Speed Limit Reduction in Wales from next week

Big Andy

Bloke
Every 30mph road in Wales will be reduced to 20mph from next week, with the odd exception. I can't see how this will do anything but cause more traffic. The same number of cars but driving slower, frustrated people taking longer to get somewhere.

I can see them bringing this in all throughout the UK soon as well.

If they want to stop speeding, then put speed cameras up but keep the 30mph limit. Around Schools, hospitals, etc I can understand it, but otherwise 30mph is fine. Without enforcement, everyone will be pottering along at 30mph+ anyway.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Just another example of the government trying to control us.

Take away our speed limits so when we're put in the death camps we won't be able to drive away

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Sounds good. Lots of 30k speed limit roads around here and the traffic flows fine and it's nicer as a pedestrian or cyclist.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Your risk of dying when hit at 20mph vs 30mph is like 90% less or something to that effect.

I'm fine with it, I think people drive fast by default without any valid reasoning - or they're running late to go somewhere, either way it doesn't mean that they should put everyone else at risk.

Big Andy

Bloke
Your risk of dying when hit at 20mph vs 30mph is like 90% less or something to that effect.

I'm fine with it, I think people drive fast by default without any valid reasoning - or they're running late to go somewhere, either way it doesn't mean that they should put everyone else at risk.
As I said though, unless its enforced with cameras and speed traps, etc, people will still do 30mph anyway.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Happy with this, especially with a little one on the way. People who are in a rush are just poor planners, grow up and start leaving with plenty of time and you'll be fine.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Every 30mph road in Wales will be reduced to 20mph from next week, with the odd exception. I can't see how this will do anything but cause more traffic. The same number of cars but driving slower, frustrated people taking longer to get somewhere.

I can see them bringing this in all throughout the UK soon as well.

If they want to stop speeding, then put speed cameras up but keep the 30mph limit. Around Schools, hospitals, etc I can understand it, but otherwise 30mph is fine. Without enforcement, everyone will be pottering along at 30mph+ anyway.
Does this apply to cyclists? Its not too difficult to bike faster than 20mph.

youngrell

Don't see much of an issue, so much traffic these days that you struggle to get to 30mph in most streets anyway, not to mention traffic lights everywhere.

Parma Dewol

It's a start. Now here's hoping they do something about the 60mph limit on rural roads. Some of the maniacs who try overtaking on the roads around here make it very unpleasant. Accidents are now so common they rarely make the front page. Oh, just another collision on the A49.

As Brooks once said, “The world went and got itself in a big damn hurry.”

I wouldn't object to lowering our speed limits to 20mph in built-up areas, 50mph on single carriageways and 60mph on dual carriageways, but I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think a lot of people don't realise how little difference the speed you drive makes to journey times, in urban driving. Stick a route up on google maps. Look at the arrival time it predicts. That's based on sticking to speed limits. Now try and beat that arrival time. You'd have to drive like an absolute mad man (and be lucky with lights) to shave even 2 or 3 minutes off the original prediction. I don't think setting off on your trip 2 or 3 minutes earlier to comply with slower speed limits is a big ask.

rednotled

Does this apply to cyclists? Its not too difficult to bike faster than 20mph.
Apparently not but can be overridden/enforced by local bye-laws. This just popped up on my youtube feed after reading this thread (what a coincidence).

Woodzy

It's going to be a disaster.

I'm lucky that I don't need to drive too much, but I just know in my area it's going to be an absolute nightmare.

The worst part is, the people who refused to limit themselves to 30 are going to do exactly the same with 20 (and probably even more so). The most dangerous drivers are still going to be ever present and that's the biggest problem.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I think a lot of people don't realise how little difference the speed you drive makes to journey times, in urban driving. Stick a route up on google maps. Look at the arrival time it predicts. That's based on sticking to speed limits. Now try and beat that arrival time. You'd have to drive like an absolute mad man (and be lucky with lights) to shave even 2 or 3 minutes off the original prediction. I don't think setting off on your trip 2 or 3 minutes earlier to comply with slower speed limits is a big ask.

Agree with both of these, but still, driving at 20mph feels worse than driving at 30mph. It might be stupid but it can make the experience more frustrating. I reckon there must be some way to remove some of that frustration, and make it feel like less of a chore or arbitrary rule. It's obviously not arbitrary given the disproportionate effect on fatalities, so I think if there's a way to make people feel and understand that difference more deeply, it would reframe it as more of a positive social contribution. But I think there's probably also something in how we design urban areas and little visual cues in traffic signs that could change in subtle ways to make the process less jarring.

Or maybe it's just about conditioning ourselves to it. Not sure, but I think it's helpful to recognise the legitimacy of the frustration at the change for the driver, and to at least look for ways to alleviate that.

Traub

I mean 2-3 minutes on a 20 min journey is a relative 10%-15% improvement. In absolute terms the 2-3mins isn't a big deal of course. Unless you're like me who leaves 5 minutes late and then acts as if it's every other drivers fault.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
There are a number of reasons why it's a bad idea.

You will be constantly looking at your speedometer for one thing - I've tried doing 20 recently and it's impossible to get a feel for it so you won't be watching the road half as much as normal.

Also they tried saying it was to help the environment initially - it does the exact opposite.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
20 mph is 32 km/h which is the speed limit in most town centers in Europe - it's perfectly easy to drive at this speed. A to B, no more. Leave on time.

Its kind of redundant as more and more cars have automatic collision avoidance systems fitted but the Welsh have always been arseholes about speed limits.

Lower the limit in towns but raise it on motorways and major roads. Its fecking stupid having 50mph on a deserted dual carriageway and cars have come on a long, long way since the 70mph limit. The standard of driving on UK motorways has plummeted since they became infested with speed cameras. 3 rows of cars all nose to tail and drivers half asleep at 69mph.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Its kind of redundant as more and more cars have automatic collision avoidance systems fitted but the Welsh have always been arseholes about speed limits.

Lower the limit in towns but raise it on motorways and major roads. Its fecking stupid having 50mph on a deserted dual carriageway and cars have come on a long, long way since the 70mph limit. The standard of driving on UK motorways has plummeted since they became infested with speed cameras. 3 rows of cars all nose to tail and drivers half asleep at 69mph.
Uk motorways are a shambles. I can’t think of any other motorways I’ve ever driven on where you constantly have to jam on the brakes and slow to a crawl for no obvious reason. Although I doubt this is down to the speed limit being too low?

Uk motorways are a shambles. I can’t think of any other motorways I’ve ever driven on where you constantly have to jam on the brakes and slow to a crawl for no obvious reason. Although I doubt this is down to the speed limit being too low?
It's the speed cameras and the low limits combined. It contributes to a sense of this is the limit and i will do this speed rain or shine. There is no feel for the car or the road conditions anymore. The contrast with European motorways is vast.

mitChley

I agree with a lot of the comments on here, especially that actually it doesn't make a huge difference when it comes to urban driving, but this in particular is something I experienced last week:

Agree with both of these, but still, driving at 20mph feels worse than driving at 30mph.
I was driving a company pool car with trackers last week. It let's the company know when you are speeding. Trying to do 30mph on two line wide roads, or 50mph on a certain a Sheffield dual carriage way was absolutely horrible, and exhausting. I spent the whole time looking at the speedo, or I'd try and relax and go 'oh crap I'm doing 34!' then dab the brakes. All the car wanted to do was accelerate away, I don't mind the lower speed limits, I just wish the roads were designed better so that it wasn't such a draining experience.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Stupid decision. Will create dangerous overtaking as people get frustrated behind idiots that will be doing 15mph.
The idiots are the people overtaking. Just like they’re idiots right now for getting frustrated behind people driving 25mph. At least they’ll be being idiots slightly slower if the speed limit comes down.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Stupid decision. Will create dangerous overtaking as people get frustrated behind idiots that will be doing 15mph.
Aren't those people already driving below the speed limit, and aren't frustrated people already overtaking them? Slower speeds makes overtaking safer, so unless it creates new overtakes it actually doesn't sound more dangerous.

Edit: Pogue stole my post from 3 minutes in the past.

fergieisold

Aren't those people already driving below the speed limit, and aren't frustrated people already overtaking them? Slower speeds makes overtaking safer, so unless it creates new overtakes it actually doesn't sound more dangerous.
I think the frustration comes with very low speeds. There was a 20 limit put in place around my area where sections of the road were perfectly fine at 30mph. I've seen a lot more dangerous overtaking now than I did before. Anecdotal but maybe there's something in it!

Eplel

Car drivers are so privileged that they see any kind of measure as oppression.

The main reasoning behind this is that a collision with a pedestrian at 30mph is 5 times deadlier than it would be at 20mph.

No, the officials don't want to control you via speed limits, they are trying to save lives.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I think the frustration comes with very low speeds. There was a 20 limit put in place around my area where sections of the road were perfectly fine at 30mph. I've seen a lot more dangerous overtaking now than I did before. Anecdotal but maybe there's something in it!
I tend to think the people overtaking would be frustrated at people driving slower than the speed limit no matter the speed limit. Probably those people would also be frustrated at people driving the speed limit instead of 10 over it.

acnumber9

Happy with this, especially with a little one on the way. People who are in a rush are just poor planners, grow up and start leaving with plenty of time and you'll be fine.
Good luck with that planning when you’ve to get a baby ready to go somewhere.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Sounds good. Lots of 30k speed limit roads around here and the traffic flows fine and it's nicer as a pedestrian or cyclist.
I didn't know welsh used rockets between farms.:eek: