Music Spotify/Apple music etc

Pablo76

I don’t really listen to much music but I have been a lot more so lately, I’ve been recommended a few podcasts too which are of interest and decided to look into getting this.

£14.99 per month for 2 people is this for real??

I think that’s extortionate, am I out of touch?

What are people recommending as an alternative, Apple Music for example?

Edit; just noticed this is in the mod forum, can it be moved to entertainment perhaps?

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
£14.99 is for up to 6 accounts, which is incredibly cheap if everyone uses it.

I get student discount for working at a uni, so I get an individual account for £4.99, but even at the full price of £9.99 it's a great deal for the sheer volume of music and podcasts available. But if you're not an avid listener of music, I get why it might seem steep. Prior to streaming, I used to spend about £50 - £60 a month on CDs/records, so it's a major saving. The only downside is that the artists don't benefit as much as buying records.

I haven't tried any of the alternatives, but I wouldn't have thought the catalogues would be much different. Maybe it will vary more with podcasts if they're exclusive to a particular platform. They're all pretty much the same price-point and all have free trials.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If you think paying £14.99 for multiple people to have access to a massive volume of music and podcasts is extortionate then god only knows what you would've thought 15 or so years ago when you'd have to pay that much for a single album.

It's not like artists are getting rich from spotify as is.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
It was one of my best subscriptions until recently when my phone service provider started offering the same music library with 20gb of data with my service for 19 Euros a month. As much as I loved it, I had to cancel it.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
just use the free version - you dont get the full functionality and get a few ads but I use it all the time

Nickosaur

Meh, i pay for premium and think it's great for offline playlists and ad-free music. Literally use it everyday. It's a bargain for me.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
I don’t really listen to much music but I have been a lot more so lately, I’ve been recommended a few podcasts too which are of interest and decided to look into getting this.

Edit; just noticed this is in the mod forum, can it be moved to entertainment perhaps?
Nice to see that you value the art of music so much that you think £15 for 6 people a month is overpriced.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Yes. You are getting unlimited music and podcasts for £15. A physical copy of an album is about £10. It's great value.

Plus like Rood says you can just use the free version. There are ads but it's still unlimited music.

Pablo76

Nice to see that you value the art of music so much that you think £15 for 6 people a month is overpriced.
As you can probably tell from the first line of my post, no, I don’t really.

Also it would only be myself and 1 other using it so that is to be taken into account, although I guess others could make use of it if I offered.

Thanks for the input everyone, it’s a new thing for me and I was only really basing the cost on what I would personally be using it for, I can go weeks without listening to music so yes, £15 is steep to me. Still might do it though, as all in all it’s something that I might put to more use in the future, especially with the podcasts etc.

Pablo76

Yes. You are getting unlimited music and podcasts for £15. A physical copy of an album is about £10. It's great value.

Plus like Rood says you can just use the free version. There are ads but it's still unlimited music.
Ah, so even with basic access on the app I can listen to all of the music and podcasts for free? Where’s the incentive to pay for premium exactly then?

My friend had access to the family pack but has since lost that privilege and now can’t listen to the songs in full anymore, not interrupted by ads they literally don’t finish playing?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Ah, so even with basic access on the app I can listen to all of the music and podcasts for free? Where’s the incentive to pay for premium exactly then?

My friend had access to the family pack but has since lost that privilege and now can’t listen to the songs in full anymore, not interrupted by ads they literally don’t finish playing?
Because paying for premium means you have no ads and it also means you can save playlists on your phone. If you don't have premium on your phone then you always need to be online to play music, you can't listen to it offline and you'll still get ads.

Morpheus 7

Discover weekly is excellent with Spotify, it's a rabbit hole for music if used right. It's brilliant if you spend a little time liking your favourites as a springboard. It really depends how much you use music on the go. I was cynical for ages but becoming premium was so handy instead of using devices for music.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
I have it as it is free with my phone contract. My wife gets the most out of it though!

If it wasn't free - I wouldn't be paying for it. It's handy but I'm not a huge music or podcast person.

Pablo76

Because paying for premium means you have no ads and it also means you can save playlists on your phone. If you don't have premium on your phone then you always need to be online to play music, you can't listen to it offline and you'll still get ads.
Thanks a lot. I was ignorant to this. Probably will get premium then

Based Adnan

I pay £10 a month for Apple Music. Been with Apple Music for so long that if I change to Spotify for example getting my extensive library back together would be a massive pain. It's well worth it for me though. Usually have a 3-4 hour commute 2 times a week when I'm in the office and the saving grace of that is listening to music in the car.

Pablo76

I pay £10 a month for Apple Music. Been with Apple Music for so long that if I change to Spotify for example getting my extensive library back together would be a massive pain. It's well worth it for me though. Usually have a 3-4 hour commute 2 times a week when I'm in the office and the saving grace of that is listening to music in the car.
See I have an iPhone but the person I would be sharing it with has a Samsung.

I think I’d just get Apple Music if it was just for me.

Pablo76

I’ve changed the thread title to be a bit more inclusive going forward.

Thanks for all the replies from someone who isn’t clued up on this, it’s been a great help!

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
When people used to buy CD's it was about £10 for an album, so £15 is an album and a half for which you get access to almost unlimited music.

Based Adnan

See I have an iPhone but the person I would be sharing it with has a Samsung.

I think I’d just get Apple Music if it was just for me.
I had exclusively iPhones until around a year ago where I switched to a Samsung. Apple Music works fine on my Galaxy S9 and also on my android tablet.

edit: Just had a look and £10 a month is for single use. Family use is £15 a month which is the exact same as Spotify. Can't go wrong with either.

Hoof the ball

I'm on Spotify premium, so, I don't get the ads anymore, but for anyone who does still use Spotify free, does it still play this annoying ad every 2 minutes?!

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
I'd happily pay £9.99 for a single sub, but the multiple user account for £15 is an absolute steal.

I get it free through my Vodafone contract which is even better.

I can't deny missing the Limewire stage of life, but I'm happy to pay for a top quality and reliable service.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I can't fault Apple Music personally. Never considered switching to Spotify. I did try Amazon for a little while because I got 6 months for £1 and it was fine.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I pay $9.99 a month (Canadian) for Spotify and it's the best value for music I've ever seen.

I can remember paying as much as $26 for a CD in the past.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I use free but modded versions on my computer and phone so I don't get ads or anything, but I use it so much I should just pay for it. It'd definitely get my money's worth.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I can't fault the service I've got from Spotify so far :lol:
Bought a code off ebay last march for £4-5 and it's not given up yet

Pablo76

I decided to sign up for the £14.99 per month family package and got the first 3 months free!

In order to share it with 5 others they have to be “in my household”. I was given a link and it would seem they need to be at my address in order to be added as a user, how exactly is this proved and is there any way around this? Thanks!

I decided to sign up for the £14.99 per month family package and got the first 3 months free!

In order to share it with 5 others they have to be “in my household”. I was given a link and it would seem they need to be at my address in order to be added as a user, how exactly is this proved and is there any way around this? Thanks!
I don't think they care as long as the money comes in. I'm 6,000 miles away from where I set my account up and have been for over 2 years. Never heard a thing from them or Netflix about it.

It's best when combined with something like Amazon Alexa/a decent speaker. I have it playing in the background for hours.

FrantikChicken

I use Google play music for £9.99 per month, but I've been thinking of switching to YouTube premium for £11.99 which gives you no ads YouTube, playing YouTube with your screen off, and also includes Google play music as well

Pablo76

I don't think they care as long as the money comes in. I'm 6,000 miles away from where I set my account up and have been for over 2 years. Never heard a thing from them or Netflix about it.

It's best when combined with something like Amazon Alexa/a decent speaker. I have it playing in the background for hours.
I think you misunderstood me, perhaps I wasn’t clear.

When I signed up, I was given a link to share with upto 5 others and it said something along the lines of “others in your family can now use your account by sharing this link when they’re in your household”.

I had to give my address, so can my friend in Scotland share my account for example?

When I signed up, I was given a link to share with upto 5 others and it said something along the lines of “others in your family can now use your account by sharing this link when they’re in your household”.

I had to give my address, so can my friend in Scotland share my account for example?
No I understood you, what I'm saying is I dont think they care where you log in from.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Used apple music for a while but I found the interface crap, moved to amazon as they roped me in for the 1pound for 3 months then I signed up for the HD sub for a few extra pounds, it's excellent.

FrantikChicken

I've been using my mom's Netflix for 2 years and she's in Canada, I'm in London

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
It's worth looking around for free trials. I got 5 months of the Tidal family plan for free around Christmas. It's been great but I'll be looking around for decent deals soon, with the market for HD streaming services having opened up over the past 12 months. Amazon HD is good but I'm reluctant to give the snidey feckers my money.

Pablo76

Just a quick update in case anyone else was wondering:

two options were given when using my family plan link, in order to show you live at the same address. Either use location accuracy or manually enter the address.

So in short, easy to access a family account from anywhere!

diarm

I did a 3 month trial with Google Music, a month with Apple Music and a few months with Spotify and to be honest, they're all excellent in their own way and all offer great value for music.

Settled on Spotify because I love the discover music and song radio features but there's feck all between them.

And €15 for six of us to have our own accounts can't be argued with.