Some weekend perspective....see, teams do lose football matches!

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Like most people, I expected a Newcastle United thumping by Spurs today. But as we've just seen, Spurs who are currently better than United lost at home to a team arguably as bad, if not worse than Palace.

This is the Premier League and let's be honest, unless you're currently the Dippers or Berties at this moment in time, your team is going to come unstuck when you least expect it at times this season.

The over-reaction and proliferation of threads calling for De Gea to be dumped, Ole to be sacked, half the team to be binned, Smalling to be elevated to godlike status was ridiculous. I honestly don't know what people expect this season. Our squad is a bit thin at the moment. Three of the traditional 'top 6' lost this weekend and two of the challengers dropped points.

We're still in 5th and there are still some big match-ups to come. Our next one is Arsenal at the end of September but yeah we still can't afford to be dropping points in silly games like at home to Palace.

I was gutted we lost but do a feel a bit better seeing Arsenal and Spurs also coming away with nothing... and they face each other next weekend.

We just need to move on.

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
However way you look at it it’s a disappointing result. If we want to compete with the best teams we need to beat Palace at home.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Shouldn't this post masquerading as a crap thread be in the United forums along with the rest of the other crap.

WensleyMU

Losing is so uncommon in football that the only rational reaction is hysterical panic.

Only 3 clubs have ever experienced defeat in football history.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I know what you're saying and I agree constant negativity will just drag us down. Spurs's loss was every bit as poor as ours as you say, but that doesn't make it acceptable. The worry for me is that with our small squad and more energetic press I expect us to struggle further down the line, so if we're blowing early games like Palace at home it doesn't auger well for us.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I know what you're saying and I agree constant negativity will just drag us down. Spurs's loss was every bit as poor as ours as you say, but that doesn't make it acceptable. The worry for me is that with our small squad and more energetic press I expect us to struggle further down the line, so if we're blowing early games like Palace at home it doesn't auger well for us.
No one's saying it is acceptable. That result was shit yesterday but it's happened many times before and will no doubt happen again.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
No one's saying it is acceptable. That result was shit yesterday but it's happened many times before and will no doubt happen again.
Fair enough, I suppose time will tell whether it's a bad blip or we'll make a habit of losing so poorly this year. Every team has the odd bad result for sure, I just hope we can get back on track soon.

The Irish Connection

Half of it is just people venting their frustration, and it was very frustrating. We shouldn’t be losing at home to palace but like you said and I said it to a friend yesterday before the game we should be beating them at home but every team in this league can beat the other on a certain day.
Nice to hear the Newcastle result as it takes some of the disappointment away. And knowing that we didn’t invest in the summer properly again, gives us a bit of hope that we might scrape 4th.
P.s. what the Feck is up with premier league var? Clear penalty on martial missed and city should have had one last week against spurs.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
Was bound to happen. The penalty debacle, the bogey team and losing at OT. Just felt too much like last season and too soon. Win next week and we are back on track. Anything else, god forbid.

Lee565

Problem is it's a continuation of our relegation like form at the end of last season with manager we know deep down is nowhere good enough to be managing a team aspiring to get champions league football in the premier league.

MrPooni

Like most people, I expected a Newcastle United thumping by Spurs today. But as we've just seen, Spurs who are currently better than United lost at home to a team arguably as bad, if not worse than Palace.

This is the Premier League and let's be honest, unless you're currently the Dippers or Berties at this moment in time, your team is going to come unstuck when you least expect it at times this season.

The over-reaction and proliferation of threads calling for De Gea to be dumped, Ole to be sacked, half the team to be binned, Smalling to be elevated to godlike status was ridiculous. I honestly don't know what people expect this season. Our squad is a bit thin at the moment. Three of the traditional 'top 6' lost this weekend and two of the challengers dropped points.

We're still in 5th and there are still some big match-ups to come. Our next one is Arsenal at the end of September but yeah we still can't afford to be dropping points in silly games like at home to Palace.

I was gutted we lost but do a feel a bit better seeing Arsenal and Spurs also coming away with nothing... and they face each other next weekend.

We just need to move on.
3 wins in our last 15 competitive games.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I think the best thing to do is avoid the caf for 24-48 hours after a disappointing result, let the histrionics subside and then logon.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Was bound to happen. The penalty debacle, the bogey team and losing at OT. Just felt too much like last season and too soon. Win next week and we are back on track. Anything else, god forbid.
Bogey team? That was our first home loss to them in 30 years wasn't it?

Sterling Archer

Manchester United losing to bottom clubs in pathetic fashion is not okay because other clubs may do the same. Yesterday wasn't a one off. We're 3 wins in feckin sixteen. So go shove your title. Some clubs win most of their games. United used to be that way. So don't expect us to change our expectations and standards of this club for feckin Spurs

nore1975

Supports
Liverpool
League matches permit three outcomes at the end. No outcome is accompanied by a given right. No one team in the Premier League can expect to achieve a certain outcome because of the opposition. How you expect your team to do against any given opponent in the league depends on

1. Form both of your team and the opposition.
2. The percieved quality of your team and the opposition.
3. The venue of the match.
4. The amount of money spent by your team and the opposition.

The above four criteria omit luck, weather, tactics, effort, temperment and all other factors.

If Ferguson had been subject to the social media generation of fans he may not have survived his initial period from Nov 1986-May 1990. No fan likes to see his side lose. Most fans would take a poor performance with a win over a good performance with a loss.

For the first time since Ferguson left I get a sense of a manager with a plan. Plans take years to implement but he has taken the first steps by bringing in AWB and Maguire. In a three year plan if he gets one line of the team right per season then he could get United to a point of being a business end of winning trophies. It took Klopp three years but you could see a continual improvement. It takes time to build a side. Online forums are very immediate and end up dissecting a performance to the end degree. Their is a bigger picture.

If he gets three years this should be the hardest as he has only started his work. Disappointing results will happen. Setbacks will occur. He has moved on Fellaini, Herrera, Valencia and Lukaku. He is not Moyes. He has grasped nettles. He has made decisive signings. He will move on further fringe players as contract expiries and suitable offers permit.

Yes you are Manchester United but you are not where you are used to being. At some point a manager is going to need to be given time to get you to where you expect to be.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Manchester United losing to bottom clubs in pathetic fashion is not okay because other clubs may do the same. Yesterday wasn't a one off. We're 3 wins in feckin sixteen. So go shove your title. Some clubs win most of their games. United used to be that way. So don't expect us to change our expectations and standards of this club for feckin Spurs
Aww, do you want a hug?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Let’s also not forget that Palace went to the Etihad and The Emirates and won last year. They’re a half decent away side.

Giggsyking

You want us to change our standards? You do know we are on the same track of the relegation form of the end of last season.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

We just need to move on.
Eurgh. Yeh except the difference is this is unusual for spurs, so much easier for them to move on, whereas we've had this crap for years now.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
What I don't understand, is just like in the Spurs match today, and our match yesterday, how did VAR not step in and make the right decisions? That was a blatant penalty for Spurs today. Sure, the Newcastle defender didn't mean to fall and take out Kane, but he still did. The ref didn't have the right sight of the incident so he waited for VAR and no call??? Same with us yesterday. First Rashford is taken down from behind when through on goal by Cahill and it's only a yellow? VAR should have corrected that and gave a red. Then Martial is through on goal and is pulled back in the 18 and no penalty or red when he had an obvious goal scoring opportunity. Not to mention James being given a yellow for diving in a very dangerous area when he got kicked in the knee and was as blatant a foul as it gets. These were all big decisions that the ref got wrong and VAR didn't correct. So if VAR isn't going to help the ref get the correct decisions, then what's the point of VAR???

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
There’s a big difference regarding the results though when you actually look at them.
United had the same issues they had all of last season where they struggled against any side where they couldn’t counter. It was also another defeat in a very poor run of form stretching back 15 or so games. This was not an isolated result.

Spurs had a very poor performance which was out of character. Their home record was solid last season against the poorer sides. Think West Ham and wolves both beat them but barring that they were a strong side at home as you would expect. Spurs issue today was more down to a poor performance and slow tempo as opposed to a recurring issue.

Ban

League matches permit three outcomes at the end. No outcome is accompanied by a given right. No one team in the Premier League can expect to achieve a certain outcome because of the opposition. How you expect your team to do against any given opponent in the league depends on

1. Form both of your team and the opposition.
2. The percieved quality of your team and the opposition.
3. The venue of the match.
4. The amount of money spent by your team and the opposition.

The above four criteria omit luck, weather, tactics, effort, temperment and all other factors.

If Ferguson had been subject to the social media generation of fans he may not have survived his initial period from Nov 1986-May 1990. No fan likes to see his side lose. Most fans would take a poor performance with a win over a good performance with a loss.

For the first time since Ferguson left I get a sense of a manager with a plan. Plans take years to implement but he has taken the first steps by bringing in AWB and Maguire. In a three year plan if he gets one line of the team right per season then he could get United to a point of being a business end of winning trophies. It took Klopp three years but you could see a continual improvement. It takes time to build a side. Online forums are very immediate and end up dissecting a performance to the end degree. Their is a bigger picture.

If he gets three years this should be the hardest as he has only started his work. Disappointing results will happen. Setbacks will occur. He has moved on Fellaini, Herrera, Valencia and Lukaku. He is not Moyes. He has grasped nettles. He has made decisive signings. He will move on further fringe players as contract expiries and suitable offers permit.

Yes you are Manchester United but you are not where you are used to being. At some point a manager is going to need to be given time to get you to where you expect to be.
Good post.

Red Pavan

shittest username ever manutddabest791
I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that bad/shock results do happen and it comes as part of playing in such a competitive league - but this has been a recurring theme over the last few seasons and it's very concerning.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that bad/shock results do happen and it comes as part of playing in such a competitive league - but this has been a recurring theme over the last few seasons and it's very concerning.
Exactly it’s just part of football. If this sort of stuff didn’t happen no one would watch.

thomas porter

We have to start scoring pk's and drop Lingard. Hopefully Martials knock isn't serious and I would like to see us start Greenwood and Gomes next week. We're crying out for more creativity and our current batch of 10's lingard/mata/Perreira are all not good enough.

Bwuk

Losing 2-1 at home to Palace is unacceptable regardless of what Spurs did.

Megadrive Man

Supports
Liverpool
Man City will win the league again this season, no question. Liverpool should finish second, it mainly depends on keeping players fit. After that it is wide open this year. Every team in the Premiership can sign players for a big fee and decent wages, so it makes every single game tougher than it was 10-15 years ago. Teams like Wolves, Leicester, Everton and West Ham are spending 40 to 50 million on players!

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Losing 2-1 at home to Palace is unacceptable regardless of what Spurs did.
Yeah like it's never happened to any team before in the Premier League, even under Fergie. Get a grip!

Balotelli's Bib

Supports
Arsenal
Yeah like it's never happened to any team before in the Premier League, even under Fergie. Get a grip!
3 wins from your last 15 PL games isn't acceptable no matter what way you try spin it. Did Fergie have the same form at one stage too? I'm not sure what you are trying to say, but comparing these sort of losses to those under the great man makes no sense at all.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
3 wins from your last 15 PL games isn't acceptable no matter what way you try spin it. Did Fergie have the same form at one stage too? I'm not sure what you are trying to say, but comparing these sort of losses to those under the great man makes no sense at all.
Ffs, I didn't even say anything about 3 wins in 15 so I'm not trying to spin anything. I was simply referring to United losing against Crystal Palace yesterday. We've lost to teams like that before. Fergie has lost to lower league teams before not just bottom PL teams alone.

Yeah we had a bad end to last season but that's done now. We're still in 5th. It was a bad result for sure and I'm sure we'll have more this season as will most teams. There's no point dwelling on it.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
So here we are again! Another poor performance but at least we didn't lose this time. We obviously need to start winning games but again this weekend has already shown that nothing is a given. Chelsea have drawn after being 2-0 up against newly promoted opposition. Barcelona have drawn against newly promoted opposition and Dortmund have also just been turned over, again by newly promoted opposition.

I just hope we can stay in touch with the pack come January.