SOS to Rio - Who on our coaching staff is training the defence?

Bestietom

This has a lot to do with it. Matic is immobile and not a ‘destroyer’ - more of a DLP. Pogba thinks defensive work is beneath a genius of his calibre. Greenwood is a striker playing on the wing and has very little to contribute defensively - Juan Mata for all his flaws would not have allowed Solly March to be free at the back post 7-8 times in that Brighton game.

We need a two proper midfielders in front of the centre backs and a right winger who knows how to defend.
Why not try VdB on right hand side of 3.

Last edited:

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
I'm not sure the Dutch hoofed it long "at every opportunity", though they certainly did (as did DDG) when it was the best option. We clearly haven't got the players to play out from the back; Shaw maybe, but he has other issues.
It wasn't obvious watching at the time, certainly not in '74 but having read a book by Johan Cruyff on 'Total Football' in the 70's, his time at Ajax and Barcelona he went into detail on how he copied Rinus Michels tactics when he was Ajax Manager and instructed Stanley Menzo(probably the first sweeper-keeper)to get the ball to van Basten, van't Schip, Bosman or Bergkamp as often as he could, and as quick as he could.

He also said Jan Jongbloed, who was only 4th or 5th choice for the Netherlands at the time(74) was chosen over other keepers when Jan van Beveren(by far their best keeper) refused to go to the '74 finals after a fall-out with Cruyff! because he was best suited to carrying out the instructions.

Shaw, no comment.

Revaulx

It wasn't obvious watching at the time, certainly not in '74 but having read a book by Johan Cruyff on 'Total Football' in the 70's, his time at Ajax and Barcelona he went into detail on how he copied Rinus Michels tactics when he was Ajax Manager and instructed Stanley Menzo(probably the first sweeper-keeper)to get the ball to van Basten, van't Schip, Bosman or Bergkamp as often as he could, and as quick as he could.

He also said Jan Jongbloed, who was only 4th or 5th choice for the Netherlands at the time(74) was chosen over other keepers when Jan van Beveren(by far their best keeper) refused to go to the '74 finals after a fall-out with Cruyff! because he was best suited to carrying out the instructions.
Interesting. I can well believe that it would be Cruyff's way or the highway!

Shaw, no comment.
Fair enough. I find it really frustrating that while he falls short in lots of ways, he is decent at taking people on; at least until he gets to the final third.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Interesting. I can well believe that it would be Cruyff's way or the highway!

Fair enough. I find it really frustrating that while he falls short in lots of ways, he is decent at taking people on; at least until he gets to the final third.
His Son was a chip off the Old Block, remember SAF saying that Jordi stopped a training session once and said they were doing it all wrong, they should be doing this, they should be doing that, then walked off in a strop. Probably exaggerated a bit by SAF, but Jordi himself made reference to it later in a prog on MUTV.

On Shaw when he's good he's very good, but when he's not he's a liability, I just don't think the guy has put any effort into learning the position, and you'd think with all the time he's had away from the pitch he'd at least do some research. Off the cuff only get's you so far.

Gopher Brown

Why not try VdB on right hand side of 3.
He’ll want to drift inside the whole time, unless we play a diamond, but then Wan Bissaka isn’t great going forward.

VdB wasn’t signed as a right winger, so why try and play him there.

One step forward and two steps back

Bestietom

He’ll want to drift inside the whole time, unless we play a diamond, but then Wan Bissaka isn’t great going forward.

VdB wasn’t signed as a right winger, so why try and play him there.

One step forward and two steps back
VdB can play anywhere across the middle, and I'm sure he could fit in on the right hand side.

passing-wind

I'm not sure the Dutch hoofed it long "at every opportunity", though they certainly did (as did DDG) when it was the best option. We clearly haven't got the players to play out from the back; Shaw maybe, but he has other issues.
Must say I disagree Lindlelof / Maguire are defenders who's strengths are supposedly ideal for playing out from the back, it's almost like their USP. They are certainly better on the ball than they are defending from my perspective. I think the only suspect individual would be AWB who isn't as dynamic in possession.

Playing out from back is also a manager's responsibility to adequately coach the players in drills to the extent it's almost muscle memory. Our midfield is often disjointed utilising space I don't think it's a coincidence the defense struggles too. There's somewhat a myth that Solskjaer has us play good football I'd recommend fans to watch us during the late 90's, a Tiki Taka Barcelona, Bayern Munich last season, Liverpool of the season before last and City here and there to requalify their definition.

Culturally Ole is the right fit but tactically he's either going to take the team forward or hit a ceiling which would be the summation of last season finishing 3rd.

Revaulx

Must say I disagree Lindlelof / Maguire are defenders who's strengths are supposedly ideal for playing out from the back, it's almost like their USP. They are certainly better on the ball than they are defending from my perspective. I think the only suspect individual would be AWB who isn't as dynamic in possession.
Supposedly being the operative word here. And with Lindelöf and Maguire I do wonder how much it’s down to coaching/instructions. Lindelöf looks much classier playing for Sweden, and Maguire is clearly comfortable enough on the ball, though he has little idea what to do with it.. It would be good if he didn’t hang onto it for so long although, as you go on to say, the disjointed midfield doesn’t exactly provide many options for passing forward.

Playing out from back is also a manager's responsibility to adequately coach the players in drills to the extent it's almost muscle memory. Our midfield is often disjointed utilising space I don't think it's a coincidence the defense struggles too. There's somewhat a myth that Solskjaer has us play good football I'd recommend fans to watch us during the late 90's, a Tiki Taka Barcelona, Bayern Munich last season, Liverpool of the season before last and City here and there to requalify their definition.

Culturally Ole is the right fit but tactically he's either going to take the team forward or hit a ceiling which would be the summation of last season finishing 3rd.
I dunno; we have played some genuinely good football under Ole but it’s been in infrequent patches, wedged between periods of awful stuff that’s hardly been better than what was served up in Jose’s last twelve months. It’s been a weird season so far and I’m prepared to wait a bit longer to see how things pan out. But I don’t think there’s any doubt he needs to beef up his coaching team with someone from outside. That’s what SAF would have done :)

Bestietom

We have Ole, Phelan, Carrick, and a few other coaches. Surely they can talk together and find the problems that we have and correct them. If they can't they shouldn't be there.
A top club needs the right manager AND coaches to succeed. Players who do not perform ( no matter who they are) should be dropped. The management team should confer, and make decisions together on team selection and changes to improve the side.
I thought this was our philosophy when Ole was appointed with his coaching staff. Well if it is not working, change it.