Television Star Trek

dinostar77

Nooooooooo, damn it have to wait for season 3.

Oh well, can check out whatever "Star Trek Shorts" is.

Eric_the_Red99

Seems like that cliffhanger ending was very much a homage to Best of Both Worlds part one, which is a very high bar to reach for. This season has confirmed SNW as the best Trek since TNG, in my opinion, so it’s entirely fitting that they’re aiming for those kind of heights. It’s going to be a long wait to find out what happens though.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Seems like that cliffhanger ending was very much a homage to Best of Both Worlds part one, which is a very high bar to reach for. This season has confirmed SNW as the best Trek since TNG, in my opinion, so it’s entirely fitting that they’re aiming for those kind of heights. It’s going to be a long wait to find out what happens though.
Basically every TNG season finished with a two parter.

dinostar77

I'd disagree, i'd say its more in keeping with the season 2 cliffhanger where the jem hadar announce their presence by having a jem hadar fighter ship do a kamakaze run into the USS Oddessy (looks same as picards enterprise) and it destroys itself and the USS Oddessy. Sisko and crew watch on in shock, its basically the start of the dominion war and lets the federation know how high the stakes are.

On a sidenote, i love how the gorn are a lizard/reptile race, its much more interesting as an enemy. The Xindi were ok, but the gorn have a menancing xenomorph aspect to them.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Complete package this episode. I could use 5 more this season, but still, even chill captain Pike was bit on the edge, and Spock was finally serious, in all of his seriousness.

At first glance, this one looked like many things. Dino Crisis, Resident Evil, Mass Effect, Alien... so many details, yet at some point, fitting for the sake of pacing and sense of invasion.

Not too shabby for a New Trek. SNW and Foundation have been a decent watch so far.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
You must not have watched any Star Trek since TNG then.

Norman Brownbutter

I'd disagree, i'd say its more in keeping with the season 2 cliffhanger where the jem hadar announce their presence by having a jem hadar fighter ship do a kamakaze run into the USS Oddessy (looks same as picards enterprise) and it destroys itself and the USS Oddessy. Sisko and crew watch on in shock, its basically the start of the dominion war and lets the federation know how high the stakes are.

On a sidenote, i love how the gorn are a lizard/reptile race, its much more interesting as an enemy. The Xindi were ok, but the gorn have a menancing xenomorph aspect to them.
Wouldn't be hard since thats clearly where they ripped off the idea from. And it's not even subtle about it. The intro episode even had a "newt" type character. SNWs is absolutely shameless in its pilfering of other trek episodes, books and other sci fi in general.

dinostar77

Wouldn't be hard since thats clearly where they ripped off the idea from. And it's not even subtle about it. The intro episode even had a "newt" type character. SNWs is absolutely shameless in its pilfering of other trek episodes, books and other sci fi in general.
Borrowing from others isnt an issue whe its executed so well.

TNG and DS9 were such highwater marks for trek. Different time in television then when shows were serialized and the networks wanted 24 episodes. We ended up with some fillers and ropey episodes. However it gave them more screen time for characters. Now we have 10 episodes a season and its not really enough. If they could break the wall of a episode being 50-55mins long and go into 90mins that would have served SNW so well.

Theres been a few episodes this season that deserved a longer run time to tell the story. Anyway its a high mark for Trek. Lower Decks to be fair has been great as well. Thry can pinch all the ideas they want as long as they keep delivering. The less said about Discovery and Picard S1 & S2 the better.

Bole Top

forget the 90's, even shows like Walking Dead had 15 episodes per season so it doesn't make sense for any ST show to be stuck in current format. it's not like we're seeing much of space, different planets or even different species so we could say expanded season would require much, much bigger budget.

what we have now is bare-bone ST, as they barely leave the ship or even show other ships and I can live with that, but if that's how it's gonna be, just expand it to 13 episodes at least. getting to know the characters is fine but these aren't new characters and ultimately, I'm here to see them actually explore and do stuff in space, not in their quarters or Los Angeles from the past.

excellent ending of a season obviously, but that's what I expected as it's been too long since last similar episode. If I had to rate this season, I'd give it a 7-7.5.

Norman Brownbutter

Borrowing from others isnt an issue whe its executed so well.

TNG and DS9 were such highwater marks for trek. Different time in television then when shows were serialized and the networks wanted 24 episodes. We ended up with some fillers and ropey episodes. However it gave them more screen time for characters. Now we have 10 episodes a season and its not really enough. If they could break the wall of a episode being 50-55mins long and go into 90mins that would have served SNW so well.

Theres been a few episodes this season that deserved a longer run time to tell the story. Anyway its a high mark for Trek. Lower Decks to be fair has been great as well. Thry can pinch all the ideas they want as long as they keep delivering. The less said about Discovery and Picard S1 & S2 the better.
Borrowing is fine, lifting story beats and directly copy and pasting is not. And neither is talking other peoples work and not giving them credit for. SNWs is guilty of all of things. Shamelessly guilty of it.

Norman Brownbutter

I’ve watched it all, in fact, and that is my opinion. You’re entitled to your opinion. Don’t really see the need for pointless, snarky, gate-keeping comments like this, to be honest.
Well, that's how the world works, friend. If you say something dumb like the power puff girls is better than the wire, Shockingly enough other people will comment on it. That's not gatekeeping, that's an online internet forum.

That'sHernandez

Well, that's how the world works, friend. If you say something dumb like the power puff girls is better than the wire, Shockingly enough other people will comment on it. That's not gatekeeping, that's an online internet forum.
You’re a bit insufferable, aren’t you?

Red_toad

forget the 90's, even shows like Walking Dead had 15 episodes per season so it doesn't make sense for any ST show to be stuck in current format. it's not like we're seeing much of space, different planets or even different species so we could say expanded season would require much, much bigger budget.

what we have now is bare-bone ST, as they barely leave the ship or even show other ships and I can live with that, but if that's how it's gonna be, just expand it to 13 episodes at least. getting to know the characters is fine but these aren't new characters and ultimately, I'm here to see them actually explore and do stuff in space, not in their quarters or Los Angeles from the past.

excellent ending of a season obviously, but that's what I expected as it's been too long since last similar episode. If I had to rate this season, I'd give it a 7-7.5.
Bar 3 episodes, this season hasn't been very good at all. Season finale was very good, shame they can't consistently replicate it.

Lastwolf

You must not have watched any Star Trek since TNG then.
Sure, he's being a tad hyperbolic, but if you reframe his point slightly and group TNG as that era of shows, i.e including DS9 and a solid half of Voyager, I would say it's a pretty spot on take.

I mean it's massively helped by the fact the episode count is literally a 3rd of something like DS9 or Voyager, but there wasn't really a miss episode this season, the cartoon one was a tiny bit meh for me, but there was some straight bangers this season.

I've said it before but I keep thinking it, this show makes me angry at the same time, because HOW is this soo good compared to the shite that was Discovery post season 2-ish and Picard season 1 and 2. It's basically the same people in charge.

That'sHernandez

Sure, he's being a tad hyperbolic, but if you reframe his point slightly and group TNG as that era of shows, i.e including DS9 and a solid half of Voyager, I would say it's a pretty spot on take.

I mean it's massively helped by the fact the episode count is literally a 3rd of something like DS9 or Voyager, but there wasn't really a miss episode this season, the cartoon one was a tiny bit meh for me, but there was some straight bangers this season.

I've said it before but I keep thinking it, this show makes me angry at the same time, because HOW is this soo good compared to the shite that was Discovery post season 2-ish and Picard season 1 and 2. It's basically the same people in charge.
I guess they had a learning curve and finally found the right formula. With a bit of luck future Trek shows will be good and comparable to SNW in quality

Big Andy

Bloke
Just watched the last episode, really enjoyed it after the musical episode. They should've had a couple more episodes with the Gorn in this series. They introduced them in the first episode or two and then nothing until the end. Whilst the standalone episodes in the middle were really good, I honestly think that there should've been more Gorn episodes in the middle.

With this strike going on, I doubt we'll see the conclusion to this for a good 18 months to two years.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I echo the statement above that this show is the best Trek since TNG. Let's not forget the snooze fest that was early DS9 seasons, it only really started to get going once the Klingons arrived. Same scenario with Voyager with the Borg. Even TNG took time to bed in, the first season in particular was average until it found its feet.

So far SNW has started off very strong and its not because of less episodes, as Discovery and Picard had the same amount and were both awful. I think it helps a lot that they've reverted back to the original episodic format rather than having a big season long story arc. Along with solid characters who all seem to get good air time and aren't annoying or forgettable. More to the point, it doesn't take itself too seriously, it's got that fun and charm that TOS had and that allows it some breathing room. It's clear the cast has a lot of fun filming the show and that resonates well through the episodes.

About time we had a good Trek show. I've not enjoyed any of the modern Trek, Picard S3 included.

Bobski

Have got around to watching Strange New Worlds, finished up the first season last night, and I have been having a great time with it. An unexpectedly great time, given the dogshit that Picard and Discovery have been. Likeable crew, great visuals, playful but serious as well, feels as they have finally struck the right balance between evolving the formula while keeping the feel of classic ST.

Less of the social commentary as written by 16 year olds compared to Picard/Discovery. Still there of course, as it has always been in Trek, but in a much more organic way that doesn't have me rolling my eyes every 5 mins at the writers.

Loon

:lol:
After all these years, I've finally finished ENTERPRISE. My God, that final episode really is as terrible as people say. And that's saying something with ENTERPRISE.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
After all these years, I've finally finished ENTERPRISE. My God, that final episode really is as terrible as people say. And that's saying something with ENTERPRISE.
It was terrible, but the final two years were very good imo. Certainly much better than the writing in Discovery or Picard.

Big Andy

Bloke
Been going though a condensed rewatch of DS9 as I’ve not seen it since it was released. Just watching episodes that stand out or drive storyline, already on S4 when Worf turns up and the dominion threat ramps up.

dinostar77

Been going though a condensed rewatch of DS9 as I’ve not seen it since it was released. Just watching episodes that stand out or drive storyline, already on S4 when Worf turns up and the dominion threat ramps up.
my favorite star trek show. very dark. there are some fantastic episodes even before S4.

Duet S1
Whisper S2
Second Skin S3
Improbable Cause/The Die is Cast S3

Obviously in S6 you have one of the greatest ST episodes ever. "In the pale moonlight"

Big Andy

Bloke
my favorite star trek show. very dark. there are some fantastic episodes even before S4.

Duet S1
Whisper S2
Second Skin S3

Obviously in S6 you have one of the greatest ST episodes ever. "In the pale moonlight"
Yeah i started in S1 and just watched the story driven episodes.

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion

Duet S1
Whisper S2
Second Skin S3

Not enough people talk about these two. Great episodes.

Big Andy

Bloke
So I’m now into S5, and I was wondering. When Odo is turned from a changeling into a solid, do you reckon they game him a giant cock?

Did odo (as a shapeshifter) give himself a trouser python? If so would he keep it as a solid?

Herman Toothrot

So I’m now into S5, and I was wondering. When Odo is turned from a changeling into a solid, do you reckon they game him a giant cock?

Did odo (as a shapeshifter) give himself a trouser python? If so would he keep it as a solid?
I can't quite remember his relationship status at this point, but he does very well for himself. I think we all know why.

stevoc

Did they even give him one?

He was being punished after all. Having to sit down to piss is not something I'd wish on anyone.