Solskjaer's Press Conference - Everton

united for life

Even the journalists are feeling sorry for him and asking how he is feeling, how embarrassing is that?

Tired clichés, defeatist attitude, and this is meant to be the manager of Manchester United? My word how far we have fallen.
no they are not! It’s these journalists that keep firing at him on every possible occasion. These are the journalists that can’t see anything bad happening except at united. He’s not doing well recently, yes. But NO, these journalists don’t feel sorry for him; they enjoy it.

Castia

no they are not! It’s these journalists that keep firing at him on every possible occasion. These are the journalists that can’t see anything bad happening except at united. He’s not doing well recently, yes. But NO, these journalists don’t feel sorry for him; they enjoy it.
They haven’t put much pressure on him in my opinion. Even now most are saying he’s safe no matter the result.

If this was Jose it would be 10 times worse

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
So what would be the right thing for him to say pre this game?
Seems a pretty tough one to get right. But i've never really got into feasting on the manager's every word before and after. It just adds to the pain.
Its mostly cliched crap anyway but an acknowledgment of the situation without a cliche would be fresh.

'Yeah lads I know we aren't great but were determined to get it right oh and BTW I'm binning Pogba and Mallet head's.'

Something like that :lol::lol:

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Would you sack every manager we employ after their first 6 league games of their (full) second season if they had Ole’s results ?

Do you want nanglesman who we just beat 5-0, I’m applying the same short-termism that’s rife?
Doesn't hurt Chelsea sacking managers, Bayern sacked their manager and it didn't do them any harm. Real don't worry about it.

united for life

They haven’t put much pressure on him in my opinion. Even now most are saying he’s safe no matter the result.

If this was Jose it would be 10 times worse
not much? I read about Poch to united and Ole being a PE teacher everyday! Everyday there is a story about united. The pressure comes with the united job and the media has no mercy

Idxomer

Every time a comparison made between Ole and either Klopp or SAF, this forum's collective intelligence goes down.

90 + 5min

I would not have sacked Klopp because he took over a club that hasns't won the title in decades, he inherited a mediocre squad, and hasn't spent huge money before getting Alisson and Van Dijk (with Coutinho's money covering most of it). And the most important thing - he changed their football right away and improved it a lot progressivly. You could see them getting better and better, until he got those final defensive players to complete the puzzle.

And that is actually all I wanted from Solskjaer so far. Forget trophies, forget even league position - didn't give a damn last season if we finished 3rd or 6th, reached the CL or not. Not important. I wanted to see the sort of coaching work and football style that will make me believe we're heading towards a really good place even if it takes a couple of more years, as it was never going to happen right away anyway. And yeah, we've had a few good perfomances after the lockdown last season, but overall, I never thought it was enough. And obviously this season isn't helping. No, I don't believe we are heading in the right direction.

Mentioning that you're "not saying" he'll be a Pep or a Klopp doesn't actually help. Because honestly, in order for Solskjaer to justify the sort of patience some fans are allowing him - he WILL need to become a Klopp or a Pep. Because waiting and waiting for a manager to become "only" good doesn't make sense to me. If you're going to give someone all this leeway, it should be for greatness.
Well, Rodgers would have won it if Gerrard didn't slip. Next season he was slightly worse and Klopp came. He didn't came to mediocre team. He inherited a very good team. Not PL winners team but a good one. He spent about 400m + before winning Premier League. Let us not think that he just transformed some average players. He spent where he needed to spend. Some wrong decision but after 5year of spending he finally got a team to win Premier League and Champions League. I'm not taking anything from him, but he did spend. Smart. And if that is needed to win, nobody should complain.

Problem with our fans is that they are being impatient. We are the one putting pressure on manager. And then media just keep adding more.That is major, major issue. It is easy to judge after 2-3 (last) games. But it is harder to see bigger picture. If we don't stand behind our team and manager this will end up like vanGaal. Not giving manager enough time. Not mentioning Mourinho because his sacking was not "football" related. More his behaviour.

How much more patience should ‘these’ people have? Another year, another two years of horrendous performances?
I have said, as long as there is progress, changing manager should be off the list. Now, there is a red line for everyone. If we are struggeling halfway through season and are way behind top 3/4 we should have discusion about if we are going the right way. If we are in the mix, give him atleast this year and evaluate. Then next season, demand to go for it.

He'sRaldo

Ole win rate at Utd 55%, Klopp at Dortmund 56% . Who operates(ed) at a higher league standard? Give the guy some time.
What's the loss percentage? Feels to me like Ole loses every other game.

Chairman Steve

Why is sacking the manager some kind of taboo only in Manchester United circles? Everyone does it, it’s fairly standard practice.

Imagine being Burnley now and thinking ”Well we should just give Dyche until the end of the season to get it right”... Are they feck. They’ll look for a new manager if this continues into the new year. They’re not going to commit footballing harakiri for some kind of moral victory, over losing tonnes of Premier League money

In our case, we stand to lose out on Champions League money.

Amir

Well, Rodgers would have won it if Gerrard didn't slip. Next season he was slightly worse and Klopp came. He didn't came to mediocre team. He inherited a very good team. Not PL winners team but a good one. He spent about 400m + before winning Premier League. Let us not think that he just transformed some average players. He spent where he needed to spend. Some wrong decision but after 5year of spending he finally got a team to win Premier League and Champions League. I'm not taking anything from him, but he did spend. Smart. And if that is needed to win, nobody should complain.
Rodgers actually had another full season after he almost won the league title. By the time he was sacked into 2015/16, Suarez was gone, Sterling was gone, Gerrard was gone and Sturridge was regularly injured. They brought in Firmino, who was still settling in. It's not as if Klopp took over the side that nearly won the title in 2014. Not even close.

Yes, Klopp has spent money to win the CL and the League. But all that spending would have amounted to nothing if his coaching wasn't top class along the way. Liverpool became a very good team way before winning the CL in 2019, way before reaching the CL final in 2018. They needed big money to complete the team - especially the centerhalf and goalkeeper - and win the biggest trophies. They didn't need it in order to become a terrific side.

Also, spending money correctly is vital and it helps when you have a clear style as it's easier to identify the right players. With Klopp, Liverpool were able regularly to sign the right players for his football and further improve them. And yes, he was also able to get the most out of average players. I'm looking at some of our signings, like Maguire and AWB, and while they are both good players in their own right, I'm not sure what the plans were with them and how much we realised the things they do not possess will hamper us long term. I'm not seeing a great plan there. And we need it. We need to be spot on with our signings. Those two represent 130m decently spent. Not brilliantly spent.

Problem with our fans is that they are being impatient. We are the one putting pressure on manager. And then media just keep adding more.That is major, major issue. It is easy to judge after 2-3 (last) games. But it is harder to see bigger picture. If we don't stand behind our team and manager this will end up like vanGaal. Not giving manager enough time. Not mentioning Mourinho because his sacking was not "football" related. More his behaviour.
I never wanted Solskjaer, I thought it was a terrible appointment the day he got the job permanently. He obviously had good periods along the way - especially those few matches after the lockdown - but I've seen little to change my mind that we're going nowhere with him. You can call that impatience if you want to. I'm not giving any manager carte blanche. I'm very much willing to wait and see a quality team form in time. I don't expect the league or the CL right now. Heck, I didn't even care if we reach the CL last season. I just want to see progress on the pitch that will convince me we can reach those trophy winning levels in a couple of years. I'm not seeing that at all. We're better than we were when Mourinho left. The squad is better, fresher. But the coaching and management leaves a lot to be desired. And that will limit what we can achieve.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
If Ole were to be sacked tonight, which Premier league club would be lining up to hire him? Even Moyes got a job in the Spanish top flight (how/why i don't know).

LvG could have had about 10 clubs after him if he didn't retire, and Mou, well, he's at Spurs who are about our level - Ole would be looking at a Championship club at best.

MattofManchester

some of our best players are young players, you will see performences that goes up and down.
I've seen this a lot, but....

Anthony Martial - 25 years old
Marcus Rashford - 23 years old
Mason Greenwood - 19 years old

Bruno Fernandes - 26 years old
Scott McTominay - 23 years old
Paul Pogba - 27 years old

Fred - 27 years old
Nemanja Matic - 32 years old

Luke Shaw - 25 years old
Harry Maguire - 27 years old
Victor Lindelof - 26 years old
Aaron Wan-Bissaka - 22 years old

David De Gea - 29 years old

Speaking of our 'best' players, I wouldn't call them young, unless we're calling players youngsters till the age of 27 where the Lingard meme becomes reality.

el3mel

Ole win rate at Utd 55%, Klopp at Dortmund 56% . Who operates(ed) at a higher league standard? Give the guy some time.
Ole is better than 2 times Bundasliga winner confirmed.

Ole's win record also is better than Sir Matt Busby's win record with United, so I guess we can assume Ole is our second best manager ever.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
What exactly is the 'spoiled fan' insult supposed to even mean in terms of point scoring? We don't have to accept being shit for decades before we get good again you know. There's not a defined script to success just because that happened in the past. Bonkers.

AFC NimbleThumb

Every time a comparison made between Ole and either Klopp or SAF, this forum's collective intelligence goes down.
If a person equivocates the beginning of Jurgens tenure at pool to that of OgSs they are quite simply a fool.

If someone is unable to notice the distinct differences between the two then they’re lost.

Valuedrug

It's especially jarring because of how strong his reaction was to the very first of these truly pathetic performances, the game against Everton.

Promised that sort of rock bottom performance and zero effort level would never happen again, but it's happened in what, a dozen matches since then? Maybe more? And now he doesn't even want to comment about the effort levels and instead he just churns out the same platitudes, defeat after defeat where we've been outrun and outfought, about how his boys are good boys and want to work hard and turn things around. Nobody is going to buy that shit.
True, he just seems desperate to keep his job at this point. Honestly, if he loved United as much as he claims, he would offer to step aside, but unfortunately for all parties involved it seems he would rather suffer a stress related heart attack or just allow himself to fall even further than admit he isn't up to the task.

I mean in his own way even Jose pretty much threw in the towel by setting fire to everything in the end, effectively goating the board to sack him. I would respect Ole much more, if he just owned up to reality, but he almost seems to believe his own stories at this point. It's sad to see a fine club servant, or just another human being for that matter, so publically going down this path.

Revaulx

What exactly is the 'spoiled fan' insult supposed to even mean in terms of point scoring? We don't have to accept being shit for decades before we get good again you know. There's not a defined script to success just because that happened in the past. Bonkers.
I’d rather be a spoiled fan than a sanctimonious git :)

Coops73

Does it not remind you of anything?

The tired cliches and defeatist attitude was shown by Moyes through his entire stint, was shown by LVG towards the end of his reign, was shown by Mourinho all the way from pre season in his final season to the day he was sacked.

The same will happen with Poch in 3 years time.

Regardless of who the manager is, the club will continue to be this way for a long time. The club is rotten at the top and trickles down to every part of the club.

As long as the Glazers and are running the show, you are going to have to get used to this repetition every couple of years.
I was going to say more or less the same thing, what I don’t understand is why some fans don’t realise this.

Micky Targaryen

If Ole were to be sacked tonight, which Premier league club would be lining up to hire him? Even Moyes got a job in the Spanish top flight (how/why i don't know).

LvG could have had about 10 clubs after him if he didn't retire, and Mou, well, he's at Spurs who are about our level - Ole would be looking at a Championship club at best.
Give it up bud, you know they will refuse to answer this question. Even Cardiff wouldn’t sign him again.

DickDastardly

Its mostly cliched crap anyway but an acknowledgment of the situation without a cliche would be fresh.

'Yeah lads I know we aren't great but were determined to get it right oh and BTW I'm binning Pogba and Mallet head's.'

Something like that :lol::lol:
Yeah

I think you're mistaking Ole for Keano.

But i understand you, it really does sound fake to the core.
I would assume the fight or flight mechanism would prevail in fights benefit - meaning Ole would go out all guns blazing, but it seems that is not the case.

Bestietom

We can't keep blaming the players. Manager and coaches have to take some blame also.

90 + 5min

Rodgers actually had another full season after he almost won the league title. By the time he was sacked into 2015/16, Suarez was gone, Sterling was gone, Gerrard was gone and Sturridge was regularly injured. They brought in Firmino, who was still settling in. It's not as if Klopp took over the side that nearly won the title in 2014. Not even close.

Yes, Klopp has spent money to win the CL and the League. But all that spending would have amounted to nothing if his coaching wasn't top class along the way. Liverpool became a very good team way before winning the CL in 2019, way before reaching the CL final in 2018. They needed big money to complete the team - especially the centerhalf and goalkeeper - and win the biggest trophies. They didn't need it in order to become a terrific side.

Also, spending money correctly is vital and it helps when you have a clear style as it's easier to identify the right players. With Klopp, Liverpool were able regularly to sign the right players for his football and further improve them. And yes, he was also able to get the most out of average players. I'm looking at some of our signings, like Maguire and AWB, and while they are both good players in their own right, I'm not sure what the plans were with them and how much we realised the things they do not possess will hamper us long term. I'm not seeing a great plan there. And we need it. We need to be spot on with our signings. Those two represent 130m decently spent. Not brilliantly spent.

I never wanted Solskjaer, I thought it was a terrible appointment the day he got the job permanently. He obviously had good periods along the way - especially those few matches after the lockdown - but I've seen little to change my mind that we're going nowhere with him. You can call that impatience if you want to. I'm not giving any manager carte blanche. I'm very much willing to wait and see a quality team form in time. I don't expect the league or the CL right now. Heck, I didn't even care if we reach the CL last season. I just want to see progress on the pitch that will convince me we can reach those trophy winning levels in a couple of years. I'm not seeing that at all. We're better than we were when Mourinho left. The squad is better, fresher. But the coaching and management leaves a lot to be desired. And that will limit what we can achieve.
I know that and I said, after coming near title they had slightly worse season and changed him for Klopp. He still had a very good team. Lots of internationals. But, as always. Manager need time to do it his own way and get it right. Liverpool knew that. They gave him time and money, despite not winning anything and shipping in goals and after couple of years he got that right. That is what we see here. He found balance.

I'm not giving Solskjaer carte blanche. Everything has a red line. But I'm not either one who is demending sacking after one or two lost games. There has to be time and patience. Was I suprised by his appointment? Sure. Was it right to give him permanent job? Absolutly. We are still seeing progress. Even in tough times we can see it. Or, I should say, I can see it.

I've seen this a lot, but....

Anthony Martial - 25 years old
Marcus Rashford - 23 years old
Mason Greenwood - 19 years old

Bruno Fernandes - 26 years old
Scott McTominay - 23 years old
Paul Pogba - 27 years old

Fred - 27 years old
Nemanja Matic - 32 years old

Luke Shaw - 25 years old
Harry Maguire - 27 years old
Victor Lindelof - 26 years old
Aaron Wan-Bissaka - 22 years old

David De Gea - 29 years old

Speaking of our 'best' players, I wouldn't call them young, unless we're calling players youngsters till the age of 27 where the Lingard meme becomes reality.
I wouldn't say either that 27 years is youngsters. But if you look at our first team and those who played most, we are well under 27 years. Just our (Solskjaer) preffered attacking line have average of 22 years. That is young compared to Liverpool and City. This is not excuse for us. Absolutly not. Just answering that we have young squad and that young players tend to be more inconsitent.

Denis79

Feels like Ole has reached that point where literally everything he says will be seen as negative by the fans and media.

A loss against Everton could be the end for Ole.
Don't believe his job hangs on this game, too early in the season for that.

JG3001

I was going to say more or less the same thing, what I don’t understand is why some fans don’t realise this.
Im not willing to throw in the towel until we’ve tried a Nagelsmann, Hassenhutl, Rose type manager. When that time comes and if it fails, then I’ll concede.

We all see there is a problem at the very top, but to date we still haven’t taken a chance on a progressive, forward thinking, attack first coach/manager. Every one so far has been some variation in safety first, play not to lose.

Moyes & Ole had no business ever being manager to begin with and both were always bizarre choices. It’s also no surprise that the other two actually at least won something whilst at United, and in particular, Mourinho having the best spell with us before it all spectacularly blew up.

Personally, I don’t think you can criticise other fans until we truly have exhausted every possibility, which I don’t think we have.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Im not willing to throw in the towel until we’ve tried a Nagelsmann, Hassenhutl, Rose type manager. When that time comes and if it fails, then I’ll concede.

We all see there is a problem at the very top, but to date we still haven’t taken a chance on a progressive, forward thinking, attack first coach/manager. Every one so far has been some variation in safety first, play not to lose.

Moyes & Ole had no business ever being manager to begin with and both were always bizarre choices. It’s also no surprise that the other two actually at least won something whilst at United, and in particular, Mourinho having the best spell with us before it all spectacularly blew up.

Personally, I don’t think you can criticise other fans until we truly have exhausted every possibility, which I don’t think we have.
Would you consider Pochettino in the category of progressive forward thinking manager?

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Give it up bud, you know they will refuse to answer this question. Even Cardiff wouldn’t sign him again.
True, I was just shocked at the comparisons to Klopp - putting that question out there to see if those posters thought Ole could walk into a big to medium sized club again like Klopp after his disastrous final season with Dortmund.

red4ever 79

Don't believe his job hangs on this game, too early in the season for that.
Dont agree with that. MEN news who have a close affiliation with the club confirmed on Thursday we are in talks with Poch. It's just a matter of when now. I think this will be his last game, it has an air of inevitable about it and I think the change will be made over the international break. Ironic it comes against Everton away when the season before last Ole gave his infamous speech of some of these players wont be here and I will be a success.

jamesjimmybyrondean

If a person equivocates the beginning of Jurgens tenure at pool to that of OgSs they are quite simply a fool.

If someone is unable to notice the distinct differences between the two then they’re lost.
I've said it before but my conclusion is that those who think Ole is good enough don't watch other games. They just look at stats

Amir

I'm not giving Solskjaer carte blanche. Everything has a red line. But I'm not either one who is demending sacking after one or two lost games. There has to be time and patience. Was I suprised by his appointment? Sure. Was it right to give him permanent job? Absolutly. We are still seeing progress. Even in tough times we can see it. Or, I should say, I can see it.
I too am seeing progress, which is not shocking when we have a bunch of young/youngish players and spend some money. We are in a better place than we were in December 2018. But I don't believe the quailty of management and coaching we're seeing is enough to take us where we want to be.

JG3001

Would you consider Pochettino in the category of progressive forward thinking manager?
Tricky one, I was an advocate of Poch for a while but became a bit reserved by his implosion with Spurs. He can have his favourites (the decision to play a half fit Kane in that final was suicide, and it didn’t take hindsight to realise that). And he has been questioned on his rigidness with tactics. Both of these points we’ve been criticising Ole for in the last 6-9 months.

Still I think it would be unfair to say he isn’t progressive, a lot of people conveniently forget he did get Southampton & Spurs playing proper blistering attacking football on the front foot for quite a long time. You could also point to a lack of proper investment at Spurs. We do at least provide a somewhat decent budget, if not the best.

All in all & given the current situation, I’d think we’d be making a mistake by not going for him.

Edit: I think it’s just as important to we get the right coaching staff behind the manager as well. I’d say this is where we fall spectacularly short compared to our rivals.

passing-wind

Ole is just not a leader and as things are looking he will never be. I reiterate that he's not a bad manager he's just not good enough for the standard of this club. His lack of consistency is fitting for a decent squad aiming around 12th - 8th, it's oftentimes been the quality of our players over-influencing results and when it happens to often the coaches are in deep trouble.

Coops73

Nagelsman was just tactically arse whipped by Ole only a couple of weeks ago and it wasn’t that long ago Hassunhutl and Southampton were losing 9-0 to Leicester and staring at the relegation zone, if that had happened at United half the fan base would be calling for his head but now Southampton sit top of the league after a few games people think he’s the best out there.

Rose I don’t really know much about so I can’t comment.

Maybe, just maybe these coaches could come in and do a better job but I’m looking at what’s actually happened at our club and it’s been the same old shit from the board for years, it’s the one common denominator.

I don’t know if Ole is the man to get this club back to its best, I’ve questioned some of his decisions of late but to think the next bright young thing can come in and do a better job under this ownership is naive at best.