Stabbing of Yousef Makki

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I’ve never heard of the case but it says he wasn’t convicted of murder because it was deemed self defence? Which is weird, because he initially lied about being the one who stabbed him (so he was detained and imprisoned for obstruction of justice, of sorts?).

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Hard to have an opinion on it without knowing more, or knowing what the killer knows.

Sounds like they were all playing with fire though, if they were carrying knives and robbing dealers.

Feel sorry for his mum.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I’ve been following this quite closely as it’s close to home. Yousef went to my old school, was friends with my little cousin.

Well anyway the guy who stabbed him just got released from jail. Just over 200 days in jail for killing someone.

Another case of money buying freedom.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-manchester-51632494
If they have that much money I'd think twice about what you say, they might sue the bollocks off you. He wasn't convicted of killing anyone, be careful.

macheda14

If they have that much money I'd think twice about what you say, they might sue the bollocks off you. He wasn't convicted of killing anyone, be careful.
He didn’t murder him, but he accidentally killed him in self defence. For which he went to jail.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
He didn’t murder him, but he accidentally killed him in self defence. For which he went to jail.
According to the reports I’ve read he went to jail for carrying a knife and lying to the police. He wasn’t found to have had any legal responsibility for the death.

Is this incorrect?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Did he not admit to stabbing Makki but got off the murder and manslaughter charges after claiming it was self defence
Hence no legal responsibility, and the jail sentence was for carrying a knife and lying to the police.

So the “200 days for killing somebody” comment in the OP is wholly untrue.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Looks like the knife just happened to place itself in the victims heart on it's own then.
Disregarding your attempt at sarcasm, it's just a statement of fact. He was cleared of murder, and he was jailed specifically for carrying a knife and for perverting the course of justice - hence the light sentence. He was not jailed for killing anybody, that statement is simply false and paints a narrative of getting off lightly for something, when he actually got what he was charged with.

That statement is a fact, and has nothing to do with whether it was self defence, whether it was murder, or whether he's guilty or innocent so your post is irrelevant.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Disregarding your attempt at sarcasm, it's just a statement of fact. He was cleared of murder, and he was jailed specifically for carrying a knife and for perverting the course of justice - hence the light sentence. He was not jailed for killing anybody, that statement is simply false and paints a narrative of getting off lightly for something, when he actually got what he was charged with.

That statement is a fact, and has nothing to do with whether it was self defence, whether it was murder, or whether he's guilty or innocent so your post is irrelevant.
Was it ever established who stabbed him?

Utdstar01

I understand that. I remember when this story first came out. As @Cutch already mentioned, Initially the story was that the boy was killed 'unintentionally' amidst a struggle and it seemed that there was some sort of admission to it but that it was self defence. I think I saw it on the BBC. Again, what's true or not, we probably won't ever know.

manutddjw

Not related to to this case, but I’m of the opinion that if you kill someone with a knife it should be treated as 1st degree murder. Every weekend there’s a story about an argument or robbery attempt that ended in a stabbing which some die from.

Why I think 1st degree murder is a necessity and curbs knife crime is me thinking this way. I’m not a complete scum bag. When I go out to a bar, I don’t get ready for my night by choosing my clothes, doing my hair, putting on cologne and putting a knife in my pocket. If you bring a knife with you when you go out, your premeditating using a knife if trouble arises.

macheda14

Hence no legal responsibility, and the jail sentence was for carrying a knife and lying to the police.

So the “200 days for killing somebody” comment in the OP is wholly untrue.

I mean the point OP makes is money buying freedom - he obviously had a very good legal team that got him pulling a knife and accidentally stabbing, and killing, someone in self defence down to possession of a knife. You can guarantee someone from a less affluent background would have gone away for a lot longer.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I mean the point OP makes is money buying freedom - he obviously had a very good legal team that got him pulling a knife and accidentally stabbing, and killing, someone in self defence down to possession of a knife. You can guarantee someone from a less affluent background would have gone away for a lot longer.
Maybe but isn't the story a bit more complex than just pulling a knife and accidentally stabbing someone? The lad who was killed had been threatening this lad saying he was going to knife him and sending him videos of a knife.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Not related to to this case, but I’m of the opinion that if you kill someone with a knife it should be treated as 1st degree murder. Every weekend there’s a story about an argument or robbery attempt that ended in a stabbing which some die from.

Why I think 1st degree murder is a necessity and curbs knife crime is me thinking this way. I’m not a complete scum bag. When I go out to a bar, I don’t get ready for my night by choosing my clothes, doing my hair, putting on cologne and putting a knife in my pocket. If you bring a knife with you when you go out, your premeditating using a knife if trouble arises.
Yeah I follow that line of thinking. If you have a knife then there's only one intended use for it. You know somebody is going to make a move on you, whether that's to kill or harm, but a knife is used to potentially kill. You know if you use it then that's the most likely outcome. So by that line of thought it's unbelievable to get away with the act of killing somebody.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Isn't that already the case?

Could that be because your situation is different and you're not actively under threat? Of course it's still a terrible idea, but scared people will often do irrational things.

macheda14

Maybe but isn't the story a bit more complex than just pulling a knife and accidentally stabbing someone? The lad who was killed had been threatening this lad saying he was going to knife him and sending him videos of a knife.
No the guy who was killed and the guy who accidentally stabbed him were friends and were attempting to mug a drug dealer. They would make videos together threatening other people.

The jury heard the stabbing was an "accident waiting to happen" as all three boys indulged in "idiotic fantasies" playing as middle-class gangsters.

Despite the privileged backgrounds of both defendants, they led "double lives", the court was told.

Calling each other "Bro" and "Fam" and the police "feds", the defendants and Yousef smoked cannabis and listened to rap and drill music, the trial heard.

They would post videos on social media, making threats and posing with "shanks" or knives.

Hours before the fatal stabbing, Boy B arranged a £45 cannabis deal and the teenagers planned to rob the drug dealer - a "soft target", the trial heard.

But the robbery went wrong and Yousef and Boy B fled, leaving Boy A to take a beating.

Boy A then later pushed Yousef who punched him in the face, the trial heard.

He told the jury Yousef pulled out a knife and he responded by also taking out a knife and his victim was accidentally stabbed.’

sebsheep

No the guy who was killed and the guy who accidentally stabbed him were friends and were attempting to mug a drug dealer. They would make videos together threatening other people.

The jury heard the stabbing was an "accident waiting to happen" as all three boys indulged in "idiotic fantasies" playing as middle-class gangsters.

Despite the privileged backgrounds of both defendants, they led "double lives", the court was told.

Calling each other "Bro" and "Fam" and the police "feds", the defendants and Yousef smoked cannabis and listened to rap and drill music, the trial heard.

They would post videos on social media, making threats and posing with "shanks" or knives.

Hours before the fatal stabbing, Boy B arranged a £45 cannabis deal and the teenagers planned to rob the drug dealer - a "soft target", the trial heard.

But the robbery went wrong and Yousef and Boy B fled, leaving Boy A to take a beating.

He told the jury Yousef pulled out a knife and he responded by also taking out a knife and his victim was accidentally stabbed.’
https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...news/yousef-makki-trial-shown-selfie-16521532

This is what I was talking about, the messages and stuff appear in the last part of the article.

Lay

Is there a point to mention what music he liked and the terms they used to call each other? Seems odd reporting that.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Is there a point to mention what music he liked and the terms they used to call each other? Seems odd reporting that.
I think it was reported because video of these private school kids pretending to be gang members were part of the evidence in court that was used (I assume) to demonstrate that they frequently behaved in a particular way that included knives and fake threats to stab each other.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
They sound like right clips. The dealer was probably just some lad sorting his mates out as well.

Thankfully no one else got hurt.

Could that be because your situation is different and you're not actively under threat?
If you go to Manchester Grammar then neither are you.

They sound like right idiots reading that article but every posh school has them.