Spilt Milk - when the transfer hype didn't work out.

UnitedFire

Golden Blunder closing down the Kamara thread has inspired me!

Every season there are a selection of players we are linked to who seem sensible or smart option and don't happen.

These can be expensive like Koulibaly instead of Maguire or free like Kamara.

The point is for one reason or another they make sense.

The point here is not to have a hissy fit or any other moany responses given on the Kamara response. It's simply trying to understand why our scouts/ buyers take different decisions to the hype that fans are attracted to. Our current squad gives very little confidence that their decisions are any better than we would have made! And indeed they are now gone.

Do I care if Kamara comes, no not really. Am I am expert, no, but is there enough noise and interest around him and a sensible solution to one of our problems being free as a transfer and yes despite the wise cracks I know that isnt completely free, but we won't be talking about a Haaland deal where the transfer fee roles into the package. It will have been cheaper to get him free for sure.

So given we are in the summer and now is the time to talk transfers why not have a place to capture the ones that didn't happen. We can then go back next summer and see if the spilt milk was right or not.

One from a previous year was Ndombele. On hindsight now we've not really missed out much there!

But instead of Lindelof we could have got Van Dijk. Instead of Matic (I think this was the timing) we could have got fabinho. The former I don't think was well known or well hyped. The latter wasn't overly shouted about. Both have obviously been hugely successful.

So anyway this is the place to capture those players where there was a degree of hype, but didn't get signed and thus we can question why without a load of moaning noise. If that's all you can do I don't think a forum during the transfer window is for you.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Fabinho, Mane, Dias, Cancelo are among the obvious names.

Reapersoul20

Can Anderson score? No.
Nigel Reo-Coker was going to transform our midfield and bring back the glory days but everyone was too myopic to see it.

UnitedFire

Fabinho, Mane, Dias, Cancelo are among the obvious names.
I don't remember a huge disappointment in not signing those so was there that much hype or just some light links?

Fabinho for sure was one we definitely missed out on.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I don't remember a huge disappointment in not signing those so was there that much hype or just some light links?

Fabinho for sure was one we definitely missed out on.
I was hyped at them :lol:

Varun1

Aurier, Lo Celso, Meunier. The Turkish CB at Leicester and Soumaré, although he's only in his first season and I think he had a few injuries.

Lastwolf

There is always some transfer, usually at least one a year that the caf loses its mind that we didn't sign that ultimately didn't amount to much or was a flop.

People were very upset we didn't get Pedro and Fabregas that one summer and they ultimately didn't amount to much more than "meh".

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Fabinho is the big one, don't think I've ever seen RedCafe to unanimously agree we need a player like we did with Fabinho. He was gagging to sign for us too, instead Mourinho opted for a declining Matic for £40m. A year later Fabinho joins Liverpool for a modest fee and becomes the best DM on the planet.

TOPREDIAMNOT

Robben was it 2005? All lined up...then Chelsea stepped in and stole him. Ended up a world class player for the next 9+ years. What a player he could have been for us under Fergie

Alan shearer 1992....but then we would not have got King Eric.

Gascoigne in 1989....Apparantly Fergie talked to him and it was agreed he would join Utd. Would things have turned out differently?

I'll remember a few more later on...

UnitedFire

Fabinho is the big one, don't think I've ever seen RedCafe to unanimously agree we need a player like we did with Fabinho. He was gagging to sign for us too, instead Mourinho opted for a declining Matic for £40m. A year later Fabinho joins Liverpool for a modest fee and becomes the best DM on the planet.
The one player that definitely can't be beaten is Sneijder. That was hype of epic proportions.

He is one that looking back at it now and having hit 37 he hasn't really amounted to much.

Strange the fine margins between utter failure and massive success.

Pogba has encapsulated it all in his career. Amazing success in Italy, has won the World Cup, but he may as well have been playing in China for how shit he has been for us.

UnitedFire

There is always some transfer, usually at least one a year that the caf loses its mind that we didn't sign that ultimately didn't amount to much or was a flop.

People were very upset we didn't get Pedro and Fabregas that one summer and they ultimately didn't amount to much more than "meh".
Thiago was the other one that comes to mind around that time. Talented no doubt, but not a world beater!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Tarkowski is out of contract, and we are looking for a defender. In fact, like Kamara, he is very likely to end up at Aston Villa. Therefore = ‘we missed out on James Tarkowski’, given we need 19 or 20 players and don’t have an unlimited budget, he is a no-brainer and should have been signed.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
The one player that definitely can't be beaten is Sneijder. That was hype of epic proportions.

He is one that looking back at it now and having hit 37 he hasn't really amounted to much.

Strange the fine margins between utter failure and massive success.

Pogba has encapsulated it all in his career. Amazing success in Italy, has won the World Cup, but he may as well have been playing in China for how shit he has been for us.
See the sniejder was always a none starter for me, his wages at Inter were utterly insane (as a lot of players were then during Mourinho’s spell). It was nothing like. 170 k after tax which I’m the uk tax system would have been 300k plus …. Ten years ago those wages would have just shattered our pay structure giving us a even worse situation then we had with Sanchez.

JB7

Well we've had deals lined up for Thiago, Kroos and Fabinho that managers have walked away from over the past few years so let's start with them.

RVN1991

Thiago Alcantara for me. Ronaldinho was my first transfer heartbreak but at least we ended up signing Ronaldo. I really thought Thiago would come in and take Scholesys mantle. Instead we got Fellaini, just a glimpse of how the next decade would unfold.

Smores

And if you go back to threads of the good ones we missed out on you'll see the same accusations of hysterical fans. Same narrative of the club obviously knowing better etc.

Basically some fans are always hysterical and some fans like to pretend they know better than other fans.

The only reasonable position in my book is to shrug your shoulders and assume on balance the club have got it wrong once again.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
Robben in 2005 then again Robben and Sneijder as part of the Ronaldo deal in 2009. Oh well we got Owen and Obertan so it wasnt that bad i assume:)

Abraxas

Why our scouts may take a different opinion (many of which can apply to any player)

Firstly, we didn't have a manager and Villa may have been far along in persuading the player.

Maybe we did have a shortlist approved by the manager but Kamara was way down it, which combined with our shambolic situation allowed Villa to steal a march.

Maybe the scouts do know about Kamara and have actually watched him over dozens of matches rather than watching a YT highlights and checking out his stats on sofascore and coming to definitive conclusions on his merit.

Maybe they are less persuaded by the fact he's "free" and are more interested in genuine quality to play for Man Utd regardless of cost.

Who really knows, if we followed the whims of transfer Muppets can you imagine the trouble we would be in? Every overhyped upcomer would be signed, only a fraction of which would ever justify the superficial opinion they have come to.