Television Star Trek

dinostar77

A musical star trek. Wtf? Very disney in execution.

I will never watch that episode again, (i hate musicals).

Last edited:

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Spock should never sing, unless it's prog metal. That's a nice kumbaya episode, before finale. Not that much time to show something of big scope.

It clearly needs 15-20 episodes per season, in which episode 9 in old trek, they were just starting to show glimpse of a big picture.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Spock should never sing, unless it's prog metal. That's a nice kumbaya episode, before finale. Not that much time to show something of big scope.

It clearly needs 15-20 episodes per season, in which episode 9 in old trek, they were just starting to show glimpse of a big picture.
I don’t think there’s a big picture; the character development is serialised while the storytelling is episodic. It works really well and makes for much easier viewing.

Now if they can sack off the stupid chief engineer for a better, less kitschy, actor it’s a 10/10 season from me

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I’m far more fine with a musical Star Trek than I am with a “super secret assassin doctors murder diplomats during peacetime & Starfleet covers it up because cool” Star Trek.

As a show that’s been going in various forms for 60 years it’s amazing they hadn’t already done something like this tbf. There were certainly more than enough terrible holodeck episodes that skirted with the same sort of tone. Plus ‘the musical episode’ has been a staple of episodic shows since the 90s.

That'sHernandez

It’s a million times better than the Voyager holodeck episodes, and the stupid Vegas holodeck from DS9. There’s been far worse in 90s/2000s Trek if you choose to look for it.

I think what I like about these episodes (like the dress up one in season 1) is you can see the cast had a lot of fun with filming it.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I don’t think there’s a big picture; the character development is serialised while the storytelling is episodic. It works really well and makes for much easier viewing.

Now if they can sack off the stupid chief engineer for a better, less kitschy, actor it’s a 10/10 season from me
They're the only hope for humanity.

Hemmer was definitely underrated.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I’m far more fine with a musical Star Trek than I am with a “super secret assassin doctors murder diplomats during peacetime & Starfleet covers it up because cool” Star Trek.

As a show that’s been going in various forms for 60 years it’s amazing they hadn’t already done something like this tbf. There were certainly more than enough terrible holodeck episodes that skirted with the same sort of tone. Plus ‘the musical episode’ has been a staple of episodic shows since the 90s.
I remember Buffy did it right. Fitted well to Whedon's self aware style.

ST Discovery did something similar to that, and... yeah.

dinostar77

Think I'll skip that one like the episode in the last season where they were all dressed up. I'll just read the plot.
Theres bits inbetween the music where there is dialogue.

theres a developement with la'an and kirk. Also klingons singing was funny.

That'sHernandez

Theres bits inbetween the music where there is dialogue.

theres a developement with la'an and kirk. Also klingons singing was funny.
I don't think the development between La'an and Kirk is anything more than a nod to Wrath of Khan. I think the main development was Spock seeming to detach himself from his human side following the break up with nurse Chapel.

Hamnat

I can see how if you hate musicals in general this would be unwatchable. But, what I always like with musical episodes is you get to see the actors show more of their personal range. Normally you can't see who is actually musically talented or has a nice voice, or can dance etc. Unless you see them in another project where they got to show that off.

I just caught up last night watching the last 3 episodes but this was shocking to me. The Star trek crews over the years have bent rules and such before. But have they ever flat out straight up committed a cold blooded murder and had multiple crew cover it up? I am not as well versed as other on every episode of every show but that was DARK.

That'sHernandez

I can see how if you hate musicals in general this would be unwatchable. But, what I always like with musical episodes is you get to see the actors show more of their personal range. Normally you can't see who is actually musically talented or has a nice voice, or can dance etc. Unless you see them in another project where they got to show that off.

I just caught up last night watching the last 3 episodes but this was shocking to me. The Star trek crews over the years have bent rules and such before. But have they ever flat out straight up committed a cold blooded murder and had multiple crew cover it up? I am not as well versed as other on every episode of every show but that was DARK.
Sisko in In The Pale Moonlight utilises Garak’s skills in a morally questionable way.

And then there’s Starfleet’s Section 31. It’s not unknown to ST canon, though I can understand why that specific development is jarring for some

Big Andy

Bloke

I must have fallen asleep during that bit, I couldn't get on board with the episode at all tbh. Seems like I missed the best bit (apart from the Boyband Klingons, which was hilarious)

Mercurial

The musical episode was pretty great! The production quality was off the charts. Klingons were fantastic.

Big Andy

Bloke
The musical episode was pretty great! The production quality was off the charts.
Annoying that everyone has West End Musical quality singing voices though, nobody was properly giving it Liam Gallagher type swagger either, or rapping.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Being a huge star trek fan, ive seen pretty much every series mutliple times (NuTrek excluded). Ive never watched all of TOS. I dont know why, but the 60s vibe puts me off everytime i start it.

If you like, you can start off with the serious eps, which have less 60s nonsense: Balance of terror, City on the edge of forever, The enterprise incident, The doomsday machine, and my favourite, an episode that could be used to define Star Trek: Devil in the dark.

After that there's a bunch of goofy stuff: going to the Nazi planet or the mob planet or the Roman planet, tribbles, Shore Leave, Mirror, Mirror, and some that is a mix of goofy and serious: Corbomite Maneuver, Arena (the Gorn episode), Galileo seven, and a bunch of others I've forgotten.

The one part where TOS is comfortably clear of TNG is the movies: I love 1 though it divides opinion, 2 is a classic, 3 is good, 4 is the sweetest sci-fi movie ever made, 5 sucks, and 6 is good again. Would need to watch a little bit of the TV show to get the character dynamics before starting the movies.

Loon

:lol:
Finally back on SNW with season 1. Anson Mount is great, even if they’ve abandoned him being Pike and just channeling the shit out of Kirk/Shatner now.

I cannot stand Noonien Singh. British accented, constipated acting style of the Malcolm Reed school.

Rest of the cast are fine, Jess Bush the standout (so far).

Plots are decent and I like they’ve stuck largely to the “new story each week” of TOS.

Last edited:

Mercurial

If you like, you can start off with the serious eps, which have less 60s nonsense: Balance of terror, City on the edge of forever, The enterprise incident, The doomsday machine, and my favourite, an episode that could be used to define Star Trek: Devil in the dark.
Had to go watch this again, it's a great episode of classic trek.

That'sHernandez

Annoying that everyone has West End Musical quality singing voices though, nobody was properly giving it Liam Gallagher type swagger either, or rapping.
I read they specifically tailored the songs to work with each actors' vocal range, which makes sense

Big Andy

Bloke
I read they specifically tailored the songs to work with each actors' vocal range, which makes sense
yeah that's all well and good, but if it was me doing it, I have no vocal range other than "strangled cat being bummed by an elephant" so they would have to have me doing something else entirely.

That'sHernandez

yeah that's all well and good, but if it was me doing it, I have no vocal range other than "strangled cat being bummed by an elephant" so they would have to have me doing something else entirely.
I assume you don't have years of theatre/acting school behind you, though?

Mercurial

They could auto tune you like the klingons :D

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
I'm still punishing myself plowing through Discovery after starting and finishing SNW S1 before it.

Part of it feels very weird to watch knowing SNW is set before it with the Enterprise crew being a little different. One thing that's a nifty detail though (unless they never intended that) that Pike is made to look a little younger in SNW with his hairdo etc.

Just finished Discovery S2. I thought the last episode of that was pretty well done after thinking the Red Angel stuff was a bit silly (and to a degree still is). Does Discovery get better or worse in S3?

That'sHernandez

I'm still punishing myself plowing through Discovery after starting and finishing SNW S1 before it.

Part of it feels very weird to watch knowing SNW is set before it with the Enterprise crew being a little different. One thing that's a nifty detail though (unless they never intended that) that Pike is made to look a little younger in SNW with his hairdo etc.

Just finished Discovery S2. I thought the last episode of that was pretty well done after thinking the Red Angel stuff was a bit silly (and to a degree still is). Does Discovery get better or worse in S3?
Worse

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

In my opinion, gets worse in S3. It's where I finally gave up with the show.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
The musical episode was pretty great! The production quality was off the charts. Klingons were fantastic.
It was actually really good apart from the songs weren't all that.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics

Discovery season 4 is endless comedy central casting diversity cast hugging and talking about their feeling with a five minute plot phoned in. Possibly the worst Trek ever made. Season 3 is just not very good.

Last edited: