Southgate or Potter - who would you prefer as our next manager?

Marcelinho87

Potter.

I think his time at Chelsea is defining him and it absolutely shouldn't - I reckon there is a good manager in there.

Shark

@NotShark
We might as well keep our current incredibly failing manager. That's my take.

The-Mezzala

Potter by a mile, But lets hope neither one turns up here. I would rather ETH got another season than them two. If Ineos are sp desperate for a British manager. Why not McKenna.m. Lets pray that if they are going to sack Ten Hag its De Zerbi or Inzaghi. Love to see an Italian manager at United.

satishunited

None of the above ! either of them will be under HUGE pressure to deliver and probably crumble after the first few poor results. Roy Keane for me!

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Well the INEOS mantra has been appointing the best in class, for all footballing positions.
If INEOS genuinely believe that the 2 best managers available anywhere in World football are Southgate & Potter, then this really doesn't bode well for the future.

AndySmith1990

We might as well keep our current incredibly failing manager. That's my take.
Why stick with someone who we already know isn't good enough, as opposed to taking a punt on someone who might do well?

Tiber

I wouldn't be particularity excited by Potter but he would be a far better option than Southgate . Then again who isn't?

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
Frankly, Potter can do one, and Southgate can just F&*! right off.

I am defo still on for keeping ETH ahead of these guys.

Blood Mage

I would genuinely take Gary O'Neil over both. If you forced me to pick between them though then Potter by a distance. Southgate is a championship manager.

Lee565

I would take both over ten hag because it is worth trying something new over something that is clearly not working with eth

saivet

I would say Potter based on his coaching ability. I'd like to think he's learned from his experience at Chelsea but I'm not convinced he was the right personality to make it a top club and lacks experience managing top players. He might get there but it's lacking now and would be a gamble.

Southgate would probably be better at managing individuals and the general cohesiveness within the camp but from a coaching perspective there are questions and the football would likely be underwhelming.

Crimson King

You are just stating your opinions as facts without any arguments.
Yes it's my opinion, that I currently believe. This is an online forum, isn't that what I'm supposed to do?

What arguments am I meant to provide? I don't have a time machine to prove myself right or wrong. If you can provide an argument that proves Potter would have done a better job than EtH this season under the same circumstances then fire away, I'm happy to be convinced. Personally, I think that we'd be in the same position, at best.

To be honest with you, I'm mainly fed up of some of these players thinking they can just outlast who ever the manager is, when really I think they're not good enough and should be shown the door before EtH.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Potter out the 2 but it shouldn’t be any. Our next manager at least as an advantage of working under a proper footballing structure.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
That's the most convoluted and reverse-engineered piece of crap argument you'll find in football discussion, which is saying something. You only make that work by fitting the definition of which teams are "shite" and which teams are not to the conclusion you've already reached. Just pure bollocks.

I've followed international tournaments since 1978, always with a special fondness for England. With the sole exception of Euro 96, the past couple of tournaments is the only period in those almost 50 years where England has felt in any way like a proper, serious title contender. You'd think that'd count for something, but apparently that only convinces people that if this is the case the only possible explanation must be that it's so easy that anyone could have achieved that. It's beyond laughable.
Did you miss Italia 90?

niima

Supports
United
Neither

If Ineos picks one of those men,honestly I m finished with the club.

I m not enjoying watching the football my supported club is playing these years ,they have spent alot on wrong people.All I hope is that the new ownership changes the direction.if they pick these wrong choices I prefer not to follow the club anymore.

Enough is enough...

dutchred

I hope neither. I think whoever takes over (I'd like to keep ETH as he is good eith young players) will have a very good team in a year or two, given the talent coming through.
This could be like the class of 92. They were lucky in that they has very good experienced players around them
We need an experienced (quick and agile) Centre half. An experienced defensive midfielder and a Goal scoring Center forward. Holjund needs time.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Ten Hag over either. Potter over Southgate, who shouldn't even be mentioned as a joke.

Is there a hidden option nr. 3?

C'est Moi Cantona

This is the big worry about who we'll actually end up with if Ten Hag is sacked as so many seem to want to happen.

Potter and Southgate have disaster written all over them for us.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I'd take Potter from those two choices. He's at least somewhat PL proven and got Brighton playing semi decent football. The concern with him mind is that both Brighton and Chelsea struggled to score with his football.

I think I'd hibernate for a few years if we took on Southgate. Horrific.

cj_sparky

If I had to chose one it would be Potter, don't particularly want him though and think we should be able to find better.

As for Southgate, cannot stand him.

Infestissumam

what a nightmarish either/or scenario. If I absolutely had to pick one of the two, it's Potter easily, but that's primarily down to what I think of Southgate.

Neither one of them should get anywhere close this job and it'd be disheartening if our new structure really had them on the shortlist for the job.