Solskjaer's contract

redrobed

Personally don’t think he’s the man for the job long term but some of the disrespect being fired at him in here is absolutely shocking

arthurka

The worst things is that now there isn't a manager available on the market.
Rose, Poch, Tuchel. Well there is always Lampard.

el3mel

Please, please for God sake Woodward, don't rush and throw a contract at him this summer. For feck sake please.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Have we got £500m laying around for him to spend on the obvious talented individual players? There are times I think his endgame is basically fill the XI and the bench with obviously talented individual players and let them figure it out for themselves on the field because theyre all superstars and one of them is bound to produce a goal to win a game at worst... and he can just steamroll the opposition on sheer individual talent alone... at the cost of hundreds of millions

Otherwise he isn’t getting any better than what we’re seeing.
Been saying this for a long time. It's what the Ole in lot are dreaming of. United Galactico era where we may win a cup and they can say how great Ole is. It's the only way it happens.

Skills

Snitch
I imagine Woodward cursing after every game at the moment because he can't announce that rumoured contact. You know its coming and it'll be the cherry on the cake for Woodward time here.
:lol: same.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Have we got £500m laying around for him to spend on the obvious talented individual players? There are times I think his endgame is basically fill the XI and the bench with obviously talented individual players and let them figure it out for themselves on the field because theyre all superstars and one of them is bound to produce a goal to win a game at worst... and he can just steamroll the opposition on sheer individual talent alone... at the cost of hundreds of millions

Otherwise he isn’t getting any better than what we’re seeing.
Exactly, he needs to be able to beat the likes of Crystal Palace missing half their squad first, our squad is miles better than theirs in every position.
If Ole needs to have a team 20 times better than the other to win, any manager could do that.

Wilt

At the earliest let’s see where we are end of season.

If a change was needed and as the Poch ship has sailed (for now) ....Nagelsmann could be worth a gamble.

pocco

loco
Graham Potter plays better football with worse players. Going by XG stats, Brighton have outperformed their opponents in over 70% of their games this season. Watch their games recently, it’s an absolute joke how they’re not in the top 8 at the very least going by how they play. If Potter had a better finisher up top, they’d be cruising to EL football. The phrase ‘false position’ was invented for this Brighton team. No matter who they play, they go for it full throttle, as evidenced by their recent dominating wins over Spurs and Pool. We do not do that.

Also, I’m not Ole out at this moment as you can tell from my previous post, but when you talk about qualifications, Ole had only ever been successful at Molde before he came to us. Even so, that is nothing compared to Potter’s achievements at Ostersunds. He took them from amateur football in the Swedish 4th division right to the Allsvenskan and got EL football, where they beat Arsenal at the Emirates. Remarkable stuff you don’t see unless you play Football Manager. He essentially built a club from the ground up, improving the playing squad, expanding the club, infrastructure etc.

At Cardiff, Ole relegated them despite them being 14th when he took over. The season after, Ole was sacked when he took Cardiff to an inauspicious start in the Championship. Potter, in the same situation, stabilised Swansea and got them to 10th and an FA Cup quarter final where the whole world can agree they deserved to beat City. All this after losing 15 first team players. By comparison, Ole lost 8.

Finally, there is the simple fact that while we can debate Potter vs Ole all day, if you asked any of the other 18 PL clubs’ chairman and fans who they’d rather have at the helm, it would be a unanimous vote for Potter. I don’t think anyone can deny that, no matter how much you like Ole.

On the basis of all this, the qualifications of Potter and Ole cannot even be compared. I’d keep Ole until the summer and see what he does simply because Nagelsmann and Potter are currently unattainable.
Jesus, we don't even have the best PL manager from the Norwegian league. Though this post has made me consider Potter a bit more.

Idxomer

Jesus, we don't even have the best PL manager from the Norwegian league. Though this post has made me consider Potter a bit more.
It's the Swedish league but yeah Potter is a much better coach than Ole.

United Hobbit

I think Ole has taken us as far as he can.

Hes done great work behind the scenes clearing most of the deadwood etc, however now it's time to start looking at his on field performance.

Unfortunately constant flaws/ limitations of his are becoming clear, and are a repeated pattern.

- we constantly struggle to break down the tightly packed, box packing defensive teams. This has happened time and time again, and probably now opposition managers are identifying this and setting their teams up to do this. Given it's a repeated issue, Ole needed to have found ways around this and how to unpick these teams. He hasn't.

-Ole's in game management is questionable at times. He delays substitutions, giving the changes he does make very little time to have any effect

I think Ed and the Glazers need to be having private conversations with future options (not sure who as I don't really watch other leagues) and depending on the outcome of this and when we can get a potential world class replacement, either this summer or next, thank Ole for the job he's done here and move on to the next stage of the rebuild- getting the on pitch performance in a position to be challenging for titles.

Unfortunately I can see us getting all timings wrong, sacking Ole eventually, and be scrabbling around trying to find a replacement manager at the same time Klopp moves on from Liverpool and they will be succession planning. Had this hunch for a while.

The next few months MUST focus on appointing a DOF who can then assist with the managerial appointment, but also can carry on most of the behind the scenes work Ole has been doing.

Last edited:

pocco

loco
It's the Swedish league but yeah Potter is a much better coach than Ole.
Thought Ostersunds were Norwegian, my bad. Probably even more impressive from Potter, the Norwegian league seems to have a bit more pedigree than the Swedish.

Having read that about Potter though, he sounds like the closest thing to a 'Fergie type' appointment. Developing a whole club from the ground up, bringing a reasonably obscure team to the big time and the European stages (not quite as good as Fergie, obviously). I've admired his football without knowing all this about him, but now I do it sounds like he is a genuine candidate for being the next big manager. Impressive career to date. Definitely one to keep an eye on.

pocco

loco
I think Ole has taken us as far as he can.

Hes done great work behind the scenes clearing most of the deadwood etc, however now it's time to start looking at his on field performance.

Unfortunately constant flaws/ limitations of his are becoming clear, and are a repeated pattern.

- we constantly struggle to break down the tightly packed, box packing defensive teams. This has happened time and time again, and probably now opposition managers are identifying this and setting their teams up to do this. Given it's a repeated issue, Ole needed to have found ways around this and how to unpick these teams. He hasn't.

-Ole's in game management is questionable at times. He delays substitutions, giving the changes he does make very little time to have any effect

I think Ed and the Glazers need to be having private conversations with future options (not sure who as I don't really watch other leagues) and depending on the outcome of this and when we can a potential world class replacement, either this summer or next, thank Ole for the job he's done here and move on to the next stage of the rebuild- getting the on pitch performance in a position to be challenging for titles.
I think you can question how well individual performances have followed a trajectory under him too.

De Gea - No words required.

Maguire - Came with a big reputation and for huge money. Looks like a flop at his price point and now we're all in agreement that he needs another big signing next to him to get the best out of him. His stock has fallen massively since his Leicester days.

Matic - Age is probably the main factor here in fairness. But there has been a drop off in my opinion.

Lingard - Had some good times under previous managers. Never rated him highly but I feel Ole definitely brought out the worst in him.

Martial - The worst I've seen him in a United shirt. Best season under LVG. The talent is barely even recognisable these days, which was something I couldn't previously deny Martial FC. So bad, in fact, Martial FC disbanded and haven't been seen to this day.

Greenwood- Seems to have handled him poorly this season and hasn't kicked on. This was blamed on his trouble with England in the summer, in which Foden was also involved. Forden having his best season to date.

Rashford- Where do I start? He's pampered and protected this guy since he arrived. He's played him constantly. Whilst Rashford has a decent goalscoring record in all competitions, his all round play has been worse, for me. He hasn't evolved as a footballer and has still got the inconsistencies of a player just starting out. Although he's only 23, he has a load of experience behind him. Ole messed him around d by changing positions to accommodate Martial and Cavani, choosing to play Rashford all over the place. Since that period he's looked dreadful.

There's probably more that I'm forgetting and some that aren't included because they've been moved on. Pogba is another that has perhaps not been utilised properly at all by Ole.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
I think you can question how well individual performances have followed a trajectory under him too.

De Gea - No words required.

Maguire - Came with a big reputation and for huge money. Looks like a flop at his price point and now we're all in agreement that he needs another big signing next to him to get the best out of him. His stock has fallen massively since his Leicester days.

Matic - Age is probably the main factor here in fairness. But there has been a drop off in my opinion.

Lingard - Had some good times under previous managers. Never rated him highly but I feel Ole definitely brought out the worst in him.

Martial - The worst I've seen him in a United shirt. Best season under LVG. The talent is barely even recognisable these days, which was something I couldn't previously deny Martial FC. So bad, in fact, Martial FC disbanded and haven't been seen to this day.

Greenwood- Seems to have handled him poorly this season and hasn't kicked on. This was blamed on his trouble with England in the summer, in which Foden was also involved. Forden having his best season to date.

Rashford- Where do I start? He's pampered and protected this guy since he arrived. He's played him constantly. Whilst Rashford has a decent goalscoring record in all competitions, his all round play has been worse, for me. He hasn't evolved as a footballer and has still got the inconsistencies of a player just starting out. Although he's only 23, he has a load of experience behind him. Ole messed him around d by changing positions to accommodate Martial and Cavani, choosing to play Rashford all over the place. Since that period he's looked dreadful.

There's probably more that I'm forgetting and some that aren't included because they've been moved on. Pogba is another that has perhaps not been utilised properly at all by Ole.
You forgot AWB, he was good when we signed him, seems to have been regressing since.

croadyman

I am absolutely certain he won't be going anywhere whilst he still hasn't got the CB, RW, DM & ST this team so badly needs, the brutal truth is that we will get a maximum of two this summer (that feels optimistic after his presser comments) and so we will still be having those same complaints about him not having the right team this time next year. The board are content to just keep riding this out and with Ole in charge would even say irrespective of Champions League football too because he is cheap as chips for them to maintain.

Crustanoid

Don’t sign him up yet but let him keep improving us incrementally until someone better comes in

wolvored

Unless we finish 5th or lower Ole will be here for at least 1 more season. Top 4 is all that is required and I think how the other teams are performing we will get 4th at least. Deadwood Woodward should keep his hand in his pocket, and look for another manager next season.

pocco

loco
You forgot AWB, he was good when we signed him, seems to have been regressing since.
Yes that's true. Had a good reputation coming to United and is somewhat tarnished/questioned a lot more now.

When he relies on physical aspects to defend 1v1, he's very good. But tactically and positionally he's being exploited a lot. Basically the part that the manager/ coaches are expected to teach a young player. He's certainly done him no favors.

passing-wind

The fact that Solskjaer could be sacked this season depending on results is positive because at the least it shows some ambition from the board. Much of Ole's management career lies within his own responsibility. This club has shown that it will reward the managers time which is completely just.

pocco

loco
Don’t sign him up yet but let him keep improving us incrementally until someone better comes in
If we don't improve a lot though, I get the feeling the wheels will fall off altogether. Another season as also-rans will see the likes of Bruno become disillusioned, I am sure of it. Once normality is resumed in the world and clubs can spend money, there will be teams blowing up his agents phone.

Crustanoid

If we don't improve a lot though, I get the feeling the wheels will fall off altogether. Another season as also-rans will see the likes of Bruno become disillusioned, I am sure of it. Once normality is resumed in the world and clubs can spend money, there will be teams blowing up his agents phone.
I agree. The big question is, when do we make the move? Changing the stability has to come with a positive change.

Greck

Love the way so many people turn on our manager whenever something isn't going well and give him 0 credit when we're winning.
I don't know, I thought he got a ton of credit while we climbed the table and were top

dave1956

Just a passing thought on offering another contract on his present performances. United have in their history appointed prior to Ole 3 former players as managers, this includes the short term of Ryan Giggs. They were Clarence George "Lai" Hilditch, Wilf MaGuiness and the afore mentioned Ryan Giggs. None of these managers won anything during thier stints as manager. I fear history may be repeating itself, perhaps there is a lesson here and that former players may not be the best way forward.

Greck

I imagine Woodward cursing after every game at the moment because he can't announce that rumoured contact. You know its coming and it'll be the cherry on the cake for Woodward time here.
This :lol:. It has probably been agreed in principle or something. Contract renewal disasters are Woodward's signature move.

Red00012

I think we’ll get top 4 just because every other team is trying their best not to get top 4 also .

I think the wheels will fall off next season for Ole . A lot of teams have had indifferent form this season (mainly Chelsea and Liverpool ) and I’d imagine these 2 will improve next season , our away record has been good but wait until these mentally fragile players play in the likes of Elland Road with 40,000 odd fans roaring abuse at them and we falling to pieces.

reddevilz007

Those people watching the games, do you really get excited at what you are watching? Do you see any sense of team play? Or googling the EPL table is sufficient for you? Seriously.

Last edited:

croadyman

We're showing mid table form over our past eight games so not sure top four is even a guarantee.
Yeah what is it about us and falling off a cliff in early March after a european win

croadyman

Really can't wait for this Solskjaer experiment to be over. He's quite clearly not a shit coach and he's done ok but imagine what could happen with a capable coach in charge. Please don't reference Van Gaal and Mourinho in response, both who were past it.
Yeah same here but just pray that another manager doesn't rip everything up

Gazza

I’d be willing to bet an extension has already been agreed, maybe even signed, and the club wants to make the announcement at a time that suits them.

croadyman

He needs another 250m to get "his type of players" in.
Yeah if he had HIS players then would feel there is a possibility we could let him go at the end of the season, however he is still at least four short in that department so the club will continue to give him time and muddle along for now

RazorOz

There is absolutely no way he goes if we finish top 4. People are kidding themselves if they think the owners look at it and are thinking of replacing him. Woodward/the owners likely think he's doing a good job sitting in 2nd and would present that as progress after 3rd last season, and even now there would have to be a huge collapse to not finish top 4 from here.

croadyman

Yeah the club need to be bloody worried about that exact thing happening rather than how much it will cost to sack Ole

Shark

@NotShark
There is absolutely no way he goes if we finish top 4. People are kidding themselves if they think the owners look at it and are thinking of replacing him. There would have to be a huge collapse to not finish top 4 from here.
Like winning only two of our last nine PL matches? Which is a genuine possibility come Sunday.

croadyman

Last minute equaliser vs City to grab a draw and Ole and Ed will be smiling together on the club homepage as they announce 4 more years.
Yeah the Premier League version of what happened in Paris which got him the job permanently in the first place

Mr Smith

What I want the club to do: tell Ole and his staff that next season is his last, and hope he can end things on a high (or at least respectably). Spend next season securing a replacement who can build on the good work he's done and take us to the next level. Plus we get to give him a good send-off. If he wins the league, we can renew and say that was the intention all along.

What the club will actually do: fence sit until January and then panic by either giving Ole a new contract or sacking him, depending on how we're doing at that particular moment.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Really can't wait for this Solskjaer experiment to be over. He's quite clearly not a shit coach and he's done ok but imagine what could happen with a capable coach in charge. Please don't reference Van Gaal and Mourinho in response, both who were past it.
I agree wholeheartedly.