Other Soundbar

Jacob

I want to buy a soundbar that works well with the TV for music, movies, Playstation etc.

Any recommendation? I don't want to spend more than £300.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Harman Kardon SB20?

EDIT:

Hmm, will probably cost more than 300.

Xeno

Big fan of Sonos for the plug & play / interface, plus it looks the best. Can keep adding to it with a sub, Play:1s for surround & Play:5 etc.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I would like to get a soundbar. New thin TVs have shit sound or I am going deaf. But I am told that it doesnt work when I use it with a Chromecast? What do I need to do to work around that?

Reddy Rederson

How are these things in comparison to a surround sound set-up?
Late, but I’ll assume you still want an answer. I bought a full set of wharf dale diamond 8s years ago and they served me well ever since. 2x8.4s, 2x8.1s, 1x8 center and 1x sub with a few different receivers over the years. They sounded amazing. I’ve annoyed countless neighbours over the years.

But I’m old now and don’t want the giant speakers taking up the room so wanted to get something more discrete. Opted for a Bose soundtouch 300 and let me tell you, the sound is amazing. Forget the fact it’s amazing for a bar, it’s just amazing. Sound fills the room with ease and has a nice punchy bass to it. I later added in the surrounds and the sub, and holy fecking shit. All these tiny speakers, and they sound better than my old set up with out taking up any of the space.

I’ve been to test out more than a few set ups and most of the sound bars I’d say need a sub to give a bit of weight to the sound, but they do the job very well for what they are. The one that stood out the most for the sound it gave next to its size was the sonos beam. It’s really really small for a sound bar, but the sound and bass off of it are exceptional. The only issue is that it appears to need to a Dolby digital signal to get that sound, as its pro logic is pretty naff. And no dts support, or hdmi in. Arc only.

Tl;dr yes, some of them more than hold their own against separates. But you’ll be paying 400 plus to get that good sound, and a lot more to expand with surrounds and subs.

Reddy Rederson

I would like to get a soundbar. New thin TVs have shit sound or I am going deaf. But I am told that it doesnt work when I use it with a Chromecast? What do I need to do to work around that?
If you’ve got an audio out from your tv, it will work with chromecast. Most will take an optical of use hdmi arc. Either way, the sound from th chromecast will go through the tv and into the soundbar.

sglowrider

If you’ve got an audio out from your tv, it will work with chromecast. Most will take an optical of use hdmi arc. Either way, the sound from th chromecast will go through the tv and into the soundbar.
Cheers!

Too many years of concerts and/or music headsets has taken its toll. TV speakers sounds just aren't sharp enough anymore.

Reddy Rederson

Cheers!

Too many years of concerts and/or music headsets has taken its toll. TV speakers sounds just aren't sharp enough anymore.
It’s not you, tv speakers are utter dog shit now that they are all super thin. Not that they were that great to start with :lol:. But yeah highly recommend going into a shop and trying out a few bars. Some are pretty good on their own, others need a sub to give it that bite you’ll want for movie night. You might be able to get a Bose soundtouch 300 for a bit cheaper now that the 500 and 700 have been released. Samsung ms 750 isn’t too bad, but theres better value in the 650.

Happy hunting, buddy.

sglowrider

It’s not you, tv speakers are utter dog shit now that they are all super thin. Not that they were that great to start with :lol:. But yeah highly recommend going into a shop and trying out a few bars. Some are pretty good on their own, others need a sub to give it that bite you’ll want for movie night. You might be able to get a Bose soundtouch 300 for a bit cheaper now that the 500 and 700 have been released. Samsung ms 750 isn’t too bad, but theres better value in the 650.

Happy hunting, buddy.
What? I cant hear you. I need to increase the font size to hear you again!! ;)

Jacob

Harman Kardon SB20?

EDIT:

Hmm, will probably cost more than 300.
:lol:

I just ordered a soundbar with a wireless subwoofer and I remember that I had a thread on this on RedCafe. So I went back to check what was said and realize I actually spent roughly 300 (as stated in the OP) and unknowingly went for the first suggested model (Harman Kardon SB20).

Scary.

Edit: List price was 305 but got it for 244 with a discount from work.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
:lol:

I just ordered a soundbar with a wireless subwoofer and I remember that I had a thread on this on RedCafe. So I went back to check what was said and realize I actually spent roughly 300 (as stated in the OP) and unknowingly went for the first suggested model (Harman Kardon SB20).

Scary.

Edit: List price was 305 but got it for 244 with a discount from work.
My job here is done. :D

littlepeasoup

Whilst we're on the subject of soundbars I've got a general question any techy audiophiles in here might be able to answer. Pretty please! :D

Bought a Philips soundbar a few years back and I was really happy with it, and it was sounded great, but recently the sound from it has been starting to crackle and break up at certain louder tones (the kind of sound I'd get from my crappy flat-screen speakers). - I got it from Richersounds, so I've still got it under warranty... should I be asking for a replacement?

SirAF

Ageist
Great timing! I’m considering the Samsung HW-N960. Normally it retailes around 1500 EUR, but is now on sale for about 600. Anyone have any experience with it? Will be used with a Samsung TV that only utilize Apple TV.

RMD83

My b
Great timing! I’m considering the Samsung HW-N960. Normally it retailes around 1500 EUR, but is now on sale for about 600. Anyone have any experience with it? Will be used with a Samsung TV that only utilize Apple TV.
My brother has one of the latest Samsung soundbars, not sure which model but one of if not the biggest model. He hasn’t added the sub or rears and I have to say it delivers impressive sound and width for a soundbar. Still not the quality of a separate 5.1 set up but for a soundbar it is very good.

SirAF

Ageist

My brother has one of the latest Samsung soundbars, not sure which model but one of if not the biggest model. He hasn’t added the sub or rears and I have to say it delivers impressive sound and width for a soundbar. Still not the quality of a separate 5.1 set up but for a soundbar it is very good.
Cheers.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I've been thinking about getting one for years now but think I might be better off with a 2.1 set up, with the speakers on stands. Any recommendations? Budget would be no more than £200. Would go used.

Jacob

Guys I just realized the soundbar I ordered only has one HDMI outlet (ARC).

I have three devices using HDMI, the PS4, the flat screen TV and finally the digital TV box.

How would I set this up? All devides connected to TV and TV finally connected to soundbar? TV does support ARC as well.

littlepeasoup

Guys I just realized the soundbar I ordered only has one HDMI outlet (ARC).

I have three devices using HDMI, the PS4, the flat screen TV and finally the digital TV box.

How would I set this up? All devides connected to TV and TV finally connected to soundbar? TV does support ARC as well.
Yeah, HDMI between your HDMI-ARC port on your TV to the soundbar, and then connect everything to your TV. Pretty wonderful thing ARC.

Jacob

Yeah, HDMI between your HDMI-ARC port on your TV to the soundbar, and then connect everything to your TV. Pretty wonderful thing ARC.
Thanks.. Do you think that lessens sound quality from e.g. Playstation? Having to go via TV first?

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Big fan of Sonos for the plug & play / interface, plus it looks the best. Can keep adding to it with a sub, Play:1s for surround & Play:5 etc.
Can the soundbar be used as 3rd music speaker when not being used for films? I've got 2 Plays and fancy adding to them.

littlepeasoup

Thanks.. Do you think that lessens sound quality from e.g. Playstation? Having to go via TV first?
The TV might process the sound to a degree, but probably not in a way that's perceptible. There's a new standard that's being talked about called eARC which has no degradation from source to TV to output speakers because of an increased bandwidth, but I assume it'll take a while to catch on.