Kick-off
Sun, 29 November 2020 @ 2:00pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

hobbers

Pogba's got one of those convenient injuries players get when the manager wants to drop them.

Marcus

Why do they call it Ovaltine? The mug is round. The jar is round. They should call it Roundtine.
    Maybe because it is supposedly linked to athletic performance and stadiums are usually oval in shape. :)

Marcus

VDB-Fred-Bruno for midfield for me. Rashford and Martial on the wings. Cavani up top.
    I would start with James on the wings instead of Rashford. Sub him out for the Rashford after he has run the Southampton defence ragged.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
    Pogba's got one of those convenient injuries players get when the manager wants to drop them.
    He was fine to play for France, but did not play for MUFC, either side of those 3 games.
    I really do think it would be good for all parties if he left. The guy needs do something big for his own career and we need to off-load his salary, to use on another player who at least is good enough to play for our first XI.

dal

Have you actually watched Pogba for us in 2020? He's been shocking. We won't miss him.

VDB is an improvement on him for me. Not only does he try harder, he doesn't lose the ball in dangerous areas. Last time we played Southampton Pogba had an absolute shocker and his mistake led to one of their goals.
    Yes, I totally get the Pogba pressing thing but he’s been useful when playing higher up and it’s more about squad options.

My initial reaction was more worrying about Mctominay Being out.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
    Not what I wanted to hear whilst sipping on my ovaltine. Ings and Redmond are out for them I guess.

———————De Gea
    AWB—Maguire—Lindelof—Telles
    —————Fred——Matic—————
    ——VDB———Bruno——Rashford
    ———————Martial———————
    I’m a bit worried about the 2 CM’s, both are so bad when being pressed. For that reason Van de Beek makes more sense, the same way he made light work of Leipzig.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
    I couldn't give a damn if we are absolute horse muck for the whole game as long as we win. Three points is all that matters. Being outplayed for 90 minutes and winning in the 91st with a counter attack or a penalty suits me fine.

Kag

I think we’ll start Matic in this one and this concerns me. He’s looked awfully slow so far this season and I can think of fewer games less appropriate for him than Southampton away.

I’d be starting the same team that played on Tuesday. Perhaps Greenwood for Martial.

RonaldoVII

I couldn't give a damn if we are absolute horse muck for the whole game as long as we win. Three points is all that matters. Being outplayed for 90 minutes and winning in the 91st with a counter attack or a penalty suits me fine.
    Whilst I agree, if that's what we're hoping for against Southampton after 2 years of Ole then it's not great is it.

RedDevilRoshi

No idea why but I’ve got a good feeling about this one more so than the previous fixture against this lot back in July when we were on a good unbeaten run.

Devil may care

I was thinking the exact same line-up. I hope Ole is thinking the same thing. This team will function really well. Mctominay can usher in the defense and the rest can fly with one-touch passes in the offensive half. Cavani and VDB played a really good game against Istanbul and he should picked to start against Southampton. Martial is wonderful dribbling from the left and Rashford can hold his place wide on the right. This team if put in can beat Southampton with ease. They have a higher press which will be negated by VDB and Bruno along with the forward 3 can pass within each other and create every time we have the ball. I hope Ole doesn't change this setup and bring in Pogba, Greenwood and push Martial back in front of goal and push Rashford to the left, which will really be a disappointment before even the game starts. I'm suspecting it because Cavani played the full 90 and so did VDB. He might also be thinking about the PSG game. If he puts the team aforementioned and we get a good result, the momentum will keep the guys moving forward with confidence.
    Obviously we know McTominay is out but I hope Ole doesn't go with Matic over Van de Beek in the double pivot with Fred as he's not going to cope with Southampton's intense pressing game.

Lee565

This fixture sums up the dumb logic of the premier league, we played at home on tuesday and we get a sunday fixture but when we played in turkey on a wednesday, the premier league give us an early kick off match on ttlhe Saturday.

Chicharo

Word.
    We need to start winning on a regular basis, I dont care how we do it

Whilst I agree, if that's what we're hoping for against Southampton after 2 years of Ole then it's not great is it.
    Why does it matter how we win? Can you name 10 league games in which we were spectacular in 2012-13, the last time we won the title? All that matters is that we win. If we scrape our way to 30 wins we'll probably win the title. Obviously, if you play better football there's a higher chance that you'll win games. However, as long as we win it doesn't matter.

Strelok

Why does it matter how we win? Can you name 10 league games in which we were spectacular in 2012-13, the last time we won the title? All that matters is that we win. If we scrape our way to 30 wins we'll probably win the title. Obviously, if you play better football there's a higher chance that you'll win games. However, as long as we win it doesn't matter.
    Agreed.

Some fans think we're still the pinnacle of English football and ask for a thrashing every time we play against a smaller club. Truth is we couldn't even back then.

I'm super happy as long as we win. Regardless of how.

Statue of Limitations

We have a 100% record in away matches in the PL, if we can get that to 66% or more for the duration, we will have had an amazing season.

3 points, doesn't matter how.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
    Can't see us getting anything from this - winning would make us look almost consistent and we aren't. That said, we do tend to win away at Southampton more than we beat them at home but, truth be told, we aren't good enough

Foxbatt

No matter what happens "Should Ole be sacked or stay" thread is going to be very interesting tomorrow. :lol:

RonaldoVII

I couldn't name you one game from 2012-13 other than the Aston Villa game as it's 7 years ago, what sort of argument is that? Obviously winning by any means necessary is better than playing well and not getting the 3 points but if you keep playing poorly and scraping wins your luck runs out sooner or later.

Strelok

No matter what happens "Should Ole be sacked or stay" thread is going to be very interesting tomorrow. :lol:
    Tbh I couldn't find that thread interesting.

I started to find it pointless long ago and every time I check it's still the same shite. Rinse. Repeat.

I couldn't name you one game from 2012-13 other than the Aston Villa game as it's 7 years ago, what sort of argument is that? Obviously winning by any means necessary is better than playing well and not getting the 3 points but if you keep playing poorly and scraping wins your luck runs out sooner or later.
    How often is it said of champions that they win playing ugly?

Go through our results for the 2012-13 season, re-examine the games, and see our great strength was bloody mindedness and refusal to give up. We were average in most the games. However, we had Van Persie and Carrick in the form of his life. That, plus consistency from a few others, allowed us to get the job done in most games. That's what we need now. To get the job done. Bloody hell, talk of 2012-13, we were a goal down with 10 minutes left at Southampton that season. Then Van Persie pulled a hat trick out of his arse.

Would I like Man Utd to play 38 games of total football? Of course. But it doesn't matter. Scraping wins is a good thing because winning is a habit. One we used to have and one we've lost along the way.

AFC NimbleThumb

Absolute must win, don’t want to hear no crap about how we beat t he at lot from Instanbul midweek if we don’t win this.

Sick to death of the constant one step forward, two steps back - time to upskill the talent we have available.

Wonder if we'll see these tactics again from Southampton? (2nd paragraph onwards)

This was the game where they literally left AWB in like 20 yards of space all game.

Cathy Ferguson

Wonder if we'll see these tactics again from Southampton? (2nd paragraph onwards)

This was the game where they literally left AWB in like 20 yards of space all game.
    Thanks, and this is why Rashford should play right forward, not Mata or Donny. Anyone can see that AWB is uncomfortable in possession.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
    It's a bit weird he plays every game for France, talks about how it's a great to play with his country and start games and then misses 3 for club.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

Pretty damning on Wan Bissaka but it's pretty obvious that teams give him space in attack and press him in our half.

Tapori

Actually think AWB has worked on his play

You'll note extensively these past games, he's come onto the inside and diagonal either passing or dribbling rather then run into dead ends on the wing

I see him developing if he continues. Key is his decision making, type of pass to the midfielders left of him.

Once he times and varies this, the only bow to add will be crossing and the ball down the line over the top

Yes, practically every team in the league does this against us. Which is why we should not play out from the back. What's the point? We have such fast forwards. Just play the ball in behind fast. Eventually players as fast as Rashford, Martial, Greenwood, James etc will beat the offside trap of a team pressing high. Trying to pass out with our defence is an invitation to lose the ball.

Strelok

What he said basically is we have a RB who is shite on the ball. And no proper RW. You don't need to be a bloody manager to see that. Everyone we played so far did exactly the same. The difference was Sou had a good midfield and was good with their pressing. While we played Matic and Pogba against that.

Buy a RW ffs.

DRM

Thanks, and this is why Rashford should play right forward, not Mata or Donny. Anyone can see that AWB is uncomfortable in possession.
    Agree with you on that one! Give the Soton players something to think about!

OrcaFat

I particularly hope we stuff these lot.

Another well organised, supposedly well coached team. Like Sheff U, Burnley and Bournemouth were last year and the year before.

In fact I kind of hope Southampton go on a losing streak. And get relegated.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
    I particularly hope we stuff these lot.

Another well organised, supposedly well coached team. Like Sheff U, Burnley and Bournemouth were last year and the year before.

In fact I kind of hope Southampton go on a losing streak. And get relegated.
    You from Portsmouth?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Edinson Cavani image Edinson Cavani 95% of 418 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 388 ratings.