Speed Limit Reduction in Wales from next week

No because I basically never have to override it. I set it to 60 and let the person in front of me deal with speed restrictions etc. I get no joy out of accelerating from 5-10 back to 30 and slow back down to 15 before going back to 25(speeds may vary but you get the point)... and then when I'm on more restricted roads (i.e no pedestrians/cyclists) I just rest my foot in front of the brake. If the roads are empty and I can go faster than the speed limit I probably won't use it but those occasions have grown rare.
If you're setting it to 60 I think we're talking about a different kind of road :)

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
In well planned cities traffic lights should allow for continuous progress. In London its one thing but in your average Welsh town or village there really aren't that many to navigate anyway. Besides, if you're doing it all on cruise control, you're not stopping for the traffic lights anyway :smirk:
You are though. I dunno what version of cruise control you’re used to but the modern ones slow down and stop with the traffic. And if there isn’t another car in front you at the traffic lights it’s possible to use this device called a brake pedal to slow the car down.

I’m not familiar with traffic in Welsh towns and villages but over half the world’s population lives in actual cities. So the majority of people who drive have to start and stop fairly frequently every time they drive. Not just Londoners. That Imperial study will be relevant all over the world.

You are though. I dunno what version of cruise control you’re used to but the modern ones slow down and stop with the traffic. And if there isn’t another car in front you at the traffic lights it’s possible to use this device called a brake pedal to slow the car down.

I’m not familiar with traffic in Welsh towns and villages but over half the world’s population lives in actual cities. So the majority of people who drive have to start and stop fairly frequently every time they drive. Not just Londoners. That Imperial study will be relevant all over the world.
If only this topic was about the speed limits in all those cities.

I know you wont believe me so have a read up on cruise control in cities. You might just decide to stop using it.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Yes, also air cooled.

Bought it about 18 years ago, was a bit stressed at the time thinking what the feck have I done? Though luckily it‘s turned out to be a great buy.
I know it's air cooled ffs :drool:

Phenomenal stuff, cracking car. What colour?

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Excuse me, this thread is for people who hate cars, not appreciate them

Huh? That graph starts at 45mph, so how can you make the point that they are the highest at 50mph? There is no data point before then.
Read the description. They just cut the graph off before then because its not relevant. Cars are inefficient before that speed.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

Not sure but think 89/90 was last of the air cooled?

Guards red ….black leather interior

What colour is yours?
I knew it would be guards! Great colour! Last of the air cooled was the 993 so I think 97.

Mine too is guards :lol:

Wilt

I knew it would be guards! Great colour! Last of the air cooled was the 993 so I think 97.

Mine too is guards :lol:
Didn’t realise air cooled were around till 97.

I like most Porsche colours apart from white ….there‘s a lime green RS around my way which looks amazing.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

Didn’t realise air cooled were around till 97.

I like most Porsche colours apart from white ….there‘s a lime green RS around my way which looks amazing.
Just awesome!

Yeah, hence the (unwarranted imo derision) of the 996.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Read the description. They just cut the graph off before then because its not relevant. Cars are inefficient before that speed.
Maybe? It's not entirely clear. The full data set is not available to us. And I'd argue that it's definitely relevant to show that cars are inefficient before that speed if the entire goal of the graph is to show how the fuel efficiency of different cars changes as speed changes.

I found the full data set, and it doesn't have any further data points. There is a second data set with data from studies in 1973, 1984, 1997 and 2012 but the three first are quite old (and involved few vehicles) and the 2012 one only has data points for 40, 50, 60, etc. It's weird that they haven't standardized the data collection (or presentation).

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
What's not relevant is continually bringing up the efficiency of cars at 50mph when the topic of the thread is about 30mph limits and whether they should be reduced to 20mph or not.

Unless of course you're dumb enough to be proposing an increase of the limit to 50mph?

What's not relevant is continually bringing up the efficiency of cars at 50mph when the topic of the thread is about 30mph limits and whether they should be reduced to 20mph or not.

Unless of course you're dumb enough to be proposing an increase of the limit to 50mph?
It was a response to a poster saying a 20mph limit would be more fuel efficient.

Wilt

I was just joking, I’ve always had 90’s Japanese sports cars but would like an older Porsche one day, maybe 90’s more than 80’s though.
Get one ….porkers are great cars

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
It was a response to a poster saying a 20mph limit would be more fuel efficient.
Yes, 20mph is arguably more fuel-efficient than 30mph in the typical stop-start conditions found in 30mph limit areas. There may be arguments to say otherwise but bringing in stats about 50mph is not one of them.

Yes, 20mph is arguably more fuel-efficient than 30mph in the typical stop-start conditions found in 30mph limit areas. There may be arguments to say otherwise but bringing in stats about 50mph is not one of them.
Except its not. All research including from the manufacturers has always pointed to it being less efficient.

Even this single study which is being accepted as gospel says fuel efficiency is unaffected by the reduction. It is brake and tyre wear which is reduced.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Checked the revs on my work van this morning.
20mph 2500rpm in 2nd, 1100rpm and juddery in 3rd
30mph 1900rpm in 3rd happily moving along.

I don’t know what world 2500 rpm is better fuel economy. Newer cars or different engined vehicles may be ok but there’s an awful lot of vehicles that will be having worse fuel economy and putting out more fumes.

20mph is totally understandable in built up areas/schools etc and genuinely safer you don’t mind taking the hit on fuel economy for but the blanket change wales has done is lazy and not thought through

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
Checked the revs on my work van this morning.
20mph 2500rpm in 2nd, 1100rpm and juddery in 3rd
30mph 1900rpm in 3rd happily moving along.

I don’t know what world 2500 rpm is better fuel economy. Newer cars or different engined vehicles may be ok but there’s an awful lot of vehicles that will be having worse fuel economy and putting out more fumes.

20mph is totally understandable in built up areas/schools etc and genuinely safer you don’t mind taking the hit on fuel economy for but the blanket change wales has done is lazy and not thought through
1 saved sheep, and it's all worth it

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
This is SO slow. In SA we can drive 60km/h in the city and 120 km/h on the highway. And our traffic officials are crap, so we could do 10 km/h more if we wanted to.

And km are better than miles ya bastards

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
This is SO slow. In SA we can drive 60km/h in the city and 120 km/h on the highway. And our traffic officials are crap, so we could do 10 km/h more if we wanted to.

And km are better than miles ya bastards
South Africa yearly road deaths per 100,000 inhabitants: 25
South Africa yearly road deaths per 100,000 cars: 134

UK yearly road deaths per 100,000 inhabitants: 2.9
UK yearly road deaths per 100,000 cars: 5.7

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
South Africa yearly road deaths per 100,000 inhabitants: 25
South Africa yearly road deaths per 100,000 cars: 134

UK yearly road deaths per 100,000 inhabitants: 2.9
UK yearly road deaths per 100,000 cars: 5.7
C'mon. We're a third world country. Our roads are shite and our vehicles are not roadworthy. Still, the VAST majority of people are never in an accident and we get to work quicker

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I've tried going 20mph in some areas to see how slow it is. I'm going to hate this. Suddenly my 30-35 minute commute to work consisting of 30mph roads and national speed limits over the last few years have now turned to 20mph and 50mph average speed limit roads.