Solskjaer's legacy and his future

hobbers

As a manager - worse in terms of ability than most of what we've ever seen in the Prem. Given his record at Cardiff and United we're talking the De Boer end of the spectrum.

For United, potentially a more negative ending and legacy than even Mourinho. We'll see how long this charade goes on and what it ends up costing us in terms of player turnover, top four next season etc. We've already missed out on hiring Pochettino, Tuchel and Conte for the sake of the Ole project and Woodwards pathetic ego trip. That's some fecking opportunity cost right there. This failed experiment in nice feelings, sentimentality and DNA bullshit spinning has cost us the chance to be competing for major titles this season and last.

His achievement is spending £150m every summer to take a club from 66 points, to 66 points, to 74 points, and then (on target for) 58 points. Rubbish. His record in the transfer market is more misses than hits, and the hits were last minute accidents like Cavani and Ronaldo. He's also given the go ahead for unearned contracts to be handed out to Mata, Matic, Grant, Jones, Bailly, Martial, Lingard, Henderson and Pereira to bloat our wage bill and squad with players he doesn't even trust as EL subs.

Last edited:

Winrar

Currently undoing his own good work which was steadying the ship after Mourinho got sacked.

Now we look like we are in as much of a mess, if not more than when Mourinho left. Arguably with better players in some areas as well, which he cannot get the best out of.

passtheball

Solskjaer's legacy:

1. Breeding nepotism in the club and fanbase. It's a hard thing to shake off as we are going to find out in coming months and years.
2. Lowering standards to unprecedented levels in the PL era.
3. Making it okay for a manager to lose 0-5 to Liverpool at OT and then saying a couple of weeks later that "we've moved on from it" when the team and fans quite clearly have not.

Kopral Jono

Prior to yesterday's second half atrocity I said on this thread that due to his exploits as a player his legacy will remain unblemished and rightly so. That all changed after the game, where it became evidently clear that he set his team up for the second half to simply avoid a drubbing, possibly the barest of minimums to keep himself in the job, instead of having a proper go at them.

I was so mad yesterday. It's the Manchester derby and we were only two goals down, for feck's sake. Embarrassing.

Jimmyheals

As a player there is nothing to say about his quality. As a manager, he brought us back, when we needed it. But he is now out of his depth and it is time to go. It’s sad he cannot see it

NewYorkRed

His legacy as a player is cemented.

His legacy a coach? He’s a coward. Straight up. Always trying to save his job. Always. Its infuriating. Playing 7 defensive players every time he feels his job is in trouble.

The problems in the club lay further than Ole though. And I can go on and on about this. But. This summer, he was absolutely backed in the market. Even without the Ronaldo signing, he was backed heavily. How is it that the team is way worse? He just isn’t good enough.

leon24

Have attacking players at his disposal, Ronaldo, Cavani, Martial, Pogba, Fernandes, De Beek, Lingard, Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho, who else?

Fields 7 defensive out of 10 outfield players.

That’s his legacy.

hobbers

That’s his legacy.
Took over to put a stop to the bus parking, ended up being more defensive, cowardly and negative than even Mourinho could ever dream of being. Not to mention more averse to playing youth, and more averse to rewarding players who train well.

Ludens the Red

I dislike Michael Owen but he hits the nail on the head here..
if someone as simple as Michael Owen can tear apart your managerial philosophy in five minutes you’re in big trouble.

Red Star One

From a man who I would’ve hoped loves the club to a man I have no doubt cares much more about himself and his reputation than the club, the players and the fans.

Also, as a manager, a hypocrite who sets one standards for other managers then lowers the standards when it him in the same position

Last edited:

lawliet354

Have attacking players at his disposal, Ronaldo, Cavani, Martial, Pogba, Fernandes, De Beek, Lingard, Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho, who else?

That’s his legacy.
And somehow our defense is still pretty shit even with 7 defensive players. Kind of amazing if you think about it, he manages to give Mourinho-esque performance without the result to back it up

Seij

Also, as a manager, a hypocrite who sets one standards for other managers then lowers the standards when it him in the same position

Apparently missed that interview earlier this year. That is infuriating. Master of lowering standards. Hypocrite.

Red Star One

We really throw the word legend so lightly. He was never our star player, indeed he grabbed a goal that made us all ecstatic but let’s get real - his contribution to United is not even close to the one of class of 92, Rooney or even de Gea. Yes, he was loved as a player, got a nice chant, but never achieved the status of for example Lampard at Chelsea as he was never this good. By putting himself before the players and the club he’s giving a strong hint where his loyalty is and what are his priorities.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
His legacy will be that he brought back the energy, smile, joy in being a Man Utd supporter again after the Moyes, LvG, Mourinho years... He was the right guy at the right time to bring United further up again.. Nobody will remember it though because he will stay for too long so that he has no pro-ole fan left and the negative will take over in memory (the extent of this will increase the longer he stays on)

Magical Manchester United

I think when he does go and when the dust settles he should be seen as a manager who did good things but wasn't up to Manchester United standards. All this talk like "he wouldn't even get a job in the Championship!" I find ridiculous. He'll go to a mid table Premier League club and do perfectly OK. Probably beat Man United and show that maybe not all the issues lie with the manager.

Solskjaer has finished in the top 4 in both of his 2 full seasons. LVG didn't manage that. Neither did Mourinho. The football under Solskjaer in the main is far more fun to watch than under the previous managers post Sir Alex.

Foxbatt

I think when he does go and when the dust settles he should be seen as a manager who did good things but wasn't up to Manchester United standards. All this talk like "he wouldn't even get a job in the Championship!" I find ridiculous. He'll go to a mid table Premier League club and do perfectly OK. Probably beat Man United and show that maybe not all the issues lie with the manager.

Solskjaer has finished in the top 4 in both of his 2 full seasons. LVG didn't manage that. Neither did Mourinho. The football under Solskjaer in the main is far more fun to watch than under the previous managers post Sir Alex.
Jose didn't have half the quality of players Ole has. He won two trophies in his 3 seasons. LVG maybe boring as feck but he never went 7 at the back.

Ralph1386

We really throw the word legend so lightly. He was never our star player, indeed he grabbed a goal that made us all ecstatic but let’s get real - his contribution to United is not even close to the one of class of 92, Rooney or even de Gea. Yes, he was loved as a player, got a nice chant, but never achieved the status of for example Lampard at Chelsea as he was never this good. By putting himself before the players and the club he’s giving a strong hint where his loyalty is and what are his priorities.
From a man who I would’ve hoped loves the club to a man I have no doubt cares much more about himself and his reputation than the club, the players and the fans.
Exactly what I was saying in another thread. How can he be a club legend, when his personal agenda has become more important than what’s best for the club. It’s contradictory.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Football without romance is an entertaining sport. It’s not any big loss.
We can agree to disagree. I wouldnt want to follow the club this closely if it didnt have that emotional connection from my childhood.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Everyday he stays is another day he ruins his legacy and goodwill at this club.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Jose didn't have half the quality of players Ole has. He won two trophies in his 3 seasons. LVG maybe boring as feck but he never went 7 at the back.
Will McTominay and Fred be counted as defenders if another manager plays them in midfield or is it just a nonsense jibe for Ole?
That's balls about Jose's squad too.

Both have been adept at passing through money though.

Von Mistelroum

At this rate he’ll stay long enough for even that goal to be forgotten and the lasting memory of the least talented manager we’ve ever had will be all that’s left.

TheMitz

Was given a shed load of money and the club regressed under him.

As a player not a legend
As a manager he's our modern Wilf Mcguiness

MrBest

When it becomes clear a manager is in the role for himself, that is the point I question my first opinion on his legacy. It is clear Ole is out of his depth, lost the dressing room etc. Why won't he put Man United first and throw the towel. Right now, he coulld do that and no real fan would ignore the impact he bought but more importantly, the 99 winning goal. He back tracks on anything he says, when he first came he said in the third year we will challenge, started the season referencing April race and by Oct was saying we hit rock bottom. For me, he needs to resign otherwise this mess becomes more prominent in my mind and will impact my opinion of him.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Ultimately it'll be defined by the next manager.

If someone comes in and does well with the current squad then people will point to Ole building the foundations for that success. If we continue not doing particularly well then it'll just be viewed as a waste of time.

Spoony

The People's President
Fans who remember his time as a player will always hold him high regard. The rest not so much.

Bloody PE teacher.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Fans who remember his time as a player will always hold him high regard. The rest not so much.

Bloody Ole Ole Ole I love you.
he was nicknamed the smiling assassin. he was laughing all the way back then, knowing what he was planning to do to the club ~15 years later.

Spoony

The People's President
he was nicknamed the smiling assassin. he was laughing all the way back then, knowing what he was planning to do to the club ~15 years later.

Yeah I didn't celebrate his goals knowing he'd manage us so poorly a decade and half later. fecking loser. I hate him so much right now.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Yeah I didn't celebrate his goals knowing he'd manage us so poorly a decade and half later. fecking loser. I hate him so much right now.
i’m not even that sad that i’ve had to go back to supporting liverpool because of him. shows the damage he has done.