Solskjaer's legacy and his future

SAFMUTD

Just kill this thread, we all know Ole was a massive failure as a manager, he damaged the club more than he helped it in his 3 years and left us in probably the worse state we've been since SAF.

No need to keep repeating the same things over and over, I don't think there's any members of the **** any more to defend him.

It's been almost 5 months since he left, let's move on already.

Golden Nugget

There are 2 aspects to a signing - 1. Is the player good enough for the side; 2. Is the player worth the money that is being asked?

Maguire and AWB are good players - and like any player they have their weaknesses. Hell, Maguire was arguably among the top 3 CBs in the league last season, and in the 2nd half of last season, we did feel that AWB is getting better going forward. Most of us were disappointed when HM got injured and would miss EL final. So, let's be clear here that the 2 players did well last season, and while they made mistakes and had certain weaknesses, it wasn't like they were costing us game after game.

The 2nd aspect is around the money paid - and that is more on the board. But before we go ahead and blame the board, I think it's been well established by now that we end up paying a Utd premium of 10-20m on every player ever since that interview Woodward gave in summer 2013. We overpaid 20m for both of these, just like we overpaid by 20m on Pogba and Lukaku as well, just like we overpaid for Lindelof (by 5-10m) and Fred (15-20m) and Amad (by 5-10m) and VDB and the list goes on.

The side that was left behind has its weaknesses, just like every side in the world has. But what's made it worse is the poor form of some of our best players in the last 2 seasons
Completely agree with this. Yes, Maguire is horrid this season but he looked to be a solid signing for the first two seasons and was great (along with Shaw) in the Euros - before falling to pieces this season. Did Ole make mistakes in playing him before he was fully fit? Yes, but he can’t be blamed for wanting him.

Polar

Not walking away from the job the same evening we got mauled 5-0 at home to Liverpool will be his legacy for all the wrong reasons. A dark dark day that was.
Managers should keep on working until the board says otherwise. That is what loyalty and professionalism is all about. It’s the board who decides what’s best for the club. They were probably wrong and should have sacked Ole after 0-5 against Liverpool, but they were confused and paralysed

We’ve had many managers and it’s quite obvious that which manager we have doesn’t make much difference. It’s time to realise it’s more important things to discuss and improve before talking about managers. Manager success depends on several other factors than managerial skills, and that’s obviously the main reason why example Pep or Klopp never was interested to join United and destroy their reputation. That’s exactly what would’ve happened.

We should be aware of spurious context and erroneous conclusions, and that’s why we also should careful about ditching Rangnick, Ole and former managers. It draws our attention away from the main problem.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I follow Real Madrid. In 2019 our squad looked like they all needed to be put in a garbage bin, it was dire. Failed under three managers.
Today, at least half of that squad is still around and very solid and competitive. It was just a bad season and it dragged down everyone, not really a reflection of their actual quality. On the other hand, there was probably 1/3 of the squad who were truly finished at that level, and they never recovered. We mostly didn't get rid of them, they just don't get minutes anymore.

Probably similar to United. A good chunk of these players will be better after a hard reset.
The thing with United is that this team and most of the players haven't looked any good in the last 8 years or so, whereas with Madrid the team was coming from a very succesful period and it seemed most players had already peaked and going into their decline.

Their most succesful manager has been Mourinho but in his last season he collapsed ended up with Ole and had good results here and there but at best they just stagnated for three years (even then he never got a better points tally or won anything) while spending quite a fortune.

I agree that they have quality players that will look better in a different team and need to move on. So it has also been a problem of not knowing when to cut their losses and overpaying for players to the point it makes them very difficult to move them on so it makes them victim of the sunken cost fallacy.

lex talionis

I'm sure there's a doctoral student in sports management out there somewhere who's writing his dissertation on Ole's failures as United manager, but I'll boil down my criticisms to a few points. But before I go there some of the criticism has to be laid on the laid on the players themselves. I'm thinking of Maguire and Wan-Bissaka. These two were highly regarded players at their previous clubs and it's at least my thesis that their horrific performances are almost entirely their fault, not Ole's. Yes, Ole rushed Maguire back from injury but Maguire has to take responsibility for his own actions, which to date I no evidence that he has. With that, the following:

He leaned too heavily into developing an English core...a key (mythical) component of the "United DNA"
He failed to strengthen our midfield
He was tactically too stubborn
He should have pressed to acquire for Sancho last season

Points 1-3 are probably not controversial, but I suspect Point 4 is. Let me explain myself.

Sancho was there for the taking in the summer of 2020 for what I believe was 107m, which went down 87min the summer of 2021 when we bought him. Saving 20m is no small matter from the Glazers' point of view, but last season would have been the perfect time to bed Sancho into the PL so that he'd be in top gear at the beginning of this season. But more than that, having Sancho on the squad last season very likely would have made the difference between crashing out and not crashing out the CL at the group stage last season. Had we gone in for Sancho last season and, in order to cash that was otherwise wasted, we not brought in Van De Beek, we would have had the winger we needed and not wasted cash on who appears to be a player Ole never rated anyway. It also seems likely that had we gone in on Sancho the previous season we would likely not have wasted the 40-50m we appear to have wasted on Diallo and Pellistri, two other RW players who are nowhere close to being first team regulars. Sure, we'll get some of that back when we sell them, but we'll undoubtedly sell them at a steep loss.

Bringing in Sancho last season would not have abated the club's epic meltdown this season, but we may well have put in a much better overall shift last season -- either going deeper into the CL or perhaps, if still crashing out of the CL, actually winning the EL final. And maybe, just maybe, had we gone in for Sancho in the summer of 2020 we would have gone in for a proper CDM last summer, although it seems more likely than not that Ole really believed we didn't need a CDM given the obvious masterful performances of McTominay and Fred.

The root of the problem is the rot at the top, but that rot extends to the kind of ridiculous player management decisions -- overpaying for an average CB but suddenly being pennywise/pound foolish on a world class RW -- that Ole was willing to accept as the price we all had to pay for his glee that he was given a job he and everyone else knew he unqualified to cope with.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
Don't think any of this is his fault. It's like hiring a non-qualified plumber as a maintenance manager and then wondering why the maintenance department has gone to shit. Only this being worse as you gave him the whole firm to run.

90 + 5min

I agree.

Okay so Ole’s last 15-20 games were not good, just when it should have been clicking and kicking on, the team started to collapse. So many players were out of form and Ole just couldn’t turn them around. Before that he was doing as well as anyone could, I think.

Ole’s last 5-10 games are what gives the vultures their meat. We were mostly terrible over that period, indefensibly bad. He had to go. And now he’s gone, of course he’s an easy target for lazy whingers who can’t be bothered or wilfully refuse to look at the deeper problems which have plagued us since before SAF left and won’t go away by sacking this manager or that.

Next season we should find out if the appointment of RR the “consultant” starts to right the ship. Honestly, though, it is the work of many years to get us back to the top. Personally, I’m not optimistic but it could be good fun either way.
Of course he had to go. No question about that. He was let down by players and it is always easier to change manager. It is little bit harder to change 15 players in the middle of the season. Solskjaer did overall good job despite what all the haters say.

You mean the players he chose to buy? Ole has no excuses about the group of players because they are his chosen group. He had 6? transfer windows and spent hundreds of millions. A lot of our players are mentally weak and average footballers but that doesn't absolve Ole who was also an average manager at best.
Look at positions Solskjaer got us into before calling him average. Look at teams and manager he had behind him. He did that with this group of players that lack character, leadership and few other basic attributes.

Disaster? We came 2nd in 20/21 and pretty much everyone agreed we had a very good summer window. Ole 100% deserved to be sacked, but the squad on paper should be doing much better. Both pre and post Ralf. Even if Ole was the worst coach in the history of the league it does not explain the dramatic drop in levels we saw this season.

Just to be clear. Not blaming Ralf at all here, but pointing fingers at Ole months after hes gone while letting the players off the hook yet again is incredibly dangerous
It is hard to argue when the other side have completly ignored how our player perform and behave.

Managers should be last if people want to blame this season on something. We know who should be blamed first and most. Lets hope some of them are gone in the summer and replaced by players who can give you 100% every game.

As i said, no doubt he deserved to be sacked and no doubt this season was a disaster under him, but it still does not explain why we looked so pathetic at times. The idea that he somehow "ruined" the players by his coaching is nonsense and Tuchel proves that after instantly improving Chelsea when he succeded Lampard

Imo its not coaching and its not tactics. We have a severe cultural problem at our club and it far preceeds Ole. Both under LvG and under Jose we saw player downing tools and "leaking" to the press in the last few months of their tenures. Already you can see quite a few postere here starting to turn on RR, but unless we get rid of the rot within the dressing room and the club it wont matter whos in the dugout because they are completely hamstrung
Correct.

Just kill this thread, we all know Ole was a massive failure as a manager, he damaged the club more than he helped it in his 3 years and left us in probably the worse state we've been since SAF.

No need to keep repeating the same things over and over, I don't think there's any members of the **** any more to defend him.

It's been almost 5 months since he left, let's move on already.
Ole was massive failure? Tell me how? You mean top 3 i Premier League? You mean countless semifinales? Final? If that is massive failure then what is coming behind us? Solskjaer didn't damaged the club. I know that some people like you love to hate what he has done but that doesn't mean that you are right.

Jericholyte2

Things Ole did well:
  • Pick up the mood after Mou
  • Finished in the top 4 twice
  • Signed Fernandes, Varane
  • Made Fred a half decent player
  • Promoted Greenwood
  • Get rid of Sánchez and Lukaku
Things Ole didn't do well:
  • Signing AWB, Maguire, Ronaldo, VDB
  • Wasting money on Amad and Pellestri
  • Renewing Jones, Mata, Matic and Cavani's contracts
  • Making Maguire captain
  • Not selling Lingard or Pogba
  • Having only basic tactical knowledge
  • Overplaying certain players
Things that weren't Ole's fault:
  • Shawn's loss of form
  • Varane's injuries
  • Rashford's loss of form
  • Greenwood's allegations
Well that’s BS! He played him into the ground with his back injury, then did the same with ankle and shoulder injuries.

Best thing was sign Bruno and then…played him to the ground, turning him into a pale shadow of the player who joined.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Well that’s BS! He played him into the ground with his back injury, then did the same with ankle and shoulder injuries.

Best thing was sign Bruno and then…played him to the ground, turning him into a pale shadow of the player who joined.
About Rashford?

It's true he did overplay him but he didn't cripple him. I'd attribute Southgate more to his loss of confidence but even that's harsh to blame it all on him.

I think only Rashford can blame Rashford for his loss of form.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

Nearly every club has 2-4 players that play most of the minutes. For example, people say Fernandes and Rashford were overplayed. To a degree I agree, however, Salah and TAA played similar number of minutes as well last season, and this despite them having played quite a few games less than us.

Look at any and every club around, and you can make the case for nearly all of them.

SAFMUTD

Ole was massive failure? Tell me how? You mean top 3 i Premier League? You mean countless semifinales? Final? If that is massive failure then what is coming behind us? Solskjaer didn't damaged the club. I know that some people like you love to hate what he has done but that doesn't mean that you are right.
How? Not a single trophy, not even challenging for any major title.

Massive flops in his signings in Wan Bissaka and Maguire. Humilliation against Liverpool at Old Trafford. Failing to advance in champions league group stages.

All that in addition to leaving an unsettled squad with glaring holes and unfit players.

A piss poor Europa league final (that we couldn't even win) and "countless" low cup semifinals don't count for much IMO.

I mean what are you even talking about? If Ole is not a major failure I don't know what it takes for you to think someone is.

AFC NimbleThumb

I blame fans like yourself for the mediocrity we’re in. ‘Countless semifinals? Final?’ are we Spurs!

The fact people are still defending the guy after the shower his £300mil reign has brought us is exactly why we deserve everything we got/are getting. At other clubs he’d have gone after the Sevilla semi but no, here people are years later claiming losing to Sevilla a club with a fraction of the resources & who man for man were our inferiors is an achievement.

‘Top 3 in the Premier league’, are we Arsenal!

Amir

Managers should be last if people want to blame this season on something. We know who should be blamed first and most. Lets hope some of them are gone in the summer and replaced by players who can give you 100% every game.
If you want to put the blame on players for failures, you should also credit them for the better seasons. But if it's all about them, what part does the manager have?

We've replaced so many players in recent years. If somehow we keep ending up with ones that have bad attitude, I'm not sure what makes you think it'll be different this time.

So no, I don't think that's the issue. I don't think that somehow City and Liverpool always pick up the ones with good character while we get the bads ones. It's more about football, and the effects that good coaching and having a good team - or bad coaching and having a bad team - have on everyone.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
Liverpool Arsenal and Chelsea had 42, 46 and 50 points on 29 games last year 57 59 and 62 this year. That's how we were 2nd last year. They were all crap.
We were 2nd with 57 points last year and 5th with 50 now. Same shit. Ole was one the biggest mistakes our club has ever made.
Three years for nothing is a very long time. Total waste, disaster of a manager stupid decision.

Last edited:

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Liverpool Arsenal and Chelsea had 42, 46 and 50 points on 29 games last year 57 59 and 62 this year. That's how we were 2nd last year. They were all crap.
We were 2nd with 57 points last year and 5th with 50 now. Same shit. Ole was one the biggest mistakes our club has ever made.
Three years for nothing is a very long time. Total waste, disaster of a manager stupid decision.
Same thing when you last won the league, only team with over 80 points and you were exactly a peak Fergie side that year. That season was quite forgetful.

McTerminator

The nonsense you lot convince yourselves of.

it’s pure copium to blame OGS for the state of the club and squad.

Get the right manager at the right time and you’ll all be saying we have a better squad than city again because he’ll get the players we already have, performing.

Do what you need to, to get through the barren spell, but you’re all talking sh*te.

DeGea’sFeet

Get the right manager at the right time and you’ll all be saying we have a better squad than city again because he’ll get the players we already have, performing.

Do what you need to, to get through the barren spell, but you’re all talking sh*te.
£85m on Maguire and making him captain immediately is not still damaging the Man Utd?

jem

Too early to say if we wasted money on amad and pellestri, that’s such a knee jerk

why wouldn’t Jones be renewed at the time? He wasn’t injured and in the England squad. His bad injury would come later. I dislike the narrative that goes around that he shouldn’t have been given a new contract. Can you all see into the future? Off course he should have got another contract at that time, there was no reason to say he shouldn’t

why shouldn’t matic have been given another?

likewise Cavani based on last season absolutely should have got another year
Agree with you about Amad and Pellistri and giving Cavani another year, but a lot of people were rightly sceptical about the wisdom of giving Jones that contract extension.

stevoc

£85m on Maguire and making him captain immediately is not still damaging the Man Utd?
I thought it was a bit odd but let's be honest circa 2019 there weren't exactly any stand-out candidates for captaincy.

Who was the captain back then Young?

El Jefe

He will be remembered most for lowering standards and creating a sense of entitlement in players far beyond anything ever seen at this club, add in the lack of accountability and it's no surprise why the squad is the way it is.

His insistence on playing his favourites no matter what has created weak personalities. Bruno, Maguire, Shaw and Rashford could probably score own goals on purpose and he still wouldn't sub them or drop them in the next game. All four look lost now that their positions aren't as rosey as they were under Ole.

Bruno was so used to doing things his own way that he's probably past the point of no return now in being coachable. At a point where you needed him to be coached more, same with Rashford, having Ole was the worst thing for them in the long run. Sure they had good stats but once that dried up there's now nothing to fall back on. Sure there must be player accountability but how Ole managed this team was extremely poor.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Agree with you about Amad and Pellistri and giving Cavani another year, but a lot of people were rightly sceptical about the wisdom of giving Jones that contract extension.
Then a lot of people must be able to see into the future because at the time of contract Jones was playing, fit and in the England squad. They must be all mystic megs

edcunited1878

Any consideration the fact that Ole got a trick out of many of the players we want gone now, who were part of his squads?

Rashford, Maguire, Shaw, Bruno, Martial, all had top seasons under Ole. Some players like Fred and Lindelof have been consistently good to very good under Ole and now Rangnick.

There are loads of reasons why many of the same players have just nose-dived in terms of productivity and general attitude. Placing it all on Ole is just an easy scapegoat thing to do.

As a player, his legacy will never be compromised. He's a legend. As a manager, he did a good job even if he didn't win anything in 3 aggregated seasons. The construction of the squad this year has been a total feck up and with Greenwood pretty much done from football, it looks all the more worse, even if that is out of everyone's control not named Mason. This upcoming summer was always going to be another important one because they needed another forward with or without Ronaldo, knowing Cavani was leaving and that was with Greenwood playing a central role on the attacking line. Buying a central midfielder or two was going to happen, plus another solution to RB.

Just feel like Ole and the coaching staff had to deviate too much from what they knew or were good at once Ronaldo came and once they figured out there was unsettled players like Lingard, Greenwood, Rashford, Maguire. Sancho comes in and brings competition to Rashford and Greenwood, then those two go their separate but negative ways.

90 + 5min

How? Not a single trophy, not even challenging for any major title.

Massive flops in his signings in Wan Bissaka and Maguire. Humilliation against Liverpool at Old Trafford. Failing to advance in champions league group stages.

All that in addition to leaving an unsettled squad with glaring holes and unfit players.

A piss poor Europa league final (that we couldn't even win) and "countless" low cup semifinals don't count for much IMO.

I mean what are you even talking about? If Ole is not a major failure I don't know what it takes for you to think someone is.
Are we going to blame Rangnick now to? Or is it early for you?

To not win a trophy is not ok. And here lies problem. Everything needs to be Quick fix. It is not Football Manager. Managers need time. Solskjaer deserved getting sacked for this season. It was to try and get some energy to players because it is easier to sack one manager then 15 players. But to put blame on him when instagramians and pretenders get free card from blame is crazy. Reverse you blaming list.

We have failed before in CL groups. We have been humiliated before by teams from lower divisions. I never look at one specific thing because We would have fired every manager after one two months.

I blame fans like yourself for the mediocrity we’re in. ‘Countless semifinals? Final?’ are we Spurs!

The fact people are still defending the guy after the shower his £300mil reign has brought us is exactly why we deserve everything we got/are getting. At other clubs he’d have gone after the Sevilla semi but no, here people are years later claiming losing to Sevilla a club with a fraction of the resources & who man for man were our inferiors is an achievement.

‘Top 3 in the Premier league’, are we Arsenal!
I don’t know if you still live in 90’s but you should ask youself if football has evolved. We don’t have monopoly on winning everything. They are other clubs around like ManCity. If you think We are on par with them looking at players then it is hard to discuss.

If you want to put the blame on players for failures, you should also credit them for the better seasons. But if it's all about them, what part does the manager have?

We've replaced so many players in recent years. If somehow we keep ending up with ones that have bad attitude, I'm not sure what makes you think it'll be different this time.

So no, I don't think that's the issue. I don't think that somehow City and Liverpool always pick up the ones with good character while we get the bads ones. It's more about football, and the effects that good coaching and having a good team - or bad coaching and having a bad team - have on everyone.
No manager is ever blameless. Solskjaer did wrong in some things to. Nobody is saying that. But to put blame on him all the time while never touching other aspects is what gets on my nerves.
When it comes to players people think that Solskjaer was deciding everything without actually look how our recruitment of players goes.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I thought it was a bit odd but let's be honest circa 2019 there weren't exactly any stand-out candidates for captaincy.

Who was the captain back then Young?
Give it to DDG then. Not on Maguire, ever.

izec

People like to blame Van Gaal for his shit transfers. Ole is just as bad.

Not only that, but he handled the boys completely wrong. Look at Rashy.

Mindhunter

I agree with the general point around OGS lowering the standards. When he came in, the primary job was to arrest the slide, bring back some positivity around the club, and improve the squad morale. He prioritised those things.

We must remember that he wasn’t a manager at the very top of European football to come around and implement radical change. People like Klopp and Guardiola who do it have prior results to show as evidence. He had nothing to show and hence had to make it up as he went along.

If the only problem with the club was morale then he would be the perfect candidate. Unfortunately, it wasn’t and deeper issues are coming to the surface now. We are in a catch 22 situation where the board wants the club to be successful but doesn’t want to hire a manager who demands success because that will amount to lighting a fire under their own backsides. The cycle will continue till we have better leaders in the corporate office, not just on the training ground.

Ludens the Red

Not a jab at Ole but remember during his first window the word was were doing character references and background checks or whatever way they worded it ala Fergie. Only to see this squad now :lol:
:lol: So bad isn’t it. The worse thing about Oles reign were ironically not the results. It’s the absolute horseshit the club and a section of the fanbase presented for three years.

Mainoldo

Then a lot of people must be able to see into the future because at the time of contract Jones was playing, fit and in the England squad. They must be all mystic megs
That the same Phil Jones that cost us an FA Cup final and should of been replaced/sold that summer. Then finds himself back in the team once his mate Carrick has the ear of the manager.

That the context you was talking about? I mean come on.. the whole fanbase was over fed up with this guy.

GueRed

Give it to DDG then. Not on Maguire, ever.
you want a mute as a captain? :D

Maguire was the best candidate to replace Ashley Young in 2019/20

Matic would've been a genuine candidate as well for me if he wasnt injury prone..

golden_blunder

Staff
That the same Phil Jones that cost us an FA Cup final and should of been replaced/sold that summer. Then finds himself back in the team once his mate Carrick has the ear of the manager.

That the context you was talking about? I mean come on.. the whole fanbase was over fed up with this guy.
One match were he made a mistake? I agree that he should have been replaced, in the same way we should have been upgrading. But at that point in time he was fine for the squad.
Anyway let’s be clear here, I’m arguing against all the fans that are saying he should have been released and not given another contract. I mean all the hindsight experts that have popped up. I repeat again that he was fit, in the England squad at the point of new contract. How DARE he pickup a CAREER THREATENING INJURY!! Tossers
I hate having to explain the logic and go over it with fans repeatedly. Grow some brains ffs people

Denis79

Don't think any of this is his fault. It's like hiring a non-qualified plumber as a maintenance manager and then wondering why the maintenance department has gone to shit. Only this being worse as you gave him the whole firm to run.
:lol: Very funny but this is exactly how I feel as well.

Mainoldo

One match were he made a mistake? I agree that he should have been replaced, in the same way we should have been upgrading. But at that point in time he was fine for the squad.
Anyway let’s be clear here, I’m arguing against all the fans that are saying he should have been released and not given another contract. I mean all the hindsight experts that have popped up. I repeat again that he was fit, in the England squad at the point of new contract. How DARE he pickup a CAREER THREATENING INJURY!! Tossers
I hate having to explain the logic and go over it with fans repeatedly. Grow some brains ffs people
Again come on man. The guy had been at the club for what 5 years? It’s not a surprise he got injured, he’s always injured :lol:. We offered him a 6 year deal:lol:.

There’s not hindsight. No one cared he got an England call up he’s been there for before. The pain is we already see what he can do and where it was going. We didn’t need to renew he needed to go like your Johnny Evans before him etc etc. Too much sentiment for certain players over the years and it’s all started with Ole to be honest. I get trying to preserve value but it’s like this new trend of being a good lad and good for the dressing room all came along with this cultural resist. Mata has had two contracts in the past few years and has played as much football as me. Frig all.

Salford_Red83

I swear, when it comes to Ole's tenure as manager of Manchester United his defenders seem to have the memory of a gold fish.

golden_blunder

Staff
Again come on man. The guy had been at the club for what 5 years? It’s not a surprise he got injured, he’s always injured :lol:. We offered him a 6 year deal:lol:.

There’s not hindsight. No one cared he got an England call up he’s been there for before. The pain is we already see what he can do and where it was going. We didn’t need to renew he needed to go like your Johnny Evans before him etc etc. Too much sentiment for certain players over the years and it’s all started with Ole to be honest. I get trying to preserve value but it’s like this new trend of being a good lad and good for the dressing room all came along with this cultural resist. Mata has had two contracts in the past few years and has played as much football as me. Frig all.
Give over. NO club would just release him. I hate stating the obvious but think about what you’re saying.
again I agree with you in trying to sell as part of an upgrade of the squad but it wasn’t as urgent as some of the other bits that needed done (and probably still do). But releasing him? The club wouldn’t have done that, it would’ve been illogical. I do agree however that the length of the contract was OTT

Denis79

Give over. NO club would just release him. I hate stating the obvious but think about what you’re saying.
again I agree with you in trying to sell as part of an upgrade of the squad but it wasn’t as urgent as some of the other bits that needed done (and probably still do). But releasing him? The club wouldn’t have done that, it would’ve been illogical. I do agree however that the length of the contract was OTT
It's too bad with his injuries tbh. I know people don't rate him but I think he would have been a great squad player for us.

I even think that the Smalling / Jones duo was better than Maguire / Lindelof. Looking at this season.