McTominay
Pogba Fred
James. Rashford
Martial

If we need a goal which is likely bring on Gomes for Fred and go to a 4231

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
I find your team to be a silly knee-jerk reaction, to be honest. Average age of that side is 22, that's including a 28 year-old GK.

Chucking the likes of Greenwood, Gomes, Garner, all in the first XI for the next game and asking them to turn around the sides fortunes is ridiculous pressure. All 3 are still kids.

NWRed

I find your team to be a silly knee-jerk reaction, to be honest. Average age of that side is 22, that's including a 28 year-old GK.

Chucking the likes of Greenwood, Gomes, Garner, all in the first XI for the next game and asking them to turn around the sides fortunes is ridiculous pressure. All 3 are still kids.
I didn't say I expected them to turn the tables, although I actually think they would perform better than the players they are replacing, what I said was I think that side would grow into a title winning team and the sooner we start playing them the better. Playing that side is not about the next game, or even the next ten games, it's about next season, and the seasons after that.

NWRed

DDG and back 4 stays the same if Shaw is fit.

Midfield will be Mctominay and Pogs.

Then Pereira at 10 with James, Rashford and Martial ahead of him.

If Ole is brave we go 4-4-3 with same front three but Andreas at 10 being switched with Fred in Mid. Then having Gomes or Mata as the potential number 10 sub if Southampton just sit in a low block all game.
Playing 12 men would definitely help.

CR1

I would go with:

FORMATION: 4-3-1-2
Martial Rashford
(Mata or Gomes)
Pogba (Pereira or Fred) McTominay
Shaw Maguire Lindelöf AWB
DDG

Second half; bring on James, Greenwood and the one who didn't start out of Pereira and Fred.

I think 4-3-1-2 or 4-4-2 diamond suit us better at the moment. Why play 4-3-3 when we clearly don't have a proper right winger/forward?

I'm not sure what team Ole will go with.

Alemar

It will be a signal to the owners that the squad is shite and measures to be taken. Also it will be a signal to shite players that enough is enough.

Results won’t suffer - those are already as bad as it can be. OGS needs to find some balls and leave Lingard and Matic outside the game squad for at least several games in a row.

AceUnited

Of course, because the team is currently shite.

Then be a good plastic boy and support the Baby blues. God knows, they need all the support and no shows they can get.

True Red's stand by the team through thick and thin.

Last edited by a moderator:

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
I didn't say I expected them to turn the tables, although I actually think they would perform better than the players they are replacing, what I said was I think that side would grow into a title winning team and the sooner we start playing them the better. Playing that side is not about the next game, or even the next ten games, it's about next season, and the seasons after that.
What do you think happens to the confidence of these lads if they continue losing games week-in, week-out? And do you think United fans will accept similar results just because it's a bunch of academy lads playing? Of course not.

You don't grow a title winning team just by chucking all your perceived most talented young players in and thinking game-time = them fulfilling their potential as individuals and a team. These lads need to be introduced to a confident and winning environment, not thrown in when the chips are down and expected to create one.

jackal&hyde

We have to give Gomes a start or more realistic move Pogba forward bacause Lingard and Mata are just not playing football right now.

robinrooney

I've been a fan of Jessie but it is time he had a few weeks out of the 1st team. No goals or assists in 2019 is shocking for any player in a forward position.

Was against giving Mata a new contract due to his age but I would play him instead of Jessie.

Same team as yesterday but with Mata in.

If Shaw is injured, play Dalot. Young is so frickin bad it hurts just typing his name.

NWRed

What do you think happens to the confidence of these lads if they continue losing games week-in, week-out? And do you think United fans will accept similar results just because it's a bunch of academy lads playing? Of course not.

You don't grow a title winning team just by chucking all your perceived most talented young players in and thinking game-time = them fulfilling their potential as individuals and a team. These lads need to be introduced to a confident and winning environment, not thrown in when the chips are down and expected to create one.
I think they will learn from their experiences, they know they aren't expected to win the league this season but will gain experience and get used to PL football.

The class of 92 actually broke through because SAF sold experienced players, like Ince, Kanchelskis and Hughes and threw the youngsters into a team that was in no way dominant (they'd lost the previous seasons title to Blackburn), they were a bit older than the our current youngsters but the same principle applies. After that SAF always maintained a sucessful side and so had to introduce youngsters into a successful team slowly, otherwise the teams results would suffer and he'd piss off the players who were winning him titles. That doesn't mean it's the only way it can be done or even the way it should be done. If a player is good enough they're old enough.

RedNed77

We'll be fielding the U12 side by Christmas if a mistake like Lindelöf's means a player will be dropped.
Not just me then. I watched it yesterday and wasnt really sure what more he could have done to be fair. I think theres a point about the back four being more organised and covering when that happens, but a player running to jump into a header is going to beat most players who are on a standing start unless theres a huge size difference.

SaintMuppet

4 games in and no idea of best side....

Not something I’d expect to see from a top 4 side. Ole will be fiddling all season I think.

Member 101269

Dropping Lindeof? Maguire didn't cover himself with glory yesterday by not tracking / covering Lindeof.

Smores

He needs to play Pogba further forward. If Fred/Periera/Matic can't even be trusted in midfield against Southampton then we should have thought about actually fixing the midfield.

DickDastardly

Same team.

Just swap Mata with Lingard and Greenwood for Martial if injured.

I keep telling you, give Juan a run of games, we will tick.

manu11223344

Id prob keep the same team , its just the postion in the hole that needs filling , someone to turn and unlock teams , ive seen it numorous times in football if you dominate and dont score the opposing team sucker punch you , i feel it everytime utd play.

Fair enough dont start gomes but ffs at least put the kid on the bench.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
I think they will learn from their experiences, they know they aren't expected to win the league this season but will gain experience and get used to PL football.
I'm not talking about just 'not winning the league', I'm talking about the very real/realistic possibility that results and performances continue along the same vein, or even get worse.

Again - how do you think the fans will respond if these youngsters play regularly and you end up finishing 6th/7th? You lot will start calling for their heads and the shroud of negativity that follows the club will continue, and these young lads will be caught up right in the middle of it.

The class of 92 actually broke through because SAF sold experienced players, like Ince, Kanchelskis and Hughes and threw the youngsters into a team that was in no way dominant (they'd lost the previous seasons title to Blackburn), they were a bit older than the our current youngsters but the same principle applies. After that SAF always maintained a sucessful side and so had to introduce youngsters into a successful team slowly, otherwise the teams results would suffer and he'd piss off the players who were winning him titles. That doesn't mean it's the only way it can be done or even the way it should be done. If a player is good enough they're old enough.
Yes, I know the story around the Class of '92 thanks. I also knew you'd bring this up.

Football and the world in general isn't the same as it was 27 years ago. The PL is far more competitive, you have super-powers like City who can buy a second XI that would compete for the top 4, you have 6 teams who could be considered to be title-challengers. You have mid-table clubs who can spend £50m on players thanks to the insane TV money. You also have a much more accessible media, that means a player can wake up in the morning with death treats on his phone from 'fans' online just for having a shit game.

Chucking these lads in this team for many reasons is NOT the same as introducing the likes of Beckham and Butt in as regulars. As you mentioned they were older, but importantly they had more first team experience, played in a better side with top players in a winning environment (United finished 2nd and lost to Blackburn by a single point) under a great manager, and in a league that wasn't as competitive as it is now without 50% of the pressure to perform from the media and the public that these lads have to deal with.

SAF sold the likes of Ince and Kanchelskis and introduced Beckham and Butt because - based on what he had already seen of them in the first team - he had supreme confidence they could replace these more established first-team stars and slot right in to what was already a winning team. Ole has no idea what his best side is, isn't winning games, and throwing these lads in isn't necessarily a show of confidence in them as players, it's a show of desperation that what he thought would work, isn't.

Tel074

Without resorting to insulting the players who've played so far this year, or just moaning, what team would you pick and what team do you think Ole will pick.

I would pick:
De Gea
Wan-Bissaka Tuanzebe Maguire Shaw
Garner Pogba
Greenwood Gomes Rashford
Martial​

I think this team would, in a season or two, grow into a title challenging/winning side and the sooner we start playing it the better. I'd drop Lindeof given his vulnerability in the air and Tuanzebe should be given his chance in defence. Garner is far too good for U23 and given our other midfielders lack of form/quality I would start him, I think he'll take to it like a duck to water and surprise everyone. We've been lacking creativity at 10 so far this season and Gomes is the player to provide it, he will be inconsistent to begin with but he'll also provide the spark we need. I'd go with Greenwood over James as I think James can be more effective as an impact sub and Greenwood deserves a full game to show what he can do. The rest of the team picks itself really.

I think Ole will pick:
De Gea
Wan-Bissaka Smalling Maguire Shaw
Fred Matic
James Pogba Rashford
Martial​

I think Ole will go with the experienced players, I can see him dropping Lindelof but he'll probably go with Smalling before Tuanzebe. Fred and Matic should be fit so I think he'll go with both and push Pogba further forward to replace Lingard. He'll probably stick with James given his goals, Rashford and Martial pick themselves.

Honestly do you actually believe that team could challenge for a title in a few years time ?

Castia

De Gea
AWB Lindelof Maguire Young (presuming Shaw/Dalot out)
Pereira Pogba McTominay
James Martial Rashford

Gomes to make an appearance from the bench.

2-2

£400+m spent and we've ended up with that squad. Heads should fecking role.

Sp00ks11

Dropping Lindleof over 1 poor challenge for a header is stupid, back 4 should remain the same. Lingard however has had a 2 month spell of playing well in his whole United career and should rightly be dropped. Gomes needs to take his spot.

OleGunnar20

My choice, assuming Shaw is injured:

-------------------- De Gea
AWB - Tuanzebe - Maguire - Young
------------- McTom - Pogba
Greenwood - Gomes - Rashford
--------------------- Martial

If Martial is unfit Rashford moves to #9 with James at LW.

I think Tuanzebe has more potential than Lindelof, who while steady, is not someone to be building a defence around imo. If we think Tuanzebe has the potential to be a mainstay why not get him going.

Greenwood / Gomes would provide far more creativity against a packed defence than James / Lingard. Teams know we can't break them down so we need to switch this up I think. The former two also arguably have much higher potential, so again, worth developing.

This looks to be yet another up and down, transitory season. Why not blood what is our most promising group of youngsters in years. I hope Ole is given assurances that he's safe to operate on this way and moves on from the likes of Lingard & Mata.

My prediction:

Same XI as Palace with Pereira in for Lingard. I hope Ole proves me wrong.

Foritfied

Honestly do you actually believe that team could challenge for a title in a few years time ?
It's a bizarre statement, really. We look miles off of it and we'd hope we would supplement the team with actually good players before hoping our kids develop into worldies. Anyone seriously advocating we play unproven children before experienced players because 'they'll win us the league in 2 years' needs to have their head checked.

Our expectations have fallen so far some would be okay with risking relegation in the hope that we win the talent lottery and have a class of 19 to win us something in years to come.

That said, same team vs Southampton for me, with Lingard being dropped for... anyone else. Figure it out Ole. The better we can get by without needing JLingz' "important off the ball work" the better.

NWRed

I'm not talking about just 'not winning the league', I'm talking about the very real/realistic possibility that results and performances continue along the same vein, or even get worse.

Again - how do you think the fans will respond if these youngsters play regularly and you end up finishing 6th/7th? You lot will start calling for their heads and the shroud of negativity that follows the club will continue, and these young lads will be caught up right in the middle of it.

Yes, I know the story around the Class of '92 thanks. I also knew you'd bring this up.

Football and the world in general isn't the same as it was 27 years ago. The PL is far more competitive, you have super-powers like City who can buy a second XI that would compete for the top 4, you have 6 teams who could be considered to be title-challengers. You have mid-table clubs who can spend £50m on players thanks to the insane TV money. You also have a much more accessible media, that means a player can wake up in the morning with death treats on his phone from 'fans' online just for having a shit game.

Chucking these lads in this team for many reasons is NOT the same as introducing the likes of Beckham and Butt in as regulars. As you mentioned they were older, but importantly they had more first team experience, played in a better side with top players in a winning environment (United finished 2nd and lost to Blackburn by a single point) under a great manager, and in a league that wasn't as competitive as it is now without 50% of the pressure to perform from the media and the public that these lads have to deal with.

SAF sold the likes of Ince and Kanchelskis and introduced Beckham and Butt because - based on what he had already seen of them in the first team - he had supreme confidence they could replace these more established first-team stars and slot right in to what was already a winning team. Ole has no idea what his best side is, isn't winning games, and throwing these lads in isn't necessarily a show of confidence in them as players, it's a show of desperation that what he thought would work, isn't.
I don't really care what 'the fans' would think or say, if they start having a go at kids for being inconsistent and dropping points then their opinions aren't worth listening to. The fact is we aren't achieving now anyway, so I think throwing in a few youngsters would not only develop them quicker, but might actually improve us now.

I saw the 95/96 season and I can tell you that Beckham, Butt and Scholes didn't walk into the side and start tearing the league apart, they showed their quality at times but were inconsistent, just as these youngsters would be. We only won the 95/96 title due to the back 5, Keane and Cantona. I can tell you that every single one of them grew as the season went on and the next season they were all far more influential, that is what I would expect from giving these youngsters plenty of playing time this season.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I’d go with same team but Andreas in place of Jesse, and have Young at left back.

I’d definitely stick with the CB pairing, dropping Lindelof would be a daft move.

I would however have Gomes on the bench in place of Mata and I’d look to give him 20 mins in place of Andreas and same with Greenwood in place of James.

Blood Mage

De Gea
Young Lindelof Maguire Wan-Bissaka
Pogba McTominay
James Pereira Rashford
Martial
Gomes on the bench to replace Pereira in the second half. It would be harsh to drop Lindelof after one bad display, he was very good against Chelsea and Wolves.

Steven-UK

Then be a good plastic boy and support the Baby blues. God knows, they need all the support and no shows they can get.

True Red's stand by the team through thick and thin.
Pal, I have been to more live united games over the last 30 years than you will ever go to. "True Red's"? You sound like a 5 year old :lol:

The fact is this is the worst United team we have had. Nobody mentioned about not supporting them, but they are shite at the moment, and have been for 7 years.

We will win feck all with dross like Rashford leading the line, and a manager like OGS who seems utterly clueless tactically.

Last edited:

Lee565

It's a crazy idea but how about a balanced side that that plays to our best strengths of what we have.

------------------ de gea
----bissaka--maguire-tuanzebe or smalling
dalot--mctominay---pogba--shaw
---------------------gomes
---------------martial---rashford

You could even consider James replacing either dalot or shaw as a wingback because along with his pace he has shown the work rate to track back. I'm not sold on Maguire and lindelof in the same central defence with both lacking pace and ain't world class defensively to make up for it either.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Doesnt matter, we're dropping more points. Be lucky to come away with a draw.

Fourth league game of the season and Young is back in the starting 11, plus our supposed ideal centre-forward replacement for Lukaku (as #9) is also injured. Our squad is pathetic.
So just give up?

Fahad Jawaid

I think we have enough legs and pace in the likes of Rashford and Martial we need guile in attack not more pace (James) and aimless running (Lingard). We should play Mata and Gomes, so that we have atleast 2 players in the front 4 capable of using the ball well and link up attack.

Lineup should be:
Martial
Gomes Mata Rashford
Pogba Mctominay
Same back four
Ddg
Or

Martial
Gomes Pogba Rashford
Fred/Perriera Mctominay
Same back four
Ddg