.

OohAahMartial

I would expect a lot of youth players to be on their way out too. Players like Pereira, Mitchell, Henderson, and of course a bunch from the U23s. The final number of outgoings could be massive.

spaceboyRSA

Thing is, last season I remember very similar story leading up to the summer 8 was being talked about strongly with players named to leave and something like 6 in with a big war chest of £200-250m being mentioned, what happened Fred, Dalot, Lee Grant, nobody left until Fellaini in January, our worst transfer season in decades probably, especially as personally I got sold on the stories as obviously needed, as it is again this summer.
Personally I almost hope some of these outgoing rumours are true so that we are forced to bring in 5/6 even if it means it isnt all of the right players leaving.
I would think that would have been David Moyes first window. Rumours of Fabregas, Bale, Kroos etc. Fellaini was the result (and we even paid more than we should have). Personally I think that was a far worse transfer window....

I guess its not saying much though- last seasons window was pretty bleak too.

Rockets Redglare

I would expect a lot of youth players to be on their way out too. Players like Pereira, Mitchell, Henderson, and of course a bunch from the U23s. The final number of outgoings could be massive.
Henderson won’t be going anywhere.

Pereira isn't going we have just extended his deal.

OohAahMartial

Agreed on Rice, I think its too soon to rule out a worst case Rodwell / best case Dier trajectory just yet, despite the obvious potential. I think we need someone with more ability on the ball at the base unless we rejig the dynamic in front.

The rest sound great, although won't AWB put a bit of a spanner in Dalot and possibly Laird's development? Both look like talented options at RB to me.
I don't quite understand the links with young players for those positions, when we have our own young players like Garner and McTominay, Dalot and Laird. DM should be experienced, but not old, as it's a crucial position.

Meunier for RB makes more sense too to see how Dalot and Laird progress, with rotation.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I will believe this when I see it. I am just sceptical about anything Ed Woodward is involved in. I can just see him selling Ole short.

OleGunnar20

Fear you could be right on Henderson although I'd like to see him stay, possibly another year on loan. Very promising player imo.

I missed that, but still doesn't mean we can't sell him. "United can now make a decision on Pereira's future this summer knowing they can still get a fee if he is sold."-BBC
Ole rates him and he's had a lot of mins this season. I think a new long term deal will be worked on in the summer.

Kostov

Clearing up the likes of Mata, Darmian, Valencia, Rojo, Jones, Young and even Alexis and Lingard would be a step in the right direction and even if we don't buy anyone I'd be fecking relieved. All of them are stealing a living from this club. We will probably let Valencia leave and haggle over half a million for Darmian and Rojo instead.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We also need any signings completed quickly. If we are letting so many go, they really need them in before the tour. I do not want us starting the season with a vastly changed team, most of which have never played a minute together.

I don't quite understand the links with young players for those positions, when we have our own young players like Garner and McTominay, Dalot and Laird. DM should be experienced, but not old, as it's a crucial position.

Meunier for RB makes more sense too to see how Dalot and Laird progress, with rotation.
I agree and he comes with a lot of experience, I would prefer him to Wan-Bissaka.

Woodzy

:lol:

roonster09

Scout
Clearing up the likes of Mata, Darmian, Valencia, Rojo, Jones, Young and even Alexis and Lingard would be a step in the right direction and even if we don't buy anyone I'd be fecking relieved. All of them are stealing a living from this club. We will probably let Valencia leave and haggle over half a million for Darmian and Rojo instead.
Yeah, clearing deadwood is very important. We have too many players earning big wages and are not even playing. Shame Herrera might leave too but in any case we should be ruthless for once and clear players like Valencia, Darmian, Young, Rojo, Mata and few other players. Vanelcia, Rojo, Darmian combined makes maybe around 300K and they don't even play.