Solskjaer's contract

Ole is doing a good job. We're improving year on year. The limitations to what Ole will achieve will be down to how the club and recruitment is run.

Van Gaal summed it up when he said the United is not run by football people, it's run by accounts. He said he thought United could sign anyone but it wasn't the case.

People need to taper their expectations. The game has moved on so much since Fergie and our dominance of the 90s and 00s. The premier league is like the NBA of football, the best coaches are here and there's plenty of clubs with huge financial means.

Edit: I'd also add that people should look at how near to perfect a team has to be to win the league now. Liverpool and City's recent title wins has insane points totals. This season again, City will be the same. So from where we were when Ole took over it is clearly a long process to get to the level of recent title wins. 2nd place this season would be a good achievement this season.

Last edited:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
How can you not, we've spent nearly £1bn on players since 2013, Ole has spent £230-240m himself, both sums are staggering amounts of money to only win 3 trophies in almost 8 years and our current manager has yet to win a SF.

What are the standards here? Perfectly fine with making top 4 each season and keep spending until we eventually win something? Or do we bring in a manager/head coach that will improve these players through their coaching methods and bring in 2-3 players and make us title challengers each season and win trophies?

I know which one I'd rather have and its not the one which we laughed at Arsenal for doing for many of seasons.
how much of that 1bn is still at the club? Is that what our squad now cost to assemble? To save you googling the answer is no

RC89

Ole cleaned up a big big mess.

I wouldn’t let a good cleaner renovate my house though. He did a good job removing the poisonous atmosphere left by Mourinho but his not someone to take us to the next level. What we have seen this season is probably going to be the norm under Ole.
:lol:

lysglimt

Scout
Ole cleaned up a big big mess.

I wouldn’t let a good cleaner renovate my house though. He did a good job removing the poisonous atmosphere left by Mourinho but his not someone to take us to the next level. What we have seen this season is probably going to be the norm under Ole.
You make it sound like what we have seen this season is mediocre. If we have a normal end to the season, we will improve quite a few points from last season - now that is progress.

hobbers

So it’s luck that everyone else is shit?

interesting perspective.

Are we not 12 points better off this season than last? So lucky to have beaten more teams this season, but then as you say, the opposition have been poor.
From our point of view what else could you possibly call it other than good fortune? :lol:

Not like we deserve any credit for Spurs choosing to hire Mourinho at his lowest. Or for Arsenal and Chelsea wrongly putting their faith in managers with near zero experience. Or for Leicester and Liverpool being wracked with injuries.

And saying all that, what's really incredible is that our record against those 5 teams so far this season is only 5 points (zero wins) and only 3 goals scored from 7 games. Yet we're above them all. Speaks even more to our good fortune.

Last edited:

lysglimt

Scout
For those who are saying if we get top four (which we probably will, barring something catastrophic happening) then he absolutely deserves it, when will this no longer be enough? When will "well, he got top four so he deserves another chance" no longer cut it for you, as a fan. Not talking about the owners, etc.

Next season? Just interested when it's no longer good enough to merely finish in the top four.
Sooner or later he has to fight for title or win trophies. But as long as we continue to improve, that is good enough for me. If we suddenly start ending 4th - and are 25 points from the winner, now that will be a different discussion. But no one could have expected us to do better than 2nd this season, so clearly - if we end 2nd - anyone saying he should be fired are complete idiots

danigl

Sure, we have improved some since Jose times, and the players seem generally happier now than they were 2 years ago. However, we still haven't secured a place in the top 4. We got lucky last year, and I don't see an improvement this year either. At some point top 4 isn't enough. Now I know these are special times, but that's just emphasising further the need to have a manager that can squeeze out the talent and the guts of the players. I mean, when was the last time we comfortably got past the group stages in CL?

lysglimt

Scout
Regular top 4 gets you sacked at Chelsea. Top 4 doesn't look that awe inspiring in the trophy case. I may not agree with everything Roman represents, but I do like his pursuit of trophies.
How many managers have been fired from Chelsea after finishing 4th or better ? And I mean immediately after finishing 4th, not after a horrible start to the season after

pascell

how much of that 1bn is still at the club? Is that what our squad now cost to assemble? To save you googling the answer is no
Shaw £30m, Telles £15m, Maguire £80m, Lindelof £30m, Bailly £30m, AWB £50m, Fred £47m, Pogba £90m, Matic £40m, Bruno £50m, Mata £40m, James £15m, Martial £50m, roughly £560m worth of players.

Good swerve on the part where I said Ole has spent £230-240m though. That £230-240m helped get us get knocked out of every SF we've played under him and embarrassingly dropped out of the CL but hey, we're 2nd in the league, absolutely worth a new £30m contract.

Bobcat

Behind the curtains, leering at the neighbors
Ole got the job on the back of two months of good performances. It was a far bigger gamble than appointing Nagelsmann or any other manager who has actual Champions League experience would be.

And no, I didn't expect to win the league this year. That's not the issue. The issue is that we look absolutely light years away of a title winning team. We're not looking like a team that's on the verge of something big, that's going somewhere, a side that just lacks a couple of pieces to the puzzle. Instead we look like a disjointed mess, eking out better results than the performances would indicate, a la Mourinho's famous second place season. If Bruno Fernandes slows down even a little next season, we'll go backwards yet again, especially with losing Pogba.

And please understand I'm not saying he should be sacked: I'm saying he's doing an average, unspectacular job that doesn't warrant an early contract extension and a significant payrise.
Keep in mind that there are no club in Europe that has played as many games as us. Combine this with no holiday and viritually no preseason its no wonder we look a bit sluggish right now. Also, its a weird season, compressed with no fans and besides City, does anyone really look good these days?

Bruno made an absolutely massive difference in our midfield, if we can add the same type of quality in attack this summer (and CM fingers crossed) then i am pretty sure we will look a completely different team next season

Lastly, we really only have two options. Extend his contract or not (which is basically sacking him). There is no middle ground there

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Shaw £30m, Telles £15m, Maguire £80m, Lindelof £30m, Bailly £30m, AWB £50m, Fred £47m, Pogba £90m, Matic £40m, Bruno £50m, Mata £40m, James £15m, Martial £50m, roughly £560m worth of players.

Good swerve on the part where I said Ole has spent £230-240m though. That £230-240m helped get us get knocked out of every SF we've played under him and embarrassingly dropped out of the CL but hey, we're 2nd in the league, absolutely worth a new £30m contract.
so in answer to my question the squad is worth half of what you originally said? Good to know

KD6-3.7

You make it sound like what we have seen this season is mediocre. If we have a normal end to the season, we will improve quite a few points from last season - now that is progress.
In my opinion our performances have been largely mediocre this season. Most games we struggle to string more than three passes together.

When is the last game we've dominated from start to finish? It's true when people say we're a team who wins mainly to some individual brilliance and our team is better then most in the league so ofcourse we are going to win most matches.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
How many managers have been fired from Chelsea after finishing 4th or better ? And I mean immediately after finishing 4th, not after a horrible start to the season after
You can start that list with Lampard. Not only finished 4th but also had the team at the top of the table before a rough patch. Was not that many points from top 4 when he was sacked.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Let them have one. Meanwhile the rest of us can get on with enjoying supporting the club.
Wow, you are such a top red. Do you have top red on your tinder bio as well? You should.

Keep in mind that there are no club in Europe that has played as many games as us. Combine this with no holiday and viritually no preseason its no wonder we look a bit sluggish right now. Also, its a weird season, compressed with no fans and besides City, does anyone really look good these days?

Bruno made an absolutely massive difference in our midfield, if we can add the same type of quality in attack this summer (and CM fingers crossed) then i am pretty sure we will look a completely different team next season

Lastly, we really only have two options. Extend his contract or not (which is basically sacking him). There is no middle ground there
This is patently false. Chelsea gave Tuchel, a far more proven (and better) manager, an 18-month deal, making him effectively an interim in all but name. And we instead have to give our unproven, unable-to-pass-SFs manager who has delivered absolute dross football and cannot integrate a signing that's not exactly what he wants another 2 years? In this climate?

Madness.

saivet

Wow, you are such a top red. Do you have top red on your tinder bio as well? You should.

This is patently false. Chelsea gave Tuchel, a far more proven (and better) manager, an 18-month deal, making him effectively an interim in all but name. And we instead have to give our unproven, unable-to-pass-SFs manager who has delivered absolute dross football and cannot integrate a signing that's not exactly what he wants another 2 years? In this climate?

Madness.
Poch also got an 18 month contract at PSG too?

VivaRonaldo85

It’s perfectly simple for me. If we’re settled on finishing between 2nd & 4th in the league and the odd cup run to the latter stages, we have our man and sign on the dotted line Ole. However, if we want to move to the next level and disrupt the team at the top and seriously compete again in the champions league, we need a better manager & coach with a much stronger mindset to succeed at the very top level. Not easy to find I know but we can do better if we are bold enough to take that next ambitious step forward.

wolvored

For me, it will be when he has the players at his disposal who can raise the ceiling of this squad - by that I mean proper first teamers who can relegate the likes of McFred to squad player status. He's done wonders with a squad that is predominantly comprised of cast offs from Jose's time at the club and academy kids.

My worry is that he'll never get those players and we're going to be hoping for the kids to step up (unlikely) or we're going to be stuck in a perennial fight for Top 4.

Even if we just get 2 of the 4 big holes in the squad filled, I'd be delighted and would be expecting a much bigger push towards the top two. If we don't get those players however, then I'll begrudgingly accept Top 4.
Maguire, James, AWB, Bruno, Amad, Telles, VDB, and Cavani are all still here from the players who Ole has bought in. Thats not including Greenwood, Henderson, Tuanzebe, Shoretire and Williams, he has promoted. Thats half the squad.

Aouer-United

If we plan to spend big again this summer, at least 80-90+ points should be a target for next season to earn new contact. if Ole gets us less than 70-80 points is sackable regardless of the top 4, I think he should go.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Ancelotti got punted when they finished 2nd, the year after he'd won them the double. Grant got sacked after finishing 2nd when they were a slip away from winning the Champions League. Raneiri got sacked for finishing 2nd, in Abramovich's first season - a year in which Arsenal went unbeaten.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
It’s perfectly simple for me. If we’re settled on finishing between 2nd & 4th in the league and the odd cup run to the latter stages, we have our man and sign on the dotted line Ole. However, if we want to move to the next level and disrupt the team at the top and seriously compete again in the champions league, we need a better manager & coach with a much stronger mindset to succeed at the very top level. Not easy to find I know but we can do better if we are bold enough to take that next ambitious step forward.
Would be happy to see Solskjaer given one more year - he's shown clear progress from last year to this year, and there's an argument he's earned one more full season to have a proper tilt at the title. But that has to be the bare minimum, and a season in, say, 4th should probably see him gone except in certain unique circumstances.

Mindhunter

I like how people are debating like this is a serious consideration for the club. Let me assure you that there is next to no chance that OGS will get sacked if we get top four. Most likely he will get a shiny new contract and will continue on.

You may argue that it shows our lack of ambition but that's the reality so you might as well accept it. A business that has to answer to shareholders need stability and predictability and consistent positive cash flows every year that OGS has guaranteed. There is no way the club will appoint a maverick in the hope of a moonshot and create more business risk. Unfortunately, modern businesses are not run that way.

MyBloodIsRed

I for one cannot wait to see Ole help us to the title and listen to all you negative Nancy’s that have been complaining for so long eat some humble pie.

we finally have some of the culture back at the club and the united DNA currently sits second. If we can get a couple key players this summer we are right there challenging...

Pscholes18

I for one cannot wait to see Ole help us to the title and listen to all you negative Nancy’s that have been complaining for so long eat some humble pie.

we finally have some of the culture back at the club and the united DNA currently sits second. If we can get a couple key players this summer we are right there challenging...
Need to get rid of some too.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Poch also got an 18 month contract at PSG too?
I didn't want to mention it but again, it's just an indication of the times. People are not risking it with proven managers (and Poch is even ex-PSG) and yet we're going all-in with this guy. Crazy.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
One small distinction about Tuchel’s contract. It is 18 month, but it automatically adds a year if he makes top 4. Pretty much a performance based contract. He said for a minute he thought it was not what he was expecting, but after thinking about it... if he was not producing, he knows he will get sacked anyway.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

For those who are saying if we get top four (which we probably will, barring something catastrophic happening) then he absolutely deserves it, when will this no longer be enough? When will "well, he got top four so he deserves another chance" no longer cut it for you, as a fan. Not talking about the owners, etc.

Next season? Just interested when it's no longer good enough to merely finish in the top four.
I want Ole to stay. If he is backed properly in the summer with 2-3 first team signings, i would expect a serious Challenge for the title. In case that doesn't happen, i would like to see some progress made on the manager position.

If the club fail to back him with the Players needed, it doesn't really matter Who is the manager, and he might as well stay No matter the outcome.

lysglimt

Scout
Ancelotti got punted when they finished 2nd, the year after he'd won them the double. Grant got sacked after finishing 2nd when they were a slip away from winning the Champions League. Raneiri got sacked for finishing 2nd, in Abramovich's first season - a year in which Arsenal went unbeaten.
Ok - didn't think that far back.

croadyman

I want Ole to stay. If he is backed properly in the summer with 2-3 first team signings, i would expect a serious Challenge for the title. In case that doesn't happen, i would like to see some progress made on the manager position.

If the club fail to back him with the Players needed, it doesn't really matter Who is the manager, and he might as well stay No matter the outcome.
Pretty certain he will only be able to spend more than £70m if he's prepared to actually sell a couple of valuable assets, in other words need to get rid of either DDG/Henderson, Martial & Lingard. I dread to think how awful we will look creatively if we let go of Pogba and that will be another issue to add to the four we already have in the first XI

Womp

idiot

I'm sure all of us negative Nancy's would be more than happy to see that happen.

Considering he hasn't won a trophy in half a decade and given the quality of the football we play, I wouldn't hold your breath though.

See, I can also make pointless posts to attack people's opinions without adding anything substantial to the discussion :)

Polar

Spot on. We are only a couple of key-players from being a real contender. It’s now about margins or small adjustments which can make things loose (playing style, efficiency, consistency) and have huge impact on the team.

Castia

Top 4 is all they care about, if he can deliver top 4 every season he’ll stay on.

From my perspective he needs to start challenging for trophies, The FA cup loss was such a shit result he won’t get a much easier chance of making a final than that. I know it’s ‘only’ the FA cup but a trophy could completely change the attitude/dynamic around the place.

Pearl's a minger

Are we only a couple of players away from competing for the title though? I'm not so sure. We also have to take in to account possible big name departures such as Pogba. Surely the likes of Rashford and Greenwood can only hang around so long before they decide they need to be winning things regularly. Bringing in a couple players wont suddenly mean Martial decides to put some effort in or make Wan Bissaka be able to cross a ball or even make Fred realise he's a footballer who can pass forward. As already mentioned in various other posts, a lot of our games seem to be won with a piece of individual brilliance rather than a complete team performance. Lets be honest our football really isn't that entertaining in the majority of games.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rolandofgilead

redNATION

Spot on. We are only a couple of key-players from being a real contender. It’s now about margins or small adjustments which can make things loose (playing style, efficiency, consistency) and have huge impact on the team.
Make that a few new players (many in the squad aren’t good enough) AND a top class coach away from challenging. How are we closer to challenging if we’re rountinely 15, 20+ points behind the top of the table? Can you really see Ole doing what klopp did with Liverpool?

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
It seems a considerable portion of the fan base feel entitled to success and if it isn’t forthcoming people expect quick band aid solutions.

For the record, I don’t think Ole is the right fit for the job in the long run. But I don’t think a new manager will change anything until the club is adequately resourced at the player and coaching level.

It will take a few more full seasons before we become a sustained powerhouse.

The Ole in or Ole out conundrum isn’t really even worth addressing at this stage. There needs to be structural change at the top.

jbwilliamz

Top 4 is all they care about, if he can deliver top 4 every season he’ll stay on.

From my perspective he needs to start challenging for trophies, The FA cup loss was such a shit result he won’t get a much easier chance of making a final than that. I know it’s ‘only’ the FA cup but a trophy could completely change the attitude/dynamic around the place.
"The FA cup loss was such a shit result he won’t get a much easier chance of making a final than that".

I don't want to bang that drum, but we played Man City, AC Milan x 2 and West Ham in two weeks whilst Leicester played Sheff United. It's nowhere near the easiest chance of making a final. It's not just about being a one off game when we've played four times more than a very good Leicester team in what is their only chance of winning a trophy. They were all in for that game and fresh!

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus

What is the United DNA? Having Marcus Rashford in the team? Unexciting football? Not competing for any major honours? Spending loads of money? Fans wanting to give our manager a blank chequebook until something sticks? Only being able to play good football when we have a team of galacticos?

hubbuh

It seems a considerable portion of the fan base feel entitled to success and if it isn’t forthcoming people expect quick band aid solutions.

For the record, I don’t think Ole is the right fit for the job in the long run. But I don’t think a new manager will change anything until the club is adequately resourced at the player and coaching level.

It will take a few more full seasons before we become a sustained powerhouse.

The Ole in or Ole out conundrum isn’t really even worth addressing at this stage. There needs to be structural change at the top.
There's been quite a lot of reshuffling going on as has been well documented. Regardless of whether it's been in place for a while and is only now being disclosed is by the by. They have an immediate job to do this summer in getting the first team up to snuff to challenge. There's going to be huge attention paid to our goings on under the 'new' stewardship.

A different manager could well have had us in the semi-final against Southampton, so I don't agree with the assertion that a different/new manager wouldn't change anything. One of the major issues is how dysfunctional and inconsistent we are, both in play style and in results. There's nothing to suggest a different manager wouldn't have us playing as a more progressive, cohesive unit. We have a very good squad, to suggest that this team shouldn't be putting up more of a challenge is crazy to me.