Standard of goalkeeping in the PL

Suedesi

Seems abysmal at the moment. Kepa's troubles are well documented, Ederson and Pickford with howlers this week, Pickford especially seems like a repeat offender. Just flapping at crosses, punching it straight to the nearest attacker and just going in the air and cleaning everyone but the ball. :lol:

Scary to think he's England's #1

MrBrightside1989

Nick Pope just had a clanger if his own and gave away a penalty. Henderson could be England number 1 and Man Utd number 2 very soon.

Foxbatt

John Pope probably was a better keeper when he played than Nick Pope.

Ludens the Red

Goalkeepers are better, faster and more technical than ever.
Goalkeepers like Schmeichel, Toldo, Peruzzi, Seaman, Khan and van Der Sar are simply not at the level of current day keepers like Kepa, Alison, Ederson and Pickford and would not last in modern day football.
Those goalkeepers never played in attacking teams with high lines and high press which every team in the world now plays with.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Goalkeepers like Schmeichel, Toldo, Peruzzi, Seaman, Khan and van Der Sar are simply not at the level of current day keepers like Kepa, Alison, Ederson and Pickford and would not last in modern day football.
Those goalkeepers never played in attacking teams with high lines and high press which every team in the world now plays with.
The feck? Do you realize VDS was the OG sweeper keeper?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
No white text?

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Lmfao imagine saying them legendary names are not at the level of kepa !!!
Id take Van der sar out of Ajaxs boardroom now over kepa.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
10/10 wumming

padr81

Supports
Man City
I can't believe people took that serious.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Think the standard is way better than it was even 10 years ago, used to be a lot of poor keepers in the bottom half of the league. If you think Pickford is poor I watched Scott Carson playing a full season playing for us.

Guys like Ederson and Pope been very consistant over last few years, the odd bad game like tonight is part and parcel of being a keeper.

One I don't actually rate is Ramsdale at Sheffield United. Reminds me of Paul Robinson in that he's very slow to get down to shots. Thought he was at fault for plenty of goals at Bournemouth last year and dosen't dominate his box at all so think that's a massive downgrade for Sheffield post Henderson.

Foxbatt

I can't believe that we had Roy Carroll as keeper for a long time under SAF. But he certainly made the save of the PL so I guess I should not be surprised.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Almunia was number one for ages at Arsenal aswell, incredibly average for a regular top 4 side.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Think the standard is way better than it was even 10 years ago, used to be a lot of poor keepers in the bottom half of the league. If you think Pickford is poor I watched Scott Carson playing a full season playing for us.

Guys like Ederson and Pope been very consistant over last few years, the odd bad game like tonight is part and parcel of being a keeper.

One I don't actually rate is Ramsdale at Sheffield United. Reminds me of Paul Robinson in that he's very slow to get down to shots. Thought he was at fault for plenty of goals at Bournemouth last year and dosen't dominate his box at all so think that's a massive downgrade for Sheffield post Henderson.
Yeah agreed, there was a lot of more of horrendous errors back then again, for example with Kepa as poor as he's been in terms of saving I can't recall him making such a bad error in terms of what should be an easy catch falling through his hands (the Mane pass you can take on the chin as with the demand to play out from the back every keeper will do that every now and again, even Alisson has) like Carson did for England for example.

And the very best you can argue is as strong in terms of numbers we have seen for a while. Courtois, Oblak, Alisson, MATS and Neuer don't look out of place in a comparison to the best of previous eras in my opinion.

meamth

He's right though, players are faster nowadays.

Kepa is obviously not better than the names he wrote, but Kepa is obviously a modern day goalkeeper.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I can't believe that we had Roy Carroll as keeper for a long time under SAF. But he certainly made the save of the PL so I guess I should not be surprised.
He was brought to the club to be Barthez nr. 2. Tim Howard replaced Barthez and after the 03/04 season where Howard had a few howlers (notably against Porto) Carroll naturally got more playtime the season after. Nothing wrong with having Carroll as the nr. 2 keeper. The nr. 1 spot is the one that was trouble.

mu4c_20le

Roy Carroll is a legend, he will go down as the biggest advocate for goal line technology.