Southgate replacing ETH? Yes or No?

Well...

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Jeffthered

I would have to think about what it means to be a Manchester United fan if we appointed Gareth Southgate. On so, so, so many levels, this would be just wrong.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
The only positive with Southgate is his experience of scrutiny as England Manager would massively help him, and he has the personality to manage the big egos within our squad who down tools at every opportunity and aren't as good as they think they are.

From a football tactical point of view, I wouldn't have much confidence he would all of a sudden change his ways so unless there was some unbelievable no2 appointed with him, I wouldn't be too excited by it.

If you had asked me the same question a few months back I would have been 100% against it, but with the current state of the club, I'm pretty confident the next manager will fail anyway. Southgate would probably steady the ship, but I wouldn't expect us to be challenging the elite anytime soon.
What scrutiny has he really had? He picks his favourites so he doesn't have to deal with egos and he's won nothing in 8+ years but his job is not under the slightest bit of scrutiny - there's literally never been a murmur of him being replaced in all his tenure.

hobbers

There’s not a lot of reputable noise around this and it’s just a dumb scare tactic to fool fans into keeping ETH around

delete thread

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Please God, take me away and let me never witness this atrocious spectacle.

Telsim

There’s not a lot of reputable noise around this and it’s just a dumb scare tactic to fool fans into keeping ETH around

delete thread
The way it's going, Ten Hag himself might just mindbreak me into being okay with it. :lol: I will have to take days off work to deal with it, though.

Skills

Snitch
The sadist in me wants it, just to once and for-all confirm my beliefs about this fanbase.

That you could literally stick a golden retriever in the managers seat and there would be a back-the-manager campaign to support him.

Revan

Assumptionman
The sadist in me wants it, just to once and for-all confirm my beliefs about this fanbase.

That you could literally stick a golden retriever in the managers seat and there would be a back-the-manager campaign to support him.
Oh, it is guaranteed that would happen. Heck, even making Gerrard manager and that would happen.

youngrell

I would be really disappointed and have zero optimism. It also seems such a stupid target for us, if we are getting shot of EtH then we should be looking to get someone in as early as possible, not after the Euros (+ likely short break post-Euros).

kaku06

Vulgarian
I’m intrigued to see who says “Yes, please” in the vote other than the oppo fans.

PINGUtd

Absolute No. Also, I will not change my mind if England win the Euros. Actually, I would be over the moon if he signed for one of our rivals; LFC or City.

spiriticon

No. I think I would rather have Potter or Ten Hag then Southgate.

I really would like none of the three though.

Mercurial

He wasted the England Golden generation already during his tenure so far. Guy dresses sharp but he seem pretty dull and tactically naivë.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I think it would genuinely make INEOS less popular than the Glazers which takes some doing.

gajender

Oh, it is guaranteed that would happen. Heck, even making Gerrard manager and that would happen.
I don't think it would I actually believe appointment Like Southgate might finally end United's fan base unhealthy obsession with its managers /coach .

So we are back to CAf's favourite mystery can Loss be a win .

Roane

Wouldn't make much sense. Gareth can't be talking about these things with the euros coming up.

Hell be tied up until mid July and we need a good summer for transfers etc.

If nothing else the timing would suggest this isn't real/true

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

I would be really disappointed and have zero optimism. It also seems such a stupid target for us, if we are getting shot of EtH then we should be looking to get someone in as early as possible, not after the Euros (+ likely short break post-Euros).
Wouldn't make much sense. Gareth can't be talking about these things with the euros coming up.

Hell be tied up until mid July and we need a good summer for transfers etc.

If nothing else the timing would suggest this isn't real/true
This is why I don't think we need to worry about Southgate getting appointed. Preseason starts shortly after the Euros finishes, and INEOS will want to be proactive when the transfer window opens in June instead of wasting 6 weeks waiting around for Southgate to give his green light on player recruitment.

Red Royal

As bad as we are, we are still Man United a huge club with huge ambitions and expectations. Getting Southgate in to me would be a sign that we have accepted mediocrity. If the board is willing to get Southgate then wr may as well just take a punt on an ex-red (I know we tried it with Ole).

RonaldoVII

No chance.

Even if he had the credentials to be Manchester United manager, he'd be joining far too late in the summer after the Euros.

hobbers

Ashworth isnt even in the club yet and is marooned on gardening leave for possibly many months or even a year, and all the idiot hacks who try to link Southgate do it saying he's one of Ratcliffe's preferred choices anyway.

He's desperately putting himself in the shop window because he knows England aint winning shit in the summer and he'll have to convince a club to let him relegate them.

Same desperation Ten Hag has when his agent tells everyone he's spoken to Bayern

cj_sparky

Good god Noooooooo!

He sets England up negatively, suffers from poor in game management and relies on the same players regardless of form/performances.

A few managers in the Premiership I'd prefer the club approach first, even a few in the Championship who I'd rather see the club talk to than appoint the Waistcoated One!

Kablamo

Supports
Chelsea
Voted yes.

Look at it as an opportunity to finally get your hands on the Auto Windscreens Shield.

NewbieRed

Hell no.

The job of an international manager is totally different. They basically just pick a sensible XI and keep the egos happy in the dressing room. Club managers have to develop players, devise gameplans, buy and sell, speak to the media every day. These days it's quite unlikely that one person could do both roles well, in my opinion. Some club managers suit international football when they're too old for the club game, but that's about it.

Hughes35

I ticked yes as a last resort but in reality there are about 20 managers I'd have ahead of him so that last resort really is scraping the barell.

In order of what should happen:

1. One of 20 other managers.
2. Gareth
3. Liquid the club
4. keep ETH